All Episodes Talk: Guide To Surviving Broadcast Television

I really expected this to suck. Viscous reviews seem to suggest most critics still DO think it sucked. But... Unexpectedly I kind of liked it.

I know. I was shocked. 

Aspects were dumb dude-bro-ish stuff, but there were also elements of favorite stuff from the back of my consciousness like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and from TV, Parker Lewis Can't Lose.  And I thought it successfully pulled off the unique variant of proto-Dude-Bro that movie and TV did back decades ago. Wry sarcastic narrator, speaking in the first person directly to us--breaking the fourth wall. Check. Irresponsible lifestyle/wacky antics. Check. A someone more serious/put on side character (the brother in this case). Check. The hot unattainable girl. Check.

This won't strain anyone's brain to be sure, but for what it was, it wasn't bad at all. 

Share Post

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

I generally liked it as well, and I was also surprised by that. It's not going to be a new fave, but it was pretty entertaining and even a little original with the two year tv quest and all. I'll watch a few more episodes, see if it stays amusing.

Share Post

I generally liked it as well, and I was also surprised by that. It's not going to be a new fave, but it was pretty entertaining and even a little original with the two year tv quest and all. I'll watch a few more episodes, see if it stays amusing.

More than that, narratively we got in a single episode quite an unexpectedly large view of what happens in our characters lives. We know Cooper doesn't hook up with the girl, for example, so there won't be much will they or won't they if any of the show is set in that period. We know Cooper keeps the same lame job until the latest point of the episode. We know the brother doesn't piss off his wife bad enough to be divorced. There are probably things about the other characters revealed I didn't note close enough as well.

Of course that will be academic if Episode 2 simply takes off from the time period at the end of Episode 1. Which is fine if it does. Even a single episode fooling around with the usual narrative conventions is interesting. But it would be a real kick if the entire series is spread around this whole period in a similar way.

Share Post

Nope -- didn't make it 10 minutes.  I found the main character boring, the little one irritating and the black one obnoxious.  Putting this anywhere near the fantastic PLCL is heresy!

Share Post

I seem to be the only one who liked the Pilot, but even I think this episode was a big step down.

Paula Abdul was where they totally lost me.

Share Post

Ratings have been solid enough thus far to warrant a renewal over The Grinder and Grandfathered. Fox would have New Girl, B99, Cooper, and likely Last Man in live action and Bobs Burgers, Simpsons, and Family Guy in animated. I personally wouldn't renew Bordertown and just order one or two new comedies and keep the total at 8. That would take care of Sunday's and Tuesday's. I then would bid heavily on the TNF package so that's three days covered. Have rosewood and scream queens timeshare Wednesday's at 8 to pair with Empire and that's 4 days. Keep Friday unscripted and have Gotham and a new show on Monday's. This way you're only promotions series premieres for no more than 2 shows in the fall and if they order three comedic pilots they can shuffle the chairs a bit and have one new one premiere each in Tuesday and Thursday in the spring along with a new drama on Thursday.

But that makes so much sense that you know it won't happen.

Share Post

I like absurdist comedies that break the fourth wall, like "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" or "Better Off Ted," but this is just bad. The main character should be charismatic, but Cooper is dull. There's nothing that suggests he should be the "leader" of his friends.

Share Post

Why are none of the episodes shown in the right order? It really confuses continuity.

Share Post

Pretty sure they're going to cancel it, and are just getting rid of the already-taped episodes. It had some potential, but never really took off. 

Share Post

And it's over. I wonder if they'll ever show the remaining episodes. 

Share Post

On 5/13/2016 at 5:02 AM, Superclam said:

And it's over. I wonder if they'll ever show the remaining episodes. 

I think they just had a couple new episodes.

On 4/4/2016 at 3:49 PM, portfino said:

Why are none of the episodes shown in the right order? It really confuses continuity.

I agree...that was really annoying.

Share Post

The episodes are available on demand, for Time Warner in NYC. I was going to watch them last night, but I just couldn't get myself interested. 

Share Post

So Cooper and Kelly got together.  It seems odd that they would have ended the "will they, won't they" so quickly if the show was coming back, though.  At the same time, I can't imagine Fox would have paid for an additional scene to be shot, so I have to assume that was what they were going with.  Any insight on what the season 2 plan might have been, had there been one?

Share Post