All Episodes Talk: I Just Had a BRILLIANT Idea!

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I wish TV Land would bring back the uncut episodes that had the original stick figure openings restored.  The satin heart opening has become synonymous with the show, but it was nice seeing the original opening and this show is too much of a classic to be diced up. 

Edited by SilverStormm. Reason: Added AET offical blurb.

Share Post

The basic DNA of all TV pretty much leads back to this show.  And it's always amazing to me how well the episodes hold up.  Shows made 40 years later haven't aged 1/10th as well.

Share Post

Oh yeah the TV Land edits are terrible. When I bought all the seasons on DVD I was surprised at how much extra footage there was that I had never seen before. The DVDs are extremely cheap to purchase. You can buy them on Amazon for around $13 each or at Target, FYE, etc. for $10 each (but they may only have certain seasons). I definitely recommend purchasing the DVDs, you also get lots of extras and of course can watch any episode whenever you want.

Share Post

The Bluray sets will have the original (stick figure) openings rather than the syndicated (heart on satin) openings. I hope to get the blurays someday but $74 for season 1 is too steep considering I already have the DVDs.

Edited by discorules.

Share Post

I have the complete ILL series on DVD, it was given to me as a gift.  One of my all time best gifts received!  Hallmark channel chops the show up as well.  Wish they would just leave the entire show in tact.  We miss so much.

Share Post

I have all the DVDs too including the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" ones.  One of the bonuses which I love are the radio broadcasts of "My Favorite Husband" which Lucille starred in and which kind of became a starting point for "I Love Lucy."  Many of the stories eventually were used for "I Love Lucy."  

Share Post

The Bluray sets will have the original (stick figure) openings rather than the syndicated (heart on satin) openings.

You know, I'd never seen those before, but YouTube has at least one of them:

You can see why at least this one wouldn't make its way to syndication, being about little boys selling cigarettes.

Share Post

Doesn't TV Land air the original openings? If not, you can definitely find them on the DVD releases and even set the disc so that you can choose between the heart on satin opening or the original openings.

Share Post

I love the original openings because that's how they were originally broadcast. I love it when on my classic TV DVDs sets they include original openings with the sponsor's products announced. However, it's funny that since I was "introduced" to Lucy for years with the heart on satin opening, that always seemed like the "original" to me and it took me awhile to come to love the stick figure openings.

Share Post

Yeah I felt the same way! I always knew just the heart on stain openings so when I found out there were different openings originally, it took some getting used to. It's really weird seeing the commercials for cigarettes, old Ford cars, and Instant Sanka coffee. Feels like I'm living in 1957 or something lol

Share Post

Well even weirder than the stick figures and products is (at least in the one I embed earlier) some guy coming on screen puffing away like a chimney and talking us into the first scene of the show. 

Share Post

I know there are some classic episodes  but my all time favorite  is  "The Operetta"    The staging, those songs, the attempts of drowning out of Lucy, it just showcased the incredible talent of the cast and the writers.

Favorite lyric   "Of the quiet peaceful valley over there..."  then the hand gesture.

Share Post

The Operetta is awesome.  "MY Song"   "I like to sing and dancealot"   "Drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, driiiiiinnk."

Share Post

I read somewhere, maybe in an interview with Lucie Arnaz, that The Operetta was Lucy's favorite episode. I love 'em all but I've always had a soft spot for The Courtroom and the one where Lucy bites into the wax fruit at the Littlefields (Lucy's Schedule?). Lucy's reaction when she realizes her teeth are stuck is sheer perfection! The ILL I probably like least is Lucy Meets Orson Welles. I don't find Act II where he's reciting Shakespeare entertaining at all.

Edited by discorules.

Share Post

One of my favorites is the one where Lucy buys hostess pants for Fred to give to Ethel for her birthday.  Better known as "the checkerboard britches."  

Share Post

"I did not call her a hippopotomus!  I just implied that she was a little "hippi"

Share Post

I don't think a single day of my childhood went by without an episode of this show.  My mom was a major fan. (For a while, we had fish named Unique and Euphonious.) And my grandmother watched the show back on first run.  I've got kids of my own now, and it's nice to be able to share a show with multiple generations of a family and everyone can still laugh at it.

We had the whole series when it came out on VHS, and I remember thinking it was strange to see the opening heart tinted red like that.  Nowadays I like the stick-figure openings, though.

All the comments about The Operetta make me smile - it's one of my favorites, too. 

I also like the one with "Blood-Curdling Indian Tales" and the Martian one, in both cases mainly because of the way Lucy screams when she's scared.  I've never seen anyone scream more realistically in a comedy.  There's a moment where she's saying "My baby, my baby!" during the screaming that absolutely felt like she meant it.  LB really threw her heart into that character.  

Share Post

Hello, fellow Lucy-ites!  My favorite episodes tend to vary a lot, then come back around to the same ones.  Right now I think my number one would be "Lucy's Italian's Movie."  It's just so well structured, start to finish, has very sharp and funny dialogue, and incorporates a classic bit very organically into the story (something other eps with classic shtick didn't do as well).

Too bad there was SO much editing when CBS showed the colorized version along with the Christmas show.

"Ingrid Bergman it ain't!"

"Bring me a large pizza."

PS Also love "The Operetta."  Ethel switching from operatic ingenue to brassy belter always cracks me up.

Edited by Charlie Baker.

Share Post

I really like "Little Ricky's School Pageant" episode.  Ricky the tree, Lucy the witch, Fred a frog and Ethel as the fairy princess.  Lucy thinks Little Ricky is natural and he cannot even remember to nod his head.  Love Ricky's reaction when Ethel starts to sing.

Share Post

Well as you can see, I have a real soft spot for "Fan Magazine Interview".  Kathryn Card just cracks me up in this episode every time!  The fact that she plays Mrs. McGillicuddy so differently and looks like a completely different woman is still amazing to me after all these years.

"Do I know...uh..do I know him?  I'll say I do...he's MAD about me!"

"Oh boy when I kiss 'em...they stay kissed!"

Share Post

You're so right about Kathryn Card, Minnie Finch. Also love that Elvia Allman, who plays one of Minnie's neighbors, also turns up at the candy factory and as the reporter Nancy Graham who convinces Lucy she must devote herself completely to Ricky's happiness since he's going to be a movie star and "belongs to the world."

And I think the actress who plays Minnie's other neighbor (don't know her name and am ashamedly too lazy to look it up) also played the cleaning woman at the Tropicana for whom Ricky performs his straw hat number.

Then of course there was Elizabeth Patterson, who was Mrs. Trunbull, but also the wife of the justice of the peace in the elopement episode.

They had a real rep company of character people, but so did a lot of TV shows.

Edited by Charlie Baker.

Share Post

I think that the most completely hysterical episode was when the goup makes it to California and Lucy and the Mertzes go star hunting at The Brown Derby.  The Brown Derby segment, flawless, and then the back end of fhe episode with the fake nose. just perfect timing. Holden was such sport to do this and he was really funny too.

Share Post

The Brown Derby is my second favorite. So relatable. Lucy eating the spaghetti and Ethel cutting it with scissors. Priceless.

My favorite is when Lucy tells Ricky she's expecting. The scene at the end when they are both crying is so touching. The real Lucy and Desi.

Share Post

One of my favorite episodes is Lucy's Night in Town. I also like Lucy Gets Ricky on the Radio. When she's trying to kick the ball of paper with the answers on it out the door by shuffling her feet- hilarious. Also love The Million Dollar Idea, The Business Manager, The Diner, and The Girls Go Into Business. All the Hollywood and Europe episodes are great too.

Share Post

I also think Verna Felton is hysterical in Lucy Hires A Maid.

I love the exchange that goes something like this.

Mrs. Porter: I'm Mrs Porter.

Lucy: And what do I call you?

Mrs Porter: Mrs Porter.

And when she  says to Lucy: And if I hadn't eaten the salad I would've STARVED to death!

Lucy with the peanut butter sandwich is also a hoot.

Ms Felton was also terrific in Sales Resistance when Lucy tries to sell her the vacuum cleaner!

Share Post

One of my favorites is the one where Lucy buys hostess pants for Fred to give to Ethel for her birthday.  Better known as "the checkerboard britches."  

"I wanted a TOASTER!"     I say this when I am distressed and not getting my way, even if it's not about a toaster. Lol. Yeah, dorky.

Thanks to my mom, I watched the reruns growing up and have purchased VHSs back in the day, and DVDs currently.  There are so many great moments and I still quote from it with my mom. (I'm 47 and she will be 70). We have quite this type of humor ourselves so we have a grand time remembering and discussing the show. I love that it's still on the telly and I usually will stop to watch it if I am lazily flipping channels.

Share Post

I think that the most completely hysterical episode was when the goup makes it to California and Lucy and the Mertzes go star hunting at The Brown Derby.  The Brown Derby segment, flawless, and then the back end of fhe episode with the fake nose. just perfect timing. Holden was such sport to do this and he was really funny too.

It's sort of OOT, but I absolutely lovelovelove Holden's reaction to Lucy's nose catching alight. Makes me laugh Every.Time.  And Lucy's 'scissor-cutting' gesture to Ethel.  Man, now I want pasta.

"Paging Ava Gardner.'  Fred: 'Where?! Where?!" ...."She might be 'people' but she's NOT like you and me!"

Share Post

Has anybody ever watched the hour-long episodes? I just got through watching them all yesterday. Some are good, some are eh. I feel like many time the story dragged on too long to fill the hour-long slot.

Share Post

I saw them a couple of years ago, BogoGog24.  I wasn't really a fan of them.  I love the half-hour episodes, but the hour-long ones don't have the same zing.  They have some isolated good moments, but it seemed like Ms. Ball's heart wasn't in it anymore.  

Share Post

Lucy and Desi's marriage was pretty much over by the time the hourlong shows were made.    

Share Post

I loved all the episodes mentioned but one of my favorites was when Ethel went back to Albuquerque and sang "Mama's Little Baby Loves Shortnin Bread" all while Fred and Ricky are cutting up in the background, bringing bigger and bigger potted plants. By the time Fred comes out with the gigantic one I'm practically crying. 

Share Post

One of my favorite episodes is the one about Lucy not being able to go 24 hours without telling a lie. Most of the episode is hilarious, but the last scene is not up to par (Lucy & the carnival knife-thrower). I remember reading once that the reason for the lack of flow is that the original (different) ending had to be rewritten in a hurry, but I can't remember the reason. Anyone?

Edited by Gemma Violet.

Share Post

Badger, on 14 Apr 2014 - 9:16 PM, said:

Lucy and Desi's marriage was pretty much over by the time the hourlong shows were made.    

ElleryAnne, on 14 Apr 2014 - 4:44 PM, said:

I saw them a couple of years ago, BogoGog24.  I wasn't really a fan of them.  I love the half-hour episodes, but the hour-long ones don't have the same zing.  They have some isolated good moments, but it seemed like Ms. Ball's heart wasn't in it anymore.  

I had never seen the 1 hour long special episodes until a few years ago. A couple of them were interesting, but they definitely had a different feel to them. Most were meh, but one made me emotionally upset. I'm not sure of the episode name. It might be His Girl Friday or something like that. Lucy gets a job working for some guy and becomes the female side-kick on a television show. She suddenly has a job that takes her away from home, away from her son, away from her friends, and especially away from Ricky.

She "hires" Ethel to take care of little Ricky and her home. Lucy hardly sees her son anymore and Ethel is his "new mother", Lucy says. As an episode, that was a very real subject to bring to the camera at that time. We didn't see those "real life" subjects much back then. It was true about Lucy's personal life as well since she was working so much she had to have a nanny to take care of her children. I have seen a few videos and photos of their family having a good time at their home in the pool and vacations. But, it makes me wonder how much of that was for show or did she have a close family when her children were growing up.

Lucy's at work so much she never sees hubby Ricky anymore. The scene where they meet in the train station to talk for a few minutes makes me cry. Lucy and Desi were probably divorced at that time so it was like watching them meet again estranged but are polite to each other. It's a reminder that what they had was gone. That scene is so emotional and I cried so hard. I SO wanted them to get back together in real life and remarry. Of course, I remembered that they've all been dead for a long time now. It's just that I loved them on IIL so much that I wanted them to have that happily ever after together. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that. But, we know that they never got back together as husband and wife. They were good friends though and still cared about each other.

I KNEW I'd get emotional talking about this. Their sitcom always puts me in a good mood or I at least feel better for having watched. The hour long shows reminded me of what was gone and made me cry. I will probably never watch those hour long shows again. I'll always watch I Love Lucy though.

Edited by SunShine Gal.

Share Post

Gemma Violet -- if I recall correctly, it had to do with Ricky falsifying something (probably minor) to the IRS, and Desi didn't want Ricky to lose any integrity, thought better of it, so he insisted it be changed.  And he was the executive producer, after all.

That episode is a favorite of mine, too, underrated to be sure.

"She really told him, huh, Tightwad?"

"You said it, Tacky!"

Share Post

Sunshine Gal, I believe they filed for divorce after they finished the Ernie Kovacs episode which was the very last one they filmed.  

Share Post

Just curious if anyone bought the season 1 bluray set. Anything new not on the DVD set?

Share Post

Gemma Violet -- if I recall correctly, it had to do with Ricky falsifying something (probably minor) to the IRS, and Desi didn't want Ricky to lose any integrity, thought better of it, so he insisted it be changed.  And he was the executive producer, after all.

Thanks, Charlie Baker.  That sounds familiar, now that you say it.  

Edited by Gemma Violet.

Share Post

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, small talk, etc.

Share Post

I did not purchase the bluray set- it's $60 on Amazon. The picture is much clearer, according to reviews, but other than that I don't see what's worth buying about it. It may include a couple features not included on the original release, but I would have to read the reviews more carefully to find that out. Either way, $60 for one set doesn't seem at all worth it, even if the picture quality is better.

Share Post

I just saw the job switching episode.  One of my all-time favorite lines is from that episode when Ricky asks Fred, "What do you know about rice?"  and Fred responds, "Well, I had it thrown at me on one of the darkest days of my life."  

Share Post

I love to watch the episodes on Hallmark in the morning as I am getting ready for work (or accurately laying in bed forcing myself to get up!) and this saturday morning I caught the "Carlata Romero" episode- Ricky makes up an old flame Carlata to make Lucy jealous, but it turns out that he did know a woman by that name many years ago in Cuba, she comes to NYC to visit and she is older and has put on weight and all of a sudden Lucy's jealousies disappear. It IS a funny moment in the show, but I am sure Lucille, in her long marriage to Desi who cheated consistently probably knew that relative attractiveness doesn't mean a husband who wants to cheat won't cheat. The most beautiful women in the world are cheated on with random women all the time. I do often think how Lucille felt that they were always putting Lucy in these positions questioning Ricky's fidelity. 

Share Post

My favorite episode is "Lucy's Italian Movie". (as everyone who knew me on TWoP knows all too well!). I acknowledge that big chunks of the setup don't make much sense, but the vineyard sequences alone (and the tag scene of her returning to the hotel) will always have a very special place in my heart.

Share Post

I recall watching a special about Lucy and Desi years ago where someone mentioned how during the filming of The Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour episode where they visit Japan, things between Lucy and Desi were at the end and the makeup artist had to keep reapplying white face paint to Lucy in her geisha girl costume because she kept crying so much. I had seen that particular episode a few times, but ever since then I cannot bring myself to watch it after knowing that little information.

Share Post

The Hollywood episodes played over the weekend.  I never did figure out how the Mertz's hotel room was paid for.  Would Ricky's studio pay for several weeks of hotel fees for Ricky's friends?  I think not.  Such a big to do about Fred not wanting to pay for transportation to and from NY, and yet nothing was ever said about the hotel.  

Edited by Gemma Violet.

Share Post

I've also wondered all these years about the Mertz's room.  What could the price have been in 1954?  That was a classy hotel.  Maybe $50 a night is the same as $400 a night now.

Share Post

I cannot get enough of this show.  I do LOVE Lucy!  LOL  Connecticut and Europe are not my favorite episodes though.  I love the original apartment, the move to the bigger apartment, and even California.  Love Pioneer Women, Lucy Is Enciente, and Youn Fans...keep jiggling Peggy, keep jiggling!!

Share Post