All Episodes Talk

If I remember correctly, that "cow" was a first-calf-heifer that had a long labour & couldn't get up, at first because she was exhausted from the birthing process, but then she went numb (not paralyzed) from laying down so long.

Having lived on a ranch, you DO get attached to certain cows for one reason or the other.  It's clear to me that they do kill & butcher a cow for the freezer, but I think they ship their calves (6 to 10 mos.) to market by truck.  JMHO.

Share Post

So they had the finale tonight.  A couple of things..

-so Shane and his wife go to see the doctor and ask how long does she have if she gets sick...the doc says hours to days.  They get all concerned that they are so in the bush that they might not be able to get to a hospital in time.  Really?!? I think the whole moving to the homestead was BS.

-Just can't imagine Atz Lee wanting to move to this cabin...where is his family going to stay?  He has at least two kids...that cabin is too small.

-Regarding the cattle drive....really nobody can help Otto and Charlotte?  Where was everyone?

Share Post

I'm starting to think that the reason Atz Lee wants to build that cabin in the middle of nowhere to get away from Jane's complaining.  She bitches, moans and complains all the time about everything.  She drives me crazy watching it on TV so I couldn't imagine living with the complaints in real life.  The way she talks bugs me too, she talks so fast. 

Edited by Maharincess.

Share Post

Otto's a great guy - until he loses his temper, usually with Charlotte or another woman.  If he'd pulled that horseshit on me, I'd have knocked him off his high horse and left him to finish the cattle drive on his own, or told him to go find a man who'd take his abuse.  Oh wait, Otto'd never pull that shit on a man.

Shane probably never intended to move to that cabin, and just needed a storyline for the TV money.

Atz Lee is a spoiled special snowflake.  I don't know how Jane puts up with him.

Eivan & Eve continue to impress, and their kids are adorable.

Share Post

I think the 'story line' about Atz Lee building his cabin was just added to the season for drama.  It will be another hunting cabin, not a real home for him.

Share Post

I wonder if they could use the landing ship to go to the head of the bay...pick up the cows and then drop them off by the beach near the farm.

Share Post

Since when did Atz Lee have a teenage son?

The narrator said his name is Etienne(sp). I think that is French for Steven. 

Guess Atz Lee sowed some wild oats as a teen.

Share Post

4 hours ago, iwasish said:

Since when did Atz Lee have a teenage son?

The narrator said his name is Etienne(sp). I think that is French for Steven. 

Guess Atz Lee sowed some wild oats as a teen.

He is Atz Lee and Jane's son. They have a couple of kids who would be teenagers now. They've kept their kids off the show. 

Share Post

Oh, come on. Come. On!

I quit this show last season because so much of the content was obviously fake with the stated life-threatening danger at every turn absurdly exaggerated .  But I came back out of curiosity this week to see if anything had changed.

What an idiot I am. Not only hasn't the show toned down the hyperbole, they've doubled down on it.

For those not familiar with snow, the "record-breaking" snow fall shown in this season's first episode was maybe six inches, seven inches tops.  I can remove that with one pass of my home snow blower.  It would be zero challenge for the industrial size snow blower that Atz Lee was wielding.

Most laughable?  Eve vs. the excavator to clear a 10 foot path from the plowed driveway to the greenhouse. First she lies that the snow is "hip deep."  Again, it's about mid-shin height except for where it was plowed up.  The best way to clear this, even through the plowed-up bank, is with an old-fashioned snow shovel, a little elbow grease and about 10 minutes.  Eve's a terrible actor so the fakery of her scenes are even more transparent.

Next episode: it rains one day and the Kilcher family bands together to ford a 2-inch deep puddle. 

Edited by RemoteControlFreak. Reason: fixed typos

Share Post

53 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Next episode: it rains one day and the Kilcher family band together to ford a 2-inch deep puddle. 

Hmmm, time to chop down trees and build a bridge😉

Share Post

Oh, I’m so glad to find somebody’s home, here. I tuned in tonight because I love snow & Alaska and it was so disappointing. It could’ve been a half-hour episode and I mean 21 minutes. 

How many times did we see the graphic of the Tree-trunk/snowshoe-Style “Bridge” for Otto to drive the old tractor over? Or the graphic explaining Shane’s proposed cabin?

Worth watching - ONCE - Otto getting the rig running and Atz admiring him;

ONCE: Atzlee and “the girls” (hate that like I hate Jane’s false lashes) felling the trees and the explanatory graphic thereto;

ONCE: progress on Chez Shane (with graphic);

ONCE: Eve gets certified on yet another piece of heavy equipment. Go, gurl...er, woman. 

And next week Jewel is back to handle a chain saw? Why does that seem to me to be a desperation move, calling in the family celebrity?

I’ve loved watching this show but many more epis like this one and I don’t think even ff’ing will make me stay. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas.

Share Post

They lost me with the car Eivan put together out of "scraps" for August. And the whole set up for painting it. If they have all that stuff to paint and repair.. why does most of their equipment look like shit?

Then the BOAT he makes for he and his family to cruise around in? I was thinking it would be some makeshift cobbled together contraption ... but all semblance of a hard scrabble life is gone with that.

All fakery.

Share Post

On 10/9/2017 at 1:33 PM, iwasish said:

All fakery.

Yeah..... I tend not to be an all-in kinda guy, but the more I see of this — and read comments like yours, @iwasish — the more I think the family and producers are dazzling us with bs, way more than just showing some oddball, talented, successful rural folks. I say again: a half-hour Show would be wonderfully interesting and far  Less contrived, but bless me if the advertisers seem to be lining up to buy the spots in an hour-long program, so I guess they’re doing something right. 

Just not in my viewer’s eyes. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas.

Share Post

I really tried to "get into" this season, but Jane in HD with the false eyelashes digging out of the blizzard was the last straw.  Deleted all episodes & cancelled future recordings.  I'm out!!!

Share Post

On 10/28/2017 at 10:56 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I really tried to "get into" this season, but Jane in HD with the false eyelashes digging out of the blizzard was the last straw.  Deleted all episodes & cancelled future recordings.  I'm out!!!

I’ve got 2 eps on my DVR list that I can’t bring myself to watch. Think I’ll be following your lead soon.

Share Post

Okay, I "broke down" & watched the buffalo escape!  Who was the genius that thought barbed wire would hold a herd of buffalo?  That was hilarious!!!

Share Post

On 11/7/2017 at 0:41 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Okay, I "broke down" & watched the buffalo escape!  Who was the genius that thought barbed wire would hold a herd of buffalo?  That was hilarious!!!

There was supposed to be a couple hundred buffalo, it didn’t look like anywhere near that number. Nor would that many fit on that boat. 

Share Post