Unpopular Opinions about Music

I'll give an example/background for this question: on the recent NYT Popcast, they were discussing Pink and how as late as 2010, she was opening up for Justin Timberlake. Given how talented and successful Pink is, it's a little amazing that she was opening for Justin Timberlake in 2010.

Timberlake didn't tour in 2010. He took a break from 2007 to 2013. P!nk did open for him on his US leg of his 2007 FutureSex/LoveShow Tour which is named after his album. That album debuted with 684K in sales its first week and went on to sell 4.4M in the US. In 2006, P!nk released her most successful album to date with 126K in opening week sales. "Funhouse" was the album that pushed up to another success level and it was released in 2008.

I love P!nk much more than Timberlake, but Timberlake was the much more successful than her when they toured together in 2007.

Meanwhile, Pink is a better singer, makes better pop music, and has been more consistent than Justin, and she's only recently been able to headline her own arena tours.

P!nk had an arena tour in 2009 in support of her "Funhouse" album. In 2009, the tour took in over $100M in ticket sales and was the fifth highest grossing tour of 2009 (behind U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and ACDC).

I think that NYT Popcast gave some very bad intel even if I do agree that Timberlake is overrated.

Share Post

Blake Shelton's songs might have some catchy lyrics, but the man just cannot sing.

Share Post

The best part of Blake Shelton was always Miranda Lambert. But that's FAR from a UO. :)

Share Post

I can't help it--I've liked every song I've heard Pit Bull featured in  and I really like his song Bad Man.

Share Post

OK, here's another 'Get Off My Lawn, Whippersnappers' comment but since it's an UO, here goes:

With all the news of rampant sexual harassment and even sexual battery in the music industry, etc., I have to wonder if things might have been at least less blatant if not had perps instantly called on their stuff instantly and  had there been some attempts to draw lines and boundaries instead of pushing them beyond the bounds of conventional taste with no attempt to say 'enough',etc. way back when. 

Cases in point:instead of laughing off and considering it clever moves for Red Hot Chili Peppers to wear socks on parts other than feet onstage and TLC's  now-deceased Left Eye to wear a condom over her left eye, could things have been more tolerable had their audiences called out"BOOOOO! BOOOOOOO! YUCK! VULGAR! VULGAR! GIVE US OUR MONEY BACK! "

Just wondering. 

Share Post

On 11/24/2017 at 9:55 PM, WritinMan said:

Everyone likes ABBA, but no one admits it.

I know plenty of people who admit it!  I didn't know it was a thing to hide.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, here's another 'Get Off My Lawn, Whippersnappers' comment but since it's an UO, here goes:

With all the news of rampant sexual harassment and even sexual battery in the music industry, etc., I have to wonder if things might have been at least less blatant if not had perps instantly called on their stuff instantly and  had there been some attempts to draw lines and boundaries instead of pushing them beyond the bounds of conventional taste with no attempt to say 'enough',etc. way back when. 

Cases in point:instead of laughing off and considering it clever moves for Red Hot Chili Peppers to wear socks on parts other than feet onstage and TLC's  now-deceased Left Eye to wear a condom over her left eye, could things have been more tolerable had their audiences called out"BOOOOO! BOOOOOOO! YUCK! VULGAR! VULGAR! GIVE US OUR MONEY BACK! "

Just wondering. 

In my opinion? No. And even if the answer is yes for other people, you'd have to go back farther than Left Eye and the Chili Peppers. The latter formed in 1983, years after Ed Sullivan refused to let The Rolling Stones perform Let's Spend the Night Together with the original lyrics, insisting that Mick Jagger sing 'Let's spend some time together" instead. Sullivan also tried to prevent The Doors from performing the original lyrics of Light My Fire, but Jim Morrison balked at the last moment and sang 'higher' instead of whatever else. And Madonna's career was just getting started in the 80s too; really, once one person has become famous partly by singing Like A Virgin, The Divinyls singing about masturbation couldn't have been that far behind.

Share Post

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Blergh said:

Just wondering. 

I'd say no because sexual harassment long predates these examples. I am confident that there have been sexual predators in the music industry as long as there's has been a music industry. We just didn't hear about it then.

ETA: There was nothing vulgar about TLC wearing condoms. They weren't shock artists. They weren't doing it for attention. TLC has a history of talking about safe sex and in the early 90s that was a conversation we needed to be having with HIV still relatively new. They promoted safe sex through their music and fashion and their intent was to empower their female fans to protect themselves. I can't look at the band that sang Waterfalls and think their condom displays (and all of them did it on their clothes, just Left Eye wore one as an eye patch) were anything other than promoting safe sex practices.

Edited by vibeology.

Share Post

OK, I guess vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder and one can decide for oneself whatever motivations performers may have had in wearing what they did onstage (and I'm not naive enough to think that harassment was unknown previous to the rock era).

One could even argue that Elvis and the Beatles were trying to rebel against hypocritical elements in society but the problem with any revolution is that if participants have no idea the concept of what would be 'too far' much less attempt to put hands on brakes if they do have said concept , there's nothing to stop said revolutions from imploding from their own excesses.

Hence, I think if there HAD been open disapproval by audiences and peers (to say nothing of less profit) , harassment would be LESS blatant in this field than it is currently.

Edited by Blergh. Reason: taking a break

Share Post

Well, 'rock and roll' has been a euphemism for sex since the turn of the last century so it's pretty much there on the label. And just about everything an artist does gets derided by someone. The Chili Peppers were one I got a kick out of because, to me, it felt like they were objectifying themselves as opposed to having scantily clad women writhing around on-stage for no reason other than to have scantily clad women writhing about on-stage. Back in the 70s, the Stones had a giant inflatable penis on-stage that shot confetti out of the tip and Jagger wrestled with and rode it. Fairly certain the cops showed in Texas over that one. And music is something the riles people up... always has been... you can say that's the whole point of it.

Unfortunately, something that gets attention like that and riles people up and then starts to make money, or puts people in a spotlight... well, it always comes with the unsavory side. And it's terrible when the money gets involved because then it gets really, really fucking dark and ugly.  The Chilis wearing nothing but socks onstage is downright harmless compared to the dirty shit that happens behind the scenes.

But I think music does a lot more good than harm... besides what is vulgar changes, as it should. Loretta Lynn was the most banned artist in America for years. She may still be... and a lot of that was due to 'The Pill' which she wrote because finally having access to birth control was a real thing for her. But the country music machine did not want THAT out there. A woman controlling when she could have a baby? BLASPHEMY!! It's interesting to me that rock music came to the forefront in the rigid post-WWII society and just shook everything apart... including race, gender and sex. I mean, it didn't sweep away all barriers immediately and fix everything, goodness knows that, but it was a powerful vehicle to bring those ideas out into the light.

Share Post

While I appreciate the Foo Fighters for making actual rock music, the kind that won't easily be mistaken for pop or alternative music, they really don't do much for me. I like a few of their songs, but I'm not a hardcore fan or anything.

I have grown to REALLY love Demi Lovato. Her recent documentary on YouTube was fantastic, and this has to be one of the best pop songs of the year. Just stunning.

Edited by UYI.

Share Post

Foo Fighters would be my second favorite band of all time, but when they did their Sonic Highways series a few years back, I am pretty sure I am in the minority in hoping they would have experimented a little with the sound that showcased the city and/or major artists from that city that they were reflecting on in each episode.  Definitely still keeping it rock but rock (imo) really came into fruition by influence from other genres.

Share Post

On 8/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, Shannon L. said:

I didn't have an album, but Down by the Lazy River still puts a smile on my face and a bounce in my step.  I can still sing along to it, too  :)

Hey, what's wrong with the Osmonds?  lol  Seriously, a lot of people disliked them back in the day.  I got a lot of flack from being a huge fan.  Didn't let that get me down, though.  They got me through some tough times as a kid.   I have all their albums, except one (stolen, I think) and all singles. (Including Marie and Jimmy.)  

Share Post

18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Hey, what's wrong with the Osmonds?  lol  Seriously, a lot of people disliked them back in the day.  I got a lot of flack from being a huge fan.  Didn't let that get me down, though.  They got me through some tough times as a kid.   I have all their albums, except one (stolen, I think) and all singles. (Including Marie and Jimmy.)  

I'll defend Meet Me in Montana to anyone! :)

Share Post

Oh yeah. I liked that  one (Marie)  a lot too.  And even though the Osmonds had their fair share of critics, back in the day, I always loved 2 of their less known, non-hit songs:

Share Post

Re: The Osmonds

*small voice* I kinda like "Soldier of Love" (but that's cause I like '80s cheese of any variety).

Share Post

3 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't like the Cranberries.

As I opened this thread & started reading your post, I was watching an E!News story on her death & thinking "I never liked the Cranberries" I just don't like their music.

Share Post