Live in the Media

On 5/1/2017 at 9:13 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

I am pretty stunned.  I think Ryan will be a good fit, will bring lots of eyeballs, and also bring big name guests to the show.  Plus when Kelly is low-balled at the next contract, the producers will have leverage and a backup plan.  I was a Ryan fan back in the 90s when he hosted afternoons on KYSR in LA.  I didn't pay much attention to the Idol Years and I don't think I have watched anything on E! in this millenium. He can be borderline smarmy, but he also has a fast wicked wit that can be fun.  

The show really went for the Big Name.  This is a major upgrade from Strahan.  Arguably, Ryan is a step above doddering Regis.

"Doddering"  Regis didn't need stupid printed out clippings to hold host chat.  In fact, he was the person who made host-chat the thing to do. He could tell a story, and he could hold up the newspaper and adlib, unlike Kelly who can barely read the clippings, and spends 99% of her chat time talking about her sex life or some other mind numbing story she repeats over and over.

Regis was old when he left, but he still was better than Kelly solo, he also won an Emmy while hosting solo, Kelly always causes the ratings to go down when she is solo. 

Also,  Kelly has no class, and never did.

Share Post

Yes, Regis was a legend.  And 1995 was a was a great year.  It's now 2+ decades later and the producers of 'Live' do not want a show about The Yankees, the beauty of Derek Jeter, ducks in a South Bend Pond who like (!) breadcrumbs, some golden dome at a church, a busty divorcee winds-of-war wreaking havoc on an old man's life, and Joey Bishop.  They want their talent to sit in front of the camera for 36 minutes a day and jabber about online polls and trends and celebrities-of-the-moment.  If this were a network show, they wouldn't be Blue Card Driven and would live by teleprompter, like KLG and Hoda do every day when their "chat" is scripted to the second.

We will probably never know exactly what went down among Regis, Kelly, Gelman, and the ABC Syndication Suits.  I suspect there is a whole lot more to the story than what has been revealed.  

Share Post

Not quite sure why producers think everyone is interested with celebrities-of-the-moment and online polls and then are surprised that viewership is down.   I watch the morning news so at 9:00 a.m. I am ready to be entertained.  I rarely watch Live anymore because it is repititious and not interesting.  Kelly's constant sexual innuendos are so obvious; it would be funny if it was organic.  Talk about scripted, you can't help but notice in the background shots of producers holding everything on cue cards....not to mention Gelman (and Art Moore) practically sitting at the host chat table with a clipboard.  Talk about scripted, she can't even say the day and date without Shully holding it up for Kelly to read.  Never noticed any of that on KLG and Honda.  

Share Post

I think Shully was hired to hold up the date back in the 1980s (?). Most TV shows have production staff flashing notes to the hosts.  It's almost comical.

KLG and Hoda use prompters. Live uses cue cards.  Network vs Syndication.  BigBucks vs Penny Pinching.

I have taped/watched the KLG/Hoday Host Chat nearly every day for the better part of 7 years now.  There's barely a week that goes by when one doesn't ask the other to recite their lines or ask the prompter to "roll back" so they can get the specific details. Nothing wrong with it, it's live TV. And none are as bad at it as Miss Whoopi, who has both blue cards and a prompter. Probably doesnt help to have horrific eyesight and dyslexia, though.

Share Post

I thought y'all might get a chuckle out of the following, copied from an email from The Washington Post on what's coming in our Sunday paper.

Arts & Style

Appreciating Kelly: To understand Kelly Ripa’s enduring career, you must appreciate the craft of talking — effortlessly, entertainingly, without a script, on live television, every day of your life.

Hah!

Share Post

OMG........really, Washing Post.  I guess I was watching a different show or obviously appreciate a different craft of talking.  I will be the first to admit Kelly's strengths, but they don't include effortlessly, entertaingly, without a script, on live television, every day of your life.   It is frightening that our society admires people that offer little value, but for doctors/nurses/teachers and others that are truly doing life-saving work not only get no credit but are paid and valued at a minuscule of what people that offer little value.  Entertainment value is wonderful but not on the same scale as someone that just saved your loved one.  

Share Post

Well Michael Strahan had his other gigs and was flying back and forth every week during football season.

Re being "spontaneous" I watch Kathie Lee and Hoda too, and that show is all about the prompters. They have a few minutes of candid conversation and then they start reading. Some of them and other cohosts are better about  making it look effortless.  But, I can tell when that veteran Kathie Lee starts reading.  I wouldn't hold that against anyone.  Other things probably.  that, no.

Share Post

The deal with ABC for Idol is done now.

'American Idol' Goes to ABC with Ryan Seacrest the Likely Host

"American Idol" will go to ABC, because TMZ has learned the deal is now closed.

TMZ broke the story ... ABC made the offer nearly 2 weeks ago, and the networks's plan is to officially announce it at the Upfronts in a week.
As we reported, FOX came on strong with an offer at the last minute, but the ABC deal was sealed Friday night.

Sources involved in the deal tell us ... the co-owners of the show, Fremantle and Core, along with ABC, want Ryan Seacrest to host the show. As we reported, the show will be filmed in Hollywood and Ryan would have to make 2 round trip coast-to-coast flights in as many days to shoot the show each week.

Share Post

Suddenly there are all of these nice articles and interviews with Kelly. Looks like her management is making sure she is looking like the nice , sweet little host as Ryan comes on board, and just keep her in the news .

Looks like Live  was just part of a package for Ryan and they really do not care if Kelly leaves or not, or if the show goes awa. Or maybe the rumors are true and they will just expand GMA and dump Live, along with Kelly. Seems like Ryan is the one they really want . 

I wonder how Kelly is feeling about being with someone on equal footing as a cohost , and also being offered other things with ABC .

i doubt she'll be carrying books to put down ABC and having tantrums, or skipping work anytime soon. She has to know they don't need her as much as they did a year ago- unless she's stupid .

Share Post

On 5/5/2017 at 4:03 PM, chessiegal said:

I thought y'all might get a chuckle out of the following, copied from an email from The Washington Post on what's coming in our Sunday paper.  Hah!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/kelly-ripa-has-made-a-career-of-being-herself-where-does-she-go-from-here/2017/05/03/5de1a5e2-2abb-11e7-b605-33413c691853_story.html?utm_term=.d396e85c6b4f

"Lately, she thinks the “ultimate” dream would be to work behind the camera, writing scripted shows."

She's ready to be "Regis-ed" during next contract negotiations....in 2020.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile.

Share Post

Wow, what an article...........almost a novella about the brilliant Kellmee!  What?!?  Talk about the proverbial 'hey, look at me!'  The potted plant has seen the writing on the wall, lol.

Two things struck me, Regis refused comment and 'they' knew Seacrest was right for the job when Kellmee blew the cues and Ryan had to be the professional and cue to commercial.

She's toast! 

Share Post

She'll be close to 50 by then, so I guess it will be a wait and see.  the last child should be either graduating then or close to it.

Share Post

Shouldn't the name of this forum be changed?

Share Post

11 hours ago, Shermie said:

Shouldn't the name of this forum be changed?

Has the official name of the show changed yet?  If so please let me know exactly what it is and I'll update the forum title.

Share Post

1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Has the official name of the show changed yet?

Yup, it's Live with Kelly and Ryan.

Share Post

22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Yup, it's Live with Kelly and Ryan.

Thanks.  The request has been made to update the forum title.

Share Post

I've seen a couple of news articles that say Kelly had no idea it would be Ryan, that she wanted someone not quite as famous as Ryan and that the whole American Idol plan is unsettling to her.  Kind of like she's lost her footing and Ryan is now the top dog. 

Also saw a ridiculous item about her best bud, Andy Cohen, sending a warning to Ryan to not underestimate Kelly or some such nonsense.  The way it was worded seemed to be a veiled threat, really adolescent behavior, like mean girls in the playground giving ultimatums on behalf of their queen bee. 

So ridiculous.

Share Post

If I were Andy Cohen and Kelly, I wouldn't underestimate Ryan!  I don't think you can push him around.

Share Post

Ryan's so much more powerful than her that she can't pull her stunts with him. I also found it interesting that he's a Grammy chairman and this week they also announced the Grammy's will return to NYC. Everything is coming to him in NY.

Edited by Artsda.

Share Post

Dropped by to see how things are going, after reading that Kelly may not be too thrilled with Ryan.  Is she really happy with anyone?  I know that she likes Andy C. and Anderson C, but, anyone else?  I read that she no longer speaks to Regis. ( I don't buy the reason that is given for that.)

Share Post

23 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Interesting but I don't think AI could be part of Ryan's deal because ABC didn't have AI when they hired Ryan.  They wanted it but other networks were involved in the negotiation.

And I don't know if Kelly would take issue with Ryan doing outside projects.  I didn't get the sense that was her problem with Michael since he was doing NFL Sunday before he started on Live.  Rather, she didn't like that ABC would devalue Live by "stealing" one of the elements that made it successful after Regis left to buoy another morning property.  Ryan would still be able to do Live if he were to do AI. 

Share Post

On 5/10/2017 at 7:15 AM, finnzup said:

I've seen a couple of news articles that say Kelly had no idea it would be Ryan, that she wanted someone not quite as famous as Ryan and that the whole American Idol plan is unsettling to her.  Kind of like she's lost her footing and Ryan is now the top dog. 

Also saw a ridiculous item about her best bud, Andy Cohen, sending a warning to Ryan to not underestimate Kelly or some such nonsense.  The way it was worded seemed to be a veiled threat, really adolescent behavior, like mean girls in the playground giving ultimatums on behalf of their queen bee. 

So ridiculous.

Andy Cohen is ridiculous at times !  If he means Ryan shouldn't underestimate how nasty , petty, and vengeful Kelly can be, he is right . But after Kelly's public hissy fit , I doubt anyone with a brain at ABC, or Ryan are expecting that Kelly would not act like a spoiled, nasty brat , and make them look like the monsters if she feels threatened.

The fact that ABC paid mega bucks for Ryan and put him in the chair next to a supposedly experienced cohost, shows they no eay are under estimating how   difficult Kelly can be with someone she can feels above in the cohost chair, or if she feels slighted . 

Also,  Kelly is so so fake with her  non stop gushing and complimenting of Ryan . It's so obvious she is overcompensating for her insecurities.

it is great seeing Ryan and not some butt kissing newbie having to walk on eggs with executive producer " Kelly!  She showed ABC twice how she will be vengeful and rude to cohosts when she feels in control. It is so entertaining watching her grovel at Ryan and not be the big cheese !

Bravo to ABC for giving nasty Kelly her consequences, but not playing into her hands so she can play victim!  Instead of her being butt kissed, she is now doing it to make sure more powerful Ryan doesn't take over ! She so deserves this ! 

Share Post

Variety reports that Ryan is dragging his feet on American Idol, turns down 10M after finding out that Katy Perry is getting 25M

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/american-idol-ryan-seacrest-1202447024/

Nor have producers and the network been able to seal a deal with Ryan Seacrest to return as host. Seacrest had been in talks to rejoin the series — which he appeared on for all of its 15 seasons on Fox — since before ABC even made the revival official. But ongoing talks have failed to produce a deal. 

I wonder when we learn that Kelly fave fave fave musical performer is Katy Perry.  I used to think Ryan @ Idol was a slam dunk.  Now I actually think it's less than 50-50.  I never watched Idol, but it seems they could find a serviceable host for way less than $10M, especially if Katy Perry is eating up 65% of the "talent" budget. (Paging Brian Dunkleman?)

brian-dunkleman-ryan-seacrest-zoom-46e62

Share Post

Kelly said she was in Long Island over the Memorial Day Weekend. Then she tells Ryan & the audience that Gelman was in The Hampton's. It's funny how Kelly wants to be poor and relatable to the audience but Gelman can be perceived as the rich person. I really do believe that Kelly believes she's just like us. Pleaseeeeeee!!!!!

Share Post

Deleted

Edited by snowydaze. Reason: I put it in the wrong thread.I think it belongs in episode thread.

Share Post

As a former regular viewer I tuned in yesterday since my Mom is with me and she used to be a big fan of Regis and Kathy Lee. (I once really liked Kelly and my DH and I were in the audience twice when Regis was still on the show. She was really nice and accommodating during breaks as well as after the taping. DH liked her as well and the second time sent a note with a picture I had taken of him and Kelly asking for her autograph. He received a signed 8 x 12 glossy.)

I never really liked Ryan Seacrest but when I DVRed it yesterday  I saw Ryan helping her into her chair and proprietarily patting her on the butt or chair area very near her butt. I rewatched a few times. Did any one else see this or notice similar behavior on his part?

Share Post

Show is DOWN 26% from last May (sweeps month).  This despite the bump for Ryan's debut week.  

I can't believe Harry got renewed.  Man, is TV on a downward spiral - as the overall ratings attached attest.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/104749/syndie-sweep-no-1s-judy-phil-feud-et?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Syndie+Sweep+No.+1s%3a+‘Judy%2c’+‘Phil%2c’+‘Feud%2c’+‘ET’&utm_campaign=Syndie+May+Sweep+No.+1s%3a+‘Judy%2c’+‘Phil%2c’+‘Feud%2c’+‘ET’

Share Post

Actually the ratings are where they have been for a while since they had revolving cohosts . In April before Ryan the ratings were where they are now . There was a small bump when Ryan came on the show.

i think it just seems forced and fake  now .

Share Post

8 hours ago, orangekit said:

forced and fake

Imo, forced and fake began the day Kellmee came on board.  She's not authentic, she never put herself out there like Reege did, everything was a 'character' or 'play-acting' for her. 

Share Post

Wow.........Kelly just does not look good, not healthy, not happy.  I don't usually watch the show anymore but caught a few minutes this morning and thought it was very boring.  That cooking segment almost put me to sleep.  Looked like Ryan was bored too.  I was never a big fan of the show but used to like it more when Michael was on.  He seemed sincere and pleasant.  Glad he got out when he did.  I will watch something else.

Share Post

I agree, must be one of the busiest and hardest working people in show business today and he's still going to  add Idol 2.0 on top of his insane schedule.

"I'm not Ryan, I don't have his battery. So when I look at him, I see the future of this show."

So Kelly is aware that Ryan was hired because he can replace her & carry the show.

Share Post

I would not want to be his girlfriend.

"... the 42-year-old had been talking in recent years about a desire for more balance in his life, settling down at some point and having a family of his own. (He currently shares a townhouse on Manhattan's Upper East Side with his mid-20s girlfriend, Shayna Taylor.)"

Another insightful quote: "he believes his identity is still somewhat wrapped up in the show, and the idea of being replaced would destroy him."

Share Post

She was her usual over the top, thinks she is so funny, self. She had been talking about going from a bikini to a one piece, then said this was her "favorite" because SHE is actually a "hairy little man."

Hair-de-hair hair.

Share Post