Flaked Season One - All Episodes Talk

Maybe because I'm from California and familiar with the vibe of various L.A. enclaves, but this tickled me. I'm only 3 episodes in but am enjoying the aimless and meandering quality of the parody. There are a lot of jokes and references, not huge, but they made me laugh:

Dennis: This girl. It's just that words can't describe her.

Chip: Oh, yeah?

Dennis: Forgive me if I indulge in a little poetry here, but she has the sickest body.

Chip: Dude, I love that book.

I like the direction and camerawork, too.

Share Post

I finished the series and continued to enjoy the show. It takes a turn midway towards being more serious and heartfelt, but I liked watching the evolution of the characters. Some of the plot points were left dangling and it seemed like maybe Arnett is counting on another season.

The critics generally haven't been kind, so my enjoyment may be a UO. The IMDB user rating is 7.3 with the highest average being from women 45+. So, yeah.

Share Post

I watched the entire run in an afternoon and was overall entertained.  It ran a little heavy on the white, middle-class man angst, but not in an annoying way.  I liked the major swerve and I think this show description is definitely "Dramedy".  The cast was great, though I thought they could have done a little better with the London/Claire actress.  She wasn't very compelling to me, but she did fine.  

I had quite a few LOL moments and appreciated that they didn't go overboard with the supporting "characters".  Cooler, the resident stoner wasn't too stoned, George, the hardass cop wasn't too hardass, etc. 

I never saw Will Arnett as a sexy guy, but the scenes when he & London were hanging out in the guest house, lounging on the bed were pretty damn romantic.  He really brought it.  After about the second episode, I stopped expecting the exaggerated gestures and mugging and for him to start doing a Saturday Night Live character. 

I'd definitely like to see the show continue and would absolutely watch new episodes.  And since it was just added to Netflix, I hope more people find it and watch.  It definitely has some areas for improvement, but I enjoyed it. 

Edited by leighdear.

Share Post

The cast was great, though I thought they could have done a little better with the London/Claire actress. She wasn't very compelling to me, but she did fine.  

My only (slight) beef is that her character was set up to be this badass beauty who every man falls for and she just kind of ... wasn't. She was mild and waif-y and missing a personality. I thought Kara was sexier and much more compelling. And of course Will is 45 and both actresses who played his love interests are 15+ years younger. Sigh. At least he and Heather Graham are the same age. I mean, why would those women be interested in Chip, again?

Middle-aged slacker with zero money, no prospects, and ongoing alcohol abuse. Plus, quite the liar and manipulator. I also didn't find it in any way believable that London would fall for the man she thought had killed her brother (even though she was wrong).

The friendship between Chip and Dennis turned out to be the heart of the story, anyway.

Edited by lordonia.

Share Post

My only (slight) beef is that her character was set up to be this badass beauty who every man falls for and she just kind of ... wasn't. She was mild and waif-y and missing a personality. 

Agreed.  An actress with a little more sexiness would have played better.  But, since Venice is shown here as a pretty small community, the fact that she was the "new girl in town" amped up her desirability level.   The assumption being Chip & Dennis already know most of the available girls.  

Kara, I actually can see with Chip a little more easily, even despite their difference in ages.  She's a musician and in recovery, so she's obviously in a creative, yet unstable employment environment and some sort of addict.  I don't know if they mentioned if she was there for drugs or alcohol, but it wouldn't be a stretch to throw some daddy issues in there too!  *LOL*

I don't know if Chip was an actual alcoholic, since Tilly killed the brother.  But taking the rap for her definitely made it necessary for him to live those lies.  

Share Post

I found the actress playing London to be gorgeous and intriguing. I don't know anyone else who feels the same way, though!

There are quite a few things I liked about the show. I liked that it went to places I wasn't expecting it to, I liked the revelation that

London is a fake name, and that she fled to Venice to escape an engagement

. I liked that they acknowledged that Venice has become extremely wealthy, and that it's very difficult for anyone who isn't wealthy to live there. I liked the parallels that they drew between Chip and Dennis - like the way that they live off of others.

But there were quite a few things I didn't like.

I wish the show had been clearer about money. For one thing, I'd like to know how Chip has any. Over and over we were given the impression that his store does no business. I get that he presumably wasn't paying Jerry for rent, and that he lives in Dennis's mother's place, but how does he afford food, clothes, etc.? He hadn't been getting alimony from Tilly, because he hadn't signed the divorce papers yet. Maybe she set up a fund for his expenses?

The way that the residents of Venice

went from being furious about the development project to supporting it just because of Chip's speech was ridiculous to me.

The character of George was incredibly off-putting when he wasn't talking about AA. When he'd pull a gun on people as a joke? Ugh, just go away.

I also found it ridiculous that 

a tech gazillionaire happened to fall into Chip's lap right at the moment he needed him - and that he was willing to hand over $4 million to someone he'd just met. As much as I found London attractive, I can't buy that Topher would spend that much money just to sleep with her.

I was liking where they went with Topher at first - but only at first.

And I have to agree that I can't buy

London falling for the man who she thinks killed her brother.

That was just bizarre.

Edited by Blakeston.

Share Post

I truly can't with this. I gave up on episode 3 when it looked like a show about women with thigh gap falling for a loser with no redeeming qualities. This may as well have been a Cameron Crowe film with how preposterous the female leads were. The spoilers here give me some hope that it got better but I'll never know. Kinda odd that it sounds like they undercut the AA story in the middle.

Share Post

I feel like I'm of a incredibly small minority who not only watched this show, but actually really liked it.  I ended up bingeing it over the weekend, and I wanted more.  The characters were certainly very (very!) flawed, but I ended up caring about what happened to them.  I liked Landon and  yes, thought she was quite beautiful.  I didn't find her acting to be bad.

I am mostly familiar with Will Arnett in comedic roles - mainly Arrested Development -  and so it took me a few episodes to not see him as "GOB."  But once I saw him as Chip, then yeah, damn, he WAS kinda sexy in some of his scenes.  Never thought I'd see him that way. 

Based on negative critical and viewer reviews, it doesn't seem like a Season 2 is likely, but I shall hold out a modicum of hope that there will be one!

Share Post

I just finished ep 3.  I've gone from curiosity to apathy-watching, mainly (as tends to be the case with shows that I watch but don't really like) because I'm a little invested in a minor charactor, i.e., Kara.

Okay.  

At first I thought Will Arnett was the Sniglets guy (I don't know why - that must have been freakin' 30 years ago), then I thought he was from Last Man on Earth (first name Will, right?), then for some reason I thought he was an SNL cast member.  All I can say is that The Millers totally blew and that is apparently all I actually know about who Will Arnett is.  I don't find his character likable, appealing, or engaging.  Even less so his buddy, and Cooler (who I assume is Sean Penn's grandson from Fast Times At Ridgemont High).  And I don't see what all the fuss is about with London.  She brings little to the table in terms of personality or looks.  But I'll tell you this -- I'd do unspeakable things to own Tilly's house. Into which I would move, never be seen by any human form of life again.

Edited by Lone Wolf.

Share Post

This show is basically an excuse for Will Arnett to look incredibly sexy and ride a bike a lot!

I thought Kirstie Alley was hilarious in the Palm Springs episode and she looked great!

My only (slight) beef is that her character was set up to be this badass beauty who every man falls for and she just kind of ... wasn't. She was mild and waif-y and missing a personality.

My Will Arnett crush might be showing but the scene when he first met her, he was drinking her up something fierce! She lived up to her smokeshow status in that first scene because she was wearing like a bathing suit to waitress with side boob and no back---after that she seemed so little and young, kinda mousy.

Share Post

I can't believe this show got a second season! I actually like it but it seemed like I was in a very very small minority on this. 

Share Post

I know, right? I liked it as well, and season 2 was more of the same. For his sake, I'd hope that Chip is able to get his life together but then there wouldn't be a show. I mainly watch for Dennis and Cooler, anyway.

Spoiler

I never saw the supposed great love between Chip and London, plus she was annoying so good riddance to her. Stay gone!

Share Post

I can't believe season 2 was only six episodes! When I got to the sixth episode and Netflix autoplayed a different show when it ended, I thought there was some mistake.

I'm willing to keep watching the show, but I'll admit it - I cannot stand Cooler. I don't find him nearly as funny as other people do, and I find his uselessness incredibly annoying.

Spoiler

And the idea that Alex would want to date him? A gorgeous, well-off woman, who's looking for someone dependable? You can't even depend on brain-dead Cooler to stay awake until he finishes a sentence.

I get that he makes her laugh, but that doesn't mean she'd date him. That seemed just as implausible to me as London wanting to date the guy who she believed killed her brother.

Share Post

There is nothing to commend either Cooler or Chip to any grown woman, but this is fiction so in that respect I can believe it.  ;-)

Edited by Lord Donia.

Share Post

11 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I can't believe season 2 was only six episodes! When I got to the sixth episode and Netflix autoplayed a different show when it ended, I thought there was some mistake.

I'm willing to keep watching the show, but I'll admit it - I cannot stand Cooler. I don't find him nearly as funny as other people do, and I find his uselessness incredibly annoying.

Hide contents

And the idea that Alex would want to date him? A gorgeous, well-off woman, who's looking for someone dependable? You can't even depend on brain-dead Cooler to stay awake until he finishes a sentence.

I get that he makes her laugh, but that doesn't mean she'd date him. That seemed just as implausible to me as London wanting to date the guy who she believed killed her brother.

Yea I like Cooler but fully agree it's doubtful that somebody like Alex would get involved with him. 

However, it's an even bigger stretch of my mind to buy that Georges daughter would be into Dennis. Dennis annoys the crap out of me. 

Im an East Coast girl and have never been to Venice Beach. Is everybody there really a hipster/slacker like the show poetess? 

Share Post

The daughter going back to an off the wagon Dennis was beyond belief. I say this as a man, but the writers must all be male. 

She wants nothing tondonwith George - George shows up for a class, is goofy and disruptive, Rosa is fine with it, perhaps a little charmed. 

Rosa  tells Dennis she hates AA types because of her dad and because they all look out for and cover for each other. Dennis lies to her, tries to insert George into her life out of loyalty to George, falls of the wagon and drunk calls her repeatedly. 

So she turns up on his doorstep. 

I knd kind of like the show but boy is it flawed. 

Share Post

Everyone is always bashing millenials but then you have a show where members of the older generation behave even worse. More childish, bizarre, immature and unbelievable. Unbelievable but realistic, I gotta make that clear.

By now I've probably seen this show a ton of times and still rewatch it. The cast is great, the dry comedy flows really well and the interaction between the characters as it should.

Looking forward to the third season (if there is one).

Share Post