Today in the holding cell, we have: The Guest Stars

Few series have surpassed Barney Miller in the accumulation of a "repertory company" of actors and actresses who turned up again and again in different roles to populate the stories. Some of my favorites include (and I haven't gone back to double-check everyone, it's possible some of these appeared only once):

Kenneth Tigar

Stanley Kamel (hm, is there a theme here?)

Barrie Youngfellow

Peggy Pope

Beverly Sanders

Share Post

Who was it that played the guy who was convinced that he was a werewolf? I was sure it was Sam Anderson (who's probably best know for playing Bernard on Lost), but I just double-checked both his Wikipedia and IMDB pages, and the show wasn't listed.

Share Post

David Clennon was on quite a few episodes - 5 - always playing someone different.

Share Post

Brett Somers was on an episode tonight.  Playing a wife whose husband locked her in the bathroom on election day so she couldn't cancel out his vote.

Ned Glass who played the super/landlord in Julia (with Diahann Carroll), a Aspire favorite, played a janitor in a recent episode who was charged with catching a huge rat.

Share Post

Today's episode had Ron Carey who became Levitt play Angelo Molinari aka The Mole - a robber who runs through sewers.  Wojo and Harris chase him down there and come back covered in ... poo.

Share Post

Not exactly on topic but

Saw Jack Soo on an episode of Julia (late 60s), he was a Christmas tree salesman and he sold a Charlie Brown type of tree to Julia and her son Corey.  He was so young looking!  Had a quasi Elvis vibe going on.  I love when I spot people in older shows.  (Julia is on Aspire.)

Share Post

All-Star Super Password special with Hal Linden, Max Gail, Ron Carey, and Gregory Sierra... the cast of Barney Miller!

Day 3 (3/9/88), day 4 (3/10/88), and day 5 (3/11/88) on the sidebar on the right

Share Post

Remember when WIlliam Windom played the suicidal lunatic Commander Decker on the "Doomsday Machine" episode of Star Trek? I loved it when he showed up on Barney Miller playing another suicidal lunatic in an episode called "Doomsday". 

Share Post

Saw Jack Soo on an episode of Julia (late 60s),

He was a hoot in most of his pre Barney Miller appearances.  He was quite funny as Sammy Fong in "Flower Drum Song" (1961) .  He was also in the John Wayne film, "The Green Berets" (1968) in a more serious role

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a pre-Diff'rent Strokes Todd Bridges in an episode from the first season.  He played a 7 year old who tried to stick up Barney's wife, Liz, who promptly made a citizens arrest and brought him to the one-two.  

Edited by magicdog.

Share Post

Let's not forget that Doris Roberts had a few run-ins with the One-Two. On two occasions she played the wife of a gold-hoarder who wanted him arrested so he would quit selling off her clothes and furniture.

Anyway, she said in her Emmy TV Legends Archive Interview that she had a lot of fun playing the parts BUT she disliked having to work to their regular 2 AM quitting time.

Share Post

I just saw Walter Olkewicz on BM.  I had ALWAYS (for decades) liked this guy, never knew his name.  Glad I had the chance to make note of it and in this digital age look him up!  

Share Post

I've always liked Walter Olkewicz too. I first noticed him as a regular on a good but short-lived 1979 MTM sitcom, The Last Resort. An amusing thing I remember about his career is that after that show and a dozen other film and TV appearances (Barney Miller included), his credit in the 1982 movie Jimmy the Kid read "and introducing Walter Olkewicz," as if he were brand-new. 

Share Post

In episode "Middle Age," one plot involves a series of thefts of diamonds from Hasidic Jews who work in the diamond district, as represented to the audience in the person of actor Nehemiah Persoff, playing Yacov Berger. 
His comic timing and vocal inflections made me laugh at almost all his punch lines — and I am a "tough crowd" member. 
Of course, humor is subjective. 
Anyone else enjoy this character?

Edited by shapeshifter. Reason: typo

Share Post

Is that the one where the diamond dealer pretends he is missing a few diamonds? He leaves, then comes back in yelling "April fool! So its November--sue me!"?

My favorite guest is Lt. Scanlon! (George Murdock). I saw him on a ST:TNG episode a couple of weeks ago--he was really a wonderful actor. He did such a great job with Scanlon's seething rage. He mannerisms, the way he bit off his words, the way he held himself, barely able to keep from exploding. His interactions with the guys are so charged, I love that tension. I'm always happy when its a Scanlon episode. So many of the guest stars were wonderful. I also loved the smooth talking photographer who won all the ladies with his charming ways (Phil Leeds). He was on a bunch of times, and with every character he was great.

Share Post

On 7/13/2016 at 7:38 AM, Rinaldo said:

I've always liked Walter Olkewicz too. I first noticed him as a regular on a good but short-lived 1979 MTM sitcom, The Last Resort. An amusing thing I remember about his career is that after that show and a dozen other film and TV appearances (Barney Miller included), his credit in the 1982 movie Jimmy the Kid read "and introducing Walter Olkewicz," as if he were brand-new. 

ME TOO!!!   I could never remember his name before the Internet etc. but now I was finally able to see him and look him up.  

Sorry - it's been a while since I posted my other one!  I'm responding to you responding to me.  LOL.

Edited by Granny58.

Share Post

Of the main characters, I think only Barney (Hal Lindin), Liz (Barbara Barrie), Wojo (Max Gail) and Chano (Gregory Sierra) are still with us.

Share Post

On 11/30/2016 at 9:33 PM, Lola16 said:

Of the main characters, I think only Barney (Hal Lindin), Liz (Barbara Barrie), Wojo (Max Gail) and Chano (Gregory Sierra) are still with us.

Hal seems to be in pretty good health too. He does theater and music tours constantly. He was recently on Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossol Podcast and a good part of the interview was about how busy he still is.

Link to discussion of that podcast, and a link for the podcast itself, below. Relevant to this specific topic (guest stars) he talks about James Gregory (Inspector Luger) a bit, as well as how Steve Landesburg actually started as a guest star playing another role (a con-artist posing as a Priest).  

Edited by Kromm.

Share Post

11 minutes ago, Kromm said:

how Steve Landesburg actually started as a guest star playing another role (a con-artist posing as a Priest).

I remember that!

Share Post

So did Levitt. He was the Mole who got Harris and Wojo to chase him through a sewer.

Share Post

"Group Home" aired on Me TV this evening. It's the one in which Jillian and Victor make a repeat appearance. I looked up Victor on IMDb to see if the young actor was still performing and was sad and startled to read of John Cassisi:

He is now a construction site manager, is married and has three children. [January 2011]

December 2015: Sentenced to two-to-six years in prison for money laundering and bribery.

Share Post

Yikes. Bad Victah.

I was watching a That Girl episode and Don's boss was being played by James Gregory (Inspector Luger). A little younger but exactly the same. One funny thing was his wife's name in the episode was Agnes. Which he pronounced Aganess. Just like he did on Barney Miller when Agnes was the name of a diner waitress he was interested in.  Ag A Ness.

Share Post

A pre-Facts of Life Charlotte Rae played a ditz who signed up to go to Saturn in "The Sniper." 

Jeffrey Tambor (much younger of course, but still bald) played a conspiracy theorist who feared the Trilateral Commission in "Field Associate."

A very young James Cromwell plays a doctor (cardiologist?) in "Stress Analyst."  Saw that one recently - he plays it relatively low-key for BM, and if I hadn't recognized him he would have made no impression on me at all.   According to IMDb he's also in "Strip Joint," "Liquidation," and "Group Home" -- different characters in each one, apparently -- but haven't seen those recently so no comments there.

Share Post

On 4/15/2014 at 9:15 PM, Rinaldo said:

It was Kenneth Tigar.

And he came back - don't recall the episode name, but this time the character was convinced he was possessed by a demon.  Cue the exorcist parody, complete with demonic voices (which I didn't care for - too OTT and not in the relatively realist tradition of the show).  

Share Post

On 2/26/2018 at 2:48 PM, Wilbur Whateley said:

And he came back - don't recall the episode name, but this time the character was convinced he was possessed by a demon.  Cue the exorcist parody, complete with demonic voices (which I didn't care for—too OTT and not in the relatively realist tradition of the show).  

Kenneth Tigar first played Stefan Koepeknie in season 3’s “Werewolf, then reprised the character in season 8’s “Possession.”

His characters were usually wacky: a man visited by a Revolutionary War poltergeist named Julius in “The Ghost,” a man claiming to be Jesus Christ in “The Photographer,” and a clairvoyant mugger in “The Psychic.” 

Share Post

On 1/7/2015 at 12:33 AM, Lola16 said:

Brett Somers was on an episode tonight.  Playing a wife whose husband locked her in the bathroom on election day so she couldn't cancel out his vote.

Ned Glass who played the super/landlord in Julia (with Diahann Carroll), a Aspire favorite, played a janitor in a recent episode who was charged with catching a huge rat.

Brett played the super's wife on one of those rare out of the precinct episodes --- where Fish, Barney, and Wojo are holed up in an empty apartment on a stakeout.

Share Post

10 hours ago, Lola16 said:

Brett [Somers] played the super's wife on one of those rare out of the precinct episodes --- where Fish, Barney, and Wojo are holed up in an empty apartment on a stakeout.

That was an early episode, wasn't it? (Goes to look it up...) Yes. Season 1, Episode 6. When they were still settling in to figure out what the best series format would be. (Admittedly, there were a handful of scenes in other sets in later seasons -- but few enough to count easily.) I also remember this episode for providing us with the edifying sight of Hal Linden clad only in a towel. Well done, writers.

Share Post

Saw an episode tonight that I don't recall ever seeing before.  It was "Homeless" where shop owner Bender finds a homeless man (Don Calfa) camping out in his store. The homeless man appeared on 6 other episodes of Barney Miller as different characters.  Bender's wife comes to bail him out and its the same actress (Mari Gorman) who played Ros, the female detective assigned to the 12th where Wojo walks in on her in the bathroom.  When looking it up, seems she played 3 different characters on the show:

Mari Gorman:
- Landmark: Part 3 (1982) ... Naomi Bender

- Homeless (1981) ... Naomi Bender

- Evaluation (1978) ... Officer Rosslyn Licori

- Hostage (1978) ... Officer Rosslyn Licori

- Wojo's Problem (1978) ... Officer Rosslyn Licori

- Bugs (1977) ... Roberta Kerlin

Don Calfa:
- Homeless (1981) ... Edward Pratken

- The Vests (1981) ... Arthur Thompson

- The Desk (1979) ... Gilbert Lesco

- Identity (1979) ... Calvin J. Kendall

- Hostage (1978) ... Leon Bidell

- Copy Cat (1977) ... Angelo Dodi

- Group Home (1977) ... Mr. DiLucca

Share Post

Yes, of course it's nothing new for actors to play multiple roles over the years on the show (it was part of the "stock company doing a one-act-play" charm of the series), or even for a guest player to get bumped up to a recurring role as a temporary member of the squad. But Mari Gorman's case was highly unusual: doing a guest role (that turned out to be recurring) after being established in a recurring police role. I'd forgotten that that happened for her. I remember her only as Roz, with that distinctive twist to the mouth when speaking.

Share Post

Florence Halop was in a number of episodes, always playing a different old lady.  I remember her best as the replacement bailiff on Night Court (when Selma Diamond passed away, and before Roz).

Share Post

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:38 AM, Rinaldo said:

I haven't thought about "Jimmy The Kid" in eons.  Thought it was funny when I was young (like age 10-ish) but tried watching a few years ago, and couldn't finish it.  Walter was a chef on a funny episode of Seinfeld where George "steals" a suit the guy wants at a "secret sale", and George later shows up for a lunch interview where the guy works as a chef.  He refused to eat desert and lost the job, but he said everyone who did got violently ill.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:16 PM, Blergh said:

Let's not forget that Doris Roberts had a few run-ins with the One-Two. On two occasions she played the wife of a gold-hoarder who wanted him arrested so he would quit selling off her clothes and furniture.

Anyway, she said in her Emmy TV Legends Archive Interview that she had a lot of fun playing the parts BUT she disliked having to work to their regular 2 AM quitting time.

As did her ELR husband, Peter Boyle.  He was on at least twice, playing a businessman who printed up posters encouraging people to kill criminals.  We joked about seeing Marie Barone, and then Frank Barone.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:48 AM, magicdog said:

He was a hoot in most of his pre Barney Miller appearances.  He was quite funny as Sammy Fong in "Flower Drum Song" (1961) .  He was also in the John Wayne film, "The Green Berets" (1968) in a more serious role.

The other night, Inspector Lugar was trying to find something to do while he was on vacation, and he asked if "Flower Drum Song" was still playing on Broadway.  Yemana just looked at him.  It was funny.

Edited by funky-rat.

Share Post

3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I haven't thought about "Jimmy The Kid" in eons.  Thought it was funny when I was young (like age 10-ish) but tried watching a few years ago, and couldn't finish it. 

This is a real sidebar, but whatever the lacks of Jimmy the Kid as a movie, the book it's based on is a good read if you like comedic crime stories. It's one in a series about the same characters by the late great Donald E. Westlake, and the book-within-the-book that the crew are using as a model for their caper is "by" Westlake's hard-boiled pseudonym Richard Stark (though this particular Stark book doesn't actually exist). Several books in the series have been filmed, so that Paul Le Mat is playing the same character played in mother movies by Robert Redford, George C. Scott, Christopher Lambert, and Martin Lawrence.

Share Post