All Episodes Talk

That former White House chef made a salad by opening a bunch of cans and chopping some stuff. Wow, I'll have to try that. 

Share Post

12 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That former White House chef made a salad by opening a bunch of cans and chopping some stuff. Wow, I'll have to try that. 

I noticed you used your sarcasm font. I agree. That was my thought exactly. 

Share Post

On 6/2/2018 at 4:50 PM, Koalagirl said:

Sunny feels compelled to offer running commentary even while she is eating.  It’s like she is afraid there’ll be a moment of silence while they’re eating.

I think she talks constantly to make sure she gets constant camera time.  And probably even more because she seems very insecure, so she has to continuously reassure both herself, the audience, and her fellow hosts that she really does belong there, by always saying things like, "Well, when I make this, I do such-and-such" or "You know you can take this ingredient and also use it in whatever" or some other tip that's usually very obvious and that nobody needs to hear while we're trying to follow the person who's actually preparing the dish.  She's perpetually trying to prove how smart she is and usually ends up proving just the opposite.  I ff through as much of her stuff as I can, but oh, what I would give for a selective mute button!

This is the only cooking show I watch where I find myself regularly yelling "Shut up, would you!" at the TV.

27 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

And don't forget to buy his cookbook.

Seriously, chef?  I can't believe that's the kind of stuff you fed the Obamas.

Share Post

43 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Hey, canned foods are having a "moment," dontcha know?! 

Share Post

4 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I have to agree about that mess that Sunny made. It was Kathy Lee worthy. Those horrible Suzy-Q packaged cakes, nasty coolwhip mixed with coolaid powder and more sugar? The only thing edible in the whole thing were the tart cherries. Did you notice she mentioned the "low cost" of the cherries? Has anyone here priced them lately? $4+ a can is the going rate. (I buy them to make pies because I don't like the cherry pie filling)

I'm not against using cool whip in a dessert, but that conglomeration was flat out horrible. Spritzing the dry cakes with cherry juice won't save it.

The recipe online has cream cheese...did she put cream cheese in the cool whip?

Almost every ingredient was made with chemicals. I think the only natural ingredient were the cherries and even then I wonder what additives were in the can. (I’m not including the almonds because those were probably optional)

Share Post

They like having Sam Cass on as a guest judge on Chopped for a while.   He was an insufferable ass on there so I wasn't happy to see him on here.  I tuned off during his segment but did catch the end where he declared that cooking pasta on Air Force One was one of the most interesting stories in his book.   Sound scintillating.   Yeah,, I'll run right out and buy it.  

Share Post

I'm not averse to using stuff like cool whip in a dessert recipe, but I don't expect to see it on a cooking show. I'd rather see how to make popular desserts using real whipped cream, fruit, good cream cheese, etc.  Or how to make them allergin free...for example, I have a granddaughter with a severe egg allergy. We end up using  many vegan recipes, because they are egg free. But I'd love some egg free recipes that aren't vegan, because milk isn't an issue.

Share Post

6 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

The recipe online has cream cheese...did she put cream cheese in the cool whip?

Yes, I've heard of that combo before.  And I know adding cream cheese to whipped cream can stabilize the whipped cream (although cool whip is already pretty stabilized). But that trifle was horrible. 

And I can't handle cool whip any longer.  I used to like it when I was a kid but after not having it for a while and making my own whipped cream, I can taste the chemicals in it....even when mixed with something else, sadly.

Edited by Irlandesa.

Share Post

Yes, if you stir cool whip by itself, it will liquefy. I think there is a warning not to stir it right on the bowl.

Share Post

On 6/3/2018 at 12:14 PM, Deskisamess said:

I have to agree about that mess that Sunny made. It was Kathy Lee worthy. Those horrible Suzy-Q packaged cakes, nasty coolwhip mixed with coolaid powder and more sugar?

"Powdered drink mix" requires the addition of a LOT of sugar. 

The only thing edible in the whole thing were the tart cherries. Did you notice she mentioned the "low cost" of the cherries? Has anyone here priced them lately? $4+ a can is the going rate. (I buy them to make pies because I don't like the cherry pie filling)

Yep, those things are expensive.  I've started using store brand because they're a lot cheaper than the "Oregon" ones in the black can, and I got a can of Oregon ones once that had an inordinate number of shards in there and contacted the company just as an FYI and never heard back, so I buy those only if they're on super sale. 

I use the contents of a whole can of cherries laid out flat on top of a cream pie, so looks matter, but it's just Mr. Outlier and me so they don't matter too much.  In a pie filling, the store brand (I've used Kroger) should work fine--I've never noticed a difference in taste.  They're definitely cheaper than the Oregon brand.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:10 PM, Koalagirl said:

I think the only natural ingredient were the cherries and even then I wonder what additives were in the can.

I have a can right here.  Ingredients: "Red tart pitted cherries and water."

Share Post

Wait - is no really going to comment on the Semi-Homemade slam made on GZ??

Share Post

30 minutes ago, Rigbysmom said:

That was hilarious! Wasn't it Katie Lee who said that? I didn't know she was so clever!

Share Post

That steak Sunny made looked pretty good (although a bit too rare for my taste).

I'm a little shocked since the majority of her dishes look terrible--like her cherry/Suzy-Q fiasco.

Share Post

I thought the steak looked good, too.  But naturally she managed to offset that by licking her fingers repeatedly while she was helping make the chicken skewers and then touching the cubes of chicken with those same just-licked fingers.

I seriously wonder if production has ever talked to her about this kind of thing.  They can't manage to not notice all of it.  So either she's a totally clueless slob or she's doing it on purpose, like sticking a finger in the eye of people who've had the nerve to criticize her.  A finger she took the time to lick first, of course.  A saliva moment, if you will.  ;o)

Share Post

Saliva Moment???  Ick!  Also......did anyone else have a hard time believing that G.Z. had never heard of a poke cake?

Share Post

Um. I don’t know what a poke cake is either. 

Share Post

It's a cake that you poke holes in after it's been baked--all over the top, with a skewer or something similar--and then you pour a liquid onto it, like a flavored syrup, or something boozy, or pudding or Jell-O--which seeps down into the holes and gives the cake extra moistness and flavor.

I know they've made them on the show before, but I think he tends to tune out on low-end stuff like that.  Because, he's . . . you know . . . GZZZZZZZ!

Share Post

On 6/10/2018 at 7:36 AM, Rigbysmom said:

That was hilarious, along with her comment about GZ not turning off the stove and burning the house down.

God help me, I enjoyed the sauce off.  They both looked nervous awaiting the results, and Katie Lee somehow looks good in one of those stiff trucker hats.  Marred only by Sunny's "toothsome moment."  I hate the word "toothsome."  As if "moment" isn't bad enough...

And back to semi-homemade, Jeff said something like "First the pie crust, and now this."  I forgot to mention GZ's store-bought pie crust from last week.  I couldn't tell for sure, but if it's graham cracker pie crust, then he's really lost it.  Even I, very much a non-cook, won't eat store-bought graham cracker pie crust.  Those tart cherries I buy?  I use them to top a pie I make with sweetened condensed milk (I told you I'm not a cook), and I make my own graham cracker pie crust for it.  I use store-bought graham crackers that I grind up and add butter to, so it's nothing fancy, but it is miles better than the store-bought ones.  I have a very hard time believing he would eat one of those.  So I'm kind of glad he lost when he actually used crap bought in the supermarket.

But good for him for praising Sunny's kale steak sauce.  It must have been painful for him, which makes me think it has to be really good. 

A couple of production notes:  The sauce she served was indeed a LOT runnier than the glop that came out of the food processor.  I'm glad they had a prepared version of the sauce the bbq guy used because of the over-dousing of worcestershire sauce, was it?  And I think they even swapped out a spatula for the potato salad--that woman was pouring the sauce all over the handle for some reason, but it looked clean when she went to use it.  (In my house, I would just lick it off and continue to use it, but I'd never admit that here.)

20 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's a cake that you poke holes in after it's been baked--all over the top, with a skewer or something similar--and then you pour a liquid onto it, like a flavored syrup, or something boozy, or pudding or Jell-O--which seeps down into the holes and gives the cake extra moistness and flavor.

A liquid?  How about three liquids?  Tres leches.  I pity the fool who ever tries to get between me and a tres leches cake.

Share Post

On 6/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I know they've made them on the show before, but I think he tends to tune out on low-end stuff like that.  Because, he's . . . you know . . . GZZZZZZZ!

That is a great description!  Katie's Semi-Homemade reference was spot on.  My first thought was The Boob Lady!  That was my late sister's pet name for Sandra Lee (The Queen of Cleavage)!  All these years later it still cracks me up!!!

Share Post

Props to today's guest chef, who must have watched this show before and came prepared to deal with Sunny's constant inane blathering -- he just talked louder over her and completely ignored her.

My favorite moment was when he said something like "you know what I do with leftover barbecue sauce?" and Sunny piped up "Drink it?"

Share Post

On 6/16/2018 at 11:57 AM, Kathcart said:

Props to today's guest chef, who must have watched this show before and came prepared to deal with Sunny's constant inane blathering -- he just talked louder over her and completely ignored her.

That was great.  It was a real "Excuse me for talking while you're interrupting" moment.  And I noticed the very next time she had something to "offer" while he was cooking, she whispered it.  So she gets it, but most of the time the people who have to deal with her big mouth just let her roll over them.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That was great.  It was a real "Excuse me for talking while you're interrupting" moment.  And I noticed the very next time she had something to "offer" while he was cooking, she whispered it.

She also tried to talk over her host buddies several times, too, and they ignored her. The camera wasn't even on her, yet, you could hear her stupid comments. Why doesn't one of the Kitchen bosses reign her in and tell her to shut up? 

Share Post

31 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

She also tried to talk over her host buddies several times, too, and they ignored her. The camera wasn't even on her, yet, you could hear her stupid comments. Why doesn't one of the Kitchen bosses reign her in and tell her to shut up? 

I heard that as well -- Sunny's interrupting and too-frequent commentary seemed to be worse than ever.  And then she left early which I've never seen on a show (to go see her dad for Father's Day??? we know the show is taped well in advance).  It was weird/different.

Share Post

4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I heard that as well -- Sunny's interrupting and too-frequent commentary seemed to be worse than ever.  And then she left early which I've never seen on a show (to go see her dad for Father's Day??? we know the show is taped well in advance).  It was weird/different.

That was verrrry weird. Good point about the show being taped in advance. I wonder what was really going down. 

Share Post

Yeah, that excuse about her leaving early for Fathers Day was b.s.  I think something happened during taping and she couldn't return to finish (wig malfunction, drunken hiccups, or some other kind of "moment.") 

Share Post

I also thought that was a very strange thing when Sunny just suddenly disappeared. I do wonder what really happened because none of the rest of them seemed surprised or upset by her absence. 

Share Post

Maybe Sunny got sick from constantly sticking her fingers all over the raw food and licking her fingers and hands and had to use the bathroom. For being a military kid (as she is always reminding us) she has no manners. 

Share Post

On 6/18/2018 at 8:03 PM, UniqueHandle said:

Maybe Sunny got sick from constantly sticking her fingers all over the raw food and licking her fingers and hands and had to use the bathroom. For being a military kid (as she is always reminding us) she has no manners. 

I call diarrhea of the mouth, moment!😂😂😂

Share Post

Seriously.  The producers need to turn Sunny's mic off. She sounded disgusting during during most of Jeff's demo just now making the pork burnt ends. You'd think she hadn't eaten in weeks.

Share Post

Sunny sticking her fingers in the food then into her mouth and then touching other things is beyond disgusting 

she’s becoming more and more unbearable 

Share Post

Sunny "massaging" the slaw with her paws was disgusting. 

Gesine Prado is a delight!

Share Post

Why didn't GZ even taste Katie Lee's beans?  I know he said that he preferred them with peppers; but, he couldn't even taste?  I have never seen them openly pass on something.  That was very weird. 

Share Post

I love how they’re not even trying to conceal their contempt for these bullshit craft projects that they’re forced to demo at the end of each show.  Watching GZ create pinwheel handkerchief napkins (hello, Girl Scouts circa 1986!) was hilarious.  He’s just counting those paychecks, isn’t he?

Share Post

7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Sunny "massaging" the slaw with her paws was disgusting. 

Gesine Prado is a delight!

Why did she even use utensils when she was dishing out the slaw? Just go ahead, grab a handful and throw it on someone's plate! You've already handled everything in the bowl. Ugh. So gross. She turns my stomach.

Share Post

And she stuck her finger into that BBQ sauce from the guy who was cooking the chicken thighs. When he offered the sauce to the others to taste, they took spoons to take some from the pot. I can tell the others on this show are just DONE with this loud mouthed, wanna be, jealous woman. I was happy when Marcella left but I’d be ecstatic (!) if they shuffled Sunny off to wherever she came from. Listening to and watching today’s show just magnified how loud she is, how constantly she comments and how desperate she is for attention. Please, make her go away. We won’t miss her for one minute. 

Share Post

And to add to what I just wrote. I also am the daughter of an Army Officer. I grew up on military posts all over the world. I am horrified at the lack of manners, poor grammar, disrespectful behavior to others and most of all, her lack of sanitary standards around food that others are going to eat. Yuck!!!!

Share Post

And I wanted to add that, like Shouty Sunny, I live alone, and I wouldn't mix a slaw or anything with my hands even though I would most likely be serving only myself. I've said it before, but before this show, she was so pleasant and calm. I would often watch whatever her first show was called. But she has changed so much and it makes me sad for her. Of course she's cackling all the way to the bank. When she dipped her paw in the guest's sauce, I cringed. Even when I'm making a lemon dill sauce, a vinaigrette or something similar, I always use a spoon to taste it. 

Share Post

24 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

And she stuck her finger into that BBQ sauce from the guy who was cooking the chicken thighs. When he offered the sauce to the others to taste, they took spoons to take some from the pot. I can tell the others on this show are just DONE with this loud mouthed, wanna be, jealous woman. 

The disgusted look on Jeff's face when he took the spoon and passed spoons on to GZ and Katie tells it all. They could barely hide their contempt. But then GZ, after not eating Katies beans goes and tastes Sunny's slaw after watching her with her hands in it and then making a big deal about how good it was had me thinking what did he just say??? I can't figure these phonies out. 

Share Post

He did try Katie’s beans. She handed him a bowl and he passed it to Jeff to be polite. Katie said something like “that was yours, GZ.” They are so unaccustomed to polite behavior that they don’t even recognize it!

Before they cut to commercial, GZ was eating from his own dish. 

Share Post