S07.E01: Return to Amy's Baking Company

Sorry if this is boards on boards, btw. I tried not to.

We don't have the boards-on-boards rule here, so don't worry about it.

We have one rule: don't be a dick.  

Share Post

Thanks Julia!  I was on the right track.

And thanks PTV mods for the no boards on boards....I never got that either.

I'm an old fart.

On Topic....I love Gordon (much to Mr. Songbird's chagrin).  He calls him 'that guy who yells at everybody'....;-)

Share Post

Chiming in late, because I just saw this episode, but it accomplished something I never would've thought possible. It made me have at least a little bit of sympathy for two really unpleasant people. (You know those people who get arrested for slavery, because they keep some illegal immigrant under virtual lock and key and threaten to report them if they complain? Amy struck me as the kind of person who could do that. And that previously unseen clip, where Sammy curses at and threatens to call the police on a guy who's walking out after waiting an hour for a pizza, was truly appalling).

But what was really served by giving them more exposure, other than Kitchen Nightmares getting to pat itself on the back for stirring up a social media firestorm, and also getting a cheaply produced segment of mostly old footage.  At this point it seems almost like inviting someone to laugh at the mentally ill. That's probably too strong a term to use, but as others have pointed out, their problems seem to go far beyond the self-delusion of the typical KN subject. (Many of whom I suspect are made out to be worse than they really are, for the redemption arc.) When they showed the clip of Amy talking about her cats it seemed that the show was going out of its way to humiliate her out of spite. (I actually know several childless women who refer to their cats as their children. It may be sad, but it's not all that unusual).

The dynamic between Sammy and Amy seems pretty obvious. She's his trophy wife, and he's not going to say anything to risk having her walk out. Considering how many times he talked about his manhood, having a younger wife (who I'm sure he considers hot) is a big status symbol for him. (Amy also has some kind of weird fixation on manhood. Her worst insult, which she used several times, is to call someone a pansy).

It did feel a bit like the big guy (GR, Kitchen Nightmares) kicking around the little guy just because they can. The unused clips really didn't add anything to the story, and neither did the interview. I hope this is the last I see or hear of Amy's Baking Company for a long long time.

Share Post

Agreed. There really wasn't anything new that was added to this episode. I feel like Ramsey could have walked through the door, taken one look at Amy's buggin' out baby blues, and said, "Right, then." As he quickly walked back out. Still crazy, stop poking it.

Share Post

She's his trophy wife, and he's not going to say anything to risk having her walk out.

She's certainly a real prize, that's for sure.

Share Post

Yeah it turns out the desserts are bought from another company.

I understand Amy buys her cakes and pies from Safeway, and basically charges as much for one slice as she paid for the whole cake. This also explains why special orders aren't allowed.

Share Post

The food was average. [...] It was super expensive, though.

This was the impression I got from watching the episode. I haven't watched Kitchen Nightmares in years, because similar to another poster, it was making me want to stop eating in any restaurant ever, but the "return" episode was on OnDemand, so I just watched it.

Having never eaten there, my guess would be the objection is more to the exhorbitant prices (and bad/slow service) than the average/mediocre food. If the undercooked pizza was $10, then oh well -- what do you expect for $10? But for $22, people expect (rightfully so) a higher standard of quality. I think Amy is 75% wrong about the grand "Yelper conspiracy," but I also think people get particularly angry when they feel they are being ripped off. If the majority of the reviews had been more along the lines of "This place is not worth it for the quality of food you get" rather than "HORRIBLE food! AWFUL! Worst food EVER!", I wonder if Amy would've been quite so upset.

I saw a Kitchen Nightmares episode where Gordon Ramsay got physically ill after eating the food. I don't think that would've happened here. And yes, Samy and Amy (which I was pronouncing as "Same-y and Amy" before I saw the episode) have made-for-reality-TV personalities, but I've seen more outrageous behavior from Brandon Hantz on Survivor and about seven people from the last season of Big Brother.

I don't think Ramsay could've saved this restaurant, because Samy and Amy were too resistant to change, but I'm guessing once the hype dies down, they'll go back to being an overpriced restaurant that serves mediocre food. Which is not exactly a dream kitchen, but it's also not a kitchen nightmare.

Edited by Eolivet.

Share Post

I don't think Ramsay could've saved this restaurant, because Samy and Amy were too resistant to change, but I'm guessing once the hype dies down, they'll go back to being an overpriced restaurant that serves mediocre food. Which is not exactly a dream kitchen, but it's also not a kitchen nightmare.

The hype will never die down.  Samy and Amy milk it now and base their business on it.

Share Post

If the majority of the reviews had been more along the lines of "This place is not worth it for the quality of food you get" rather than "HORRIBLE food! AWFUL! Worst food EVER!", I wonder if Amy would've been quite so upset.

I have no doubt Amy would have been just as upset - she considers her food to be a little bit of heaven in Arizona, to say it isn't worth the price she charges would make her just as mad.  You have to remember, she's crazy.

Share Post

Just saw a blurb on TMZ that Sammy threatened a customer with a knife. There was video, but I couldn't get it to play.

Share Post

So I guess Samy's kinda given up on the deportation front, huh.

I think Amy's going to have to rethink the whole bleu cheese bacon burger concept before they relocate to Israel.

Share Post

Has this ep rerun recently? It's not turning up on my DVR. The first one did, but not the return.

Share Post

More info on today's incident:

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/amys-baking-company-owner-threatens-to-shiv-a-guy-on-vi-1640128748

(from Jezebel)

Remember Crazy Amy and Samy Bouzaglo from that one absolutely bonkers episode of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares? They're back in the news! This time, there's video of Samy nearly stabbing a customer.

Earlier today, TMZ released a video of Samy storming out of the restaurant possessed of a deranged look in his eye and what appears to be a butter knife (seriously). According to the person who shot the video, there was a drunk patron at the restaurant, for some reason Amy lost her shit and told him to leave, which he then did peaceably...only for Samy to charge out after him looking to cut a guy (or at least lightly smear him with a spreadable Land O'Lakes product).

In the first part of the video, Amy actually holds Samy back, and when she's the least terrifying person in a scenario, you know something has gone horribly wrong. In the second part, she can be seen shouting at someone off-screen to the effect of "motherfucking piece of shit coward," as one does. When contacted by TMZ, Amy and Samy insist he was holding a pen rather than a knife, which is nice, because that allows us to add "video recordings" to the list of technology for which the couple lack the most basic conceptual understanding.

Amy and Samy have been back in the news a lot this year. You may remember that last season, Kitchen Nightmares did "another" episode there (which they tragically and inexplicably failed to title "Amy's Baking Company 2: Electric Bouzaglo"*) which mainly consisted of old unused footage and new interviews with Amy and Samy about the aftermath of one of the strangest pieces of TV any of us have ever witnessed. Around the same time, Amy accused Gordon Ramsey of sexually harassing her.

While we don't know exactly what happened here, it's generally never a good idea to threaten to stab another person, no matter what they've done. No word yet on what Amy's cat children have to say about the whole affair, though no doubt they'll soon be putting out a press release.

Share Post

No word yet on what Amy's cat children have to say about the whole affair, though no doubt they'll soon be putting out a press release.

Meow! Meow! Meow, meow, meow! Meow, Amy's crazy, meow! Meow, Samy too, meow!

Share Post

This is my all time favorite episode for 2 reasons.  It was vastly entertaining.  And it showed me that this series is not staged.  If any episode would be called out for this, Amy's would be it.  

My son lives in Phoenix and the next time I visit we will go there.  Nice to know it is on Hulu so he can watch it before we go.  I have only seen this once when it first aired and I want to see it again.  He will not want to go because I will return food to the kitchen if it is bad in anyway.  He hates that and I rarely do it.  I will have to promise that I won't. 

I just went to their site and it is now a soup, salad, sandwich place with a huge emphasis on their baked goods.   We will just go for coffee and dessert.  They look fabulous.  I will aim to go when it is busy so they will both be there and hope they get a cranky diner.  

Share Post

No more pizza?? But that was Amy's specialty. LOL

The desserts she gets from somewhere else. No idea about the soups, so do let us know what you order and what it tastes like.

Share Post

No more pizza?? But that was Amy's specialty. LOL

The desserts she gets from somewhere else. No idea about the soups, so do let us know what you order and what it tastes like.

No pizza but they have a flat bread.  Baking company and they buy their desserts?!  Wow.  

http://amys-baking-company.myshopify.com/

Their flat bread. 

2015-01-10_23.53.06_large.jpg?1575650448

Share Post

Baking company and they buy their desserts?!  Wow.  

Oh, yeah. Amy, who I'm going to guess was born without the gene for irony of any kind, took to facebook after people started posting links to the original sites she stole her product pictures from to admit that she bought all her cakes at a big box store. She also said that she lied to Ramsay about baking her own sweets because as a british person he didn't understand that the glory of american commerce is taking stuff people made somewhere else and taking a rakeoff while passing it along to the consumer. Which is as succinct a description of a certain brand of capitalism as I've heard in a while. 

As to how Amy and Samy got on Fox, I've suspected for a while that it had to do with the fact that they were bundlers for the local branch of the Republican party during the McCain campaign, which is also, I suspect, why Amy's prison appeals dragged out so long and why Samy hasn't been deported yet.

Share Post

What?  Amy's prison appeals?  Deported?  Fox?  

So her baked goods are from big box stores?!  I bet she doesn't make those soups either.  It is so easy to tell if a soup comes from a supermarket hot bar.  So easy.

I remember her kitchen was teeny tiny.  

Edited by wings707.

Share Post

What?  Amy's prison appeals?  Deported?  Fox?  

Amy, as it turns out, committed identity theft to take out a bank loan for $15k, and served a year in prison for it. Samy also has a prison record, and is actually barred from a number of countries in Europe for various crimes having to do with, reportedly, drugs, thuggery and extortion. He apparently failed to disclose that nugget when he entered the country. ICE would like him to leave now.

Edited by Julia.

Share Post

Man, I miss the days of Amy posting on Facebook to all of her "haters." LOL

I keep waiting for word that Samy's been deported. If you see him when you're there, wings707, please give him our best regards and wish him bon voyage.

Share Post

I just finished watching both episodes back to back...

Oh lord, they are delusional NUT jobs.

The food looked good, so I only have Ramsey's word it doesn't taste good. 

What kills me is their idea of customer service. Throwing people out for receiving poorly done food, or asking if they are ever going to receive their meal at all. I'd never  wait an hour and a half for a meal, and I'd walk out (without paying for the drinks, and have...once). But, if you yell at each other, worse your employees, but most especially me...that  is a deal breaker. If I'm giving you my money, I do not want yelling and screaming during my meal.

I myself would go online to warn others about you.

Share Post

I'll say one thing for Amy and Samy, they never fail to entertain. Amy's Baking Company is up for sale, as soon as the people get their paperwork in order. And she now plans to sell custom-made desserts from her home. Maybe my memory is failing, but wasn't it revealed that all of the desserts in her store were bought, not homemade?

And she's going to give cooking lessons online! LMAO!!! Meow meow meow!

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/prime_cuts/2015/07/exclusive-amy-s-baking-co-owners-looking-to-sell.html?ana=fbk

Share Post

Um, yeah. The city inspectors couldn't find the odor problem, and the former property manager refused to cough up money for the odor problem the city inspectors couldn't find which was making Amy (and not the people at the Pita Pocket next door) sick. Also, haxxorz.

That's some aspirational photoshop work on that picture of Amy.

Share Post

It's still up for sale, with one article saying the landlord wanted them out because of a really bad smell. Maybe Samy finally made good on his threats and there are bodies in the walk-in.

Share Post

"Any other person on this planet, I don't know if they would have survived what we went through because it was horrible."

Oh, Amy's going to have lots of fun meeting the neighbors if they do end up having to move to Israel. I have a feeling a few of them would have some thoughts about how worldshattering her trials are, graded on a curve.

Share Post

So Samy went crazy on Gordon because he sexually harrassed Amy????  LOLOLOL     Yeah, Samy isn't a psychopath, he's just sticking up for Amy. 

Share Post

16 hours ago, cherry slushie said:

Amy has a cookbook. She's now a baker extraordinaire, no doubt because the only thing Gordon Ramsay liked was her dessert. But, if I recall correctly, wasn't it revealed that most of, if not all of her desserts, were purchased elsewhere?

http://www.chicagonow.com/intellectual-chicago-suburbs/2016/06/stevens-book-reviews-baking-with-amy-a-cookbook-by-amy-bouzaglo-of-amys-baking-company-fame/

It was. There were days of facebook raging when people found the sites she stole the pictures of 'her' cakes from and she had to explain to us all that America was not a country which manufactures things, just a country which skims profits when reselling things which were manufactured by others.

Amy, among other sterling attributes, was a top bundler for the McCain campaign.

Do you suppose she meant the cover picture to look as hostile as it does?

Edited by Julia.

Share Post

7 hours ago, Julia said:

It was. There were days of facebook raging when people found the sites she stole the pictures of 'her' cakes from and she had to explain to us all that America was not a country which manufactures things, just a country which skims profits when reselling things which were manufactured by others.

Amy, among other sterling attributes, was a top bundler for the McCain campaign.

Do you suppose she meant the cover picture to look as hostile as it does?

So she bought desserts to sell at ABC when it was open, and stole photos of desserts to put up on her facebook and website? That being said, yes, she looks pissed off in that photo! I'm guessing it's some kind of FU to the Yelpers and Ramsay. LOL

Share Post

On 6/5/2016 at 7:50 PM, cherry slushie said:

Amy has a cookbook. She's now a baker extraordinaire, no doubt because the only thing Gordon Ramsay liked was her dessert. But, if I recall correctly, wasn't it revealed that most of, if not all of her desserts, were purchased elsewhere?

http://www.chicagonow.com/intellectual-chicago-suburbs/2016/06/stevens-book-reviews-baking-with-amy-a-cookbook-by-amy-bouzaglo-of-amys-baking-company-fame/

Wow. That book reviewer obviously did not see the show.  He describes Amy as a fearless individual who bravely stood up for herself when criticized by a curmudgeon.

Share Post

I kind of doubt he even read the book. "Simple recipes" aren't easier for beginners. Fact-checked and tested recipes with lots of details are easier for beginners. I suspect Amy's just been marketing her Lulu opus along ideological lines.

Share Post

This one reran last night...still so satisfying to watch those two nut bags implode.  Even on my 4th or 5th watch.  I hope her cat children filed for emancipation.  Or just ran away and became feral.  Anything is better than living with either of those lunatics.

Share Post

Amy and Samy should be institutionalized and their cat children remanded to foster care.

What a pair of freaks.  Would you buy a cake from those nutballs?  I'd expect ground glass in the icing.  Don't they both have criminal pasts?

The revisit episode was still hilarious, though

Share Post

Really, criminal past?  Never heard that but I would not be surprised.  Sammy is wealthy and we can surmise it isn't from a restaurant empire!  

Share Post

4 hours ago, Wings said:

Really, criminal past?  Never heard that but I would not be surprised.  Sammy is wealthy and we can surmise it isn't from a restaurant empire!  

Here ya go:

On May 21st, the Phoenix New Times[17] reported that co-owner of the restaurant Samy Bouzaglo may be facing deportation from the United States in a two-year-long immigration case. On the following day, AZ Central[18]reported that Bouzaglo had a past criminal history which involved “drug distribution, threats and extortion” and that he had been banned from entering both France and Germany.

Link to Amy's fraud:

http://www.ibtimes.com/amys-baking-company-owner-amy-bouzaglos-criminal-past-surfaces-after-kitchen-nightmares-meltdown

Share Post

Good god.  You would think they would want to keep a low profile, particularly Sammy!  

Share Post