All Episodes Talk: Flipping In Flip Flops

Also, one thing that bugs me about all the flips is they never have a bath tub in the master bedroom.

I can understand a shower in the master, but if there's a second bathroom there should be a tub in it. Two bathrooms and no tub? Stupid. Especially for a family that has little kids. Or a dog!

For that matter, what is the purpose of a breakfast bar in an open concept home where the dining table is less than a yard away anyway?

Easier to sling the hash over the counter than walk it over to the table, I guess. But it also speaks to this universal need to have "open concept" so you can cook and interact with your guests at the same time. So they can be sitting there on the bar stools at the counter drinking wine while you are fixing the meal. I guess that's a thing? God knows people keep talking about it on House Hunters. 

1.3 million for a 3-bed 2-bath house. Unbelievable.

Share Post

My issue with the whole breakfast bar thing is that it often means giving up closed cabinet space. I think that's a terrible trade-off. 

Share Post

We have an open breakfast bar on the outside of our kitchen. The other sides of the kitchen are lined, upper and lower, with cabinets and deep drawers, plus a small pantry. We have plenty of room for storage in the kitchen plus kids/guests sitting at the bar having a drink, snack, etc. I really think it depends on how large the kitchen is, how it's layed out and how each family uses their kitchen. Also, my husband and I have dinner at the bar every night when no one else is here. Very convenient!

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

We have an open breakfast bar on the outside of our kitchen. The other sides of the kitchen are lined, upper and lower, with cabinets and deep drawers, plus a small pantry. We have plenty of room for storage in the kitchen plus kids/guests sitting at the bar having a drink, snack, etc. I really think it depends on how large the kitchen is, how it's layed out and how each family uses their kitchen. Also, my husband and I have dinner at the bar every night when no one else is here. Very convenient!

Our kitchen is the same layout. It's always just the 2 of us, but we eat dinner in front of the TV, except in warmer weather when we spend all evening on the screened-in porch, where we have a lounging area and a table and chairs for dining.

Share Post

On 3/20/2017 at 0:15 PM, iMonrey said:

I can understand a shower in the master, but if there's a second bathroom there should be a tub in it. Two bathrooms and no tub? Stupid. Especially for a family that has little kids. Or a dog!

Easier to sling the hash over the counter than walk it over to the table, I guess. But it also speaks to this universal need to have "open concept" so you can cook and interact with your guests at the same time. So they can be sitting there on the bar stools at the counter drinking wine while you are fixing the meal. I guess that's a thing? God knows people keep talking about it on House Hunters. 

1.3 million for a 3-bed 2-bath house. Unbelievable.

We too have kitchen seating that we use far more often than our other dining options, and it was well worth the trade off of other storage for us. YMMV, of course. In California, $1.3 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house isn't all that out of the ordinary, particularly in a beach community. Our next door neighbors just purchased the "updated" house for $1.5 (bid up from the list of $1.3) and it is a 4/3 if I remember correctly (we are not at the beach).  Eliminating the tub in the master bedroom is super popular here, as well. We are remodeling our house (permits issue this week!) and are not having a bathtub in the master bathroom (though we will be keeping one elsewhere in the house).  We use the tub so infrequently that the expense as well as the limited space in a bathtub compared to the enormous shower we can have in virtually the same footprint was what sold us. Our shower will be about 8'x5' or so if I recall the plans correctly.  Here the trend in eliminating the bathtub from the house altogether is driven by making homes accessible for older buyers rather than younger (or making a house suitable for a family to stay in as parents become empty-nesters and then age). My understanding is that the enormous showers accommodate a kid-bath insert (like a plastic temporary tub you pop in and out each time as you need it and just fill up using the sprayer).  Popping in a plastic kid tub keeps the shower lip low rather than making you step way up and over a tub side, which is difficult for an elderly person.  It is easier to use a plastic tub for the kids for the few years they need a tub than it is to work out a solution for an elderly homeowner who may be unable to step up and over a tub side for 15+ years of home ownership.

Share Post

On 3/3/2017 at 0:00 AM, ByaNose said:

They did a nice Flip with the Latina Beach condo. It was an easy Flip and the price wasn't totally outrageous for the location & view. I wasn't totally crazy with the kitchen tile. I like the color but not the material. It looked a little Southwest to me. The bathroom did look nice once the extra closet was removed and the glass wall was put in pace. The bedrooms were small and there really wasn't too much you could do to mess them up. I didn't care for the outside color of the house. It looked so drab for the California beach. I would have gone more blue. It didn't have to be neon but a little brighter. I wonder if they ever sold it and for how much? Also, it was great to see Izzy back. He works really well with Tarik & Christina. 

I really didn't get the crowing over the view.  Yes, you saw water, but you were also right on a busy road, so I don't think that view was relaxing.  The houses further up the hill had a much better, unobstructed view, and the road wasn't so distracting.  The big sell was that you had a quarter of a mile shorter walk to the beach?  Nah not buying it.  That location was sort of shitty IMO.  It was cute, but not seven figures cute. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

Here the trend in eliminating the bathtub from the house altogether is driven by making homes accessible for older buyers rather than younger (or making a house suitable for a family to stay in as parents become empty-nesters and then age). My understanding is that the enormous showers accommodate a kid-bath insert (like a plastic temporary tub you pop in and out each time as you need it and just fill up using the sprayer).  Popping in a plastic kid tub keeps the shower lip low rather than making you step way up and over a tub side, which is difficult for an elderly person.  It is easier to use a plastic tub for the kids for the few years they need a tub than it is to work out a solution for an elderly homeowner who may be unable to step up and over a tub side for 15+ years of home ownership.

I bought a home with 2 bathrooms and one had a recently renovated tile shower with a 10 inch step-over. The other had the original tub/surround and I replaced the tub with a tile shower with a 7 inch step-over. I also went with the taller ADA toilets and single handle faucets in bathrooms/kitchen. The project manager fussed at me along the way but I kept insisting that I wanted what I wanted. What I got is perfect for me and my sister; we are in our 60s. When the time to sell comes, I'm sure there will be no shortage of boomers following along behind me who will appreciate two step-in showers (and no tub to clean!).

Share Post

19 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

Our shower will be about 8'x5' or so if I recall the plans correctly. 

How open is the shower? Very large showers are VERY drafty and it's easy to get cold while showering, particularly if the shower is open.

Share Post

15 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I really didn't get the crowing over the view.  Yes, you saw water, but you were also right on a busy road, so I don't think that view was relaxing.  The houses further up the hill had a much better, unobstructed view, and the road wasn't so distracting.  The big sell was that you had a quarter of a mile shorter walk to the beach?  Nah not buying it.  That location was sort of shitty IMO.  It was cute, but not seven figures cute. 

I think this must be a SoCal/non-SoCal thing. PCH is generally considered an exception to any rule about being on a busy road, and nothing commands a higher premium than that short a walking distance to the beach. Keep in mind houses with addresses right on PCH can run in the ten-figure range quite easily. It is a location that until the polar ice caps melt will never lose value (heck, being that close and slightly up hill might be ocean front with no road in a matter of years!). PCH is also not a "busy road" in terms of commute, necessarily. It is busier weekends (when homeowner just walks to the beach). The native Angeleno in me would live in a trailer on that dirt. 

24 minutes ago, WildPlum said:

How open is the shower? Very large showers are VERY drafty and it's easy to get cold while showering, particularly if the shower is open.

Three walls are fully enclosed and the fourth wall (one of the longer ones) is about half enclosed if I'm picturing the plans correctly. The architect brought it up during design, but I can't remember what he added to address that. We're putting in heated floors, so that should help. 

What is it that they seem to keep getting wrong on these higher end flips? They seem to have a real sweet spot in the lower to middle range ones (for their areas) but man, those higher end ones seem to kick their asses. The one (in Cypress, maybe?) where they added the pool with the dinosaur bones was gorgeous (I saved it to show my husband I loved it so  much, but they struggled to sell that. Why do you think that is? Do those buyers want to pick out their own high end finishes? Do they not go high end enough? I can't figure it out! 

Share Post