All Episodes Talk: What's the Story?

As for the ring, I can only fanwank that Sam told Diane he wanted her to have a ring, since she got none from either Sumner nor Frasier.

Share Post

One of my very favorite seasons is season four. I love the dynamic between Sam and Diane, they clearly are moving toward each other again, they're closer as friends, and that season has some of the hottest kisses between them!

Share Post

I can only fanwank that Sam told Diane he wanted her to have a ring, since she got none from either Sumner nor Frasier.

Fair enough, but Diane insisting on having the box, and Sam keeping it from her that he basically got the same ring at a wholesale price veered too close to Lucy-and-Ricky land for my taste.

If the show really had guts, the season would have ended with the Simon Finch-Royce episode and S&D sadly acknowledging that they had no business getting married.

Share Post

Stumbling on this old New York Times article from around the series finale in 1993 and it carried this accurate observation from one of the co-creators:

"I think there's clearly a 'Cheers 1' and a 'Cheers 2,' " said Glen Charles. Part one was the Shelley Long era, when the romance between Sam and Diane Chambers became the hottest and funniest sexual relationship on television. During "Cheers 2" the show moved toward a more equitable mix involving all the characters, with Ms. Alley's Rebecca becoming Sam's friend rather than a target for his unquenchable lust.

"Maybe there was even a 'Cheers 2' and '3,' " said Les Charles. As he sees it, the last six years break down like this: three years of character comedy and three of "more screwball comedy." A recent episode about Woody's wedding, for example, had enough physical stunts to qualify as French bedroom farce.

Share Post

I am bringing my question here that I originally posted on the Norm topic.

I have been watching the reruns of Cheers. It's been a long while since I watched the show in syndication. Was there an episode where a guy walks into a bar and the crowd yells his name out to the man just like they did to Norm? I am thinking there was a scene where someone, either Sam or Woody, worked at another bar, possibly in Mexico or Tahiti, and this patron walks in and that is what happened. Am I dreaming or did such a scene happen? Did it happen on another show maybe and I am just confusing it with Cheers? I have scanned through the online episode guides, but they don't help me. I'd appreciate the help.

Share Post

Pepe!

It was when Sam was transferred to the corporation's new bar in Cancun.

Share Post

Can you help me with another episode?

There is an episode where Sam and Rebecca are about to have sex. Sam is trying to take off his pants, I believe. They are on a couch and I think Sam is going crazy trying to disrobe. Do you happen to know the title of that episode?

Edited by GreatKazu.

Share Post

It's the episode where Rebecca is having erotic dreams about Sam, "The Improbable Dream, Part 1." Season 8.

Share Post

I like later when Sam was having dreams about Rebecca revealed she was wearing a mask and it was the old man with the hat who always sits at the back side of the bar, and Sam woke up screaming!

Share Post

RE: The Variety article

If the creatives still feel like Sam and Diane shouldn't be together then I don't need a reunion.

I watched a lot of the show in reruns on Nick at Nite or whatever the equivalent was when I watched it. I loved the Sam and Diane relationship. I'm finishing up 30 Rock and they mention something about how Sam and Diane ended up together which is not what I remembered so I looked it up (thanks, Netflix). God, it's still a disappointment to me. I loved that relationship so much and while I also enjoyed some of the Rebecca years, it was never as good to me. I'm not sure I want to go back and watch the whole thing from the beginning (the same way I don't want to sit down and watch all of all Law & Order but I'll totally get sucked into a TV marathon) but I might if there was a way I could end it feeling like they did end up together. Maybe just stop at the episode where she leaves and Sam imagines them together in their old age.

Or just pretend that maybe they still had doubts on that flight but after spending even more time apart, Diane came back to the bar and they finally got together for good. To me that ending says "we shouldn't get married now" but not that "we shouldn't ever be together in the future." I agree though that it felt like lingering bitterness towards Shelley Long since everything in the earlier episodes did feel like S&D had met their person. Not that "they were not the right person for one another."

Share Post

It doesn't help that Frasier (the show) didn't do anything about the Sam and Diane canon during its run.  I always thought it would be nice fan service to have Frasier mention that Sam and Diane had gotten back together--even in passing. I guess the Charles brothers really did not want them together!

Share Post

On 8/12/2018 at 7:17 PM, cpcathy said:

It doesn't help that Frasier (the show) didn't do anything about the Sam and Diane canon during its run.  I always thought it would be nice fan service to have Frasier mention that Sam and Diane had gotten back together--even in passing. I guess the Charles brothers really did not want them together!

My wife and I have been binge watching the series. We just finished season 5 and you could just see how even though they knew Shelly Long was leaving. They were giving us every reason to be happy when Diane left the series. When Season 6 begins, you see almost a tonal shift from Carla to Fraiser, now granted we had Fraiser and Lilth getting married and later having Fred and then later divorcing. However, Carla just seems to be missing her "hate on" and while they try and move it towards Kristie Alley, it just doesn't work the same. I do feel you could split Cheers into two halves, the Diane Years and the Rebecca Years. During the Diane Years, everyone is set in their ways and little change. During the Rebecca Years, you see major changes from Norm basically taking Diane's advice and do something he has a love for. Carla realizing she needs to fix her own life and Sam realizing if he wouldn't have been so set in his ways for so long, his life would have been different. Cliff never changes, Fraiser goes through the most the next six years of the series along with Woody and Sam comes to finally realize that the bar has been his one love that has always been there. 

Share Post