Major Crimes in the Media

TNT is ruining the show, that's all there is to it. They want the show to be canceled because it isn't "trendy" with the critics who try to dictate what TV shows are to be watched and what agenda they have. So they are taking the show away from what's it's supposed to be and making it all about serialized cases and cheap melodrama. I'm disgusted to see what they've done to the show. One or 2 multi part episodes a season isn't bad, but having the whole season be multi part episodes is a joke. I usually don't enjoy the multi parters as much as the regular episodes because they get very confusing and hard to follow, and I'm not happy about having all multi part episodes, it's totally changing the show. The ratings will drop, fans will not like the new style and the show will get canceled, which is what TNT wants. I really hate what they are doing to the show. 

Share Post

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

an expensive show with low ratings

I thought it did well in the ratings, for cable.  I'm not sure how it stacks up just based on live viewing, but with the live+3 and live+7 delayed viewing factored in (which the network claims it does), it performs well.  I know the season finale won the night on cable (as part one the week before had, too), and was the second-most watched show on cable for the week, behind only The Walking Dead.  I can't remember the specifics from any of the previous week's ratings reports, but my general impression was that the ratings initially dropped with the new timeslot, but picked back up fairly quickly and steadily increased.  I think they were ultimately doing better on Wednesdays than they had been on Mondays.  Oh, and I know they picked up viewers in the key demographics. 

So it irks me that TNT is trying to change it.

Share Post

On 8/10/2017 at 0:41 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, that was what my shred of hope was based upon too. But the cynic in me fears TPTB ordered the long arcs in hopes of killing off an expensive show with low ratings while keeping their image clean when they order the cancellation. I mean, canceling an established show starring the likes of Mary McDonnell and G. W. Bailey that way is kind of equivalent to accidentally-on-purpose shooting Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer as an excuse for canceling Thanksgiving and Christmas.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:57 AM, CheshireCat said:

I certainly am not positive when it comes to TPTB and shows I like and I sure don't trust TPTB but I don't think that any network or cable station would renew a show and spend millions and millions of dollars just to kill it off if they wanted the show gone. If they want it gone, they'll cancel it but renewal usually means that they're still making money off of it.

As far as the new format is concerned, I have no idea what their motivation might be. I'm actually not that opposed to it. I do like serialized shows, although my favorite is the serialized-procedural mix some shows use. I like when there are a few threads that are explored throughout a season and many episodes are dedicated to adding a piece to the puzzle while they could stand alone, too.

It's quite possible that there are some network execs that want it gone. Not because it's expensive or low rated (the ratings are actually quite good) but because it doesn't fit the "brand" they want and it's not trendy. It's obvious that the "creative" types at TNT want heavily serialized high concept shows that skew young and they probably would be happy to be rid of this series. From what I can tell money and ratings are what is keeping it on the air. Even though it doesn't skew young it still gets good ratings in the demo and re-runs well so those at the very top who are evaluated and paid based on profit keep it on the air. And I agree that we don't know what motivation is behind the changes - it could be network pressure, it could be the producers chasing trends, it could be something that they actually feel is the best way to go.

Share Post

We don't seem to have (or need?) a scheduling thread, so:

At least here in the northern reaches of Chicagoland on the over-the -air station, The CW (formerly My50 Chicago and still on channel 50), starting this Saturday, we too will have 2 consecutive episosdes of Major Crimes instead of just  one each Saturday, skipping every other episode. They will air from 9-11pm Central Time, so I will need a 20 minute nap sometime before then, unless I want to use the show as a sedative, heh.

Share Post

Speaking of syndication scheduling, heads up for those who watch in Los Angeles -- starting this Saturday, the show is going to be airing at 7:00 and 8:00, rather than 6:00 and 7:00.  (Which means only one episode of Rizzoli & Isles per week instead of two.)

I'm glad I stumbled across that bit of info!  I'll be leaving for the evening around 7:00, which I thought was perfect as I could watch Sweet Revenge (one of my favorite episodes, for Mary McDonnell's spectacular performance) at 6:00 and then go.  But it will air at 7:00 instead, and now I must record, because I can't pass up an opportunity to watch it again.

Share Post

An expanded promo, with Rusty learning to shoot a gun (I've always had a mild curiosity as to whether they'd ever write him as raising the issue, and how they'd handle it - let's just say cop shows and I are generally on different pages, but I do a lot better with this one, so we'll see):

Share Post

19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

An expanded promo, with Rusty learning to shoot a gun (I've always had a mild curiosity as to whether they'd ever write him as raising the issue, and how they'd handle it - let's just say cop shows and I are generally on different pages, but I do a lot better with this one, so we'll see):

Spoiler

Since they are bringing back Stroh, maybe it makes sense?
Personally, I don't think I'd want to learn how to shoot one way or another but maybe it makes Rusty feel safer?

Share Post

Oh, I have no doubt that's the context - I think even without any more to go on, we can safely take that as a given - and that's the context in which I've previously half-expected it to show up.  So now that it finally is, all that's left for me to wonder about is how they'll frame it.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

I'm sad, but unsurprised Major Crimes to End After Season 6

“The whole company of Major Crimes is dedicated to making [this] the best season yet,” says series creator James Duff. “We will finish our long run on TNT with a finale worthy of our loyal viewers and their years of unstinting support.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Percysowner said:

I'm sad, but unsurprised

Same here.  TNT sucks; why not wait to see what the ratings are for the new serialized format they mandated and then make a decision?  If they were going to just cancel it anyway, why not let Duff do the final 13 episodes the way he'd always done?

And this really fucking sucks:  they got the announcement as they were getting ready to film what will now be the series finale.  Major Crimes is TNT's number one series - it debuted as the most-watched scripted cable series premiere of that year, has ranked in the top five most-watched scripted cable series of the year for each of its five seasons, was TNT’s highest-rated series for each of the past three seasons, and last year ranked as the 2nd most watched cable series (behind only The Walking Dead) - and they should have been given notice to write something known and intended to be a series finale.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

From James Duff's Facebook:

I'm directing the finale of Major Crimes, so I can't really answer all the questions that are being asked today about why Major Crimes was cancelled before we ran our sixth season. But I do want you to know that it was not at all my idea, nor did I want to leave the show. The actors, the writers, the producers and our talented crew would have held on as long as we were relevant. I am extraordinarily thankful to our viewers, who followed us to four different time slots in the last eighteen months, and who make up a very large part of what we call the community of the show. Without the loyalty of our audience, Major Crimes would have been gone much sooner. We'll have a chance to talk about what happened in the near future. Meanwhile, we are determined to give you the best season we can. So sorry I couldn't stop this moment from happening.

From MajorCrimesTV.net (the fan site endorsed by the producers, cast, etc.):

Despite strong ratings and a devoted following, Major Crimes had been on borrowed time at the network since new TNT network head Kevin Reilly took over in November of 2014. A holdover and product of previous chief Michael Wright’s focus on more light-hearted procedurals, Reilly made no secret of the fact that he wanted to rebrand the network away from its core viewer base, and into darker, edgier programming to attract younger viewers. Despite this focus, Reilly’s new slate has had a hard time finding its footing, with Major Crimes outperforming all three of his current new series (Animal Kingdom, Claws and Good Behavior) by more than 70% in total viewers. A fourth series, the high-budget, high-concept, much-hyped Will, was cancelled during its freshman run, after bringing in only 380,000 viewers to its first season, compared to the 3.2 million from season five of Major Crimes. 

While Major Crimes made great pains to adjust to new marching orders, adapting both its tone and structure to fit the new Reilly regime, ultimately those changes, and its ability to retain a vast majority of its audience despite multiple scheduling shakeups and extremely poor promotion on the part of the network, were not enough to ensure a seventh season pickup.

Share Post

59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

From MajorCrimesTV.net (the fan site endorsed by the producers, cast, etc.):

So the new ego in charge deemed a show that has a loyal and substantial viewership has to go while his late-to-the-party "darker, edgier" shows  have already flopped on their faces because dark and edgy has been getting recycled for the past 20 years and it's tired as hell.  Besides, as the world gets uglier, people tend to want lighter entertainment (have you ever heard of the great depression, Mr. Reilly?)   On top of that, the audience for shows like MC is an enormous target for advertisers.  But hey, Reilly, look at it this way: when you eventually get bounced from TNT - and you will - you'll be able to take credit for at least FOUR big failures and even MORE impressive, turning a successful and well-liked show into dust.   Way to go.

Share Post

More coverage of TNT's stupidity:

http://tvline.com/2017/10/03/major-crimes-cancelled-final-season-7-tnt/

http://deadline.com/2017/10/major-crimes-to-end-after-season-6-tnt-1202181220/

This is really reminding me of Law & Order. Despite solid ratings, making tons of money for them over the years, and a loyal fanbase they are going to cancel them without a proper series finale because they want to chase prestige and trendiness. And probably fail miserably at it too. At least the show is in good company I guess?

Share Post

29 minutes ago, jrlr said:

So the new ego in charge deemed a show that has a loyal and substantial viewership has to go while his late-to-the-party "darker, edgier" shows  have already flopped on their faces because dark and edgy has been getting recycled for the past 20 years and it's tired as hell.  Besides, as the world gets uglier, people tend to want lighter entertainment (have you ever heard of the great depression, Mr. Reilly?)   On top of that, the audience for shows like MC is an enormous target for advertisers.  But hey, Reilly, look at it this way: when you eventually get bounced from TNT - and you will - you'll be able to take credit for at least FOUR big failures and even MORE impressive, turning a successful and well-liked show into dust.   Way to go.

26 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Despite solid ratings, making tons of money for them over the years, and a loyal fanbase they are going to cancel them without a proper series finale because they want to chase prestige and trendiness. And probably fail miserably at it too. At least the show is in good company I guess?

Yep.  Mary McDonnell said, “Trying to make sense of TNT’s choices is an activity James Duff, Mike Robin, and all of us have been engaged in for a long time.”

I was always going to miss this show when it was canceled; it has been really nice spending time with a bunch of characters who are everyday heroes, rather than anti-heroes.  (This year, it has been such a pleasant distraction to me, I feel like my security blanket is being taken away.)  But if it had slowly been losing viewers, as was thus told it was time to wrap things up, bummed is all I would have been, and I'd pretty quickly shift to thinking about what a great run it had.  That it has instead been canceled in such an illogical, sudden way makes me angry.

Share Post

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same here.  TNT sucks; why not wait to see what the ratings are for the new serialized format they mandated and then make a decision?  If they were going to just cancel it anyway, why not let Duff do the final 13 episodes the way he'd always done?

Maybe contracts are up and someone or some of them have already said that they won't renew their contracts? Or contracts are up and TNT decided that it was too expensive to renew? Announcing it beforehand sounds like it's a BTS thing rather than a ratings thing.

Share Post

Contracts are usually for seven years.  All indications are this is about TNT wanting its programming line-up to continue to move in the direction it has over the past several years - despite the fact Major Crimes was bringing in better ratings than those shows.  No doubt this show is expensive to produce, but the network seems to have been getting its money's worth.  The writing has been on the wall for a while, but because of an overall network vision of its "brand" rather than due to finances or ratings.

It seems it would have been a better business decision to keep the show that was bringing in the most viewers while trying to build an audience for the other shows, which I think is the source of Duff's and the actors' ongoing frustration that has now come to a head -- TNT made several decisions that didn't make sense based on the usual metrics, and now it has canceled the show in the same way.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Contracts are usually for seven years. 

I've heard both, six and seven years.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

All indications are this is about TNT wanting its programming line-up to continue to move in the direction it has over the past several years - despite the fact Major Crimes was bringing in better ratings than those shows.  No doubt this show is expensive to produce, but the network seems to have been getting its money's worth.  The writing has been on the wall for a while, but because of an overall network vision of its "brand" rather than due to finances or ratings.

It seems it would have been a better business decision to keep the show that was bringing in the most viewers while trying to build an audience for the other shows, which I think is the source of Duff's and the actors' ongoing frustration that has now come to a head -- TNT made several decisions that didn't make sense based on the usual metrics, and now it has canceled the show in the same way.

Agreed on the points you make!

It's a weird decision/weird time to announce, too. It seems completely random. The show has given the network good ratings, so an announcement after they've seen the new ratings would have made more sense. Or if they had announced it right after S6 renewal. But less than a month before the new season starts? Weird.

Share Post

4 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I've heard both, six and seven years.

I hadn't heard of six year contracts, but it would make sense in this case, since it's always about the money. If all their new shows are floundering, there probably isn't money to renew six-year contracts. Of course, by not renewing their one successful show, they're likely signing the network's death certificate. I see similar decisions on the looming horizon at my very different place of work.

Share Post

One thing that sticks out in the coverage is that TNT doesn't seem to have bothered to spin this as anything other than the new execs won their pissing contest.  No leaks about "preliminary discussions" suggesting that they wanted too much money to renew, no suggestion that even though ratings were stable, certain key metrics were starting to decline, and no attempt to soften by talking about how it really is a great finale so it's a creative choice as well to end it at a perfect moment. Not even a generic quote that they had tons of great pilots that better fit with the new direction and decided to go with them instead of another season. Plus the timing aspect as has already been mentioned. It's a bit baffling from a a basic PR standpoint.

Regarding the talk of contracts I haven't seen anything reported and would love to see if anyone finds anything. The seven year contract is standard for network television so it doesn't really mean anything given that this is cable and an extension/spinoff of another series. Also that is just the initial term on standard contract for a new show. The renewal isn't for another six or seven years, it's for a shorter term based on what both sides will agree to. For instance The Big Bang Theory cast signed a two year extension last year.

Edited by wknt3.

Share Post

6 hours ago, wknt3 said:

One thing that sticks out in the coverage is that TNT doesn't seem to have bothered to spin this as anything other than the new execs won their pissing contest.  No leaks about "preliminary discussions" suggesting that they wanted too much money to renew, no suggestion that even though ratings were stable, certain key metrics were starting to decline, and no attempt to soften by talking about how it really is a great finale so it's a creative choice as well to end it at a perfect moment. Not even a generic quote that they had tons of great pilots that better fit with the new direction and decided to go with them instead of another season. Plus the timing aspect as has already been mentioned. It's a bit baffling from a a basic PR standpoint.

It truly is.  I've been thinking about this more than I should, because with all the very real shit going on in this country and beyond, the fact the TV show I use to temporarily escape from all that has been canceled shouldn't be occupying my thoughts, but the way it happened just baffles me.  TNT hasn't put anything out there to counter the producers' and actors' narrative that they did everything asked of them and wanted to keep the show going (or the fan commentary for a couple of seasons now that the network wasn't supporting its number one show, and at times seemed to be trying to sabotage it).  To cancel your number one show before its season even starts, announce it as the cast is heading to set to film what will now be the series finale, and with no indication increased expense (the first thing one thinks of as a reason when ratings are ruled out) is an issue is odd enough, but to do so without any spin away from the inevitable "okay, so this new guy is not very good at his job" conclusion is more so.

6 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Regarding the talk of contracts I haven't seen anything reported and would love to see if anyone finds anything. The seven year contract is standard for network television so it doesn't really mean anything given that this is cable and an extension/spinoff of another series.

It would be extremely unusual for their contracts from The Closer to carry over to Major Crimes.  Mary McDonnell would certainly have a new one, since she was a recurring guest star on the former and lead actor on this one, but under standard procedure everyone else would have had a new one too -- same production company and character, yes, but their contracts were to work on The Closer for X years or until it went off the air, whichever came first.  It went off the air (at the same time seven years was up, incidentally), so the contract was done, and they'd negotiate new ones for Major Crimes

Now, the fact it's cable rather than network may mean X doesn't equal seven like it normally does; although I know Sci-Fi used the standard seven-year contract for Battlestar Galactica, I haven't otherwise paid attention.  But the fact Kyra Sedgwick's, "when my contract is up, I'm done [and thus the show is done]" notice on The Closer meant season seven is an indication TNT follows that procedure.

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

Well, this fucking sucks. TNT is so fucking stupid to cancel a show that is high quality, gets good ratings and has a loyal fanbase just because they want to be "trendy" with the goddamn TV critics, who are nothing more than moron shills who decide whether they like a show or not based on how dark and edgy it is. Well guess what, not everyone wants there TV shows to either be depressing crap about criminal scum or political propaganda, there is enough of that shit in real life. Major Crimes was a very entertaining and well written show and TNT is giving it a raw deal because it isn't trendy enough. To make it worse, we won't even get a normal final season of Major Crimes, we will get 3 multi part episodes which have never been my favorite, they get confusing and tend to drag. TNT set the show up to have a bad final season so they would have an excuse to cancel it. It reminds me a lot of what happened to the original L&O, which remains my favorite show of all time, it had great quality, good ratings and a loyal fanbase but the idiots at NBC decided it wasn't trendy enough so they canceled it, and they've regretted it ever since. I hope the same happens to TNT. 

Share Post

10 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Well, this fucking sucks. TNT is so fucking stupid to cancel a show that is high quality, gets good ratings and has a loyal fanbase just because they want to be "trendy" with the goddamn TV critics, who are nothing more than moron shills who decide whether they like a show or not based on how dark and edgy it is. Well guess what, not everyone wants there TV shows to either be depressing crap about criminal scum or political propaganda, there is enough of that shit in real life.

This x infinitely!

I'm so tired of showrunners who believe everything has to be about drama, drama, drama. No, it doesn't. People can be happy and there actually are happy people in this world who have stable relationships and fun and who enjoy life and who have happy endings. It's part of why I loved Major Crimes because it's one of the rare shows of which I could be sure that wouldn't put their main characters through the emtional ringer and break up couples just for the heck of it because every show does it. I could be happy for Provenza and Patrice and get invested in Andy and Sharon without having to fear that they'll find some nonsense reason to break them up because drama. And I loved that! All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the ride/episode (and grumble over a lack of Sharon and Andy on occasion but I'd happily grumble a season or two longer if that means more episodes ;-))

Share Post

I share your anger, @Xeliou66.  That this show can explore the worst of a major city's crimes, and be realistic about it, yet still be comfort television is quite a feat.  It features typically flawed yet fundamentally good people, who have some bumps along the way but usually work well together, who make mistakes and who are sometimes tempted to or even do cross the line but ultimately remain committed to the justice part of the criminal justice system, who experience the personal difficulties that plague everyone but generally deal with them as the adults they are ... as I always say, heroes (and everyday heroes, not superheroes) rather than anti-heroes. 

(And, seriously, to be a cop show that this civil rights lawyer loves?  They're doing something pretty incredible.)

There's plenty of room on the television landscape for both, and I've liked some  shows that revolve around ethically dubious characters, but to dismiss and cancel a show for not being dark and edgy enough, despite it bringing in more viewers (and more devoted viewers) than those darker/edgier shows, is just stupid.  Especially in these times, when reality is so horribly disheartening, and people cling to entertainment that makes them think integrity and compassion can emerge victorious.  This could have easily gone on for a full sixth season, and a seventh.  If finances meant that's as far as it went, fine, but make the decision on that basis and let them know in advance.  Fuckwits.

Share Post

Dammit!  As I first started scrolling through the posts, I was initially thinking, well at least they'll get to build to a series finale.  But, no!  They were actually just starting to film the finale, so, just no respect on the way out.

I had mentioned doing the network's season ending survey last year, and almost all of the questions were about branding...how did this show fit with the network brand, blah, blah, blah. Given that I don't watch the other shows, I had no response to the brand questions, other than I wanted quality like this show. 

I guess with this show gone, the new guy in charge doesn't have it slapped in his face every week that all of his new shows are doing worse than one from his predecessor.  Methinks that played a bigger role here in the cancellation than said poohbah would ever admit.

Well, hell.  I knew the end was coming (I think I was hoping for 7 to match The Closer) but this still remains very disappointing. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, pennben said:

Dammit!  As I first started scrolling through the posts, I was initially thinking, well at least they'll get to build to a series finale.  But, no!  They were actually just starting to film the finale, so, just no respect on the way out.

I guess with this show gone, the new guy in charge doesn't have it slapped in his face every week that all of his new shows are doing worse than one from his predecessor.  Methinks that played a bigger role here in the cancellation than said poohbah would ever admit.

Well, hell.  I knew the end was coming (I think I was hoping for 7 to match The Closer) but this still remains very disappointing. 

My biggest disappointment, after the cancellation itself, is that they didn't tell the producers that this would be the final season when it was renewed, so that they could craft a proper ending. I think people were pretty sure it was coming, so I don't expect any cliff hangers, but knowing they had time to write and carefully plan a final season would have made me feel much better.

I too would have liked for them to have had 7 seasons or at least the same number of episodes as The Closer, but they decided to not be kind to the viewers

I do agree that the head honchos were tired of having a show that they didn't create and that didn't fit whatever edgy brand they are going for continue to get higher ratings then their new darlings. They tried to tank the ratings when they moved the time slot and that was only partly successful. Ratings did drop last season, but the show still was in the top 4 for ratings for TNT. This is a sad situation all around.

Share Post

I just listened to the opening segment of the latest What Would Sharon Raydor Do? podcast, and here's what Mary McDonnell had to say about the cancellation:

It’s always a shock to the system when the show you're on is canceled, because you get so attached to the characters, the actors, etc. and then it’s taken away, but the decision was not a total shock because they had a pretty good inkling it was coming at some point.  She appreciates the outrage and frustration fans are expressing, as it would indeed seem to defy logic that any network would cancel a show that’s performing so well for them.  But they've seen it coming.  Different people coming in at different times to change the course of a network happens all the time, and they saw themselves being disenfranchised by TNT’s current leadership – the writing was on the wall from the beginning.

Any network head has the prerogative, and in fact duty, to create whatever vision they have, and they've known they weren’t a match with the vision of where TNT was going.  The timeslot change was a big signal something was about to change.  And her contract is up, and renewal discussions were not happening, so that was obviously a huge indication the network had no intention of carrying on.  James Duff and Mike Robin have been steadfast in trying to figure out how to keep the show going, but they can’t ignore what’s in front of them, so James crafted these 13 episodes with a depth and texture that incorporates the very real possibility they would be the last.  So, had the possibility not been known prior to this season, and this season been thus written with the assumption there would be a season seven, and even eight and nine, and then suddenly they got canceled, and they’d have to just end, there would be no closure at all.  But because they knew this was a distinct possibility, there is some.

She’s grieving the end, and can’t yet wrap her mind around not working with these people every day, but so grateful for the experience of working with them, and for the friendships she’s formed along the way.  And, despite the feelings about how it ended, TNT and Warner Bros. invested 13 years in this franchise, and no one person’s actions take away her gratitude for that.  It was TNT/WB who looked at “Darth Raydor” on The Closer and said, “We love her, and want more than just a few episodes with her!”

Share Post

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Any network head has the prerogative, and in fact duty, to create whatever vision they have,

I disagree with her on that. I think a network's duty is to put out the best that they can. What good does it do if their vision doesn't match what viewers want and/or if it's less than stellar? Then they'll lose money, people lose their jobs etc.

What TPTB seem to like to forget is that they get the money through viewership and fans, and in order to do that, one cannot have tunnel vision of their vision. One needs to look at what fans want, too, and it looks like fans want something that doesn't correspond with their vision. Cancelling the show that brings in solid money through a solid viewership instead of adjusting one's vision is bad leadership, in my opinion. Not that it makes a difference, just saying :-)

Share Post

7 hours ago, wknt3 said:

and interestingly enough does a much better job of presenting and justifying TNT's decision than TNT has done so far.

Ha - that's exactly what I thought.

Share Post

On 10/5/2017 at 11:22 AM, Percysowner said:

I do agree that the head honchos were tired of having a show that they didn't create and that didn't fit whatever edgy brand they are going for continue to get higher ratings then their new darlings. They tried to tank the ratings when they moved the time slot and that was only partly successful. Ratings did drop last season, but the show still was in the top 4 for ratings for TNT. This is a sad situation all around.

USA pulled the same shit a few years back. Clearing out their old procedural shows for a more sexy/edgy lineup (which failed spectacularly). 

While I'm saddened that the show is ending I'm mostly annoyed that it was canceled without a thought to the fans/cast/crew. After all these years they should have given the producers a heads up on the final season when it was initially renewed, so the EPs could plan for a satisfactory final season/wrap up.

Share Post

9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

USA pulled the same shit a few years back. Clearing out their old procedural shows for a more sexy/edgy lineup (which failed spectacularly). 

While I'm saddened that the show is ending I'm mostly annoyed that it was canceled without a thought to the fans/cast/crew. After all these years they should have given the producers a heads up on the final season when it was initially renewed, so the EPs could plan for a satisfactory final season/wrap up.

That's my biggest problem as well. How hard would it have been to have said season six will be the last? Or when they gave them the extra episodes, tell them the episodes can be used to wrap up the series. Of course, my preference would have been for a season 7 renewal with a final season announcement. In any case it is totally disrespectful to a loyal fanbase and a show that is still putting up good ratings.

Share Post

It might work out for the best that James Duff didn’t know for certain the finale was going to be The Finale, but knew it was a distinct possibility, and thus wrote it as something that could be continued, or could stand as the last thing we ever see of these characters.  Because a lot of series finales suck, largely because they try to wrap up too much.  I hate shows that end with a slew of retirements, deaths, marriages, relocations, pregnancies, and other major life changes.  The finales I enjoy most are those that leave me with the feeling these characters will largely continue on doing the things I’ve enjoyed watching them do all these years, I just won’t be peeking in on them anymore; they tie up loose ends, but don't conclude every freakin' thing about the characters and storylines.

I think Duff did a fantastic job completing Brenda’s story arc, but he only had her and Gabriel to write out; had Major Crimes not been coming, and thus the final episode of The Closer was going to be it for all the characters, what would he have written?  So, without any track record to make me think, “Oh, he writes great finales” or “Oh gods, he sucks at finales,” this split the difference situation might actually wind up being for the best.

It was disrespectful as all get out to do the “oh, by the way, you’re canceled, so this episode you are walking to the set right now to film is going to be the finale after 13 years; thanks, bye” bullshit, of course.  I just, on further reflection, think there might be a silver lining to that.  Similar to how I think being forced into a serialized format sucks, but may have the positive effect of resulting in a little more character development (in that having 220 minutes, instead of 44, to tell the story of how the case is solved frees up some time to show us a little more about these people).

Edited by Bastet.

Share Post

7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Me three. It's demeaning and rude, IMO, and makes me wonder about the character of those in power at TNT.

Share Post

James Duff, Mary McDonnell, and Tony Denison did a chat just before tonight’s episode, and there were a couple of interesting tidbits:

They haven’t been able to get anything from the set, but the duck lamps are James Duff’s, so he got those back.  Mary:  “Oh, poor Philip.”  Hee.

I reported before that Olivia (Mary’s daughter) appears this season, and tonight we learned it’s in the wedding episode, so my guess is she sings.  It sounds like Hobbs has some funny stuff with totally hating being a bridesmaid, and I can’t wait for that, because that is me.

Share Post

They're a really pretty deep purple, a shade that somehow manages to look good on all of them.

Share Post

I don’t watch any of the 3 ‘new’ shows mentioned as the new TNT direction. This was the only TNT series I’ve been recording on my DVR.  I’m not in the preferred marketing age group. However, I’m still working, still spending money, still generous at Christmas.  I don’t understand who it is they think watches cable TV these days. It’s not the millennials- they don’t have cable. They watch Netflix. The channels ( cable and broadcast) should really be running shows for their actual audience. 

Share Post

At the end of a Facebook post about this week's episode, James Duff previewed next week's post (which will be about next week's episode) by saying, "Next week, I’ll discuss Sharon Raydor’s ongoing frustration with the FBI and her growing conflict with the Catholic church. Oh. And the return of Julio Sanchez."

So it sounds like we don't get Julio back until the third episode.  Boo to Raymond Cruz's scheduling conflicts.  :-(

Share Post

Did they say where Julio is? I realized I must be ready for this to end because I have fast forwarded through the last two episodes and did not realize Julio had not been on.  I was prepared to not like Major Crimes as I was such a fan of the Closer, but it was a great time filler.  I just grew weary of the Rusty show.

Share Post

53 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Did they say where Julio is? I realized I must be ready for this to end because I have fast forwarded through the last two episodes and did not realize Julio had not been on.  I was prepared to not like Major Crimes as I was such a fan of the Closer, but it was a great time filler.  I just grew weary of the Rusty show.

He has a few more days bereavement leave for the loss of his mother. While not the normal one day close of the franchise he might not be in this story arc.

Share Post

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Did they say where Julio is?

Yes, he's on bereavement leave because his mom died.  In real life, Raymond Cruz had a scheduling conflict and was unavailable to shoot the first two episodes, but it seems he'll be back for the third.

Share Post

The season six DVDs will be released on March 13 - for $39.99!  For thirteen episodes.  I thought, okay, maybe in honor of the final season, there are some kick-ass special features, some behind-the-scenes pieces like they did for season one.  But, no, all that's listed is the usual deleted scenes and gag reel. 

Share Post

I see this morning that TNT has yet again changed the scheduling.  Conspiracy Theory Parts 3 & 4 will air December 19.  By Any Means Parts 1 & 2 will air December 26; part 3 will be January 2 & part 4 will be January 9.  This brings the finale back one week....  Bum's rush?  I have a feeling we'll be getting the final season of the Librarians too, as its schedule is also being advanced.  I believe there is circumstantial historical data (which I am too lazy to research, this is based on my inner curmudgeon) that when TNT starts aggressively scheduling its own programs in December/January, TNT really wants to dump those programs (I believe I will blame Trump, because why not?).

I suspect something sooperkewl is coming in February, probably from the new guys, and they gots to kick all that old krap to the kerb.

Share Post

Gods, they just won't quit coming up with ways to shit on their number one show on its way out the door, will they?

Normally I'd be thrilled to get two episodes in one night, but with it being the final season, I wanted to savor it.

Share Post

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that they are partly doing this because MC is doing pretty well in the ratings, all things considered. If they suddenly move things around maybe people won't realize there is a second episode coming up and then TNT won't look as foolish for having cancelled the show.

Share Post