House Hunters International: All Around the World

I know it was staged but that being said HH producers don’t stage scenes of people pretending to explore an unknown cave as the tide is literally coming in.

Share Post

13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Sloth Boy was so irritating (and unattractive). I love sloths, but I wouldn’t move to Costa Rica because of it. Running a food truck from another country? That is ridiculous.

He really was a fool; I sorta liked her except for the fact that she supported his ridiculous plan.  I think they must have a trust fund/inheritance/family money that is really their main source of income; a single food truck and a B&B in Indiana, both run long distance, wouldn’t be likely to provide them with the kind of money they apparently have.  They were prepared to pay $275,000 cash for a house and I think they said they also owned a place in Colorado.

Share Post

23 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

think they said they also owed a place in Colorado.

And previously owned a house in Hawaii, when she quoted his dad at the end it made me wonder if he was dead and he had inherited money from him.

Share Post

I’ve given this too much thought. I’ve despised many, many, many people on this show, and on paper, there have been many people worse than sloth boy, but I think he annoyed me more than any other participant on this show. The fact that he decided that they are moving to Costa Rica on a whim, and the fact that his wife just allowed him to make the decision? Ugh. And the whining about his dream kitchen? Cannot stand him. The sloths were cute, though.

Share Post

Despite Sloth Boy's wife wingeing about his high-handedness, it certainly seemed like she wore the pants. Every time he made some blustering statement about ocean views, he looked kind of apprehensive/shame-faced, like 'did I do that right, babe?' 

Those front-wedgie shorts she wore on the beach were not a good look.

Share Post

If Sloth Boy didn't shut up about the ocean....  I was beginning to think the whole thing was a goof, considering the agent was zinging back comedic lines and the story was just too much - they had a house and a food truck in Hawaii, then Colorado and she had an inn in Indiana she managed. It was all a mess....

Also I'd've taken house #1, it was closer to furnished and nice than the other one and way under the "ocean view" (better to watch a typhoon roll in!)

Share Post

Qatar to Malaysia: They picked the right place. The wife irritated me. She said she wanted the toddler exposed to the culture yet had to be in an area with ex-pats. Couldn’t she have said that she wanted to have other ex-pats around to talk to? The toddler would be fine playing with any other kids, whatever language they spoke!

Share Post

Qatar to Malaysia- I was impressed at what you could get for $700-those were all very nice, and not as weird as a lot of the SE Asian places we see on this show. American size fridges, no hot water heater dangling over the shower, modern looking furnishings. (Although the place with the sink separate from the rest of the kitchen made no sense). 

Wife was annoying and had a freakishly long neck.

Share Post

I got the impression that the wife was annoyed that her husband had a job and she would be a SAHM. Could be wrong. Just my impression.

Share Post

Kinsale, Ireland

I was neutral on the husband until he made fun of the agent pronouncing three "tree". It really rubbed me the wrong way that he felt the need to make a crack about something as basic as how a local person speaks. The agent said something about his going back to America. I'd just as soon he stay there, we have enough assholes in America. The wife and her rolling hills of green....even I know the beauty of a newly turned field sprouting green, particularly initially when the sprouts are in very tidy rows. The fallow field would not have bothered me in the least.

Could be the way the show was edited, but it didn't look as though the agent thought much of the husband getting inside the bathtub. He seemed to be in disbelief. 

They picked a nice place in the end. My evil side hopes that the regulars at the nearby pub, which the husband just had to have, decide that the Yank is not their cup of tea and shun him to the point that he'll have to imbibe at home. 

Share Post

I got the feeling that the Kinsale husband and the agent (I love him, forgot his name) were both in on their jokes with each other.  The guy kept going on and on about his pub but other than that and hopping in the bathtub, I didn't think he was that bad.  As beautiful as the countryside was, I would have chosen the place they picked in town to be around people.  I visited Cork but didn't have enough time to make it to Kinsale, so it was nice to see what the town looked like.  It's beautiful.

Share Post

12 hours ago, mojito said:

Could be the way the show was edited, but it didn't look as though the agent thought much of the husband getting inside the bathtub. He seemed to be in disbelief. 

They picked a nice place in the end. My evil side hopes that the regulars at the nearby pub, which the husband just had to have, decide that the Yank is not their cup of tea and shun him to the point that he'll have to imbibe at home. 

I didn't think much of the guy getting in the tub with his shoes on, either! I also wonder about someone who moves to Ireland with the intent of writing 'the great Irish novel'- he had a pretty unusual job, I'd be more interested in reading about his 40 years of testing automobiles.

I fell asleep before the final choice, so I'm surprised they picked the land-locked place; it was nice enough inside, but there was barely room in the back to get the door open. They could have taken the place with the farm field and turned a portion of it into a nice big landscaped yard. 

Forgot to add- I was getting a kick out of the realtor's dry sense of humour.

Edited by sempervivum.

Share Post

Way to go, editors.  At the beginning of the last segment BEFORE we saw them make their "choice",  the scene opened with the couple walking in front of the blue house on the way to the pub.  The husband was not likeable at all.

How about a show featuring  the Irish agent and Richard from London?  Pure gold.

Share Post

The Irish realtor is my favorite.  I've said it before, I could listen to that man read a phone book and never get tired of hearing his voice.  I will say that getting the trash bin out of the back yard looked like no small feat.  That was a very small space.  The wife got the best line with her comment about the donkeys.

Share Post

I love the Irish hottie, too. He would have to show me a lot of houses before I picked one! 😏

Share Post

Spain to Vietnam: If she were working at a private language school, she would have to work in the evenings. That’s when they have classes- after school and work hours. I can see why she wouldn’t want to travel 20 minutes both ways at night. I thought they were biking all over Vietnam, so why did she say she was still getting used to riding a motorcycle? Bet the boyfriend had claw marks on his shoulder from that cat hanging on for dear life! Loved the cat sanctuary.

Share Post

13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Spain to Vietnam: If she were working at a private language school, she would have to work in the evenings. That’s when they have classes- after school and work hours. I can see why she wouldn’t want to travel 20 minutes both ways at night. I thought they were biking all over Vietnam, so why did she say she was still getting used to riding a motorcycle? Bet the boyfriend had claw marks on his shoulder from that cat hanging on for dear life! Loved the cat sanctuary.

I believe she was concerned about riding the motorcycle in city traffic which can be quite bad in Viet Nam.  I think they did the biking out in the countryside for the most part.

Share Post

I saw one sloth on my visit to Costa Rica.  Unfortunately, it was road kill. (Fortunately, I did add over 100 living birds to my life list.)

Share Post

LA to London: Richard can tick any of my boxes, anytime.

Share Post

1 hour ago, rlc said:

LA to London: Richard can tick any of my boxes, anytime.

Love Richard! 

When the husband said what his job was- editing movie trailers- I thought that was a job made for long distance, working at home.

That blue couch and chair were garish. Loved Richard’s quip about telling landlords to get neutral furniture.

What? No reference to Paddington Bear?

Edited by LittleIggy.

Share Post

I noticed there were throws over the blue sofa and chair in the last scene. 

At least we weren't told this couple was moving permanently to London, and it was obvious that unless the wife gets a job in Londan, they will be moving on in a couple of years.  I wanted to find out what happened to the cat that was on his keyboard in one of the pictures.  I guess it got left in sunny California.

I like Richard, and some of his remarks.  Interesting that rental prices have decreased a bit in London.    

Share Post

8 hours ago, laredhead said:

I noticed there were throws over the blue sofa and chair in the last scene. 

At least we weren't told this couple was moving permanently to London, and it was obvious that unless the wife gets a job in Londan, they will be moving on in a couple of years.  I wanted to find out what happened to the cat that was on his keyboard in one of the pictures.  I guess it got left in sunny California.

I like Richard, and some of his remarks.  Interesting that rental prices have decreased a bit in London.    

The couple were okay, except I was a little annoyed by the husband's whining about being in central London.  I did a semester in London and lived in Kensington (maybe 4 city blocks south of Kensington Gardens), which is as much central London as Paddington, and I had to walk 10 minutes to the nearest tube station.  So his complaining about the walk in Camden bugged.  Now, if he'd been including the actual time on the tube, I'd have understood it more, but that wasn't what he was saying.

The Camden flat was the best one for them.  The Paddington one was nice, but that living room area was small and oddly laid out.

Share Post

Richard saves entire episodes single handed. Sorry not to have his take on whiny husband’s big plan, while unemployed, to spend his day spending money on coffee, lunch and pubs. Get to work, jerk. (Yeah, I know, probably had his freelance work set up before they arrived in London.)

Share Post

SA to Brisbane: I liked the condo the best. What a view! Why does the guest bedroom need to be big. You certainly don’t want the guests to overstay their welcome! 🤨 The place they picked was nice. I bet that Queensland house was hot. It had window ACs.

Share Post

South Africa to Brisbane

We've seen this snarky agent before, and I kind of like him because, impolite or not, his comments reflected my annoyance, too. Like when she pointed out that the stove wasn't gas. He confirmed, yes, you're right. In each place, he gave them so many things and yet they griped about one thing or another, most of them pretty small. @LittleIggy, I don't get the need for a large bedroom. And I was really annoyed when they declared the place they eventually picked as being dark, because the place was bright, just shaded, so there wasn't a lot of sun streaming through the windows. It's not like the ceiling, walls, and furniture were so dark or that there weren't any windows. 

I liked the place they eventually picked the most, though the other places were fine. How about how she "always" wanted a Queensland home, well, at least since they started talking about moving to Queensland. Always probably equals 5 months or so....

He didn't want a longer commute because he wanted to spend more time with her. Yet, he kept on insisting that he wanted a man cave, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a where he can go to get away from her. That early into their marriage--and no children--and he's already seeking refuge? 

How about that? There are annoying people from other countries, too!

Share Post

Vincenza: oh sweetie, you can move him to Mars, and Chris will still be a mamas boy. I used to be married to one of those. Used to being the operative term. Tread lightly, but at least she’s 87...

Share Post

@mojito, yeah, if your family/friends are visiting all the way from SA, their jet-lagged butts just want a comfortable bed. They don’t care how big the room is! 🙄 Then the rest of the time they’ll be sightseeing. Liked when the agent said “You’re giving me gas” to the wife. 😆

Share Post

10 hours ago, rlc said:

Vincenza: oh sweetie, you can move him to Mars, and Chris will still be a mamas boy. I used to be married to one of those. Used to being the operative term. Tread lightly, but at least she’s 87...

That was a weird one.  They'd supposedly spent 20 years traveling all over the globe teaching, and, yet, he couldn't possibly buy a place in Italy without including a fully accessible posh suite for his 87 year old mother? How did he cope with being apart from her all those years prior to this? How often is she going to come and stay for a month?  Do all the women in her family live to be 110?  I have a feeling his plan is to move Mama in permanently ASAP; I hope his wife is on board with it.  To make space for your very elderly mother to visit and stay the number one priority when purchasing a home?  The mind boggles.

Share Post

I almost wonder if the 87 year old mother was helping pay for the Vincenza place? Didn't they go $60k over budget? Maybe that was part of the deal--Mother helps out with the money, providing she has a nice place to stay for extended periods. 

Share Post

59 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I almost wonder if the 87 year old mother was helping pay for the Vincenza place? Didn't they go $60k over budget? Maybe that was part of the deal--Mother helps out with the money, providing she has a nice place to stay for extended periods. 

I was trying to figure out how 20 years of English language teaching could fund a half million dollar house. I'm guessing Mommy's bank account has been playing a part in the story for a while. 

Share Post

I totally would've said "to hell with your mother" and taken the apartment in town.  That place was fantastic.

Swedish opera singer and wife - all three places were nice, but clearly only the one they chose had good space for the dog.  It didn't look like a young dog, so I wouldn't have wanted to go as far as they would've needed to walk to get to a park at that first place.

Share Post

7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was trying to figure out how 20 years of English language teaching could fund a half million dollar house. I'm guessing Mommy's bank account has been playing a part in the story for a while. 

This was a very confusing episode.  After revealing their chosen house the husband said something about "we're already booked".   

Share Post

It's  obvious the Japan woman didn't do any research before she went over there. First she says that she wanted to live in a Sub-tropical environment but then the first thing out of her mouth was how terribly hot it was.  Does she not know what Sub-tropical weather means?  Then she complained that everything was written in Japanese.  Seriously?  Did she expect everything to be in English?  And then were the complaints about how small things were. I'm glad the agent told her "small island small places".  I'm dumbfounded that this woman wasn't prepared for anything.  

Share Post

Aaaack!  Crazy Tina in Okinawa!  She was just too much and I hated her mugging for the camera.  And how did she get a job as a social worker in Okinawa and not know any Japanese?  Are ex pat Americans her only clients?  I really did think something was "off" with her mentally, and it seems to me that she's the one who needs help.  The daughter was level headed but she annoyed me with the whining about needing a bedroom, but I'm guessing that was producer-driven.   

I wouldn't be surprised if the woman is back in the U.S. by now.  Either that or someone threw her in the ocean.  

Edited by Ohwell.

Share Post

Okinawa- There's a huge US base on Okinawa (20,000 workers/service people) so I assume this is where Tina works. I did think it was odd that there was none of the usual discussion of 'how far is this house to my work'.

My mom was a clinical social worker; CSW's work under the supervision of an MD/psychiatrist (unlike regular social workers). So at least in theory, Tina is licensed at a more advanced level. Her hair trigger emotionalism and stubborn/illogical personality seem like an odd fit with her profession. Was her face dirty or did she just have a lot of wispy facial hair?

Share Post

5 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Okinawa- There's a huge US base on Okinawa (20,000 workers/service people) so I assume this is where Tina works. I did think it was odd that there was none of the usual discussion of 'how far is this house to my work'.

Yes about the U.S. base on Okinawa.  However, I still don't see how someone as quirky and unstable as she appears to be got the job.  Maybe she interviewed by Skype or something, so they didn't really know how she was?

Share Post

16 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

This was a very confusing episode.  After revealing their chosen house the husband said something about "we're already booked".   

As soon as I saw that, it confirmed (at least to me) what I already suspected- they were always looking for a place with space to rent out.

That "lovely downstairs space" that just happened to have a second oven? Please. That's not for the 87- year old mom. That's for the Airbnb apartment (probably with separate entrance) that allows 2 teachers to afford to pay almost 600k for a house. The thing that drives me nuts is why the show doesn't just go with what's more likely the real story? It's compelling enough. We know the husband isn't going through all that drama to accommodate a 87 year old woman who may not even be up to the trip. 

Share Post

Miami to Italy - wow, I was sick of both of them by the end. The wife yammering about how the last place wasn't really Italian - uh, not if the shelter mags/sites are anything to go by, it's right on trend Italian. Not just your Godfather influenced idea of what Italian is. I wondered about the "booked" too - I agree, had to be Air BnB or something similar, otherwise why go so far over budget? They already looked really strained, like this was a horrible idea.  I did have a colleague at one time who had been a fighter pilot in Vietnam who straight up said the hardest thing he'd ever done was run a bed and breakfast. I think of that every time I see people all excited to go buy one.

I agree @TVForever  why not say "we want a third bedroom kind of set off because we intend on financing the move with Air BnB"?  They do on some shows, I've seen several of the Caribbean ones talking about renting out places.

Share Post

On 10/18/2018 at 11:28 AM, sempervivum said:

I thought they said they had taught in 20 countries. The narrator kept saying a series of “temporary teaching jobs.” Since the husband was older than the wife, I figured he had a prior career then turned to teaching ESL in order to travel around. No way they socked away a half million bucks on ESL pay.

Share Post

Antwerp: Why wasn’t the unemployed husband fixing dinner at the “three months later”segment?  Too busy playing computer games?🤔

Wny didn’t they get little booties for the little doggie to wear in the house so she wouldn’t slip? 

Share Post

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, Ohwell said:

Aaaack!  Crazy Tina in Okinawa!  She was just too much and I hated her mugging for the camera. 

Can you imagine what the real estate agent thought of her?  She did nothing to change people's impressions of Americans for the better.

22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Was her face dirty or did she just have a lot of wispy facial hair?

I would call it a post-menopausal 'stache.  There are many ways in which she could fix that.

Share Post

On 10/19/2018 at 9:03 AM, Ohwell said:

Aaaack!  Crazy Tina in Okinawa!  She was just too much and I hated her mugging for the camera.  And how did she get a job as a social worker in Okinawa and not know any Japanese?  Are ex pat Americans her only clients?  I really did think something was "off" with her mentally, and it seems to me that she's the one who needs help.  The daughter was level headed but she annoyed me with the whining about needing a bedroom, but I'm guessing that was producer-driven.   

I wouldn't be surprised if the woman is back in the U.S. by now.  Either that or someone threw her in the ocean.  

This one! I had the same questions of wondering how she got a job!

I fell asleep during the commercials before the reveal- can anybody help me out? House place with water view or affordable apt?

Share Post

11 minutes ago, lgprimes said:

This one! I had the same questions of wondering how she got a job!

I fell asleep during the commercials before the reveal- can anybody help me out? House place with water view or affordable apt?

She took the first place, ocean view, $100 over budget.  

Edited by Ohwell.

Share Post

16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Antwerp: Why wasn’t the unemployed husband fixing dinner at the “three months later”segment?  Too busy playing computer games?🤔

Wny didn’t they get little booties for the little doggie to wear in the house so she wouldn’t slip? 

OMG! All the giggling by both of them made me stabby! After every few words one of them giggled which usually spurred the other to giggle.

Share Post

If the wife of the LA to London couple called her husband "babe" one more time, I wanted to slap her upside the head. I don't mind terms of endearment between couples, but "babe" is the one that sets my teeth on edge. 

I think in this episode and one of the others (Italy? Australia?) that the phrase "happy wife, happy life" was trotted out again. Enough with that idiotic, sexist phrase.

A grown man being concerned about his 87-year-old mother is not a "mama's boy." Granted, that might have been a fake scenario (as several others have pointed out, a studio apartment on the first/lower level would lend itself to an Airbnb pretty easily), but other than his mentioning his mother several times, I don't see anything wrong in being concerned that an 87-year-old woman (who might or might not have health issues) would have trouble navigating an enormous number of steps).

I found the South Africa to Brisbane couple annoying, especially the husband's insistence on a "man cave." I always thought "man cave" was an obnoxious US concept. A young couple with no children doesn't need a three bedroom place. And I felt a little sorry for the wife, still harping on the electric stove three months later. To me, that's a sign that she regretted moving into that place. I do kind of understand her insistence on gas. I don't cook much, but I've used both electric and gas stoves, and I prefer gas.

I watched the first opening seconds of the Japan episode, found the women's screeching to be so off-putting that I turned it off & deleted it from the DVR. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I watched the first opening seconds of the Japan episode, found the women's screeching to be so off-putting that I turned it off & deleted it from the DVR. 

You did the right thing.  If you had watched the whole episode, you might have had nightmares. 

Share Post

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

She took the first place, ocean view, $100 over budget.  

Thanks! Practicality was not her style so I’m not surprised

Share Post

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

You did the right thing.  If you had watched the whole episode, you might have had nightmares. 

What a way to open the show with that horrendous screech.Throughout the show I kept thinking that this women has been hired by someone to help people and she was a coo-coo case herself. Amazing her daughter grew up to be so normal.

1 hour ago, lgprimes said:

Thanks! Practicality was not her style so I’m not surprised

No, she wasn't practical but I have to say that the #2 house was a very depressing studio with a depressing view.

Share Post