All Episodes Talk: Flipping In Flip Flops

The chevron is already dated. Bad enough to use it, bad enough to use it in such a "look at me!!!" black and white, but then to put in on the island? 

In two years, they'll have some TV couple wrinkling up their noses and sniffing, "This is all SO DATED. It will have to go!"

Share Post

I hated that chevron tile.  Like Tarek said, it was way too busy.  I wouldn't want it on my bathroom floor period but if it had to be there, just as an accent, not the whole damn floor.  And most certainly NOT on the island.  WTF?  What happened to just painting it?  At least that way if the buyer doesn't particularly care for the color, it's a relatively easy change. 

I know it's supposedly cost effective for them to use the same tile in all bathrooms and then again on the fireplace (or island) but to me, it screams "builder special."  I'd want it to look a little more custom and would rather have less expensive but different tile in each bathroom.  It doesn't have to be wildly different; they could do variations of the same color scheme or theme but not EXACTLY the same.

For house flipping, Orange County is insanely expensive.  I understand why we're seeing a lot of Garden Grove.  There are a lot of "starter" homes there with many built in the 80s so it's a prime location to find homes that need updating and where you can make a decent return on your investment. 

I was driving through Newport Beach maybe 2 months ago and saw a T&C Construction van, headed toward the peninsula.  I'm guessing they were headed to a job site.

Share Post

Maybe it doesn't make any sense but I would never want the same tile in my bathroom and in my kitchen or in any other living space. It would just remind me of the bathroom. Kind of like how some people don't want the toilet paper in the same grocery bag with the food I guess.

My guess is that they have regular realtors they work with who let them know about houses that are about to go on the market. My friend is working with a realtor to find a new home and her realtor was able to get her in to see a home before it was listed. 

Why would a realtor want to do themselves out of a commission? It makes more sense for a realtor to want to list the property and drive up the bids so they get a higher commission. I think it's more likely someone working for T&C have a way of finding these places (or, as someone above suggested, they have become so well-known that property sellers seek them out. Who knows - maybe there are fliers all over Garden Grove with T&C's website on it). 

Share Post

48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe it doesn't make any sense but I would never want the same tile in my bathroom and in my kitchen or in any other living space. It would just remind me of the bathroom. Kind of like how some people don't want the toilet paper in the same grocery bag with the food I guess.

Why would a realtor want to do themselves out of a commission? It makes more sense for a realtor to want to list the property and drive up the bids so they get a higher commission. I think it's more likely someone working for T&C have a way of finding these places (or, as someone above suggested, they have become so well-known that property sellers seek them out. Who knows - maybe there tare fliers all over Garden Grove with T&C's website on it). 

T&C do offer all cash and a quick close on properties.  If a seller is interested in getting their money ASAP, calling someone like T&C who've been around long enough to have a rep for reliability, could well make sense rather than waiting for an offer, having the buyer have to work to get financing and running the risk of the whole thing falling apart and having to start all over again.

Share Post

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:11 AM, Oldernowiser said:

The chevron is already dated. Bad enough to use it, bad enough to use it in such a "look at me!!!" black and white, but then to put in on the island? 

In two years, they'll have some TV couple wrinkling up their noses and sniffing, "This is all SO DATED. It will have to go!"

Yeah, I think the chevron tile (or, any tile) on the island is too limiting. In theory, they should just paint it a neutral color and call it a day. It would save tons of money but this is "drama" for a television show. That was the only thing I didn't like about the house. That island was way too in your face when you walked in the door.

Share Post

I wish they would revisit some of these houses to show us what the homeowners changed after they've lived in it for a while.  That black and white tile would have been the first thing to go.

ugly.

Share Post

38 minutes ago, Finagler said:

I wish they would revisit some of these houses to show us what the homeowners changed after they've lived in it for a while.  That black and white tile would have been the first thing to go.

ugly.

The thing is, I don't think they give a flip anymore about these houses. Yes, they want to make money and keep their reputations intact, but they must hate working together and making nice for the cameras. That's probably why they say, 'yeah, whatever' to each other's design suggestions. Or if they do protest, it sounds perfunctory. 

Share Post

I like Tarek's snarky "so what's new?!" retort when Christina was pushing her design on that tile...

Share Post

On 7/16/2017 at 7:32 PM, answerphone said:

I don't believe for a minute the majority of buyers would choose her wacky, bold designs. Everyone has their own taste and I'd guess there's plenty of negative comments, but they're not televised. For their company to have been successful, they would have a few stock favorites they usually choose from; white cabinets, dark cabinets, ditto the flooring, and light, medium and dark granite.  All of them in stock and ready to go. They wouldn't be wasting time going to building supply stores, sometimes with two young kids, if they're on a strict time line and doing multiple flips at once. It's all for TV. 

At last, a voice of reason.  She wouldn't be doing ANY shopping or designing for ANY flips, unless it's one chosen for filming.  They have a large staff who handles all of that stuff.  I would even go so far as to say that at this point they aren't even choosing which homes to buy anymore.

Share Post

On 7/18/2017 at 4:00 PM, doodlebug said:

T&C do offer all cash and a quick close on properties.  If a seller is interested in getting their money ASAP, calling someone like T&C who've been around long enough to have a rep for reliability, could well make sense rather than waiting for an offer, having the buyer have to work to get financing and running the risk of the whole thing falling apart and having to start all over again.

Yeah, in some of the episodes you can see a big banner on the dumpster saying they buy houses.

Share Post

So is that it? No new episodes? 

Share Post

On 7/26/2017 at 2:52 PM, topanga said:

So is that it? No new episodes? 

We've caught up with everything in the can and got past the divorce episodes.  They are currently filming new episodes that'll probably air around October to January.  I think this is the last season from their previous renewal.  Unless Tarek or Christina want to quit, I think they'll get another two to three season renewal.

Edited by saylubee.

Share Post

On 28/07/2017 at 11:02 PM, saylubee said:

They are currently filming new episodes that'll probably air around October to January.  

I was wondering about them.  So they are actually doing new episodes.  Why would anyone want to watch them, knowing all about their personal lives?  I was hoping that "Masters of Flip" would be on these forums - at least they seem to like each other.  I find though, that I am getting tired of their staging - same old, same old.

Share Post

Christina was on Access Hollywood Live today. She was partly promoting her sunglasses line. Apparently, the sunglass company saw her wearing their glasses and amazingly (not really) she's become their spokesperson. Anyway, she said they've filmed 5 episodes for Season 7 and have been contracted for 15 more. Overall, she was pleasant enough and discussed a new Flipping show they are producing. It's a couple with 2 kids flipping housesin Chicago. The $$$$$$$$ is rolling in. LOL!!!

Share Post

4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Christina was on Access Hollywood Live today. She was partly promoting her sunglasses line. Apparently, the sunglass company saw her wearing their glasses and amazingly (not really) she's become their spokesperson. Anyway, she said they've filmed 5 episodes for Season 7 and have been contracted for 15 more. Overall, she was pleasant enough and discussed a new Flipping show they are producing. It's a couple with 2 kids flipping housesin Chicago. The $$$$$$$$ is rolling in. LOL!!!

Does the world really need another flipping show? Jeez.

Share Post

29 minutes ago, topanga said:

Does the world really need another flipping show? Jeez.

Yeah, HGTV should just be called HGTV: Flipping. Gone are the days of one room being remodeled (Sarah Richardson or Candice Olson) or even just being remodeled to sell (Sabrina Soto or Clive Pearce). Also, the couple angle has been played to death.

Share Post

For those who miss Candice Olsen, Ion Life reruns her show.

Share Post

6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, HGTV should just be called HGTV: Flipping. Gone are the days of one room being remodeled (Sarah Richardson or Candice Olson) or even just being remodeled to sell (Sabrina Soto or Clive Pearce). Also, the couple angle has been played to death.

I enjoyed some of the competition shows they used to do ("Design Star") or some such, or where a designer comes and does a "makeover" of a lived in home (not remodeling, just design, paint, furniture, etc.) Those days are long gone. 

Share Post

I just watched a couple of the original T&C flipping shows.  One where they'd gone all out on the backyard, which didn't sell by the end of the show.  Next one they get an offer some high end property, Tarek underestimated the renovation costs by at least 100k.  Nothing major found, just upgrades needed in order to get top dollar.  No offer by the end of the show.  They had some master bedroom built (had to have a bedroom with an en suite) but the closet built wasn't wide enough to hold a hanger.  Thanks, producers for that one.  Like no seasoned contractor would know what the minimum dimension would be for a closet to hold a hanger?  And he was doing a reno in the same neighborhood.   Next one, flipper had home gutted but couldn't afford the reno.  House was in Laguna Beach, I think.  You could see the ocean, they made a huge deal about that, but you also faced a very busy roadway (beach was on other side of roadway).  Christina had to have some blue green tile (some pattern, not sure if you'd call it chevron) then decided she didn't like whatever.  Blue green was to make it feel more beachy.  You're at the beach.  Leave it all white and light and let the owners add accessories with color or they can redo.  That one also, no sale by the end of the show.

Totally agree about how they'd use the same cabinets, etc.  Use the normal white or dark cabinets.  Same for flooring.  Keep it nice and neutral.

Now one home in wherever, but seller said home hadn't been touched since 1940.  Ok, so it's a dump.  Tarek asked Christina before he committed to buying it.  She agreed.  Of course, she did nothing but bitch about it as they walked through the house.  Ewww it's so old and dated.  No shit, Sherlock.    This actual home, they sold.

Christina seems a bit too high maintenance and snobby to me.  I've not noticed it as much with the other female flippers. 

I'll watch this if there's really not much else on tv; it's become such a formula - white cabinets/dark floors or vice versa, granite or marble whatever, now adding reclaimed wood as one of their staples.  And let's tear down these walls.  Really pains me when there's interesting arches or woodwork and they just gut it.   Sometimes yes, they have to with teeny rooms, but it's always tearing out walls.  Sigh.   

Do any of these folks have a background in design?  

Share Post