All Episode Talk

I don't remember ever hearing stories of them going to school together -- if so, yes, I agree that would be a continuity error.

Carrie and Doug both remember a time together in junior high.  First 40 seconds of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1w6RwZESkc   

Share Post

Carrie and Doug both remember a time together in junior high.  First 40 seconds of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1w6RwZESkc   

You have a much better memory than me -- I don't really even remember this scene, although I know I've seen the episode it comes from more than once.  

So, yes, I guess there are continuity errors re: when/how they met.  Strange....especially since a whole episode was devoted to how they met, although I guess that came after the episode with this scene...?  (Not sure and no time at this moment to check, but it really would make no sense if this scene was in an episode that came after the "how they met" episode.)

Share Post

She says it gets her in touch with her inner whore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6ldoTVzTY

Carrie: "Dad, those are my birth control pills."

Arthur: "Birth control pills? What do you need those for? DOES HE TOUCH YOU?!?!?!????"

LMAO

Edited by Flnurse.

Share Post

Fav episode = "Head First"!!

Doug takes Arthur out on a Friday night because he feels sorry for Arthur being all alone. When Carrie hears about this, she shows her appreciation to Doug by giving him oral pleasure. Doug starts to take Arthur out more and more because he hopes Carrie will keep 'appreciating' him.

Edited by Flnurse.

Share Post

I wish we could have seen Carrie's reaction to the story Doug told in Consummate Professionals.

I don't care about inconsistencies, I just love watching it. I chalk the inconsistancies up to it being a long running show.

Edited by Maharincess.

Share Post

Well how disappointing.  I just ran across one of those Yahoo stories about "x amount of celebrities who are a**holes to their fans" or something like that and Kevin James was prominently featured.  Damn, one of the reasons I loved him was he seemed like a regular guy who would be really nice in real life too.   Makes me look at Doug just a little bit differently now even though that makes no sense.

Share Post

Kevin James and Leah Remini's spouses were regulars!!!!!!!    Though different characters each time, any sexy asian chick (Kevins wife) or Hispanic man (Leahs husband) are played by their spouses!!! COOL

Also, Jerry Stiller/ Ben Stiller's daughter/sister same thing.

HOW COOL

Share Post

I don't think there's really an inconsistency.  They met on a double-date (see Meet By-Product below).  After they've begun dating, before they sleep together for the first time, Carrie wants to make sure that Doug isn't a loser, so he lies and says that he has a job.  He then hangs out at IPS for about 3 months until he finally gets a job there (see Consummate Professional below).  I don't remember ever hearing stories of them going to school together -- if so, yes, I agree that would be a continuity error.  

Consummate Professional:  Doug tells Carrie that it is his tenth anniversary at IPS, but Carrie recalls that it should have been three months earlier. Concerned because of benefits, RSPs, etc. she threatens to call IPS to have the date corrected. Doug can only stop her by now owning up to why she is wrong about the date in question. The episode then flashes back to when Doug and Carrie were dating and Doug has to lie to Carrie about a job in order to further their relationship.

Regarding the bolded part, I realized recently an error with that episode. Carrie is concerned about the benefits and when things should start due to Doug's start date. However, in the episode Package Deal (three years earlier) Doug quits IPS and tries to get hired at FedEx, with no luck. He is then working for the courier place where he is a bike messenger. Technically, his start date would have began all over again when he returned to IPS, correct?

There is an inconsistency about when they met since one episode has Carrie mentioning they met in junior high. That goes against when they supposedly met at the club where Doug was a bouncer.

Edited by SPLAIN.

Share Post

Fav episode = "Head First"!!Doug takes Arthur out on a Friday night because he feels sorry for Arthur being all alone. When Carrie hears about this, she shows her appreciation to Doug by giving him oral pleasure. Doug starts to take Arthur out more and more because he hopes Carrie will keep 'appreciating' him.

Did they ever expressly say that oral sex was her way of "appreciating" Doug or is that speculation? I've only seen it in syndication and wondered if they were ever more explicit in the full version. I wouldn't have thought that both Doug and Deacon, who seem to have healthy, active sex lives with their wives, would have thought oral was such an unusual form of pleasure, but without more information that was what I kind of surmised as well.

Share Post

Just re-watching for the hundredth time the epi called "Two Thirty" where Arthur loses a poker game and owes Deacon $100, which of course he can't pay.  In exchange, he offers to give Deacon's kid piano lessons.  Arthur then asks Carrie if 1) she knows how to play the piano, and 2) if she could teach him to play in a matter of days.  Her answer is "No and no".  Now here's the question:  If Carrie doesn't play the piano and Doug doesn't play, and Arthur needs to learn to play, who in the house does play to justify them even having a piano, complete with sheet music, in the house in the first place?  In their economic situation, having a random piano is a $$$ outlay that doesn't make sense.  For as long as that piano has been sitting in the corner of their dining area, it never before occurred to me that it's never used.

The "B" story is Doug needing a dentist, and he ends up going to the one that used to hire Carrie to babysit his kids, and is now jealous of Doug so Doug thinks he's out to hurt him.

Share Post

Has Doug ever said he plays the piano? Maybe he learned to play as a kid? Maybe the piano was a gift to them from his parents when they married.

Holly's uncle, I believe that is who it was, he was played by Hal Linden. He played the piano when he was a guest at a dinner party thrown by Holly and Arthur.

Share Post

Maybe it came with the house.  I know I'd rather give someone the piano than go through the hell of moving it.

Share Post

My parents have a piano and neither one of them play. Of course, I do, and took lessons when I was growing up, but I haven't lived there for over 20 years.

Share Post

My house came with a piano in it. We called a lot of places trying to donate it and a music school finally came to pick it up.

Share Post

One of my favorite episodes is "Frozen Pop."  The basement is cold so Carrie lets Arthur stay upstairs in the guest bedroom.  There are so many good quotes in that one.  I also like the flashback one where Doug and Carrie buy the 70s house with the shag carpet and dumbwaiter.

Share Post

I know I'm late on this topic, but that flashback with the dumbwaiter was one of the funniest episodes of comedy ever.

Share Post

Loved "Offensive Fowl."  But, I never understood why Doug gave the chicken he rescued to a farmer.  What did he think the farmer was going to do to the poor bird ??!!!

Share Post

Just saw one of the episodes where Doug is on strike.  More laughs in that one that the whole season of "Kevin Can Wait".

Share Post

The Strike is my favorite story line on the show. I love part three when Doug, Arthur and Deacon hit the streets, complete with baby.   

Share Post

So, just seeing the fladhback episode where Doug lied about having a job in order to sleep with Carrie when they were dating. So, basically he's a slut shaming creep and the conversation can be had as to whether he's a rapist since he lied about having a job in order to convince her he was serious about the relationship.  The scenes of him literally calling her a slut and pressuring her for sex since he and his friends labeled her as previously promiscuous were not funny. I guess the writers reverse engineered the reason a "hot" Carrie would settle for Doug is she was a reformed slut with family issues (in her characters words, "no mom and a dad whose crazy") who was willing to settle for a nice fat guy with very little ambition (he lucked into the delivery job while lying to Carrie).

Edited by red12.

Share Post

On 5/24/2017 at 10:18 AM, red12 said:

So, just seeing the fladhback episode where Doug lied about having a job in order to sleep with Carrie when they were dating. So, basically he's a slut shaming creep and the conversation can be had as to whether he's a rapist since he lied about having a job in order to convince her he was serious about the relationship.  The scenes of him literally calling her a slut and pressuring her for sex since he and his friends labeled her as previously promiscuous were not funny. I guess the writers reverse engineered the reason a "hot" Carrie would settle for Doug is she was a reformed slut with family issues (in her characters words, "no mom and a dad whose crazy") who was willing to settle for a nice fat guy with very little ambition (he lucked into the delivery job while lying to Carrie).

That episode always bothered me too. I hated how entitled he was...so because Carrie slept with the Derobertis guys, she can't say no to sex with you? Gross. 

Share Post

Not only was his attitude gross but he allowed the stupid, moronic attitudes of his friends bother him. They were shaming him because the idea that Carrie had sex with those other guys but not him was something to mock and belittle him for as opposed to it being none of their business. It always bothered me too.

Share Post

One of my favorite KoQ B-plots ever is when Spence asks Doug's neighbor TV's Incredible Hulk Lou Ferigno(playing himself) to go with him to a sci-fi convention upstate. Then Spence while at his job at a subway tollbooth meets Adam West. Spence asks him to go with him instead and tells Lou something else came up. While driving to the convention Adam reveals that he and Lou are friends and he told him what happened.  Spence tries to pathetically explain "Because you're better!"

Adam West: I see.  If you ran into Bill Shatner this morning, would you have dumped me too?
Spence Olchin: I want to say "no," but I'm so weak.
Adam West: This is why me, Lou, Bill, and Lee Majors look out for each other. To protect ourselves from pasty-faced opportunists such as yourself.

And then he makes Spence get out of the car and cross 8 lanes of traffic while he goes to the sci-fi con alone!

RIP Adam West.

Share Post

Just saw 2 good ones - Margy (where his mom is still in touch & Carrie is jealous) & the one where he takes an obscene photo of his front at the wedding.

Share Post

On 10/10/2015 at 1:15 PM, mansonlamps said:

Did they ever expressly say that oral sex was her way of "appreciating" Doug or is that speculation? I've only seen it in syndication and wondered if they were ever more explicit in the full version. I wouldn't have thought that both Doug and Deacon, who seem to have healthy, active sex lives with their wives, would have thought oral was such an unusual form of pleasure, but without more information that was what I kind of surmised as well.

I think the title of the episode ("Head First") says it all!

I totally agree with you, one would think that oral would not be so unusual or rare in a healthy sex life, but surprisingly, there are still women (and yes, even some men) who balk at the idea. I have a couple of female friends who straight up say they won't do it. It kind of boggles my mind.

Share Post

I agree that it seems that it's mind-boggling that there are people who refuse to engage in oral! But to each his or her own. I do think that TV shows like to make it out to be this elusive, men must beg for all the time, so it plays well as a nice narrative tool. I can think of one thing that would probably fall into the women would rarely, if not never do category than oral! But that's something TV hardly ever depicts...

Even though even if Doug/Deacon had great sex lives and this was the ONE thing they didn't get. Boo-hoo.

Share Post

I have recently begun watching reruns of “King of Queens” on TV Land and maybe this question has been raised before, but why does Carrie need a dedicated home office when she is a secretary? 

Share Post

On 2/2/2018 at 10:48 AM, Motor City said:

I have recently begun watching reruns of “King of Queens” on TV Land and maybe this question has been raised before, but why does Carrie need a dedicated home office when she is a secretary? 

Not only that but if she got a loan to make a home office, why a few seasons later could Doug and his friends not play poker in the dining room because she had to work there?  That always bugged me, they had to rent an apartment to play cards because she had to work at the table but she had an office upstairs. 

Share Post

I just saw a rerun where Carrie keeps buying designer clothes and returning them. Every time I see this one, I remember how much I want her purse at the end at her boss' party. It also reminds me how little respect be has for her to pawn his baby off on her. If her dress *did* get messed up, she sure as heck should send him the bill!

Share Post

This thread hasn’t been touched in a while but out of the blue I got nostalgic for this show. I added it to my DVR and have been coming home from work and been watching about three episodes a night. It’s as fun as I remember. One of my favorite episodes was Carrie’s bun. I always loved Deacon’s response, “It’s ass ugly, girl.” I’ve thought of that line for years, every time someone is looking a little too...garish for my taste. LOL

Share Post

I get nostalgic for this show when I watch Kevin Can Wait.  KofQ is just so much funnier - and really underrated as a sitcom.

Share Post

On 4/14/2018 at 10:37 AM, Starsandbucks said:

This thread hasn’t been touched in a while but out of the blue I got nostalgic for this show. I added it to my DVR and have been coming home from work and been watching about three episodes a night. It’s as fun as I remember. One of my favorite episodes was Carrie’s bun. I always loved Deacon’s response, “It’s ass ugly, girl.” I’ve thought of that line for years, every time someone is looking a little too...garish for my taste. LOL

Okay, the bun episode:  I can watch that one over and OVER!  I belong to a Facebook club dedicated to KoQ and you would not believe how many women put up photos of their buns!!!  (I did, to be honest!)  When Deacon says "Ass Ugly" it cracks me up!!!

The episode on tonight is where they go to the Inn in Vermont and have listen to Deacon and Kelly hump through the whole weekend.

Too many good lines to quote and go over here!!!

Share Post

Even if the King of Queens didn't exist, Kevin Can Wait is just a bad sitcom. However, because there is KOQ, Kevin Can Wait seems even worse in comparison. 

I still enjoy watching the KOQ episodes, as people have mentioned, there are lots of funny lines and situations. It might be nice to revive this forum now that I've seen KCW and cringe. 

Share Post

Not in any particular order, but after just talking about how much I enjoy KOQ, I just saw an episode that annoys me so much! lol. It's mostly cause it highlights how selfish and immature Doug could be. The episode was the one where they needed $12k to address mold in their house and they didn't have the money and Doug had to call his parents for it. It was funny when Arthur is in the kitchen with them when they were trying to figure out what to do and Arthur is in the way. Hey, at least he was willing to *anything* to help out the kids! 

Doug's Dad asking him for his "books" was hilarious. The look on Doug's face was hysterical. Although considering that Doug's parents seemed to be pretty frugal and paid attention to how they spent their money, they certainly didn't teach Doug anything about responsibility or being an adult. But we see that throughout the show, so it's not just related to how blase he is around money. 

What drove me crazy was when his Dad is going through their "books" (which only existed because Carrie actually bothered to keep track of anything) and then throws Carrie's closet open and tells Doug he needs to get her "under control". Umm....yeah, no. Carrie is an adult woman who works a full-time job and earned a decent amount. Doug's reaction annoyed me, but his Dad going through Carrie's things the way he did, made me so angry. It was patronizing and sexist. 

We know Carrie hates knockoffs (so do I, so I do not judge!) and she was dressing for her environment which makes sense. Doug wears the same uniform to work. I've worked in different work environments. One was in Manhattan and was a well-known company and people in that office dressed SO WELL. They weren't all in designer clothes but they certainly were very well put together. My current office is one notch shy of allowing people to wear sweats in the office! I still dress like it's my old office and they talk about me all the time! Those are the work clothes I have and I actually don't feel comfortable dressing so casually for work either. 

Anyway, back to the show! I liked how at the end Doug said to Carrie that next time she could just crumple the check and not rip it up! 

As with most shows, the finances are used as a convenient plot point when needed, so I take a lot of things with a grain of salt. I can definitely see Carrie and Doug not saving very much - I mean if it wasn't for Carrie, they wouldn't have any retirement savings at all and Doug was the type of guy who was lucky to have a solid union job. They did seem to spend without really caring and also mentioned having debt. They were pretty typical, so it was annoying for his Dad to get so self-righteous about their finances. A small part of me did understand where his dad was coming from as well though, just not the way he went about it or his conclusion as to what the "problem" was. They were a dual-income, no kid, except Arthur household (did Arthur have anything like Social Security?) so it was odd that they seemed to never have money when they needed it. If I was asked for $12,000 from a family member, I also would ask them "where are your books?"...

Share Post

On 5/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, msani19 said:

Not in any particular order, but after just talking about how much I enjoy KOQ, I just saw an episode that annoys me so much! lol. It's mostly cause it highlights how selfish and immature Doug could be. The episode was the one where they needed $12k to address mold in their house and they didn't have the money and Doug had to call his parents for it. It was funny when Arthur is in the kitchen with them when they were trying to figure out what to do and Arthur is in the way. Hey, at least he was willing to *anything* to help out the kids! 

Doug's Dad asking him for his "books" was hilarious. The look on Doug's face was hysterical. Although considering that Doug's parents seemed to be pretty frugal and paid attention to how they spent their money, they certainly didn't teach Doug anything about responsibility or being an adult. But we see that throughout the show, so it's not just related to how blase he is around money. 

What drove me crazy was when his Dad is going through their "books" (which only existed because Carrie actually bothered to keep track of anything) and then throws Carrie's closet open and tells Doug he needs to get her "under control". Umm....yeah, no. Carrie is an adult woman who works a full-time job and earned a decent amount. Doug's reaction annoyed me, but his Dad going through Carrie's things the way he did, made me so angry. It was patronizing and sexist. 

We know Carrie hates knockoffs (so do I, so I do not judge!) and she was dressing for her environment which makes sense. Doug wears the same uniform to work. I've worked in different work environments. One was in Manhattan and was a well-known company and people in that office dressed SO WELL. They weren't all in designer clothes but they certainly were very well put together. My current office is one notch shy of allowing people to wear sweats in the office! I still dress like it's my old office and they talk about me all the time! Those are the work clothes I have and I actually don't feel comfortable dressing so casually for work either. 

Anyway, back to the show! I liked how at the end Doug said to Carrie that next time she could just crumple the check and not rip it up! 

As with most shows, the finances are used as a convenient plot point when needed, so I take a lot of things with a grain of salt. I can definitely see Carrie and Doug not saving very much - I mean if it wasn't for Carrie, they wouldn't have any retirement savings at all and Doug was the type of guy who was lucky to have a solid union job. They did seem to spend without really caring and also mentioned having debt. They were pretty typical, so it was annoying for his Dad to get so self-righteous about their finances. A small part of me did understand where his dad was coming from as well though, just not the way he went about it or his conclusion as to what the "problem" was. They were a dual-income, no kid, except Arthur household (did Arthur have anything like Social Security?) so it was odd that they seemed to never have money when they needed it. If I was asked for $12,000 from a family member, I also would ask them "where are your books?"...

You should look up "Arthur's Basement" on FB, it is a private group for lovers of KoQ.  No politics, no advertising, just people having fun.  

To piggyback off the mold episode - yes Doug was very immature and his Dad was very condescending towards Carrie.  I never understood how they were so broke, either.  Double income no kids, and I assume Arthur would get SS or something.  The other times I have not liked Dougie:  When he became a bartender and encouraged a guy who said he could not drink to "have just one."  Seriously?  Also - when he would not let Buster get the credit for making the block.  Doug just looked petty, not because Busterman was in a wheelchair, but because Doug looked petty trying to take the credit for a high school football move from long ago.

Also agree with poster from upthread about Doug "slut shaming" Carrie about sleeping with the brothers and the uncle.  First off his friends were all "That's not what I heard....."  Shut up alleged friends.

Loved Deacon - totally hot.  Wanted him to hook up with Holly while separated from Kelly.  

Loved the wedding scene where their microphones were on:  "I hope you enjoyed our little skit!!"

I liked Carrie "dating" the cop to get out of the ticket. 

Share Post

On 5/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, msani19 said:

On 5/11/2018 at 4:01 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

You should look up "Arthur's Basement" on FB, it is a private group for lovers of KoQ.  No politics, no advertising, just people having fun.  

To piggyback off the mold episode - yes Doug was very immature and his Dad was very condescending towards Carrie.  I never understood how they were so broke, either.  Double income no kids, and I assume Arthur would get SS or something. 

As a woman who loves fashion and knows how much things cost, I have no trouble believing that they were broke. Doug's father was right, there were thousands of dollars worth of clothes, shoes and accessories in that closet. Carrie took care of the money, and it was shown that she spent indiscriminately on high-end fashion. I loved that Doug's dad recognized the name of those Charles David boots and knew how much they cost! 

There's no reason Carrie couldn't have shopped at stores like TJ Maxx/Marshall's or other discount type stores and gotten some nice clothes much cheaper. And this is coming from someone who spent a lot of money on full-price fashion back in the day - I got myself in about 20 grand worth of debt in a few short years, and that's with shopping at stores like Macy's, The Limited and Nine West - imagine the damage I could've done if I went to places like Saks or designer boutiques!

Edited by Gothish520.

Share Post

What I love about KoQ is that it is irreverent, and at times, it pushes the line of what we know to be moral and/or PC, but it's FUNNY. I feel like I have permission to laugh. 

The Carrie overspends episode and the comment Joe made about keeping his woman under control was funny because it's just what an older gen guy would say, plus knowing that Carrie usually keeps Doug "under control" added to it. We know Carrie! No one can keep her constrained! 

The Doug lying to get Carrie to sleep with him--of course, that's immoral! TBH, I think that's something that people do when they're young sometimes. My now husband told me he was enrolling in school. He knew I didn't wanna be with a guy who didn't go to college. I know so many women who consider some things there partners do/did as deal breakers, then next thing you know, they fall in love and get married. I guess that's why I got the episode.  

Also, the "reformed slut" thing...let's just say I totally got that part too. 

Share Post

On 6/24/2018 at 10:25 AM, zenme said:

Also, the "reformed slut" thing...let's just say I totally got that part too. 

Ha!  I read that again and imagined you saying it in a Carrie voice and it made me laugh.

Share Post

If any of you haven't seen it yet, go right now to Netflix and watch Kevin James' new special. I wasn't expecting all that much, but it was completely, totally hilarious, and is family-friendly too. The best surprise is the last 15 minutes or so, in which he improvs. Asks people in the audience about their tattoos, and goes from there. Funniest part of the show. I'd definitely go see him live. I've been so used to thinking of him as a sitcom star that I never considered that he was first a standup comic. I had no idea he was so incredibly talented at improv. Wonderful performance!

The other day TV Land showed the episode in which Doug is jealous of Deacon's new friend and dreams about being in an African-American church choir. I hadn't remembered this episode much, and was cracking up because they were singing the theme song from "The Jeffersons," which I now realize was probably because that the extent of Doug's exposure to gospel music. Not only was it a hilarious performance, it was a strong nod to character.

Edited by LadyKenobi.

Share Post