S03.E06: Reduced to Eating Boiled Magazines and Book Paste 2015.12.13

Series Finale :(

DiDi takes to the picket lines in a last-ditch effort to save Billy Barnes; Jenna tries to get out of a hastily made offer; Patsy and Margueritte share secrets; Dawn inadvertently sets a chain of events in motion that seals the fate of the ward.

Share Post

Jenna: There is no justice, but there is mercy. That's what we can give.

Great finale.

And Janis Ian!

Share Post

Amazing finale. Marguerite coming out as trans came out of left field, but I didn't mind it. Patsy was an ass, like always. And Jenna still gave Dawn her kidney, even though she found out what a bullshitter she was and that she was intentionally making her situation worse. What a gal. I'm going to miss this show.

Share Post

I felt sad for Didi.  When she was railing against management and not feeling empowered, I'm guessing that extends to her personal life as well.  I hope she's able to take back her power, both professionally and personally (and why am I talking about the character as if she's real???  Testament to a great show, I guess).

When Ron came running around the corner SHIRTLESS while holding Dr. James, I laughed so hard that the cough I've almost recovered from came back!!!  Did I see romantic sparks between the 2?

It was heartwarming to see Dawn appreciating all of the people in her life (Didi, Patsy, Dennis, Uncle).  Maybe she's growing up.  Finally.

Edited by CouchTater.

Share Post

Nice finale. Burning the place to the ground (perhaps not literally) was perfect.

Loved shirtless Ron carrying Jenna. So funny. And Patsy having a panic attack and being pulled along the floors by the other nurses was great too.

I thought that might be Janis Ian but I wasn't sure. I watched the credits to make sure.

Share Post

Jenna, "Dawn, Dawn, look at me. I like when you watch me, when I talk."

DiDi, "Do she like the way she look, or did she just run out of money?"

Share Post

Nice finale. Burning the place to the ground (perhaps not literally) was perfect.

And it was Dawn's wedding ring that caused the whole thing.

Share Post

I was glad Didi turned in Patsy for inquiring about Marguerite's "tiny penis." A little payback for when she was written up on his first day there for saying he handled the situation well "for a big fat fairy."

Share Post

What was Patsy trying to do by hacking up the piano with an axe?

Jenna: "Pull with your back, Dawn!!! . . . Good idea, Dawn! Push, push, push, push! Use your legs!"

Share Post

Magnificent finale for this wonderful series. Hysterical AND poignant.

Wished the show could have gone on forever. There was so much truth in it. About the health care system and human nature. It was always brilliantly written, filmed and performed. What a gem of a series.

And go Didi. Niecy Nash gets some of the best lines and just nails them.

Share Post

This might be one of the best series finales I've ever seen. I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more. Shirtless Ron carrying Jenna out of the burning building might have been a cheap laugh on a lesser show but they managed to strike just the right balance between realistic and absurd.

Share Post

I loved when (paraphrasing) Jenna told Didi to just let Billie Barnes die, and not make it linger as it suffered. I feel that's probably what many of the patients they cared for felt about their own final days/hours.

It was a wonderful finale.

Share Post

What was Patsy trying to do by hacking up the piano with an axe?

That was hysterical. I guess he knew firefighters used axes but didn't know what to do with one, so... chop up the piano. BTW, did Patsy have anything to do with bringing the piano into Billie Barnes in the first place? (I can't remember that far back.)

Share Post

I loved when (paraphrasing) Jenna told Didi to just let Billie Barnes die, and not make it linger as it suffered.

And also (paraphrasing) "We fought hard to save this place but it wasn't enough."  I felt like they were talking about saving the show itself.

Share Post

So now we know why they say you shouldn't put metal in a microwave!

Still not clear that while Dawn was sabotaging her health , her worsening conniption would have put her at the top of the transplant list. Yet she as still trolling among the staff for a donor kidney.  Is a living transplant a better bet than a cadaver one?

Edited by LuciaMia.

Share Post

This show is/was magnificent, and its diversity knows no bounds, it's just awesome. But that's HBO, and that's why I watch most of their programming.

I wish they could find a way to bring it back. I think they've done that with a show or two, given it another chance somewhere down the line. 

I said it once and I'll say it again, I hope Hollywood gives Metcalf and this show some acknowledgement. 

Yep, this was the line of the night and I teared up a bit when she said it. 

And also (paraphrasing) "We fought hard to save this place but it wasn't enough."  I felt like they were talking about saving the show itself.

Yep I did too, in addition to what she was saying to Rita Moreno's character about getting the word out on social media etc.. people are just not interested in old women....I thought that scene was about the show as well.

Edited by represent.

Share Post

What a sublime finale. I wept because I knew I was saying goodbye to old friends.

And Patsy having a panic attack and being pulled along the floors by the other nurses was great too.

And then when safe, standing up and hissing "don't coddle me" and stalking off. Aw, Pats, don't ever change.

All I want for Christmas is for this series to find a new home.

Share Post

I was so tense the entire episode... I kept expecting the place to blow and they would all die.  Which would have been kind of a fun end for the show.

Niecy Nash is so awesome.  I hope this is the start of an Oscar winning trajectory for her.

Share Post

I completely enjoyed the episode, but I was somewhat sad/distracted during the show because I knew it was the final show.  So, I kind of watched it in a grieving state.  I am going to rewatch it.  Even with the state I was in, I managed to belly laugh at several scenes.  I will definitely write to HBO and let them know what a great show it  was.  It never dissapointed me, from the writing to the acting.  Everything was completely flawless.  There is so much crap on tv that gets recognized every day and yet somehow this show was never mentioned or promoted.  I feel as if I have lost friends.  I usually don't connect with shows on this level.  I guess that is a testament to the actors making the characters appear real.

Share Post

I actually waited until last night (48 whole hours!) to watch the finale because ... well, to extend its life in my warped mind. I love this show beyond belief.

What an amazing, amazing episode ... to echo others, I laughed, I wept, I fell in love with DiDi all over again like I do every episode, but especially her face framed in the door ... she is so beautiful!

I also loved the cameo (is it a cameo when you're on throughout the show?) by Janis Ian. Her voice is still so beautiful ... also (because I notice these things anyway but especially with this show this season), obviously a lot more music than usual but glad that it was a music supervisor/coordinator's dream of not probably having to worry about getting any of the rights cleared!!!

I would give anything for them to come up with a way to revive this series ... and hoping that the subplot of them all moving to (can't remember the name of the hospital where Rita Moreno works) gives them that flicker of hope for continuity!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap.

Share Post

Nobody noticed that one of the patients was played by Janis Ian? The songs should have been a dead giveaway. 

Share Post

Nobody noticed that one of the patients was played by Janis Ian?

Three people mentioned it above so...

Share Post

Was this show cancelled? is the English version still on? my favorite comedy ever.

Share Post

Was this show cancelled? is the English version still on? my favorite comedy ever.

It's done on HBO, and the British series on which it is based (also titled Getting On) is available to watch on Hulu. :-D

Share Post

My favorite lines in this episode were the small ones.  Jenna’s “Oh god” when Dawn calls Patsy into the group hug and Didi’s “Oh shit” when Patsy got up and said “Don’t coddle me” were so perfect.  Damn I’m going to miss this show.

Share Post

My favorite lines in this episode were the small ones.  Jenna’s “Oh god” when Dawn calls Patsy into the group hug

I died laughing. But even funnier for me was each and every one of Jenna's reactions to Janis Ian's character singing, OMG, just hilarious.  Especially when Jenna turns around and sees her sitting closer to her office when a minute ago she was sitting to her right on the other side of the hall and she does the laugh/cry saying "How did she get over there?..." Then giving in and singing because Rita Moreno's character, being her future employer starts to sing along.

Just the best television.

Edited by represent.

Share Post

Great finale.

And Janis Ian!

I came here to ask who the beautiful voiced one was... I know the song is janis Ian's but just didn't put it together. What a delightful in joke! Of course she's old enough now... My fave commercial right now is a hippie dancing then pausing to a sa"if you were a hippy during the age of Aquarius, you should know there's new hope for osteoporosis!"

I thought it was hilarious how she kept singing these downer songs and they wanted to move her.

Laurie Metcalf makes jenna absolutely compelling. Half the time Shes so horrible and then you see her spring into action and say something truly profound.

I was hoping her husband would show up at the door.

I didn't realize it was a series finale... Though it did feel like one. Loved the hint that the hospital could be in big trouble for no working sprinkler systems.

And I too hope someone picks the series up.

Share Post

Patsy hopping up after the women dragged him to safety was a scream.  I hope to see that actor in the future because he was able to be so simultaneously humbled/pathetic and infuriating, all while still being completely believably "that guy" that any one of us might have in the workplace... he's truly gifted.  

I don't think Dawn necessarily wanted to eat herself into a transplant -- she wanted to eat herself into sympathy from Dr. Dialysis Encouragement.  She craved attention, and the occasional "wow, you're doing awesome, no need to linger at your bedside" was never going to compete on the Munchausen attention spectrum with having more troubling labwork.  This is a woman who stood before a room full of people who had just lost loved ones, including a couple who had just buried their child, and launched straight into her blighted ovum story!  (The reaction shots of the crowd were also wonderful - very realistic shifting eyes of dismay!)

Share Post

Patsy hopping up after the women dragged him to safety was a scream.  I hope to see that actor in the future because he was able to be so simultaneously humbled/pathetic and infuriating, all while still being completely believably "that guy" that any one of us might have in the workplace... he's truly gifted.

Mel Rodriguez ic currently in Fox's Last Man on Earth, and has a feature film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2597098/

I love his work.

Share Post

When the woman started singing, I thought, "Wow, she really has a beautiful voice."  Later, I thought, "These Janis Ian songs are perfect."

Hello, I was 17 when Between The Lines was released.  I've hauled that album around my whole life; I can see it from where I'm sitting right now.  And still it never crossed my mind Mrs. Belfontaine was actually Janis Ian.  Thank you all for clueing me in.

I found this nice NYT article about Ms. Ian.  (Who's only 64.  Whew.)  She doesn't need me to take her in and take care of her. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/fashion/weddings/janis-ian-and-patricia-snyders-relationship-builds-upon-decades-of-social-upheaval.html?_r=0

Episode question:  my DVR cut off right at the end.  I saw Didi at the window, then Patsy, for half a second.  CUT.  Anything else after that?

Share Post

Mel Rodriguez ic currently in Fox's Last Man on Earth, and has a feature film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2597098/

I love his work.

He was also in the dearly departed Enlisted. Great series that should have lasted longer. And he had a couple of eps in Better Call Saul.

17wheatthings, have you seen his movie, Fat?

Share Post

He was also in the dearly departed Enlisted. Great series that should have lasted longer. And he had a couple of eps in Better Call Saul.

17wheatthings, have you seen his movie, Fat?

Never saw Enlisted; queuing it in Netflix now.

Peeayebee, I haven't seen Fat yet; only a trailer for it on Hulu. This article says it was released on VOD 12-15, though. :-)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/unflinching-film-fat-is-a-dark-take-on-food-addiction-depression/article26950864/

Share Post

Hmm, when I search for Enlisted on Netflix, nothing comes up.

That would be because I am a dummy & thought the show Sirens was Enlisted.

:-S

Share Post

Just now finished the show, and wow, what a wonderful finale. I feel as though I’ve said goodbye to old friends. 

I loved them all coming together to deal with the fire as a team. When Ron came around that corner shirtless while carrying Jenna, I giggled liked an idiot. So well done. 

I was happy to see Dawn finally appreciating the people in her life, and that Didi was the last face we saw at the door. I was hoping that Richard would show up to see Jenna off, though. 

And Jenna’s last words to Dawn made me tear up: 

“There is no justice, but there is mercy. Because that’s what we can give to each other.” 

Just beautiful. 

I’m going to miss this show so much! 

Share Post