All Episodes Talk

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I heard it was a Texas thing.

Yes, my precious mother and her mother put sliced eggs in the gravy. It has grossed me out from day one and I picked them out or deftly spooned around them. Well, both of those darling ladies are gone now so my sister and I do not put the egg in! I can't imagine where the original idea came from and why!

Share Post

I’d rather have eggs in gravy than giblets.  Well, technically I’d rather have neither, but if it’s a choice, eggs would win.  I think it’s like a lot of these old recipes.  People raised chickens and had lots of eggs to use up.  Hard boiled eggs in cream gravy or leftover gravy, served over toast or potatoes, fed a family on the cheap.  So some families grew to love eggs in the gravy.  That’s my assumption, at least.

Sliced hard boiled eggs are also often paired with Welsh Rarebit, which we’ve discussed and which our dear Queen of Food Network has developed her own recipe for that will now show on the top of any Google search.

My gripe with Ree is to boil her own darned eggs and not use store bought ones that are preserved with God knows what chemicals.  Since she loves her friends and family soooo much and lives to feed them good stuff.  Yeah, right...

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:12 AM, anneofcleves said:

People raised chickens and had lots of eggs to use up.  Hard boiled eggs in cream gravy or leftover gravy, served over toast or potatoes, fed a family on the cheap.  So some families grew to love eggs in the gravy.  That’s my assumption, at least.

Well, Anne, aren't you smart!  I'll betcha anything you're right about the origins of the egg in gravy custom.

Ree is fond of saying that she keeps a bowl of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge because Ladd and the kids love them for snacks.  Besides, she has to give them their daily fix of cholesterol, just in case her meals don't clog the arteries sufficiently.  I can't be too hard on Ree, though, because I think an egg is a much better snack than a big chunk of cake or a handful of cookies.

Share Post

If they love eggs so much, why don't they have chickens?  They have plenty of land for them.   Maybe they don't because the government won't pay them to have chickens on their land.

Share Post

2 hours ago, ariel said:

If they love eggs so much, why don't they have chickens?  They have plenty of land for them.   Maybe they don't because the government won't pay them to have chickens on their land.

Maybe we should tell her Martha Stewart has chickens (and goats and other critters on her farm in NY). Martha is more of a pioneer woman, or just woman, than Ree could ever hope to be.

Share Post

I think Ree would find raising chickens to be too much dirty work. She nearly had a fit when an orphaned baby calf slobbered "meringue" on her expensive jacket during a bottle-feeding session.

Share Post

The thing is they could probably hire a local to tend to the chickens for pennies on the dollar.  Ree could pretend she does all the chicken keeping herself.  Her rube fans wouldn't know the difference & praise her for her pioneer ways.

Share Post

On 11/17/2017 at 4:20 PM, ariel said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head, I think.  The more I watch them, and see their empire expand from ranching, to keeping mustangs, to blogging, to tv, to selective ad placement (Ford truck), to mass merchandising, to restaurants, to retail store fronts, to hotels, to God knows whatever is next, it really smacks of greed.  Outside of Donald Trump and possibly Paula Deen, I’m having trouble thinking of a “celebrity” putting her name on everything in site that seems like it would generate income.  Martha Stewart built an empire, but it always had its focus on cooking and homekeeping.  Ree’s Focus seems to be all over the place.  My joke a few months back about a Dollywood-type amusement park, Pioneer Woman World, is seeming like more and more of a reality.  

I appreciate capitalism as much as the next American, but her oversaturation maybe her downfall.  Of course, my ability to understand the tastes and good judgment of Americans in recent years is questionable.

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

Rachel Ray comes to mind. She's got branded EVOO and pet foods but at least she doesn't slap her name on everything.

Share Post

4 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

My joke a few months back about a Dollywood-type amusement park, Pioneer Woman World, is seeming like more and more of a reality.  

God help us all.  But there would be sychophants flocking in to ride the spinning Walmart teacup or take a ride on the gravy lagoon I would imagine.

Share Post

53 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

God help us all.  But there would be sychophants flocking in to ride the spinning Walmart teacup or take a ride on the gravy lagoon I would imagine.

Gravy lagoon.  Brilliant.  LOL!

Share Post

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Being the proud "Merican"  that Ree is, every thing at Pioneer Woman World would be made in China.  

Share Post

1 hour ago, ariel said:

Being the proud "Merican"  that Ree is, every thing at Pioneer Woman World would be made in China.  

And operated by immigrants paid starvation wages, under the table, of course.

Share Post

37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And operated by immigrants paid starvation wages, under the table, of course.

And being a #45 supporter, she'd get special visas;  gotta keep those followers happy.  They can live out in the back 40 in the itinerant field hand cabins.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

And being a #45 supporter, she'd get special visas;  gotta keep those followers happy.  They can live out in the back 40 in the itinerant field hand cabins.

Or be free range like the mustangs- get the gubment to subsidize the whole operation.

Share Post