Selling You On The Original "The Bridge"

If you've watched the FX version The Bridge and found it okay but not great get your butt to Denmark or Sweden "through methods" and watch the original called Bron / Broen (It's a Danish / Swedish co-production).

I've got one more episode to watch in season two the next time I travel to Sweden and it's been pretty damn good. Season one is amazing. If you like Luther you'll probably like this.

Here's a primer I wrote on it:
http://previously.tv/the-bridge/your-primer-to-the-bonkers-crime-drama-the-bridge/

So anyone else watching this? (Also go watch Borgen!)

Share Post

I quite like this show. I love the characters, the acting, the mood, the pacing. A lot of the cultural stuff between the Danish and Swedish probably go over my head, but that is okay.

I am not all that fond of the actual mystery storylines, though. The main mystery itself is fine and interesting, but the journey is so full of red herrings that lead to a ridiculous conclusion. I would be more forgiving of this if it was confined to a single 43-minute episode. This being about 13 or 14 times that length, it kind of stretched thin. I had the same problem with the first two seasons of Forbrydelsen and a few BBC short mystery shows to a lesser extent. Still, I loved the third season of Forbrydelsen almost unconditionally and I enjoy almost all of Bron/Broen, so I am staying with it.

Share Post

fortunately I saw the original before I saw the American and British remakes. While it is very interesting to track the changes made for cultural differences, the original remains superior IMHO

Share Post

I just finished watching season 2 and I loved it as much as season 1 (even though I have my reservations about the last episode)! Although I'm not sure the set up will keep being interesting, I'm still excited for season 3.

Are the remakes worth tracking down if I want to see more great tv-series like this, or do they not live up to the original?

Share Post

SPOILERS for Bron and Bridge (Us).

I first watched the original, and then by curiosity the American. I like both. A lot.
The French/english, I only watched the 1st episode..could be a good show, but I cant watch a 3series of the same franchise  :D

I find both the original and the American very interesting shows facing the same problem: they have a fantastic main duo of characters that they strangle to support with a story.

The whole first season of Bron/Broen was based on a rather ridiculous serial killer plot that personally I didnt care at all. I watched for Saga and Martin.
The 2nd season of Bron/Broen had a better procedural story, more interesting characters but it kind of screwed the story of our beloved duo.
I found the whole Saga character development   completely off, both the boyfriend story and her personal past with the whole Munchausen by Proxy drama (eewww). Very unfortunate choices (as the show's creators also kind of acknowledged). It can be very tricky to write for a character like Saga's, the line between intriguing and ridiculous is very thin..

The American version, since the beginning, added way too many 2ndary characters and subplots taking way too much focus from Sonya and Marco. I  thought they did it cause they were afraid the response of the US audience to a character like Sonya. But since they follow the same formula in 2nd season as well, that is not probably the case.
Following the  "we have a bazillion little stories that at the end might connect and give us a super finale" format kind of halts the show's dynamic. 
Cause IMHO, the show's main power must be Sonya and Marco. They have 2 good actors  with a fantastic chemistry and they spent their show's energy in minor plots. Maybe they are a tad too ambitious for their own good? 

Share Post

I'm about half way through season 2.  Riveting.

Share Post

I watched S1 before the FX remake premiered in 2013.

Really liked it and also was a fan of the remake.

Still passed about it being cancelled.

Recently bought S2 of the original on DVD, plan to watch it in the near future.

Share Post

I do enjoy the series, but can Saga catch a break, please?! If she continues to be relentlessly battered and cruelly dismissed, I may not be able to continue viewing the series.

Will seedy Rasmus, Saga's creepy new supervisor,...get a comeuppance for their vile treatment of the only person seemingly capable of solving the horrific crimes--Saga?

I must add that I did NOT like the manner in which the Martin Character was developed.

Edited by BookElitist.

Share Post

Started watching season 3 of Bron.  Interesting that the actor who plays Martin repeatedly pulled out of the project at the last minute.

I watched S1 of the Tunnel, liked the two leads there too.  I think all 3 shows cast good leads.  Doesn't have to be about which ones are the best actors, they're all worth watching to an extent.

Apparently season 2 of the Tunnel diverges way away from Bron and they had to delay the airing this past spring because of the Brussels terrorist attacks. 

Share Post

Yay, they finally added season 3 to Hulu! I didn't expect to like this season because of

Spoiler

the lack of Martin

, but have been pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. In fact, I think I prefer Henrik. I really like how the relationship is developing between him and Saga. But I agree on hoping Saga gets a break soon. It's heartbreaking to see her so vulnerable and shaken.

Edited to add: Now that I've finished episode 10, I can say that this is my favorite season. Waiting until 2018 for season 4 is going to be rough, but I'm just so happy we'll be getting more.

Edited by krankydoodle.

Share Post

On 11/9/2016 at 4:33 PM, krankydoodle said:

Yay, they finally added season 3 to Hulu! I didn't expect to like this season because of

Hide contents

the lack of Martin

, but have been pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. In fact, I think I prefer Henrik. I really like how the relationship is developing between him and Saga. But I agree on hoping Saga gets a break soon. It's heartbreaking to see her so vulnerable and shaken.

Edited to add: Now that I've finished episode 10, I can say that this is my favorite season. Waiting until 2018 for season 4 is going to be rough, but I'm just so happy we'll be getting more.

I just watched Season 3 on Hulu, and I agree it's the strongest one. The murder plot hung together a bit better than the previous seasons' did, I like Henrik and the way his relationship with Saga evolved, and I really appreciated her further development, as heartbreaking as it was to watch sometimes. Sofia Helin's portrayal has always been great, but she was simply  fantastic this season. 

Share Post

Season 4 is available on Hulu now! I figured we'd have to wait a year since I believe it only recently aired in Sweden and Denmark. I'm torn between excitement at getting to watch it sooner than expected and sadness because this is the final season.

Share Post

1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

Season 4 is available on Hulu now! I figured we'd have to wait a year since I believe it only recently aired in Sweden and Denmark. I'm torn between excitement at getting to watch it sooner than expected and sadness because this is the final season.

Ooh, exciting. I canceled my subscription last summer because I wan't using it, but knew I'd have to restart it when Season 4 became available.

Share Post

Hmm, did they subtitle it already?

I may have to resubscribe, so many shows to catch up on there.

I held out hope that Martin would return but I guess the actor playing him burned that bridge.  Heh heh.

Share Post

On 3/15/2018 at 3:15 PM, scrb said:

Hmm, did they subtitle it already?

I may have to resubscribe, so many shows to catch up on there.

I held out hope that Martin would return but I guess the actor playing him burned that bridge.  Heh heh.

I resubscribed today; it's been long enough that I could activate with the free trial week, certainly long enough to get through the eight episodes, which as it happens, I won't be doing because no, they are not subtitled. I hope someone who's a regular subscriber will come back and let us know when that happens, because I will likely cancel before I'm charged this time.

Share Post

I started watching season 4 last week and it is subtitled. (Does Hulu actually broadcast any foreign language content that is not subtitled?)

Share Post

54 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I started watching season 4 last week and it is subtitled. (Does Hulu actually broadcast any foreign language content that is not subtitled?)

Glad I saw this right now (especially given Hulu went ahead and charged me anyway). I had thought it was strange! I went and restarted it, checking all my settings, and turned on closed-captioning, and that did the trick. But I've never had to make that adjustment before with a subtitled selection on Hulu, and I don't ever use CC for English-language shows. I'll watch this week.

Share Post