All Episodes Talk

She served him breakfast on a platter!  If you can't win with flavor then go for volume!

Share Post

13 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

My bus ride was around 45 minutes as well yet my mom made me ride it anyway.  Damn it, should have called CPS.

Thank you.   I guess my mom was abusive, too.   And she even had the audacity to rather aggressively suggest that I spend that extra time on the bus studying, particularly when my GPA wasn't what it could have been.  Clearly, I have some healing to do from my painful past.

As for the food this morning, WOW.  Bacon, sausage, honey ham, and sticky buns?  The sticky buns alone had to be 600 calories each.  Maybe Lad(d) can get away with eating a 1,500 calorie breakfast every morning, but as for the rest of us . . . no.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again: This show is basically an ad for the "Merc" now.  She used to work it casually into her monologues, but it's pretty constant (and utterly shameless) at this point.  And the rich get richer . . . 

Edited by SuzyLee.

Share Post

Ugh.  I will have to catch up on this episode later, but will probably fast forward through most of it.  It honestly sounds awful.  I don't love brunches and big breakfasts, so right off the bat it holds about zero culinary interest for me.  Also, I already know how to cook eggs and fry bacon (roll eyes).  

Maybe I'll just use it as an exercise in tallying up the fat and calorie count in a Ree Drummond meal?  I do this every so often with her more horrifying shows just to amuse myself.

Share Post

I don't know. Today's episode seemed far-fetched even for Ree. I think maybe the show's producer had a hand in story.  I can easily see this same lame "plot" showing up on Barefoot Contessa.

Ina: Hmmm ... it seems that whenever Jeffrey goes for walks on the beach or around town, he's been stopping just a little too often at the bakery for (insert whatever.) I'm going to see if I can compete with that and keep him at home more. Speaking of (pause) ... I wonder what Jeffrey's up to right now?

Whatever the case may be, it was a boring episode and my arteries hardened just watching it.

Me thinks that maybe there are other reasons why Ladd is choosing to eat breakfast in town. His retinas probably need the occasional break from his wife' clown red hair and clashing fugly flowy top. Ree must have had her hair recently recolored because it was off-the-color charts today.

Anyway, Ina and Jeffrey are fun and enjoyable to watch together. Ladd and Ree, not so much.  Ree strikes me as the type who'd sit and talk non-stop with the snarky comments all the while nagging and fishing for compliments under the thin veneer of self-deprecating humor.  All the while, Ladd chews, nods and grunts as he stares out the kitchen window seeking greener pastures.

Share Post

7 hours ago, grisgris said:

All the while, Ladd chews, nods and grunts as he stares out the kitchen window seeking greener pastures.

"Ladd looked out the window, then down at his plate. Sure he loved the kids. And Ree - her too; her too, he loved. But when he looked down at his plate, Ladd wondered if it was enough. This plate full of meat slathered in herb butter, oozing grease onto the cheesy mashed potatoes - their burnt potato edges weeping fat and curling up like dead earwigs --  well, a man sees that, and he has to have himself a think. He has to set to using his brain for more than just adding up cattle sold. And lately, whenever he looks out the lodge window - out over the green, green grass -- he sees himself as he wishes to be, and then becomes; astride a mustang riding east, with Ree's best dress and heels in his saddle bag.  "RuPaul's Drag Race" he hears himself say above the horse hooves pounding, biting his lip nervously. He hopes the queens will accept his presence on their reality show, accept his meager offering -- lip syncing to "Good Eats" -- just two words, but he's put his heart into not sashaying away. "May the best woman win!" he says, the mustang kicking and bucking, his pride at full measure. "May the best woman win!"

Also: Ree's episode including a recipe for sriracha popcorn is TOTAL BULLSHIT. She actually devoted a segment to making POPCORN?

I quote directly: "So for popping the corn, I throw corn into a pan with hot vegetable oil, get the lid on and wait. And then, when the popping starts, I shake it."

OMG WHAT? I NEVER ONCE CONSIDERED THE PUT-CORN-IN-POT-THEN-PUT-LID-ON-POT-THEN-SHAKE-WHEN-IT-BEGINS-TO-POP METHOD!!

Shake it, Ree; shake it like a Polaroid picture (of Ladd as Dandy Grrl, his drag queen self).

Edited by film noire.

Share Post

Folks, it could be for real.  Given what she's feeding him, he's probably spending lots of time with his lawyers in town, getting his estate in order.  Or desperately trying to go through cholesterol detox.

Share Post

OMG WHAT? I NEVER ONCE CONSIDERED THE PUT-CORN-IN-POT-THEN-PUT-LID-ON-POT-THEN-SHAKE-WHEN-IT-BEGINS-TO-POP METHOD!!

WHAT?? OMG this is groundbreaking. Did you alert the press? Why, this could change the very fabric of time and space! This is truly Science's latest triumph. What miracle will she come up with next? I need to sit down.

Share Post

5 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

Or desperately trying to go through cholesterol detox.

Poor Ladd -- trying to slip away to eat the breakfast he makes and hides from Ree; a mound of non-fat cottage cheese with a canned cling peach on top. 

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

WHAT?? OMG this is groundbreaking. Did you alert the press? Why, this could change the very fabric of time and space! This is truly Science's latest triumph. What miracle will she come up with next? I need to sit down.

LOL

If it hasn't happened already, I'm guessing The Merc will soon be selling "Ree's Best Kernels o'Corn" (with "directions" for Ree's special popcorn makin' ways).

Edited by film noire.

Share Post

If it hasn't happened already, I'm guessing The Merc will soon be selling "Ree's Best Kernels o'Corn" (with "directions" for Ree's special popcorn makin' ways).

Wouldn't surprise me. There's an 800 number on the side of the Cool Whip container. "Okay, I have the Cool Whip, I have the pie, WHAT DO?"

Share Post

Ladd's breakfast show was worse than anticipated.  Really, really boring food.  The only thing that was comical was that she flipped her sticky buns FROM one of her Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pans INTO another Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pan.  If you want to make his recipe, fans, you have to buy two of her pans as well as be able to easily lift 40 pounds. I'm kind of surprised she doesn't have a deal going with the cable companies for a "buy now" button at the bottom of the screen!

And if you haven't seen the show yet, friends, don your sun glasses -Ree just had her color done.  grisgris did warn us, and I should have listened.

What a stark contrast this was to Ina's new pasta episode that aired today, where I literally want to make and eat every recipe.

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

20 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

Ladd's breakfast show was worse than anticipated.  Really, really boring food.  The only thing that was comical was that she flipped her sticky buns FROM one of her Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pans INTO another Pioneer Woman cast iron fry pan.  If you want to make his recipe, fans, you have to buy two of her pans as well as be able to easily lift 40 pounds. I'm kind of surprised she doesn't have a deal going with the cable companies for a "buy now" button at the bottom of the screen!

And if you haven't seen the show yet, friends, don your sun glasses -Ree just had her color done.  grisgris did warn us, and I should have listened.

What a stark contrast this was to Ina's new pasta episode that aired today, where I literally want to make and eat every recipe.

Ian's pasta show was amazing.  I'm rediscovering my love of  pasta and,  Oh my,  everything  looked delicious! 

Ree's breakfast was so boring lots of meat potatoes and eggs... Whew,  Who'd of thunk it! 

Last week or a couple weeks ago Ree made her strawberry gazpacho.  Food Network followed that with Ina making her traditional gazpacho lol. 

Edited by imjagain.

Share Post

It was a shitshow.  Do we really need to watch her fry bacon, sausage or ham?  It's pretty self explanatory, not to mention that we've seen each of these numerous times already.

Share Post

21 hours ago, anneofcleves said:

And I could deal with the hair if she managed her skin color better, no tan, no blush, no tinted foundation just pure geisha level whiteness.  She's past white and is moving to translucent; she's going toward clear and not in the crazy Scientology sense.  Somebody really needs to take her aside and help her manage the hair/skin/makeup balance.

As for the show - I usually like just watching, half paying attention to see what she'll come up with.  Once in a blue moon something pops up where I think maybe I'll try that.  But this time, it was a half hour show for only one true recipe (the buns).  The potatoes weren't really a recipe, the ham even less (brush on honey aaannnnnd - done) and the rest came down to take out of package slap into skillet.  She managed to make her show into five minutes of "cooking" and 20 minutes of merc commercial. 

Edited by sigmaforce86. Reason: or and of are not the same thing!

Share Post

I'm 12 and beyond bored with what most of Ree does.  So when she kept talking about the crispy bits in the potatoes, in my mind I heard Austin Powers saying "dangly bits" and I laughed and laughed.

I also laughed at Ladd being so hungry after "feeding."  Just like he's the vampire I always thought he was.

Share Post

It's becoming more and more difficult for me to think of Ree's show as a cooking show.  With the increasing presence of Ladd and the increasing emphasis on the Merc, it seems like the cooking parts of the show are on the back burner, so to speak.  It's also been a while since Ree has introduced me to new, fun or exciting recipes that I want to run to the kitchen and try.  I find that most of her offerings are things that I already make in some form, so my only "entertainment" is watching her make them.  With her addition to everything with a lot of heat, though, I have no desire to make any of her dishes at home.  We enjoy a little "heat," but not Ree's level of heat!

The constant screen shots and chatter about the Merc make me feel that I'm watching a 30-minute ad.  When will you begin to cook some original, never-seen-before recipes, Ree?  The Merc is not the gourmet capitol of the U.S. or even of Oklahoma, so stop talking about its incredible menu as if it's something that would rival the menu of a real restaurant of note!  The best you can say about it is that the portions are large.  You've said it and shown it -- now, move on!

Share Post

On 6/16/2017 at 3:19 AM, Lura said:

It's becoming more and more difficult for me to think of Ree's show as a cooking show.  With the increasing presence of Ladd and the increasing emphasis on the Merc, it seems like the cooking parts of the show are on the back burner, so to speak.  It's also been a while since Ree has introduced me to new, fun or exciting recipes that I want to run to the kitchen and try.  I find that most of her offerings are things that I already make in some form, so my only "entertainment" is watching her make them.  With her addition to everything with a lot of heat, though, I have no desire to make any of her dishes at home.  We enjoy a little "heat," but not Ree's level of heat!

The constant screen shots and chatter about the Merc make me feel that I'm watching a 30-minute ad.  When will you begin to cook some original, never-seen-before recipes, Ree?  The Merc is not the gourmet capitol of the U.S. or even of Oklahoma, so stop talking about its incredible menu as if it's something that would rival the menu of a real restaurant of note!  The best you can say about it is that the portions are large.  You've said it and shown it -- now, move on!

Has Ree ever produced a recipe that seemed truly new and something that was truly her own?  I'm genuinely curious.

I know that, like with music, cooks borrow from each other and reinvent or update old versions, but that's all Ree seems to do.  Most of her offerings are direct rip offs with no attribution to the source or history of them.  Rarely, she'll give a nod to Missy (the sugar cookie tarts), or a friend, but most of the time she's presenting it on her show like "Looky what I came up with."  Most recently I noticed her taking smug credit for "elevating" canned tomato soup, and in particular her world famous "Seven Can (Death by Sodium) Soup."

I think her recent 'competition for Ladd's attention' show, where she's showing us how to assemble a standard breakfast platter put me over the edge.  She's pretty much an infomercial for her brand, the ranch, the Merc, Walmart, and Ford trucks.  She may smile constantly with her "aw shucks" smirk, but more and more she comes off as being, simply and shamelessly, greedy.  I'm fine with people making lots of money for what they do well, but she doesn't even do it well.

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

Hahahahahaha.  In today's episode making brunch for Chuck, she passed off a Michelle Duggar recipe as her own!  My daughter and I were watching her make her  famous apple dumplings and my daughter recognized the recipe from Ma Duggar's collection (amazing Semi Ho by the way if you happen to google).  

Ree changed a few thing up, like not melting the sugar completely, used a little more butter (of course), and added some vanilla.  But it was ingredient for ingredient, right down to the Mountain Dew, a rip off.  A rip off of a recipe that would make Sandra Lee blush.  Yes, fans of The Merc, this is your culinary goddess.

Hahahahahahaaaa.  Jim Bob should sue!!  

Michelle Duggar's Apple Dumplings (http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/duggars-snacking-secrets-plus-michelles-recipe-homemade-apple-dumplings/)

2-3 cans crescent rolls (or biscuits)

3-4 apples (peeled & cut into chunks)

1 1/2 sticks butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 t. cinnamon

1 can (12 oz.) Mountain Dew (or 7-Up)

Flatten biscuits with hands; put apple chunks in and pinch sides shut. Place in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350? for 10-15 min (until they are no longer gooey). In small saucepan, melt butter, sugar and cinnamon. Pour over dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over all. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!

Edited by anneofcleves.

Share Post

Nobody likes a spoil sport, I know, but legally, Ree's recipe is her own.  It is not considered to be a copy of the Duggar recipe because [1} she has included other ingredients, (2) she has reworded the directions.  Still, I think most people would agree that any prominent cook with a TV show of her own would try much harder to make her recipes at least appear to be original!  Ree has no shame.  If she can steal a few bucks under the table from a fellow cook, she'll do it.  (Notice how she claimed her mother made this dish for years.)  That could be.  I think the whole thing hinges on the fact that if Ree had a little more class and were not so transparent about grabbing for dollars, most people wouldn't care.

Anne of Cleves, you and your daughter would make Sherlock Holmes proud!  LOL

ETA:  I just googled "Mountain Dew recipes," and the very first one is from the Food Network, but it's someone else's, not Ree's.  She really has no shame!

http://www.food.com/recipe/mountain-dew-apple-dumplings-61755

Edited by Lura.

Share Post

What in the fresh hell did I just watch?

Once again ... with those grits ... STOP! ENOUGH! LESS IS MORE!!! Cream, jalapenos, bacon, a boatload of cheddar cheese, then mascarpone!!! Actually, Ree pronounced it "mars-car-pony," which had all of the mis/pronunciation bases covered.

I know that my mom was rolling in her grave at the horrible crime committed against a beautiful rib roast.  That was Mom's all time favorite meat and to "f" it up with spices of any type was gut-wrenching. Ree even said that she typically would just use salt and pepper. Then she mentioned seasoning salt. But don't stop there ...

Those apple things looked truly disgusting and I can't imagine anybody with a taste bud mistaking canned dough drenched in sugar and soda pop for some "fancy French dessert." Jacques Pepin/Julia Child vs. Michelle Duggar/Ree Drummond --  I don't think so.

I can't listen to Chuck talk for very long because I always have a involuntary need to clear my throat.   A thought crossed my mind where I pictured the Chuck and Ladd knocking back some Buds and watching old DVDs of "Dallas" and studying scenes with Jim Davis and Larry Hagman, slapping their hands and chortling, "We got this!" in anticipation of filming this episode.. /eyeroll.

I am now convinced more than ever that Ree not only wants to knock-off Ladd but Chuck, as well. She's been working on Edna Mae slowly and who knows what she has in mind for Nan. The Creepy Clown Serial Killer of Osage County strikes again!

Share Post

I know that my mom was rolling in her grave at the horrible crime committed against a beautiful rib roast.  

And how many people can afford to hack up a rib roast for "breakfast steaks?" And I sort of (barely) get adding sugar to a spice rub to help with caramelization, but it seems like the amount of sugar added was nearly equal to the amount of spices. The ratio seems off and you'd probably end up with a super sweet steak. 

While the apple dumplings were super Semi-Ho, Aunt Sandy would have figured out a way to get apple brandy into the recipe to enhance the apple flavor. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

While the apple dumplings were super Semi-Ho, Aunt Sandy would have figured out a way to get apple brandy into the recipe to enhance the apple flavor. 

Aunt Sandy would do a quality control check on the apple brandy -  drinking a few shot glasses full & then add the rest to the dumplings.  She had an attention to detail.  ;)                                              

Share Post

I almost forgot something from yesterday's episode that also chapped (get it! hee!) my you-know-what.

Ree mistook Kansas City for St. Louis when she was mutilating Chuck's already not-funny story about putting some kid on a cattle train. Them's fightin' (hee! get it, again?) words up here in the NE part of the state. There is a HUGE rivalry between Kansas City and St. Louis.

Back during my craziest most cringeworthy days on TWoP, I worked for a company in St. Louis in their Kansas City office. I frequently had to make the boring 4-hour trek eastward across the state to go to the home office. Every summer I had to show up for the company outing for a Cardinals game. One time, by the short straw, the Cards were playing the KC Royals. This was when the Cardinals were good and the Royals sucked. I was prepared for the humiliation. Ha! Ha! The Royals soundly beat the redbirds.

Anyway, Ree (peat) if you're trying to suck up anyway, have the good sense (and manners) to let the old geezer tell his story. That was flat-out embarrassing.

Share Post

On 6/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, anneofcleves said:

Hahahahahaha.  In today's episode making brunch for Chuck, she passed off a Michelle Duggar recipe as her own!  

Who is to say Michelle Duggar created it?   Just because TLC put it on their website under Michelle's name does not mean she developed it.

At this point, there are no totally original recipes by anyone.

Share Post

17 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Who is to say Michelle Duggar created it?   Just because TLC put it on their website under Michelle's name does not mean she developed it.

Ree?

Share Post

I have come to the conclusion that Ree makes up little stories when she cooks, designed to show us how savvy she is, and a case in point is the sugar in the steak rub.  While I doubt that a little sugar in the rub could make much difference, I can't see how a small amount would affect the caramelization one iota.  I think that Ree tells these little white lies to appear to be more knowledgeable than her audience.  With a decent rub and some searing heat, steaks will caramelize beautifully with or without sugar.  We all know that Ree is a sugar addict -- and she's admitted it herself.  My own solution to Ree's constant add-ons is to use her recipe as a guide, using all of her basic ingredients, eliminating any ingredient if it doesn't seem to fit into my or my family's tastes.  It actually gives me a sense of satisfaction to "de-Ree" one of her recipes!                                                                                                                                         

Edited by Drogo. Reason: Removed blank space.

Share Post

13 hours ago, Lura said:

My own solution to Ree's constant add-ons is to use her recipe as a guide, using all of her basic ingredients, eliminating any ingredient if it doesn't seem to fit into my or my family's tastes.  It actually gives me a sense of satisfaction to "de-Ree" one of her recipes!                                                                                                                                         

No Reecipes for you ; )

On 6/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, anneofcleves said:

Ree?

LOL

Share Post

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, smiley13 said:

Both of those idiots claimed the recipe as "their own"

Share Post

I'm not sure which looked more disgusting today, the nasty enchiladas or the "perfect" chili. I guess I'll give the win to the enchiladas.

Maybe I missed it- what was up with the blast to the past this episode?

Share Post

The segment on the cheese enchiladas begins:  "Now I've been heating up the enchilada sauce.  It smells so good.  It's such a beautiful color, too.  And I'm just putting a little bit in the bottom of a big pan."

WHAT enchilada sauce???  God dammit this woman drives me insane.

Share Post

This post is off topic.  I'm sorry, Lisin, but I'm so depressed that I needed to share.  I learned last night that "Farmhouse Rules" is being cancelled.  It's my favorite show.  Nancy Fuller does everything right that Ree Drummond does wrong.  Her recipes are honestly delicious, and they're not hard to make.  Her recipe for short ribs is easy and would impress the most critical of your guests.  Nancy doesn't act silly anymore.  She's warm and inviting and very down to earth.  She's really the only good cook we have -- I mean, HAD.  The people at Scripps don't know what they're doing to people who long to learn more about cooking and who long for more good tried-and-true recipes.  Nancy is like Anne Burrell -- a born teacher.

Share Post

Wow! Thanks, Lura, for letting us know. I kept wondering when new episodes would appear.

I am disappointed but not surprised. Nancy's show doesn't fit into whatever FN believes their target demographic is.  It could also just be a case of having the natural shelf life expire on the show.

I'll miss the actual cooking but little else. I was sick to death of seeing the extended family. It also makes me wonder if it wasn't a personal decision of Nancy and David as much as it was by FN.  It was never blatantly obvious, but I always took away that David wasn't actually thrilled with life in front of the camera. I could be completely wrong. It's just an impression I got.

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The segment on the cheese enchiladas begins:  "Now I've been heating up the enchilada sauce.  It smells so good.  It's such a beautiful color, too.  And I'm just putting a little bit in the bottom of a big pan."

WHAT enchilada sauce???  God dammit this woman drives me insane.

Oh, I guess it was just a given. Ree uses Old El Paso enchilada sauce out of the can. Usually, she mixes the red and green sauces together because she can't ever decide which one she prefers.

I now give you permission to roll your eyes.

Share Post

Thanks, grisgris.  I never got the same impression of David's reluctance that you did, but you could well be right.  As for the kids, I've had the same feelings occasionally, but then I really love watching the youngest ones, especially that little girl, and seeing her usually changes my attitude.  :) 

I wish that Ree would watch Nancy's show or had seen Anne Burrell's show.  She might have gotten a taste of what it means to be a COOKING SHOW host!  Ree la-la-lah's through her canned sauces and soups, making her infernal Mexican dishes, throwing herself at Ladd and his family, and playing The Incredible Mom to her sugar-loving children and thinks she's the most popular wife and mother to hit the television screen.  In reality, she is a buffoon with all the sense of a pea.  She pours admiration all over her dad and mentions her mom only when she's giving the history of a recipe.  I have a wicked idea.  A buncha us should raid her house in the middle of the night and cut her red hair off with barely an inch remaining.  Ladd would be applauding and yelling "Good job, girls!"  We could send a Molotov Cocktail through the front door of the Merc as we gun our vehicle out of town, performing two good deeds in one night!

Meantime, is anyone interested in signing a petition for Nancy Fuller?  I'll bet I get no takers on that request!  I might post one in Nancy's forum in case some of you are willing to help me.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Share Post

21 hours ago, Lura said:

Meantime, is anyone interested in signing a petition for Nancy Fuller?  I'll bet I get no takers on that request!  I might post one in Nancy's forum in case some of you are willing to help me.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

I think I only saw a segment of the show  - and in passing -- but I'll sign it just for you, Lura ; )

Share Post

On 6/10/2017 at 10:27 AM, anneofcleves said:

Also, I already know how to cook eggs and fry bacon (roll eyes).  

Maybe I'll just use it as an exercise in tallying up the fat and calorie count in a Ree Drummond meal?  I do this every so often with her more horrifying shows just to amuse myself.

Yes, but do you know how to do it with adding on so much fat and sugar? She put so much honey on one slice of ham, it looked like a tablespoon. I use 3 tbls when I'm making a 1/4 ham! 

Please do tally it up.

eta: those dumplings - "fine French dessert" my ass.

I've also noticed that she's using more phrases like "my goodness gracious." I wonder if they all fainted when Chuck said "damn"?

Chuck's stories aren't funny unless you're related to him.

Edited by txvoodoo. Reason: adding things

Share Post

3 hours ago, txvoodoo said:

I've also noticed that she's using more phrases like "my goodness gracious." I wonder if they all fainted when Chuck said "damn"?

Chuck's stories aren't funny unless you're related to him.

LOL.  I about died.  Honestly, I can't understand him most of the time, but I did hear "damn."  

Chuck needs subtitles.

Share Post