Wynonna Earp in the Media: Unredacted Reports

Official Synopsis:

“Wynonna Earp,” a new series based on the IDW comic created by Beau Smith, debuts on Friday, April 1 at 10PM (ET/PT) on Syfy. The 13-episode action-packed first season stars Melanie Scrofano (“Gangland”), Tim Rozon (“Being Human”), Shamier Anderson (“Defiance”) and Dominique Provost-Chalkley (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”).

“Wynonna Earp” follows the life of the great, great granddaughter (Scrofano) of famous lawman Wyatt Earp. After a troubled adolescence following the death of her father and the disappearance of her older sister Willa, Wynonna has inherited Wyatt’s mythic abilities and his famous gun – a Colt .45 pistol with a 12-inch barrel – along with his legendary old West enemies: revenant demons. 

Now, as a special agent in the Black Badge Division (a top secret sector of the U.S. Marshals), and with the help of younger sister Waverly (Provost-Chalkley), boss Agent Xavier Dolls (Anderson) and notorious gunslinger Doc Holliday (Rozon), Wynonna is determined to find out what really happened to Willa, and put an end to the Earp curse once and for all.

30-Second Trailer:

Behind-the-Scenes Preview:

"Wynonna Being Wynonna" Sneak Peek:

HitFix: 'Wynonna Earp' showrunner pitched the series as 'Frozen' meets 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - A good yet short interview with the showrunner, Emily Andras.

Also, here's the first five pages from the original comics, via The Hollywood Reporter.

Share Post

Here's an interview with Tim Rozon, who plays Doc Holliday.  It does include a few tiny spoilers, one of which has already been shown in previews for upcoming episodes.

Share Post

“Wynonna Earp” creator Emily Andras talks WayHaught survival - pretty extensive interview, focused on Waverly/Haught's relationship and the 'Bury Your Gays' trope that's been so prevalent on tv lately

Give me a sense of what’s in store for WayHaught for the rest of the season? Can you assure fans they’ll be standing at the end?

Whether they’re standing or not, they are certainly alive at the end of the season. They are really trying to make this relationship work and find out what this romance is. If it has legs, what it means. But they’re doing it in one of the most dangerous places on Earth right now. So, I’m not going to lie; there’s a lot of drama and danger coming their way. People get hurt, people get put through the wringer.  But they are both very much alive and very much in love come the end of the season.

Share Post

Interview: Wynonna Earp‘s Dominique Provost-Chalkley and Katherine Barrell On The Finale and Defying The Lesbian Death Trope

"As far as Nicole, I’d like to see more stuff with the other characters as well because it’s been a lot of focus on Waverly. It’s really important that Nicole maintains her individuality. I don’t want her to just be a piece of WayHaught. I want her to be involved and fleshed out in other aspects of her characterization. It’s happening in season one and I hope it continues. More scenes like episode seven with Wynonna and more watching her do her job and maybe interact with some of the other characters.

I think if things are going to start to changing for the better in the TV landscape, especially with better queer representation, it needs to be about more than just the character in the relationship. Because that’s all fine and it makes us excited. I mean, who doesn’t love that? But I also think it’s really important that we need to see these characters in other aspects, other dimensions of their lives. Do you know what I mean?"

'Wynonna Earp''s Emily Andras: "I Didn't Want To Make Her Some Dude’s Idea of a Broken Woman"

"It’s amazing and I never want to leave…Wynonna is such a progressive, insane, imaginative show, it would be hard to go back to doing something more conventional, to be completely honest. I feel like I’ve been so spoiled by the fans and the storytelling. I really have to give the network credit. There was nothing I pitched them this year — from gender issues to sexuality issues to crazy creatures to gore to weird sex stuff — that they said, 'That’s too far for us.'"

Share Post

This Reddit AMA with creator/showrunner/exec producer Emily Andras was fun, too.

On Doc being in the well: "I think the well led to a spring, and the spring fed through various underground channels and caverns -- where Doc 'lived' for 130 years. We had intended to do a flashback showing Doc in said cavern, drinking from the underground stream that fed the well, but instead we used our $$ to film he and Shamier fighting with their shirts off. I hope you can forgive me. ;)"

On the girls' mom: "Yes, it's curious that the Earp Sisters' mom left three little girls in the care of a possible alcoholic corrupt cop who thought he was a demon fighter. I wonder what the story is there...hmm..."

On fighting for certain storylines: "I have always had to fight for the LGBT stuff. Always. Initially nobody wants the pretty girl to be a lesbian. Even if she's been like that since I started developing her (and I usually have). Nobody thinks there's an audience. Nobody thinks it's a real thing. Then it is. And the audience comes because they get it. And I feel triumphant. And happy. I think also 'female' driven storytelling is still somehow seen as less 'legitimate' or 'prestigious' than shows that feature a male anti-hero...in the same way almost any novel written by a female author is decreed 'chitlit' regardless of content. So I feel like my work is often dismissed as pap regardless of critical adoration or audience success. But here I am, still making TV that I'd watch. And that smells like victory. :) That's my raging feminist answer and I'm sticking to it."

Share Post

Yay! I've been dreading every new post in this thread thinking it was cancellation news (not an optimist in case you were wondering)! Thanks for posting!

Share Post

Of course. But I think the writers should give the show a real ending this time, in case it wouldn't come back. Trimming a season order is usually a bad sign.

Share Post

Interesting interview - I had not known that she's also a writer, director and producer.

Share Post

Is that Brendan Fehr doing sit-ups??? Yeah, June can't come fast enough.

Share Post

Yay!  I've developed a HUGE soft spot for this goofy, gory, cheesy, yet lovely and sweet show. 

Good for them.

Share Post

There's a lot of these behind the scenes videos on Youtube.  I thought this one was interesting (2x06) because they talk about incorporating Melanie Scrofano's pregnancy into the show.

Share Post

4 hours ago, bosawks said:

Yay!  I've developed a HUGE soft spot for this goofy, gory, cheesy, yet lovely and sweet show. 

Good for them.

I really like how the cast and Emily A are on social media and how appreciate they are of their fans too.

I'm not on SM but I appreciate every who is because they are helping to keep this show on the air.

Share Post

Everyone involved with this show loves it, and everyone else involved, so much, and it shows. 

Share Post

Momma Earp has been cast!

Michelle Earp will be played by veteran Canadian actress Megan Follows, who’s best known for her role as Queen Catherine de Medici in the CW series Reign

(This is untrue. Megan will always be Anne Shirley)

Share Post

Oh, hell yes! I really enjoyed her chewing up the scenery on Reign (although yes, she will always be the one true Anne Shirley).

Share Post

From Syfy WireZoie Palmer (The Android in Dark Matter, Dr. Lauren Lewis in Lost Girl) will be a guest star in season three. The article has her character's name and a description of the character, but does not confirm whether this a one-off appearance or recurring.

Also, this video was at the bottom of the article: An official supercut of "WayHaught Kisses"

WYNONNA EARP | Supercut Saturdays - WayHaught Kisses | SYFY

Literally 134 seconds of WayHaught making out. You're welcome.

Share Post

Yay, great news - though the DM cancellation still hurts.

Share Post

Does anyone know if Season 2 will come out on Netflix or Amazon Prime, or if Syfy will do a marathon of S2 before S3 starts?  I got into the show late, so I watched S1 on Netflix, S2 was already over.  I'd watch S3 on Syfy if I could catch up via the actual shows (as opposed to just a "photo recap" that Syfy apparently is offering).

Share Post

@Hanahope, there’s no official announcement, but season 2 should be releasing on Netflix really soon. Imminently. 

Share Post

Nice, a little over a month should be more than sufficient time to catch up.

Share Post

Looks like Wave’s in for another tough season.

Share Post

As usual, the poor girl.

I can't wait for that episode where Wynonna and Haught are handcuffed to each other! Those two are always fun together.

Share Post

Season 2 now up on Netflix.  Time to catchup so I can watch S3 live, or live-ish.

Share Post

So glad I gave this show a shot. It’s good stuff. Give me characters I care about with a backdrop of otherworldly messiness and “I’m all in.”

Share Post