Broken Gears: Fixing Top Gear

Yeah, it's only 1 episode into the new version, and talking about fixing it might be premature.  But... lets spitball it anyway.  I'm sure as the weeks go on we will have more and more material to reference, but lets start the talk now.

Share Post

Start with the aftershow and add segments with Sabine, LeBlanc.

• Subtract the rally car?
  • Make sure the hosts have plenty of room to go off script and keep the conversation natural
  • Change up the music supervision

Share Post

Does anyone think LeBlanc adds anything to the mix? (If it can be said to be a mix with only 2 hosts.) I find him bland and unremarkable. Is he supposed to have some kind of car enthusiast background? Is the too tight leather jacket he wears supposed to imply he's hip in a Brando-ish kind of way?

I watched the little snippets of Grand Tour that are on Amazon (nothing about the show, just about them trying to come up with a name) and as much as I am over Clarkson, the 3 of them together have an undeniable chemistry as well as the confidence that comes from years on the most widely watched show in the world.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Does anyone think LeBlanc adds anything to the mix? (If it can be said to be a mix with only 2 hosts.) I find him bland and unremarkable. Is he supposed to have some kind of car enthusiast background? Is the too tight leather jacket he wears supposed to imply he's hip in a Brando-ish kind of way?

That's a tricky question. I think he's totally unsuited to this kind of television. That said, he was the better of the pair. His smarmy charm was slick and occasionally actually amusing, albeit totally not right, or enough, for this show. Also, it all seemed scripted. 

This is versus Evans, who was just shouty, annoying and in his own was even less spontaneous than LeBlanc. And this is from a radio guy, who should have spontaneity down pat. 

Does that mean somehow you keep LeJoey and ditch Evans?  No. Really they both need to go. But if you HAD to keep one, LeBlanc's main sin, besides not being as spontaneous enough, and relying on far too many "I am not British and don't know even basic things about the UK, like knowing the name of big towns/cities that aren't London" jokes, is that he IS in fact not British. 

I'm not being facetious here. I think while Grand Tour, despite the very British hosts and show name, will have to be a little more international (including America) to live up to it's new home. But conversely, Top Gear, has to cleave to it's core home audience. LeBlanc is very popular in the UK for many reasons--not only Friends but Episodes, but he's already eating away at that popularity there with stuff like the Cenotaph incident. 

Oh did anyone else see the irony that the Extra Gear host was about twice as good at his job than either of the main show hosts?

Share Post

I thought that LeBlanc was far better then Chris Evans and would keep him over Evans. He seems to drive reasonably well and who knows what he actually knows about cars. LeBlanc was far more comfortable and fun to watch. I think that if you find the right co-host and give him some time to settle in and LeBlanc will be just fine.

I am sure they will ditch the "I don't know anything about the UK" schtick but I hope it is sooner rather then later.

Share Post

The aftershow is a little too brief to serve as Top Gear, which is the primary reason I suggested adding segments with Sabine and LeBlanc. But I'd be okay with instead adding others as long as there is some natural rapport.

Share Post

If they're going to put their hosts in crap cars and send them out on road trips, they need to be able to fix the cars themselves. Watching a Hollywood star sit in a car that's being towed and pretend to drive? Boring! At the very least, make some jokes about how that's how it's done in the movies. (Unless, of course, they did, and the segment was so dull that I missed them.)

Share Post

Yup. They chose hosts that might like cars but cannot work with cars. This means that we are not going to see anything like the classic build an electric car or hybrid boat/car. Nor will we see the grand trips through strange areas because they cannot fix their own cars. They went with big names but that handicapped the show. It might have been better to go with with people who were gear heads with personalities and not known to anyone. At least then you can see them get into trouble, get themselves out of trouble and grow to know the people.

Share Post

Top Gear audience drops by a third on second episode

My attention dropped by more than a third in the second minute of the first episode.

3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

They chose hosts that might like cars but cannot work with cars. This means that we are not going to see anything like the classic build an electric car or hybrid boat/car. Nor will we see the grand trips through strange areas because they cannot fix their own cars.

Did you notice that they also did not even select their own cars?

Share Post

Apparently the second episode was in the can before viewer feedback from the premiere could be taken into account. Starting with episode three, the powers that be have responded to the awful viewer feedback by 1) asking Evans to use more of his indoor voice and 2) getting rid of the Clarkson references, like the "on that bombshell" jokes.

Share Post

I might watch the second episode on YouTube today. Maybe but maybe not. That is not a good sign

Share Post

I tried watching the 2nd episode and I don't think I even lasted a minute before I gave up. (ProfCrash, let me know if you get past LeBlanc wheeling Chris in on a gurney.) I have no desire to even attempt to watch ep 3 next week.  Top Gear US is looking better and better.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, halopub said:

getting rid of the Clarkson references, like the "on that bombshell" jokes.

I'd also like it if they got rid of the Stig and the "some say" jokes, which I never liked in the first place. Sometimes they were funny but more often forced and unfunny. Stig was a creation of Clarkson and his original producer from their public school days. Let these 2 come up with their own pseudonym  for the show's race driver.

Edited by Quilt Fairy.

Share Post

100 times better than anything on Top Gear now... because its loose and spontaneous.  Things the current Gear has in zero share.

Its just a grumpy old asshole building a box.  But it feels authentic vs. the scripted to hell bullshit on Evans era TG.

Share Post

Evans tweets have been very defensive but that is no surprise. There was enough of a backlash when he was announced that the Powers That Be should have known he was a poor choice to host.

Share Post