In Memoriam: All Seasons Talk

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Love Callum Blue--always a smile whenever I happen to see him in anything--because of DLM. Remember the purple post-it that so freaked Mason out? Wonderful!

Opposite for Eric McCormack--I still see the evil in his eyes--even when he's playing a "good" guy.

Been years since I've watched any episodes. Just looked at Amazon DVDs for DLM--prices all over the place for the complete series and the separate seasons, with or without the movie (that I never saw).

Share Post

A week ago, I was listening to the excellent soundtrack, which apparently has now led to a rewatch project of at least the first season. I'm up now to episode six. Here are a few thoughts:

- The pilot episode is just really beautifully done. Funny, heartbreaking, thought-provoking. To this day, it's probably one of my favorite pilot episodes ever. My favorite scene is probably the scene in which George meets Rube and Betty for the first time, though I do also love the scene with George and Joy at the yardsale.

- I know, Bryan Fuller really fought to keep Rebecca Gayheart on the show and she was really good as Betty, but I feel like Laura Harris and Daisy brought so much more to the show. But maybe I only feel this way, because Betty was written out so early that we didn't get to see her interact that much with the other characters.

- Christine Willes is just such a delight as Delores. I wonder if George was always supposed to go back to working at Happy Time or whether they just decided to keep Christine Willes around after they shot the pilot episode.

- The shift after Bryan Fuller left is pretty noticeable. Whereas the first five episodes try to set up a Reaper mythology, everything after episode five is more focused on the emotional journeys of the characters.

- Roxy is missing from a lot of episodes in season one. Weren't they able to pay for her or did they just not know what to do with her? Either way, Roxy is a great character. Love her scenes with George in episode three, when George decides to go back to her family. Watching her in those early season 1 episode also emphasises once again how out of character she was written to be in the movie.

- The Joy/Reggie relationship is so well written and I like how Reggie is such a mirror of George. I wonder though how Reggie behaved before George died. The toilet tree is disturbing, yet kind of a nice tribute to George.

- I love whenever Rube gets to interact with people outside of the reapers, like with Delores or Joy.

- The only character that never really popped was George's Dad. Might have been different if Bryan Fuller had stayed and been able to do the 'gay Dad' storyline, but since they changed that, it was probably a good idea to write him off after the first season.

Share Post

I totally adore this show. It dealt with death and the trauma of grief in a realistic way. When I see a marathon on I always check in. The closest show to it was Pushing Daisies.

Share Post

This is one of my favourite shows. I need to set my newer DVR to record any marathons that might air, like I used to. They would show up at the perfect time.

Share Post

I've been watching the series again on Comet TV.  I really missed this show--it was so dark and funny at the same time.

Share Post

Reggie is so downbeat. I know she's grieving for her sister, but I didn't think about it until just now that she's really just like Georgia.

Share Post

I half named my dog after George (but it's such a great name with so many cool people and characters named it).IMG_1548.PNG

thats george ^

Share Post

I really like Callum Blue's character, Mason. He may be be an opportunist and a hedonist, but he's very caring -- and entertaining.

Share Post

On 10/9/2017 at 3:32 AM, SarahPrtr said:

I think fans are divided about this, but I really missed Betty.

I loved both Betty and Daisy, they both bring lightness in different ways. I would have loved for Betty to return too. Too bad they didn't think of her when they were unable to get Laura Harris for that damn movie.

Share Post

I liked Betty. 

I really miss this show. I started watching it when my mum went into the hospital, and I found it on Amazon Prime, and watched the rest of it after she died. I still have trouble saying that. Last weekend was the anniversary of her going into the hospital. I watched DLM with mum, on DVD, eleven years ago. As soon as I watched the opening of the pilot, I knew mum would like it, so I asked her if she wanted to watch it with me, and started it again. 

I'm going to see if I can find it on cable. I don't think I have comet TV. I wish it was still on Amazon, or on Netflix. I have this weird attachment to this show.

Share Post

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I liked Betty. 

I really miss this show. I started watching it when my mum went into the hospital, and I found it on Amazon Prime, and watched the rest of it after she died. I still have trouble saying that. Last weekend was the anniversary of her going into the hospital. I watched DLM with mum, on DVD, eleven years ago. As soon as I watched the opening of the pilot, I knew mum would like it, so I asked her if she wanted to watch it with me, and started it again. 

I'm going to see if I can find it on cable. I don't think I have comet TV. I wish it was still on Amazon, or on Netflix. I have this weird attachment to this show.

It is really nice that you shared this show with your Mom. 

Share Post

On 6/29/2018 at 11:56 PM, Anela said:

I didn't watch the show when it was on Showtime, because I couldn't afford the premium channels. However, I just got rid of cable and went to antenna and streaming. I have been watching a lot of stuff on Hulu, and ran across this show. All 29 episodes are on Hulu. I think I just started the second season. 

Sorry about your mom. 

Share Post