S01.E09: The Happy Couple / S1.E10 The Wedding 2016.05.19

An unexpected visit from the Kensington Firm matriarch Sybil Griffiths throws everyone off balance; Alice finds herself in a dangerous position, while Ben risks everything to keep her safe.

Share Post

Why didn't Alice just tell the FBI that her ex-fiance knew she loved the painting and got a copy for her?  Play dumb about knowing it was the real one. Val should be really pissed at her for ignoring her warnings and having the FBI show up at the firm.

I just don't buy that Alice and Ben/Christopher have this great love for each other. Whenever they talk about it I think the other one is playing the other because I don't believe what they are saying. I was sure Alice couldn't really be dumb enough to plan to run away with Ben, but apparently she was. I was surprised he came back when the FBI showed, because I really can't believe he cares that much.

All the Ocean's 11 style caper stuff would have been so much better if I liked the characters.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Why didn't Alice just tell the FBI that her ex-fiance knew she loved the painting and got a copy for her?  Play dumb about knowing it was the real one. Val should be really pissed at her for ignoring her warnings and having the FBI show up at the firm.

I just don't buy that Alice and Ben/Christopher have this great love for each other. Whenever they talk about it I think the other one is playing the other because I don't believe what they are saying. I was sure Alice couldn't really be dumb enough to plan to run away with Ben, but apparently she was. I was surprised he came back when the FBI showed, because I really can't believe he cares that much.

All the Ocean's 11 style caper stuff would have been so much better if I liked the characters.

Agreed, and it doesn't help that the very next scene undoes it: Margot gets arrested and then she gets let off, Alice gets held captive and then gets let off, etc.  Alice really is a moron for getting conned again.

Share Post

As I have posted before,,,it gets worse every week.    And, tonight, the acting was just awful.

Share Post

Unfortunately,  if you want to create a 'clever' storyline you need clever writing and a clever storyline.  I do enjoy the show to a certain degree but I have too many moments of 'really'?  Too many of 'Sorry, I'm not that dumb to buy that' moments.  Too bad because it actually could be a very good show.  It's just kind of lazy.

Share Post

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

There was no emotional pay out at all for me. Their insta-romance felt completely unearned. Really I found Ben and Reece to be more believeably in love (and devoted to one another) than Ben and Alice. I fast-forwarded through most of their scenes because they gross me out at this point. 

Dare I say Val was the MVP tonight?! She is a much stronger character than Alice, in every sense of the word. From getting the drop on Margot, to taking Ben to task, she was tough, savvy and just a hint kick-ass. It had me wondering what the show would be like if Val was the main character with Alice's crap as a B-story. 

Share Post

I'm still not sure I buy Danny as straight, but I'm so glad my instincts were right about Sean!  Danny and Sean — I'm here for this, show.  Make it happen.  And if Danny stubbornly refuses, I will GLADLY volunteer to date Sean myself.

I also don't buy the great love story between Alice and Ben, although I think Enos is trying.  Margot, Val, and Sophie — that's your holy trinity of women who get shit done.

I actually think this show has become pretty enjoyable as long as I turn my mind off.

Share Post

7 hours ago, mandigirl said:

There was no emotional pay out at all for me. Their insta-romance felt completely unearned. Really I found Ben and Reece to be more believeably in love (and devoted to one another) than Ben and Alice. I fast-forwarded through most of their scenes because they gross me out at this point.

Dare I say Val was the MVP tonight?! She is a much stronger character than Alice, in every sense of the word. From getting the drop on Margot, to taking Ben to task, she was tough, savvy and just a hint kick-ass. It had me wondering what the show would be like if Val was the main character with Alice's crap as a B-story.

Val would definitely be a better main character, she was the only one who made any sense whatsoever.

Share Post

The only thing that would have saved this show for me is if it had been Christopher-Ben who had turned Alice into the FBI for the painting.  And then run off to Togo with Rhys!  I'd like to see Alice try to justify that turn of events.

Share Post

A second season? Really? It looks like this is going to be one of those long, slow, drawn out deaths instead of a mercy killing. 
...Sort of like that "Doctors on a Caribbean island" show that never took off but slowly faded away ... 

I just don't see how they can undo all the character damage that's been done to Alice if they tried to revamp the show. She really just blunders through, into, and over everything in her path. Maybe if they swapped out 75% of the cast ...?

Share Post

At this point I am rooting for Margot.

At least this show has a lot of strong female characters.  Ironically, Alice seems to be the weakest.

Edited by treeofdreams.

Share Post

I giggled every time Sybil made comments about cooking during these two episodes and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw her in her chefs uniform during the reception. Lesley Nicol will always be Downton Abbey's Mrs. Patmore to me.

Share Post

Love Lesley Nicol-just unexplainable how much!

Oh, as for the rest of the episode(s)...originally we were told what an amazing investigator/detective Alice was; and, there just hasn't been any evidence of that anywhere.  So, huge threat by the Family, the Firm, the Benefactor, whatever show-make up your mind, about killing Alice AND Ben and what do they do?  Make-out at the wedding which is the 'key' event to ending the reign and threat of death for the two leads.  Even me, who is not a shrewd and amazing detective of con, can figure out that I could make out AFTER the bads are arrested and put away.  But no, they have to make out right then and there in public when Ben's whole cover is that he is gay, he knows that Reggie is taking photos and that all of the security film is being watched by Margot, and that the very people who want to kill both of them are THERE!  There has been a lot of stupidity, but this scene alone was unbelievable in how stupid the protagonists appeared.  Even to the point that all of the members of the crack investigative firm were pursuing romantic relationships and feelings rather than, you know, the deadly devious bads.

Oh, and there would be such a boatload of marshalls and FBI agents all over LA due to an FBI agent helping a suspect escape.

Ridiculous.

And, here is the truly shameful part, I will be back next season....

Share Post

Yes, lets hope that Alice works on her covert skills for a detective. And Ben is just as bad, he gave them a fake address to keep her away from the wedding and protect her. So of course what do they do when she shows up they stand around talking and mooning over each other in plain sight, dumb asses! Ashamed to say I am also going to watch next season, guess that makes me a dumb ass as well!

Share Post

Well Texasmom, I will appreciate knowing that you're there with me next season...

Share Post

I keep thinking of Ben as an alien robot.  I don't really believe he has true feelings.  He is just so blah for a con man.

Share Post

26 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

I keep thinking of Ben as an alien robot.  I don't really believe he has true feelings.  He is just so blah for a con man.

Peter Krause is a good actor, but he seems so miscast here. This show needed someone in the vein of...well, a young Pierce Brosnan type. An actor that can embrace trouble with a twinkle in his eye but still be drawn to the "straight and narrow" and the woman that (supposedly) represents it.

Not saying this should be an RS clone, but that show worked, in part, because it understood the story it wanted to tell. This show seems tonally indecisive.

Share Post

Well, I got half-way through Part 1 & thought I'd have to kill myself if I watched one more minute.  Instead, I deleted everything.  I'm done!!  Shonda can do better!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow. Reason: Good grammar is a good thing!!

Share Post

I hope S2 brings a less split personality to its themes and plots. You can't do a pretty, sexy, heist show with cold-blooded killings in the plot, and you can't do a darer, psychological revenge thriller with the protagonist constantly going gooey over the bad guy. Although I did like her smackdown of Margot during the therapy sessions.

Anyone who has seen the Oceans movie should have been aware that there just might have been a longer con going on.

Was it ever explained how Margot became Val's therapist so that she could recommend her to Alice?

Agreed about the PDA at the wedding.

The painting escapade was the worst. Alice should have known that she was committing a state-level felony at least (receiving stolen property) ever since she figured out it was the real thing. And Ben? If I were the FBI agent, I would have said "You want to be arrested? Fine. Both of you are going downtown. You have the right to remain silent...." At least they'll be the best dressed suspects in the holding cells.

Share Post

So you want a caper show with both drama and comedy, maybe even a little slapstick. so yeah, you go watch remington steele, and the thomas crown affair, and to catch a thief, maybe some leverage. then you figure out what elements they had that worked. then you do your darndest not to include any of those.

Maybe it will be better next year. but i'm not going to be there to find out.

Share Post

I watched the last 3 episodes looking past the actors at the sets.  I love that hotel room the con men share and all the other various sets.  Then I hit STOP when they were arresting Alice for the painting and decided, "It's too stupid, I'm out."  

Are they teaching 'TV Drama Writing' in junior high now?  Because I feel like that's about the intelligence level of most network shows.  

Share Post

7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Was it ever explained how Margot became Val's therapist so that she could recommend her to Alice?

Not to validate any plot point on this show,  but it was explained that Val's therapist (who is real) recommended another therapist for Alice. Before Alice went to her first appointment, Margot bribed/threatened Alice's therapist to leave her practice so that Margot could impersonate her. 

On 5/20/2016 at 8:07 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

Maybe if they swapped out 75% of the cast ...?

I don't think that's necessary. Many of the characters I like and find interesting (Margot, Dao, Val, Rhys). The others are either generally unobjectionable (Sophie, Danny, Reggie, etc.) or basic non-entities so I don't even think about them (Sean). The problem is the Alice-Ben dynamic.  I don't know if the writers are brave enough to ditch the whole romance. Ben and Alice staring into each others eyes and grinning at each other like idiots is just so fake and ridiculous given all that has happened. Is any one buying the 'True Love' angle at this point? Even a little?

Share Post

Well, this show gets more preposterous every week. The storyline is just so lame.

And why did we have to be tortured by that, "I'll just go home and pack a bag and meet you on the plane."  We all knew she wouldn't make it back.

Ahh, yes, Mrs. Patmore.  "Who plated these....they're horrible!"  Loved it!

Share Post

This show seems so dated to me--reminds me of snappy patter/caper shows like It Takes a Thief or Remington Steele --fancy clothes and sets, some semblance of a plot and a couple of magnetic leads ---but I feel like both Enos and Krause are mis-cast.  Both are really great actors in more realistic shows ....I wonder if they just did it to rack up some $$ or something.

I loved him in Six Feet Under and she was really good in Big Love and The Killing but this just seems so poorly written for both of them.

Share Post

I'll be back with the two other people watching this show. It's escapist fantasy for me.

I loved John Simm's line delivery on "Abominable American television...which I quite enjoy" and Lesley Nicol's delivery of "Who plated this?!" Those lines said to me that this show doesn't take itself too seriously.

I also think we can now close the book on "Is Ben playing Alice?" This would've made a great series finale, but I'll still be back next year (well, I'll be back if John Simm is back on this abominable American television show...which I quite enjoy).

Share Post

I actually don't mind the show so I will be back. Light fare. I loike how everyone keeps switching sides. 

Share Post