All Episodes Talk: Around the World One Restaurant at a Time

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

I absolutely love this show and it is one of the reasons we get Netflix. My husband is an amateur chef but that isn't why I watch it. I just find the individual journeys riveting. On Season 2, ep 1, I wasn't grabbed by the Chicago/Alinea chef until

Spoiler

his amazing squamous cell cancer story

. After that he completely owned me. 

Share Post

My hubs and I have adored Grant Atchaz for years, since he had been with The French Laundry. We have never eaten his food, but we have always closely followed his career.  I enjoyed the chef from the South, Sean something. 

Share Post

The show is beautifully done, I think. I have to say, the episodes this season didn't make me hungry like a few of last season's did. I respect the chefs, their stories and what they do, but I didn't see a lot that made me think "wow, I want to eat that!!" even though the food was gorgeous (though I think I would have happily eaten at Pujol). I thought Grant Atchaz had a very compelling story and of all the chefs I've seen profiled, he seems to be the most artistic in his vision - I mean food that floats?!? And he (or one of his chefs) pulled it off. To me, he's kind of a step beyond a chef and takes creative thinking to an unusual, interesting level, which would make for a curious, kind of fun dining experience (but not at $500 a pop). I also really enjoyed the Alex Atala and Gaggan episodes - they were both very interesting to me. Alex Atala seems like a great guy (I looked up his Twitter feed) and Gaggan was kind of from out of left field because I wouldn't have considered Indian cuisine to be the basis of one of the top five restaurants in the world. But there it is and I liked his story.

Share Post

I love Slovenia and Ana's ep made me want to go back because I think it's stunningly beautiful country that benefited from infrastructure and natural resources so it survived communism and the civil war and now I want to try her food!

Share Post

I have been to Alinea three times now and if you ever have the means to go, I highly recommend it -- worth the expense, worth the trip to Chicago.   When I last went a few years back,they offered a tasting menu for $150 that was about 12-15 dishes and a tour menu for $250 that was 24-26 courses, plus you could also get wine pairings for an additional fee.

All three visits were memorable and the food was superb.  Grant Achatz came to my table to set up the last course on one of the visits (the dessert that you see done on the tabletop in the beginning of the episode) and it was all I could do to restrain myself from fangirling all over the place.

Edited by Decider.

Share Post

I finally binged season 2 and was mighty impressed with the production values and the storytelling. I knew nothing about these people except Grant (like most in Chicago) and Dominique. Each of these stories was very moving, showcased the redemptive and live-affirming (not just life-giving) quality of cooking and I wanted to eat everything. I was blown away by Ana's food and would eat all of it. Also, more than once, I freeze-framed so I could see WTH that gorgeous dish was! But the dish that stayed with me that I would so love to dip a home made tortilla into was that mole!

Edited by buttersister.

Share Post

Season 3 debuted yesterday. For some reason I never watch them in order just choose the food or country that looks interesting, so probably influenced by news I started with Vladimir Mukhin of White Rabbit in Moscow.  His food looked delicious but the dining room looked so fun and lovely. 

I was sort of surprised when they involved the Ukraine anx the sanctions but I made sense when it went to the actions of the government seizing food and the ways the shortages and skyrocketing prices would remind people of food shortages during the Cold War. Interesting that the locavore movement thrived and he was well placed to capitalize on  the interest.

Share Post

I guess I am the only one watching but I finally got around to Jeong Kwan’s ep which is actually the 1st of season 3 but I always decide based on mode and the scenery of the temple was breathtaking and temple food was fascinating because it's not a cuisine that is discussed often and certainly not so beautifully presented.

Share Post

Season 4 has started and it focuses on pastry chef. I enjoyed the first episode with Tosi even though I was familiar with her stoey, I still found it enjoyable.

Share Post

I was so excited to watch episode 2 of the newest season (4). My husband and I are going to Sicily in early October for our honeymoon, and there's nothing I look forward to more, than going to Noto and eating everything Corrado Assenza has in pastry shop, Caffè Sicilia.

Share Post