The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I have always believed the real reason the Duggar family has 'decided' that dancing COULD BE sinful and avoid it is only because Jim Bob Duggar can't dance worth squat....so he doesn't allow any one else to either.

I don't disagree entirely, but AFAIK, Jim Bob was reared Southern Baptist, and that church has a long tradition of banning dancing. 

Just based on my observation, I don't think that prohibition on dancing has been all that strictly followed by Baptists these days, but if JB sucks at dancing, of course he will see no reason for his family to depart from the old ways. I wonder if Gothard also preached against dancing. I remember reading an interview with Boob and Mullet during their heyday, earnestly explaining how dancing (and I think also music with a backbeat) is just too high risk for sinful thoughts and feelings, to be allowed in their world for their offspring. IMO that whole line of thought is so moronic I can't even. And of course those vessels of hypocrisy and greed were at that time blithely covering up the fact that their precious oldest son had molested five tiny little girls in their righteous godly home. If I believed in Hell, it would have a special and torturous place for those two horrible people.

Edited by Jeeves. Reason: Deleted a joke about Southern Baptists, dancing, and sex.

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I don't disagree entirely, but AFAIK, Jim Bob was reared Southern Baptist, and that church has a long tradition of banning dancing. 

Just based on my observation, I don't think that prohibition on dancing has been all that strictly followed by Baptists these days, but if JB sucks at dancing, of course he will see no reason for his family to depart from the old ways. I wonder if Gothard also preached against dancing. I remember reading an interview with Boob and Mullet during their heyday, earnestly explaining how dancing (and I think also music with a backbeat) is just too high risk for sinful thoughts and feelings, to be allowed in their world for their offspring. IMO that whole line of thought is so moronic I can't even. And of course those vessels of hypocrisy and greed were at that time blithely covering up the fact that their precious oldest son had molested five tiny little girls in their righteous godly home. If I believed in Hell, it would have a special and torturous place for those two horrible people.

How do they feel about Gospel music? Because to my atheist ear, a gospel beat is about the sexiest thing there is. Kind of like a waltz on steroids. 

Share Post

57 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

When I read your post, my mind went straight to that joke, then I saw your comments!!  It cracked me up!!

Of course, Boob doesn't let any of this stop him from acting like he did on the mini golf course, does it??  Thank goodness there was no music playing!

Share Post

Did Michelle dance during her defrauding cheerleader dating years?

Could be another reason Boob hates it.  He thinks nothing of dry humping and making an ass of himself every which way, but I can't picture him dancing without looking even more ridiculous.

Now I want to see your deleted joke, @Jeeves!  PM it to me if you would be so kind.  

Share Post

4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Back in my Seventh Day Adventist days, dancing ( and all other fun) was most definitely evil! The Adventists love Ellen White, who has this to say about dancing:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.egwwritings.org/en/book/76.2046&ved=2ahUKEwjhk63NjaTcAhWlGTQIHelHCkEQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0XJdJqdNeiTvhPLC5tZP7f

Share Post

On 7/16/2018 at 1:10 PM, louannems said:

Back in my Seventh Day Adventist days, dancing ( and all other fun) was most definitely evil! The Adventists love Ellen White, who has this to say about dancing:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.egwwritings.org/en/book/76.2046&ved=2ahUKEwjhk63NjaTcAhWlGTQIHelHCkEQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0XJdJqdNeiTvhPLC5tZP7f

I live up the street from the (recently torn down) building Ellen White had her vision in. Tour busses would make pilgrimages and people would pour out to take pictures. For years there was a dive bar on the first floor. 

Share Post

I went to a Christian (Free Methodist) college where we signed a Lifestyle Statement saying we wouldn’t have sex, drink, smoke...or dance. Dance was eventually stricken from the record and the school had their first dance that year (2007).  I hadn’t heard of the no dancing rule until I went there. 

Share Post

1 hour ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I went to a Christian (Free Methodist) college where we signed a Lifestyle Statement saying we wouldn’t have sex, drink, smoke...or dance. Dance was eventually stricken from the record and the school had their first dance that year (2007).  I hadn’t heard of the no dancing rule until I went there. 

Footloose!

Share Post

12 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Same for me when I went to college!  They only recently allowed dancing!  

Share Post