All Episodes Talk: The Barbecue Pit

There are many favs for me on this show, but Peggy at the Boggle tournament, Peggy in the beauty pageant, and any eppy in Mexico are some that leap to mind. There were a couple of them set in Mexico. Hank et all got stuck there without their passports. Peggy accidently brought back a Mexican child from a school field trip. So many funny ones.

Share Post

I put this in the "small talk" thread, but it's probably more appropriate here.  I have a 3-way tie for my all-time favorites: Bobby Goes Nuts ("That's my purse!"), The Wedding of Bobby Hill (where Luanne and Bobby get "married"), and Peggy's Headache (where she finds out Nancy is cheating on Dale).  All of those just slay me, and I can quote them endlessly.

Share Post

I love the one with Bobby working for Jimmy Witchard at the track.

And of course my favorite quote has to be Peggy practicing for her sex ed class - "vaaaaAAAAAAGINA!"

Share Post

"That's my purse!" is indeed one of our all time favs here at the house and we quote it all the time. hee.

Share Post

I love the episode when Hank, Peggy and Bobby are all trying to quit smoking, the one when Hank gets diagnosed with Deminished Glutes Syndrome and the one where the Mega-Lo Mart blew up (especially when Boomhauer calls 911 to get help lmao)

Speaking of Boomhauer, one of my favorite show moments is one where we meet his mom (or his grandma?)...I don't remember what the episode was about, but she talks just like him and it never fails to crack me up.

Share Post

Speaking of Boomhauer, one of my favorite show moments is one where we meet his mom (or his grandma?)...I don't remember what the episode was about, but she talks just like him and it never fails to crack me up.

I always love the volunteer firefighters episode, where we see the story from Boomhauer's perspective, and everyone else talks like him, but he speaks completely intelligibly.  Hilarious.

Share Post

I so loved the episode where Bobby falls in with the young Christian group and winds up as a hype man for the youth ministry leader.  When Hank goes to snatch Bobby up and they're riding back in the pick-up together, Bobby is mad as all hell and Hank says, "You can give me the stink eye all you want!"  I now say that to my own kid whenever she has an attitude with me.

Share Post

I like when they go to the country music festival because people call out Peggy on her shit. Also love the fact that Randy Travis really did steal her song. Loved to hate that bitch. Loved the show. 

Share Post

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Buckley's angel always makes me laugh. Even as an angel he was still a little shit.

I loved how Dale never suspected Nancy of cheating on him. He'd even suggest John redcorn give Nancy an extra "massage" sometimes.

My most favorite episode might be the one where peggy is in a body cast and Hank's baby brother is crying, and she rocks the baby with her toe and she's just so happy to be useful.

Share Post

I just loved when they went to Bill's family home in new Orleans and Bobby started to dress and say stuff like "this southern flower is about to melt." Cracks me up thinking about it.

Share Post

Best episode that is easy, the Olympic torch one. It has Bobby being successful at something, everyone of the main characters sort of contributes, and they show a flashback to hank's highschool days.

Share Post

I just loved when they went to Bill's family home in new Orleans and Bobby started to dress and say stuff like "this southern flower is about to melt." Cracks me up thinking about it.

...I might be wrong...but I think it was "This flower is wilting."

Share Post

I love it when Bobby takes on the accent of his surroundings like in the New Orleans eppy and the one/s where Hank's mom dates (and marries?) the Jewish dude who teaches Bobby Yiddish or phrasing or something. :)

Share Post

That ep is hilarious. And Bobby in his blue crushed velvet dutch boy suit-even typing it now has me cracking up.

Ro-ber...Will-yum.

The ep when Luann and Bill go to work at that salon Hottiez kills me. I quote the "its only hair, it will grow back" all the time.

Edited by 2KllMckngBrd.

Share Post

I love it when Bobby takes on the accent of his surroundings like in the New Orleans eppy and the one/s where Hank's mom dates (and marries?) the Jewish dude who teaches Bobby Yiddish or phrasing or something. :)

This is from a while back, but I just read it and the first phrase that comes to mind is from a holiday episode where Bobby says 'moist this turkey is'.  It makes me laugh every time.

I'm watching the one where Peggy finds out about Nancy and John Redcorn and I loved the scene where Peggy sees John going into Nancy's house and says (twice, very scornfully),  'Well, Jah-hon Redcorn.  Jah-hon Redcorn'.  And then Redcorn sticks his head out the front door and says to her 'Pah-heggy Hill' and goes into the house.  Funny!

Share Post

I love the episode when Hank, Peggy and Bobby are all trying to quit smoking, t

That episode is awesome. I love the scene where Bobby is having major withdrawl, is sitting at the breakfast table holding a sausage and totally loses his shit on Hank and Peggy over something they were arguing about.

Share Post

That episode is awesome. I love the scene where Bobby is having major withdrawl, is sitting at the breakfast table holding a sausage and totally loses his shit on Hank and Peggy over something they were arguing about.

They were eating breakfast and Hank and Peggy were going back and forth to the bathroom, where they were sharing a clandestine cigarette. Hank comes back to the table and says "I cleaned the grout you told me about, Peggy, but there's still some grout left for you to clean." Peggy:"Thanks, but I'll save my grout for later."

Bobby:" ENOUGH ABOUT THE STUPID GROUT! IF ITS DIRTY GO CLEAN IT, IF ITS CLEAN WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP!" He's holding his sausage like a cigarette, grinds out sausage in his plate and angrily leaves the table.

One of my favorite episodes.

Share Post

I know for some people, it's not Christmas until they see Charlie Brown/the Grinch/Rudolph, what-have-you.

For me, it's not Christmas until I see Bill buy a lizard, attempt suicide, put on a dress and have a complete psychotic break.

Merry Christmas, all!

Share Post

The episode where Peggy and Dale open Peggy's Books and Guns is one of my favorites. It has so many good lines in it. And it never fails to crack me up when Dale tries to sell the cop a Luger (I think) that's free with any $600 book purchase.

Usually the ones with Boomhauer are my favorites though. Like somebody above said, the one where he flashbacks and everybody talks like him is hilarious. I also love how he sounds totally normal when sings bluegrass.

My last favorites are the ones that center around Luanne. I don't much like her character. That one where she joins the sorority cult is so annoying. Some of the ones with Buckley are fine though.

Share Post

I'm especially fond of the one where Khan and Mihn become rednecks,  and Hotteyz.  I wish there had been more episodes with Luanne and Bill after they went to work in the Barbershop.   Then there was the Hooker who lived with the Hills who showed Peggy how to dress,  the female impersonator who thought Peggy was male, and the episode where Peggy did "squishing" videos.  Pretty much any episode with Peggy getting her comeuppance was a good 'un. 

Oh, and Chuck Mangione living behind the toilet paper in the Megalo mart was great. 

Edited by Mu Shu.

Share Post

Then there was the Hooker who lived with the Hills who showed Peggy how to dress,  

I love that episode. The white pimp who the hooker used to work for was voiced by Snoop Doggy Dog. The car chase where Hank was shocked that he would run a red light was hilarious.

Share Post

The episode where Peggy and Dale open Peggy's Books and Guns is one of my favorites. It has so many good lines in it. And it never fails to crack me up when Dale tries to sell the cop a Luger (I think) that's free with any $600 book purchase.

Usually the ones with Boomhauer are my favorites though. Like somebody above said, the one where he flashbacks and everybody talks like him is hilarious. I also love how he sounds totally normal when sings bluegrass.

My last favorites are the ones that center around Luanne. I don't much like her character. That one where she joins the sorority cult is so annoying. Some of the ones with Buckley are fine though.

I loved Luanne, but before she got together with Lucky.  Lucky never really worked well for me, and I didn't much like her with him.

The sorority one has one of my all-time favorite Luanne lines:

Peggy: Do you know why I play board games with you?

Luanne: Because I challenge you with my intellectual.  

Share Post

I saw the one last night where Khan and Minh try to get back to their Laotian roots.  Khan starts dressing as a Laotian villager, gets rid of all the furniture, etc.  I cracked up when Connie was practicing her violin, saw her Dad come in, and quickly pick up some ancient Laotian guitar to play instead.

And Minh lying on the floor mat, turning from Laotian language movie to "Friends" after Khan leaves the room.

The writers on this show were great!

Share Post

Oh, and Chuck Mangione living behind the toilet paper in the Megalo mart was great. 

YES!

Share Post

Bobby and Joseph want expensive jeans, and decide instead of working that it's "cool" to become panhandlers. The look on Hank's face when he sees them begging on the corner was hilarious!

Share Post

Anyone else a Buck Strickland fan? 

Bobby and Joseph want expensive jeans, and decide instead of working that it's "cool" to become panhandlers. The look on Hank's face when he sees them begging on the corner was hilarious!

And I have to re-watch this one. I missed Hank's expression... Yep...

Share Post

Anyone else a Buck Strickland fan?

Buck is a mess!  I just saw the one where he gets banned from the strip club, so he decides to make Strickland Propane "fun" instead.

Seems like I remember that Buck was married at one point, did he ever get divorced?  Miss Liz, isn't that Buck's wife?

Share Post

Buck is a mess!  I just saw the one where he gets banned from the strip club, so he decides to make Strickland Propane "fun" instead.

Seems like I remember that Buck was married at one point, did he ever get divorced?  Miss Liz, isn't that Buck's wife?

I think he's still married, lol. Ms. Liz was up on a murder charge at one time but I think they proved she didn't do it. I amy be wrong, though.

Yep, I saw the banned from the strip club too and it had me cracking up. I love the lines they give him. 

Share Post

Ms. Liz was up on a murder charge at one time but I think they proved she didn't do it. I amy be wrong, though

No, you're right.  She was charged with murdering Debbie, the girl they found in a dumpster outside that restaurant.  I can't remember if Buck was cheating with Debbie but I believe that was the scenario....in the same episode I think, Hank accidentally takes a hit off a joint and is horrified :)  In his stoned state, he is the one who discovers the body, lol. 

Share Post

No, you're right.  She was charged with murdering Debbie, the girl they found in a dumpster outside that restaurant.  I can't remember if Buck was cheating with Debbie but I believe that was the scenario....in the same episode I think, Hank accidentally takes a hit off a joint and is horrified :)  In his stoned state, he is the one who discovers the body, lol. 

Is that the same episode where Hank and by extension Peggy take over Buck's BBQ restaurant? 

Share Post

Yup, he was cheating, that's why he and Ms Liz separate.  And then he dumps Debbie (I'm a little fuzzy on why - I think it's to get back together with Ms Liz so that she doesn't get everything in the divorce), so she tries to make Buck jealous by hitting on Hank, and when that doesn't work, she tries to kill Buck (which is then how she dies).

And yup Kel Varnsen, that's when Peggy takes over Sugarfoot's.

Share Post

Awesome. Is that all the episode where Miss. Liz takes over Strickland Propane, and promotes Hank from assistant manager to manager? I really need to watch this show again, my sister gave me the first 2 seasons on dvd because she didn't want them. I have actually never played them.

Share Post

Is that all the episode where Miss. Liz takes over Strickland Propane, and promotes Hank from assistant manager to manager?

No. pretty sure that's a separate episode.

In one of them, Miss Liz puts the moves on Hank, you might be thinking of that one.

Share Post

It just makes me so happy that other people still love this show enough to talk about it! I love (many episodes of) South Park and The Simpsons as well, but this sadly underrated show is my favorite of any adult animated series ever---and definitely one of my all-time top 5-10 shows overall. (And I watch A LOT of TV!) Some of my favorites include Hilloween, Three Days of the Kahndo, Junkie Business, Nine Pretty Darn Angry Men, Revenge of the Lutefisk, Death and Taxes, Peggy's Magic Sex Feet, Lupe's Revenge, The Substitute Spanish Prisoner, The Witches of East Arlen, Church Hopping, and many, many others. While there are obviously some episodes I'm relatively meh about, there are surprisingly few that I outright dislike or will ever skip.

Peggy is the main character who bugs me the most---unfounded arrogance is just always more irksome than entertaining to me---but even she has a lot of great moments, and while looking over the episode list I was surprised by how many of the episodes I love happen to be fairly Peggy-heavy episodes. I absolutely love pretty much all Bill, Dale, Hank  and Boomhauer scenes. (I agree with whoever said awhile ago that Dale is actually a pretty awful person, but I adore him as a TV character.) I'm also a big fan of most of the 'minor' characters like Kahn, John Redcorn, etc.  

This show never got nearly enough credit for its awesomeness, IMO. It employs so many different types of humor, created a lot of really multi-dimensional, distinctive characters, manages to be genuinely sweet and heartwarming without being cloying, is surprisingly smart and thought-provoking about certain issues (such as when it mocks certain sociopolitical extremism on either side) and holds up so, so well for me over time and with repeated viewings. 

I record the reruns, but just writing this post is making me feel that I 'need' to own the DVDs :) 

Share Post

No, you're right.  She was charged with murdering Debbie, the girl they found in a dumpster outside that restaurant.  I can't remember if Buck was cheating with Debbie but I believe that was the scenario....in the same episode I think, Hank accidentally takes a hit off a joint and is horrified :)  In his stoned state, he is the one who discovers the body, lol

Maybe I don't remember, but I thought Peggy discovered the body?  Wasn't she making sauce in the restaurant, heres the gunshot, and goes outside and later finds the body in the dumpster?  Because I remember Hank wandering out of the apartment complex "stoned", Peggy's already with authorities as Hank goes by the restaurant and my favorite moment, Peggy yelling for Hank, "HAAAAANKKK!"....in the background.

Edited by CyberJawa1986.

Share Post

I still record it. Hate Bill and Dale though I know they are just cartoon characters but even so they are annoying. I like Minh and Buck the best. 

Share Post

What in the hell does Boomhouer do for a living? All these years and I'm still not quite sure. 

Share Post

It was only revealed in the series finale. You can find out here if you wish.

Share Post

Ms. Liz was up on a murder charge at one time but I think they proved she didn't do it.

For only appearing in one episode, although mentioned off and on throughout the series, Ms. Liz has always been one of my favorite characters.

Edited by CyberJawa1986.

Share Post

So it always bugged me that Nancy Gribble never actually left Dale to be with John Redcorn.  Why? 

Share Post

I just finished watching 'Pretty pretty dresses', the one where Bill totally loses it and thinks that he's Lenore.  The scene where the guys are in the alley drinking beer and saying their usual 'uh huh's/yeps' and Bill chimes in with a 'uh huh' In that falsetto voice (while wearing a dress and big hat), which makes Hank say 'All right. That's enough!' always makes me crack up.

Share Post

I saw that same epi last night!  I love that Hank and Dale both put on dresses to try to help Bill.

Share Post

I just finished watching 'Ho yeah!' where the new employee at Strickland turns out to be a hooker from Oklahoma City.  Hank and Peggy are so naïve, not figuring out what she was doing.  I loved the scene where Hank pretends to be her pimp to get rid of her former pimp Alabaster Jones (played by Snoop Dogg). And when Jones accuses him of keeping some money back:

Hank:  'I am the Mack Daddy of Heimlich County.  I play it straight up, yo!  You get the hell out of my 'hood.  She's my ho now!'  (It doesn't read really funny, but it sounds much better if you 'read' it with Hank's voice and mannerism!)

I wish I had recorded it.  They said 'ho' a lot during that episode! (mainly Snoop Dogg)

Share Post

I just watched that one, too. Hank was actually into Peggy's new look ("You look hot!")!

Share Post

I was driving back from a trip today and as I was driving along an interstate there were two billboards that caught my eye.  One was for a lawyer that you 'call when you slip and fall'.  I immediately thought of Lucky and how he got a settlement from 'slipping on peepee at the Costco'.  Later, I saw one for a discount shoe warehouse that advertised that they had shoes up to size 16 for men and size 12 for women.  I then thought that Peggy would have been out of luck at that place (I did see the warehouse later on, because it was a big gold-painted building right next to the interstate.  The parking lot was packed).  I loved the episode where Peggy went to the store and met the drag queen (I forgot his name.  I wish he had been on more episodes as Peggy's friend).

I think I've watched too much 'King of the Hill', since it's beginning to intrude into my travels.

Edited by BooksRule.

Share Post

I was driving back from a trip today and as I was driving along an interstate there were two billboards that caught my eye.  One was for a lawyer that you 'call when you slip and fall'.  I immediately thought of Lucky and how he got a settlement from 'slipping on peepee at the Costco'.  Later, I saw one for a discount shoe warehouse that advertised that they had shoes up to size 16 for men and size 12 for women.  I then thought that Peggy would have been out of luck at that place (I did see the warehouse later on, because it was a big gold-painted building right next to the interstate.  The parking lot was packed).  I loved the episode where Peggy went to the store and met the drag queen (I forgot his name.  I wish he had been on more episodes as Peggy's friend).

I think I've watched too much 'King of the Hill', since it's beginning to intrude into my travels.

There is no such thing as watching too much King of the Hill.  

Side note - not until I watched some early episodes recently did I realize that Brittany Murphy was the voice of Joseph before he hit puberty.  I guess I never paid attention before, but then all of a sudden, I realized that Luann and Joseph were sounding very alike.

Share Post