All Episodes Discussion

There is *GASP* an actual show on Food Network that teaches people how to cook from scratch?

Share Post

This is my favorite current show on Food Network & Cooking Channel -- no gimmicks, just good cooking instruction from a pleasant person.  Ideally, FN &/or CC would offer new shows by Nigella Lawson & Laura Calder but, at the moment, this is a shining beacon in the wilderness.

Share Post

My favorite cooking show on FN. She is so likable and I actually learn! Imagine that...

Share Post

This woman is really annoying.  And did you know that she lives in the Midwest?  If she has said it once, she has said it a thousand times. Also, her food is very unhealthy and fat laden.  

She seems to try to act down to earth, yet underneath she is a pretentious food snob.

Share Post

I love this show, but wish it were on at a better time.  I often have other things going on Saturday mornings, and either forget about it by Monday afternoon, or am also busy then.  And trying to get someone to DVR it for me?  Forget about it!

Share Post

I do not think she is pretentious at all. She cooks real food and yes she uses some fat, but she makes interesting recipes and always includes vegetables. I would say that PW's food is unhealthy and fat laden because she uses fat and processed crappy ingredients. If you cook real food, cooking with fat is not that unhealthy. 

She inspires me every week. 

Share Post

I made her curried carrots from this week's episode, and they were absolutely delicious.  It never occurred to me to make curried carrots, but what a great combination of flavors.  I think you could easily modify the method to oven roast them in coconut oil if you were looking for a slightly easier method.

Love this show.  She's a breath of fresh air on the dull and boring Food Network.

Share Post

Caught the repeat this afternoon since I was otherwise occupied Saturday morning when it aired.  She continues to amp up the use of oil and butter in her cooking, not to mention the syrup on the bacon.   And she was boozing it up again.  The toffee bars were certainly nothing new and neither was pan fried fish or rice pilaf.

Share Post

Orchidgal,

Can't you set it up as a series recording so you don't have to remember?

Share Post

Love her  - she exudes confidence but does not come off as egosistical  (though, that's just my op)  but the moment she has "her good friend"  Guy Fiery over as a guest, I'll be blasting right out of there.

And please, Amy, don't appear   "The Best Thing I Ever....Shat" 

Share Post

but the moment she has "her good friend"  Guy Fiery over as a guest, I'll be blasting right out of there.

Lol.  Can you imagine?  Hey, maybe Amy could host a cooking school for the majority of the remaining FN chefs and teach them how to cook?  She'd have to build a remedial course for Pioneer Woman and Trisha Yearwood, of course.

Share Post

Caught the repeat this afternoon since I was otherwise occupied Saturday morning when it aired.  She continues to amp up the use of oil and butter in her cooking, not to mention the syrup on the bacon.   And she was boozing it up again.  The toffee bars were certainly nothing new and neither was pan fried fish or rice pilaf.

OK. Then without butter or oil, what would you recommend? 

I am glad to know that coconut oil imparts a coconut flavor. I hate coconut, so I'm glad that to know this. 

Share Post

I thought the brown butter paprika monkfish was very unique! Not mundane at all, and she is adorable.

Share Post

OK. Then without butter or oil, what would you recommend? 

I am glad to know that coconut oil imparts a coconut flavor. I hate coconut, so I'm glad that to know this. 

You never responded to this. We are all curious to know that you'd recommend.  All for good flavor and heart heathliness. Thanks!

Waiting with breaded breath.  C'mon. 

Edited by Rhondinella.

Share Post

I think adding a jar of your favorite marinara, along with a light dusting of two pounds of your most scrumptious Hormel pepperoni, would make even the pickiest cowboy love monkfish.  Don't forget the pickled jalapenos!

Said while wearing an ugly shirt and my creepiest smile.

Share Post

Anneofcleves... Your post....Priceless!!

I just finished watching Heartland Table. I can not say enough good things about Amy & her approach to cooking. Her love of the food & love of her family comes through very clearly.

I have tried several of her recipes and everyone was excellent.

The last few years I have watched the FN for snark. I will continue to do so seeing as the FN keeps giving us ammo, but now I can actually enjoy a program.

Share Post

anneofcleves I too loved your post, you made me laugh. Thanks. I have not seen the new show but will dvr it on Monday. She seems so down to earth. I have to check out coconut oil too. 

Edited by monkeybread.

Share Post

Love Amy, love the show, love her kitchen and garden. I have spent the past few days reading the stories that accompany the recipes in her cookbook. She is quick to give credit to the other cooks who have inspired her recipes, unlike some other FN hosts. Amy and Ina are the only two FN hosts who I would love to visit in their kitchens.

Share Post

Here is where you can discuss the show as much as you like.  I've not watched the show, so someone come up with a pity epithet for the title and let me know.

Share Post

It's funny how what just fine and dandy for the Pioneer Woman (lots of butter and oil) becomes a horror for the Heartland Table.  What gives?

Amy is a delight - I love how she doesn't go into an orgasm when she tastes her food.  Real cooking, real reactions, and just an all around easy going, easy to watch show.  Simple and honest, just like she says.

Share Post

Bajovane, very well said. PW can do no wrong no matter how much fat she uses but Amy and Ina are always guilty. Oh and snobby too. Amy is a pure joy to watch, a breath of fresh air on FN. 

Share Post

I love Amy, but I think she uses, like most chefs, too much fat.  The good news is, that I can cut back on the fat in many of Amy's recipes and still have a really excellent outcome.  Some of the other FN chefs, if you take a away the excess butter and cheese, you're not left with much.

The next recipe of hers I want to try is the parsley salad she made last episode.  It looked so fresh, and that's what I'm craving lately.

Plus, she always makes me want pie.

Share Post

I am watching the repeat of Saturday's episode.  As I expected, the prune meat loaf looked bad to me.  I just do not care for prunes.  

And her shirt looks like she raided Holly Hobbie's closet.  I did enjoy the pretty scenery out the window though.  And it was nice to see her family.

Share Post

There's two ingredients here that we hoped would go together but so far no success. We hate to cut them from the meal plan. Hopefully they will find a way to adjust themselves to our simple palette.

Share Post

I hope she does the steak on the fabulous BBQ her husband built!

And I find her a pleasure to watch.....

Share Post

The grill is some contraption. Amy is very lucky to have a meat purveyor in the family. I'll bet she ends up with some luscious cuts of steak. 

Share Post

I made the maple bread & used a mild goat cheese.  Loved it. 

Share Post

grisgris and Bajovane crack me up! Big wheels keep on trolling, yo.

I have finally found ring bologna, and I can't wait to try it! Anyone that says this is the food of snobs has either an agenda or a screw loose.

This is total comfort food! Makes me want to make a cheddar mac and cheese with fried bologna on the side. ::drools::

Edited by Rhondinella.

Share Post

Another great show from Amy.... The homemade steak sauce is one I will be trying soon.

Her laid back approach to simple yet elevated food is something to take note of. IMHO.

Share Post

Those hashbrowns are a definite try for me.  One would have to be pretty darned careful though, flipping them over - good way to get burned!

Share Post

Just saw the new episode with the potato hash brown cake, yum. She is a bit of a mad scientist in the kitchen, but I totally trust her. I can see how nori would pair with bacon. The whole umami factor and all. She is so full of information and not just pointless drivel about nothing. Love her. 

I think her husband just appears uncomfortable on camera, to me anyway. He seems cool. 

Share Post

I flip fritattas the same way she flipped the potatoes (which looked delicious). And you do need to be careful - for me, more about not burning myself on the pan. I have very little upper body strength, so her ability to do it with a cast iron skillet impressed me. Oh, to be young.

Share Post

The cast iron flip impressed me too.

I will use a non stick pan vs. cast iron when I make those.

Share Post

Orchidgal,

Can't you set it up as a series recording so you don't have to remember?

Sadly, my cable box will not let me do that.  I can try, but most often the results are not worth the effort as usually things will just not record for me on my cable box.  I have to rely on my husband or daughter to record on their boxes as they have the true digital cable boxes in the house, and they are not always willing to take the time to do so.  I have been making an effort to remember to watch on Monday afternoons, though and I have been rewarded with the the warmth of real recipes and no fake story lines.

I used to try to flip using plates and a pan and it was always a disaster waiting to happen.  Then I switched to using an over-sized flat skillet lid with a handle on top and I have had much more success.  The handle is the secret as I can keep control much easier without worrying about burning myself as much.  Plus, then I can just slide the thing right off the lid and onto a dish if I like, or flip it again as Amy did.

Share Post

Orchidgal,

I would be lost without my DVR. I usually forget the first episode of a series, read about it later and set up a series recording.

The frustrating thing with this program is it isn't on demand, nor is it repeated very often. There must be something in the contract because it makes no sense. This is the second highest rated "cooking" program on Food Network.

Season 2 is now done. 6 shows and out. I wonder why they only green light 6 episodes per " season"

She is kicking ass in the ratings.

Share Post

She won the James Beard award for her cookbook last night.

It is a really pretty cookbook.

Share Post

That's great to hear, CheeseBurgh!  That cookbook has been on my wish list since I first heard about it.  Now if only someone would actually take the hint.  Hmm, Mother's Day is right around the corner...

Share Post

Congratulations to Amy! The cookbook is really great, both to cook from and to read. I am still reading the stories that go along with each recipe. Lots of background on the origins of different recipes, insight into midwestern cuisine and culture, and just interesting family background. Really well-written and organized. What I really like, though, is that she is very quick to give credit to others for ideas and recipes. Whether it's a restaurant chef who showed her how to make something or a family member or home cook who shared a recipe with her, they are all given their due. Unlike some other FN hosts who shall remain nameless!

Share Post

I was just thinking about this show - it's killing me that the odious Gigi and "Farmhouse Rules" are in Amy's spot.

I've made Amy's blueberry-lemon pie twice, and it's divine.  I've also made the Caesar salad with salumi and sardine dressing, the Swiss chard with honey-roasted garlic, the marinated cherry tomatoes with arugula, and the cast-iron curried carrots.  Each recipe is fantastic.

I will go mano a mano with the argument that Amy is an unhealthy cook or a food snob.  She brings more balance in her meals than any other FN chef, and brings in ingredients that almost no other chef is using (curry, monkfish, wild rice, a salad focusing on parsley, chard), but with maybe 2 exceptions, every single thing she uses can be found in an average grocery store.  Slapping together nutrition-free garbage, acting like vegetables are for other people or people in cities, and patronizing her audience with treacly stories, unattributed recipes, or recipes that are really just assemblages of store-bought, brand-name ingredients - that's not her steez.

I admire her.  I have looked at her blog and she's a strong writer.  I really want to get her cookbook. 

Edited by Midnight Cheese.

Share Post

I got Amy's cookbook for Christmas and I haven't cooked from it yet. I'm still busy reading it! Every recipe has a story to go along with it and there are also several essays scattered through the book. She really is a strong writer and it shows in her book.

Share Post

Season 2 will be rerun on Food Network starting this Sun (Oct 5) at 8:30am (EDT).  Better than nothing, but I do wish the show were going to have a 3rd season -- no news about that, alas.

Share Post