Unpopular Opinions about Music

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Bakersfield is like it was rooted up from some southern state and replanted in the middle of CA.  Its truly a different kettle of fish.

Surrounded by desert, cotton fields, and oil derricks.

Share Post

Queen has many classic songs in their music catalog, but of all the songs of theirs that I've heard, this one is my favorite:

Share Post

Who Wants to Live Forever? is unpopular? Not, although the cheese factor of that video is pretty high.

Share Post

Michael Jackson UO: I greatly prefer Bad to Thriller. In fact, I'll even stir the pudding by stating that Thriller is a touch overrated, because the singles are so darned iconic and bigger than life, the rest of the album is kind of drippy and insubstantial by comparison. Bad, on the other hand, has consistently great songs from beginning to end, and they all stand on their own (though I admit the title track is one of my workout jams).

Share Post

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Who Wants to Live Forever? is unpopular? Not, although the cheese factor of that video is pretty high.

Compared to We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Another One Bites the Dust, or Bohemian Rhapsody, I feel like fewer people would call it their favorite Queen song.

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Michael Jackson UO: I greatly prefer Bad to Thriller. In fact, I'll even stir the pudding by stating that Thriller is a touch overrated, because the singles are so darned iconic and bigger than life, the rest of the album is kind of drippy and insubstantial by comparison. Bad, on the other hand, has consistently great songs from beginning to end, and they all stand on their own (though I admit the title track is one of my workout jams).

Have you ever watched pop music reviewer Todd in the Shadows on YouTube? He agrees with you on this. 

Edited by UYI.

Share Post

Yay, another Todd in the Shadows fan.  :)

Share Post

8 hours ago, UYI said:

Have you ever watched pop music reviewer Todd in the Shadows on YouTube? He agrees with you on this. 

You got me! Yeah, love Todd, he's the reason I have any idea what's going on in contemporary pop music! When he drew parallels on 21 and 25 and Thriller and Bad, that's what prompted me to check out the latter two, since, embarrassingly, I'd never taken the trouble to listen to either in their entirety.

I love the singles from Off the Wall, but the rest of the album? Well, it isn't terrible, but it hasn't aged well at all.

Share Post

Ok I'm an old fossil, but I do love some contemporary music. (Fergie, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Iglesias, Pitbull etc) but I hate HATE , with the heat of a thousand nuns :-) .... that Drake and that Weeknd. There. I said it.

Share Post

I like The Weeknd, and I like "I Feel it Coming", but the line that goes "I can feel that body shake and the heat between your legs" is just crass.

Share Post

On 3/7/2017 at 0:47 PM, Hanahope said:

Bakersfield is like it was rooted up from some southern state and replanted in the middle of CA.  Its truly a different kettle of fish.

Don't forget the oranges.  I stayed in an RV park there and was surprised how much I liked it there.  I went out every night and picked free oranges and scraped those damn pincer bugs off of everything outside that we owned.  

My unpopular opinion for this thread is about commercial FM radio in a large city -- I've cruised these crud bins while in the car and have run into four different stations playing "Hotel California" at the same goddamn time.  Isn't there money out there in a city of plus 500,000 residents to support a Nu/Symphonic/Gothic/Death/Speed/Black metal station for those of us who need such as an anger management tool?

Edited by navelgazer.

Share Post

For the talk about Katy Perry not being subtle in her appearance and especially her lyrics, in many ways Taylor Swift's lyrics are even LESS subtle. And that goes double for the many, MANY speeches she's given at award shows, which she often just uses as an excuse to shade people who have supposedly wronged her.

Plus, she's also the QUEEN of the humble brag. If you want to brag about something, make like Nike and JUST DO IT! Don't wrap it up in some faux humility bullshit. UGH. 

(For the record, I like many songs by both of these women.) 

Edited by UYI.

Share Post

My unpopular opinion for this thread is about commercial FM radio in a large city -- I've cruised these crud bins while in the car and have run into four different stations playing "Hotel California" at the same goddamn time.  Isn't there money out there in a city of plus 500,000 residents to support a Nu/Symphonic/Gothic/Death/Speed/Black metal station for those of us who need such as an anger management tool?

I hate Clear Channel, Cox Radio and all the other monolithic corporations that have taken over FM radio. There is no variety in the playlists anymore. Classic rock and R&B stations should have the ability to play music in their genre from various decades, but they rather replay the same 5 songs over and over. Its all part of the pay-for-play agreements between record labels and radio stations.  My area doesn't even have a modern rock station anymore. It has about 3 different rap stations and 3 different EDM stations. No thanks. I'll stick to my CDs.

Share Post

5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I hate Clear Channel, Cox Radio and all the other monolithic corporations that have taken over FM radio. There is no variety in the playlists anymore. Classic rock and R&B stations should have the ability to play music in their genre from various decades, but they rather replay the same 5 songs over and over. Its all part of the pay-for-play agreements between record labels and radio stations.  My area doesn't even have a modern rock station anymore. It has about 3 different rap stations and 3 different EDM stations. No thanks. I'll stick to my CDs.

A new station just started up in Sacramento today.  "Classic rock" for Gen-Xers.  In other words, "classic rock" from the 90s and 2000s.

Share Post

It's crazy. They wonder why the music industry doesn't make money, and I think that's one of the reasons. When you listen to Top 40 radio and they only play the same ten songs, how is anyone else supposed to become a household name? Beyond that, how is anyone supposed to sell albums when it's all about the single? If you hear a single on the radio, maybe you become a fan of that song. But more often than not, you're not going to buy that person's album because what's the point?

I seriously hope one they break up the radio conglomerates like CC and COX. I know that payola is "dead", but they need stricter laws on radio stations being in the back pockets of the labels and vice versa. That's why you don't get a bunch of indie artists on most of these formats whereas the latest molest-me single by Rihanna gets paid eighty-two times a day. It really seems like the last biggest expense in the music industry is keeping DJs and program directors happy.

A new station just started up in Sacramento today.  "Classic rock" for Gen-Xers.  In other words, "classic rock" from the 90s and 2000s.

Oh great. Let me know when they play "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" by Ninedays. For thirtysomethings, it's that classic from...high school.

Share Post

I hate Queen.

HATE them.

The most overrated, overhyped, overplayed band EVER.  The world of advertising has developed a reflexive dependence on Queen.  No ideas for a new campaign?   Lay a track of "We Are the Champions" or "Under Pressure" over a montage of meaningless images, add voiceover and you're good to go.

I was a teenager at the height of Queen's career and even then they weren't this ubiquitous.   And yes, I loathed them then, too.  To this day, I have to grit my teeth when watching Highlander.

(Okay, the Bohemian Rhapsody scene in Wayne's World was funny but that was more Myers and Carvey than Mercury).

The Police are next on the list, followed closely by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Hate them all.

Share Post

I can take Queen or leave them, would never own an album of theirs, and I don't think Freddie Mercury has the best voice ever in rock, nor was he the best frontman ever. There are plenty of other frontmen who are great and have wonderful voices. Freddie is not the only one, people.

Share Post

On 4/13/2017 at 6:22 PM, 27bored said:

It's crazy. They wonder why the music industry doesn't make money, and I think that's one of the reasons. When you listen to Top 40 radio and they only play the same ten songs, how is anyone else supposed to become a household name? Beyond that, how is anyone supposed to sell albums when it's all about the single?

I can't remember the last time I was turned on to a new singer or band from the radio.  Every new singer or band that I've gotten into in the last 7-8 years is something either recommended from a friend, or was a track during one of my gym's work-out programs.  Every time I turn on the radio it is the same songs and frankly, I find them all rather bland and 'commercial'.  Then of course, they go on to win grammys and it just makes me shake my head.

Share Post

It's very true that a new artist is hard to find on the radio and the ones that do breakout are ones with serious label support (and payola) so that I rarely find new music thanks to the radio. DJs used to create playlists and make music in part to give the audience what they want and in part to showcase the things they love. Now Radio DJs are just there to play the corporately mandated playlists and fill the time between music with something entertaining enough to stop people from changing the channel.

Most of my new music comes from TV shows using songs and bands in soundtracks, people recommending things online, artists recommending other lesser known artists, me falling into a youtube hole and landing on something interesting or me really digging around iTunes and giving random things a listen. I only listen to the radio when I'm in my mom's car. I love pop music and I have no problem with a popular song, but one weekend I was with her running errands for a few hours and I heard "Shape of You" five times. We spent maybe a hour total in the car over the course of the day. That's killing music and radio because after the fifth time, I got out my iphone and put on my own playlist.

Share Post

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Most of my new music comes from TV shows using songs and bands in soundtracks,

I've lost count of how many songs I've found because they were background on some TV show, some old, some new, but always new to me. I used to hear new artists on MTV Hits because I would put it on the TV while I was doing other stuff, but ever since the channel became Nick Music, they seriously suck & I no longer get to hear new people.

Share Post

All of my new music comes from TV shows, movies, or commercials. This is not to say that some of my new-to-me favorite newer artists are not played on the radio (and some ad nauseam). I rarely listen and don't know but suspect that a few are. I am just saying I did not discover them on the radio, because radio is just not my happy place anymore.

Share Post

The damn radio station I listen to never tells me who's singing.  I have to use Shazam to find out who they are.

Share Post

It's worse because it's not just that they play the same songs, but they also tend to play the same artists. Even when an artist does a song that's "commercial", they wouldn't play it. Take "Yoga" by Janelle Monae. It's a song I could see inspiring tons of YouTube videos and covers and whatnot, but it barely got any airplay. Had it been Beyonce or Rihanna telling you to let your booty do the yoga, it would've been a #1 hit and overplayed. But Janelle, with her intelligent, earnest voice, just couldn't pull it off.

I remember hearing a theory a few years ago that I thought was interesting. I don't know if it's true, but someone said the reason the music industry and radio especially won't introduce and sign better singers and more interesting artists is because they don't want to alienate their current cash cows by moving on. Basically, say if big diva ballads came back in style a la Whitney and Mariah. How many of today's mainstream pop acts would pull off an "I Will Always Love You" or "Vision of Love"? That's why those types of songs don't make it on the radio. Songs with five notes like "Work" by Rihanna or current hit "Shape of You" (which was meant to be a Rihanna song) work better because they're keeping the bar low.

It makes sense even if it's not entirely true.

Share Post

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I've lost count of how many songs I've found because they were background on some TV show, some old, some new, but always new to me. I used to hear new artists on MTV Hits because I would put it on the TV while I was doing other stuff, but ever since the channel became Nick Music, they seriously suck & I no longer get to hear new people.

If you get cable through Spectrum, they have a series of channels called Music Choice which is way up on the dial. They don't show videos, but they have "stations" that cater to various different tastes/genres. That was where I first discovered Elle King, who I don't think I've ever heard on the radio, so they have a fairly wide range of artists who don't get the airplay "popular" singers do.

Share Post

23 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If you get cable through Spectrum, they have a series of channels called Music Choice which is way up on the dial. They don't show videos, but they have "stations" that cater to various different tastes/genres. That was where I first discovered Elle King, who I don't think I've ever heard on the radio, so they have a fairly wide range of artists who don't get the airplay "popular" singers do.

I have all those stations, but I like having the videos, & I don't want to have to choose which genre to listen to. I want to hear a variety of stuff.

Share Post

7 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

So funny that you mention Elle King. I had heard *something" of her on the radio and really liked it, no idea who was singing (at the gym I don't bring my phone, so no Shazam).

Then in an episode of Reign, there was this upbeat dance music, which I just knew I knew otherwise. Turned out after some sleuthing that that was the Vitamin String Quartet version of Exes and Ohs. And there, finally, I was able to add Elle King's exes and Ohs (and many others) after having just realised that she sang not only that song that was catchy as hell but a few others that I really liked. Thank you Reign :) and Vitamin Quartet :), who also have amazing other pieces. xxxxxooooo indeed!

Share Post

I love Elle King. Exes and Ohs is a bonafide shit talker and she sounds badass on it. And I love whenever an unconventionally attractive female makes waves. 

Share Post

14 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"Ex's and Oh's" received quite a bit of airplay on both pop and alternative rock stations in late 2015-early 2016, when it really started to get big. I've also heard her song "America's Sweetheart" on the radio, too (and maybe even her song "Under the Influence", though now I can't remember--I have her album). I guess part of it depends on where you live and what company owns the stations there. 

Possible UO:

I know that classic country stations are seen by many advertisers as being aimed at the "wrong" (read: old) demographic, and possibly as being too expensive to start from scratch, but I have a feeling there are areas where they would clean up in terms of ratings and money if more people would give them a chance. 

Edited by UYI.

Share Post

Kendrick Lamar's new album is a'ight, but not fall over myself awesome. Kendrick is a high level MC and has good production, but he's on his Woke shit extra hard. Not there's anything wrong with it in general, but I'm not really interested in it for an entire album. And he seems more scattered than normal, which is nice given he still managed to channel it into compelling music.

That said, "Humble" is my shit. I keep telling people to sit down lil bitch...in my head.

Edited by 27bored.

Share Post

16 hours ago, 27bored said:

but he's on his Woke shit extra hard. Not there's anything wrong with it in general, but I'm not really interested in it for an entire album.

That's an interesting criticism because I think he went way harder in that direction on To Pimp A Butterfly than DAMN. He's aimed to be far more radio friendly, in my opinion, on DAMN than TPAB. Also, really, with everything going on in this country and world - "his WOKE shit". Okay then.

On first listen, I do think TPAB cohesively and thematically is the stronger album but DAMN is still amazing in my opinion. But then again, when you're as good as Kendrick, what's ordinary for him is brilliant for many other artists. Also DNA is one of the most brilliant rap songs this year, in my opinion. 

In keeping with the theme of this thread being unpopular opinions, I'd say possibly my most unpopular opinion regarding music is that I just don't think The Beatles were that great. I think they made okay to good pop songs but I've never understood why they were and are so revered. It's also why I will forever love TIME Magazine for naming Bob Marley's Legend (deservedly) the greatest album of all time over a Beatles album, even though they had like five of their albums in the Top 10. The reaction to that was classic. 

Edited by truthaboutluv.

Share Post

I keep reading peoples comments about Harry Styles new song Sign of The Times, & they all seem to say how they're impressed by the song & how good it is, & I just don't get it. I think it's a seriously boring song. & I don't understand what everybody likes about it. I've tried to listen to it a few times thinking that maybe I just need to hear it more than once, but nope, still boring. 

Share Post

On 4/18/2017 at 9:52 AM, 27bored said:

I love Elle King. Exes and Ohs is a bonafide shit talker and she sounds badass on it. And I love whenever an unconventionally attractive female makes waves. 

If liking Elle King is unpopular, I will come sit next to you. I seldom run right out and buy CDs anymore, but I had to have Love Stuff in my collection after I heard Ex's and Oh's for the first time.

Share Post

I'll be just fine with Elle King sticking around. I'm so glad she didn't inherit her dad's lack of charm and talent!

Share Post

She opened on the Dixie Chicks reunion tour last year, and joined them onstage a few times when they covered "Landslide".

Share Post

We may need to get a bigger couch for all of us! I like her voice - it's unique in a good way. America's Sweetheart was the song that got my attention. She held her own with the Dixie Chicks! 

Share Post