All Episodes Talk

I just watched Episode 4 of Jessica Jones and I'm feeling confused as well as somewhat dim-witted. I can't understand the plot line about the woman who hired Jessica to get pictures of her husband.

I suppose I really need to re-watch the episode again. But, I'm curious if anyone else had trouble understanding that after a single viewing. Do you think I should give it another viewing? Or should I just swallow my pride and ask for help here. It seemed like the entire episode was difficult to understand. But very exciting. I actually forgot I was watching actors. That has not happened in a very long time. I rarely get lost in TV shows and forget I'm watching a staged play of sorts. However, I really and truly enjoy this show. It's very exciting and it's quickly becoming one of my most favorite shows.

Share Post

I finally, after 7 months, finished watching the series.

My take : I liked the characters and the moody atmospherics. Visually, the show was appealing.

I haven't changed my mind on the over-all narrative structure, however. In episode after episode, Jessica would put into effect some preposterous, Wile E. Coyote-like scheme to trap Kilgrave ( "I'll confess to murder, get thrown into prison, and when Kilgrave comes to see me his mind control ability will be caught on the prison's cameras! How can this not work?"),  only to have Roadrunner Kilgrave elude the "trap". And we, the viewers, knew going in that Kilgrave would elude the trap because otherwise the series would be over. It made for frustrating viewing.

Anyway, I'll watch series 2. Just hope the writers can shape a more pleasing season-long arc.

Share Post

3 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

I just watched Episode 4 of Jessica Jones and I'm feeling confused as well as somewhat dim-witted. I can't understand the plot line about the woman who hired Jessica to get pictures of her husband.

If I remember correctly they basically hired her and forced her into a trap. Something tragic happened to them when the aliens invaded (see the 1st Avengers movie), so they blamed all super powered people. They were going to trap and I think kill Jessica as some sort of weird version of revenge.

Share Post

I have to ask ... if they want to abduct Kilgrave, why don't they just wear earplugs so they can't hear him? Wouldn't that be good enough to prevent him from commanding them until they put him into that safe room?

Share Post

It would keep them from hearing him, but it wouldn't protect them from anyone else that Kilgrave controlled.

Share Post

You also need pretty good ear plugs to completely block out sound. Generally i think  they just reduce sound levels down to safe levels. Plus i am not sure anyone really knew exactky how his powers worked. Could anyone say for sure that if he said something and you didn't hear it his powers wouldn't work? Not sure i would want to take that risk.

What would happen if he said something and kind of mumbled and you heard something else. Would you follow the direction you heard or what he said?

Share Post

Well, I finished watching all 13 episodes and I think this is one of the best new TV shows I've ever seen.

Even though I knew it was a TV show, I was kept on the edge of my seat for almost all 13 episodes. That is something that has almost never happened to me before. There were a few minor things that I didn't like. But the central idea that someone could possess the power of mind control and whatever they tell people to do, those people feel compelled to carry out was so extremely new and fresh and powerful. I loved it.

I have more to say. But since the show is no longer in production, I will wait to see if anyone else wishes to discuss this show any more.

Does anyone know if it will go back into production for a second season?

Share Post

50 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

Does anyone know if it will go back into production for a second season?

Yes, they got a second season. It's going to be filming back to back with The Defenders series. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Yes, they got a second season. It's going to be filming back to back with The Defenders series. 

I hope there won't be too much of a crossover between the Marvel property after The Defenders. I am not watching any of the Marvel movies, I have given up on Daredevil and I'm not sure if Luke Cage or Iron Fist will grab me. 

Share Post

11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Oh wonderful! I have wanted to check out The Defenders. So, that is very convenient.

In the meantime, I have written to a few people and I've posted some info to a few boards where I belong to tell people about this show because I think it is just wonderful. There are some small problems with it. But they are outweighed by all the wonderful attributes.

IMHO, the main positive attribute about this show is that it's a wonderful story and all the most important characteristics (such as the acting and direction) are quite wonderful. But it also has so many wonderful small components (like the hauntingly beautiful music), that it was a real joy to watch. It is so seldom that I find a show that seems to be banging on all cylinders. I am so very happy to have discovered this wonderful show.

Thank you all very much!

5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I hope there won't be too much of a crossover between the Marvel property after The Defenders. I am not watching any of the Marvel movies, I have given up on Daredevil and I'm not sure if Luke Cage or Iron Fist will grab me. 

I must say that I have been so disappointed on all the Marvel movies and other properties. This show is the only Marvel property that has grabbed me in this way. I wonder what the reason might be. Do you think it is entirely due to the showrunner? Or is there some other person contributing to this show that has made such a huge difference?

I'd love to find out so that I could check out any other work done by that mystery person. (Well, a mystery to me. But that really doesn't make them a mystery. I am very lacking when it comes to answering questions like this. Would anyone here have an opinion on who it might be who has made such a wonderful difference to this show?)

Share Post

15 hours ago, netlyon2 said:

It would keep them from hearing him, but it wouldn't protect them from anyone else that Kilgrave controlled.

Spoiler

They tried using headphones with loud blasting music. But that failed to work out very well.

But, I think it was worth a try.

It was a shame they decided not to keep this villian alive for future seasons. As villians go, he was pretty damn terrific. Don't you think?

In any case, I sure hope they find a new villian for next season who is maybe even half as villianous as that guy.

If I don't parlez with any of you until next season, thank you all very much for answering my questions. I sure did appreciate your help. I think you folks are all pretty teriffic.

In the end, I'd be interested to know just who were your favorite characters this season as well as your least favorite.

The lady who lost her twin brother had to be one of my least favorites. Her circumstances were very unique and she could have been an interesting character. But I found her to be such a miserable mess. She had almost zero redeeming characteristics. I thought it would have been quite easy to have this character behave in a few ways that would have made her somewhat endearing to the audience. But, sadly, her character was written so that she just appeared "batshit crazy" without any positive attributes. I found myself wishing that someone would just remove her head instead of her brothers. Sigh ... Oh well.

Share Post

I've enjoyed the other Marvel movies/shows, but I really loved this one and Agent Carter.

I'm actually glad that Killgrave is dead. He was great villain, one of the best in the Marvel universe imo. However too many shows keep the villain alive because they love the actor and it starts to become ridiculous that hero is letting the bad guy continue to hurt/kill people. Even in this season how many times did Jessica have to fail and let Killgrave escape and more people were hurt? They dragged it out until the finale which was okay for me, since she did kill him in the end. I'm also not someone that thinks that heroes shouldn't kill. I think they should kill when it's necessary to save lives. Killgrave with his power wouldn't be in jail long the only way to end his reign of terror is to end his life. That made the ending of the season satisfying to me. He needed to die to make this show great.

As for least favorite characters, I agree with the sister. She was just annoying and one of the only stupid storylines in this otherwise fantastic show. I think she was only needed so they could drag out the Killgrave storyline. She needed to be stupid so Jessica would be distracted and lose Killgrave again.  

For favorite character, I'm in the minority on this board because it's Jessica. She's exactly the type of character I'm drawn too. The dark, mopey type that save the world and don't expect people to pat them on back or give them rewards like some of the more happy go-lucky types do. They do it because they can or want to, not because they want to be a hero. 

I know Trish is a fan favorite, but Trish herself is the type of character that I don't hate but also don't put much thought into the character. I really enjoyed her and Jessica's friendship though, since we don't get a lot of real female friendships in this male bromance dominated world. I know everyone else thinks she's the greatest thing ever. For me she's okay and I enjoy her presence on this show. Malcolm grew on me on towards the end when he actually realized that Jessica was helping people. I can't wait for him to be her assistant. Luke was just there, great to look at but just there. I'm not really interested in watching his show. 

Share Post

50 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

I must say that I have been so disappointed on all the Marvel movies and other properties. This show is the only Marvel property that has grabbed me in this way. I wonder what the reason might be. Do you think it is entirely due to the showrunner? Or is there some other person contributing to this show that has made such a huge difference?

For me it's the fact that this show works better on a personal level. It's really not about superheroes, villains or saving the world. It's about Jessica, her tragic backstory and her personal journey to come to terms with it. Any traditional superhero/comic-book elements are more like furniture dressing. That's the best kind of superhero story. That's why Buffy will always be my favorite superhero show. Jessica is a character that is relatable, dealing with real world issues just as much as she is dealing with larger-than-life comic book stuff. Everything else that Marvel has put out might be great escapism, but it doesn't have the same intimacy and not the same emotional punch. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

For me it's the fact that this show works better on a personal level. It's really not about superheroes, villains or saving the world. It's about Jessica, her tragic backstory and her personal journey to come to terms with it. Any traditional superhero/comic-book elements are more like furniture dressing. That's the best kind of superhero story. That's why Buffy will always be my favorite superhero show. Jessica is a character that is relatable, dealing with real world issues just as much as she is dealing with larger-than-life comic book stuff. Everything else that Marvel has put out might be great escapism, but it doesn't have the same intimacy and not the same emotional punch. 

Well put! I had not seen the topic from that perspective before. That makes a few things much more clear for me. Thanks so much.

Share Post

I recently got curious about the relationship between Jessica Jones and other Marvel comic heroes.

I'm guessing that most all of you already know what I'm about to post. But I searched for "marvel comics list rank most popular" and found a link were someone claims they can rank the top 25 best Marvel Superheroes. I never got into any of the Marvel superheros before. I do not want to offend anyone, but I found most all of the characters listed on that site to be completely boring - especially the X-Men franchise and all their members. I'm guessing that many people here may like those comics and movies and as I said, I don't wish to offend anyone. The only superheroes I ever held an interest as a child were Superman, Batman and some strange group of American warriors who flew jet planes. I think it was called "Black Hawk" or something similar. But I have no idea if they were a Marvel franchise.

Anyway, here is the link to that site if anyone is interested. Sadly, they list Jessica Jones in last place:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/10/top-25-best-marvel-superheroes?page=5

However, you may find some interesting facts about Jessica Jones. I found a few that I would never have before guessed. For example:

Spoiler

The author states that Jessica & Luke were married at some point and had a child. Also the author makes other facts known concerning several other Marvel super heroes. So be careful if you don't want to have any other TV shows or movies spoiled.

Note to Sakura12. I liked Agent Carter for a while but eventually got tired of it. Very strangely, this site makes no mention of Agent Carter.

Some of you may find this article interesting. But be careful because it is full of spoiler info that might seriously spoil things for you concerning the second season. If you don't get spoiled by this site, I hope you will enjoy that article and I most especially hope you will enjoy the next season of Jessica Jones.

Edited by AliShibaz.

Share Post

4 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

The only superheroes I ever held an interest as a child were Superman, Batman and some strange group of American warriors who flew jet planes. I think it was called "Black Hawk" or something similar. But I have no idea if they were a Marvel franchise.

The Blackhawks were from DC Comics.  (I was a fan, too, back in the day. :))

Hey, the conversation's kinda veering away from the show itself.  We do have a Small Talk forum for that kinda thing, y'know. :)

Share Post

On 2016-07-03 at 9:27 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

The Blackhawks were from DC Comics.  (I was a fan, too, back in the day. :))

Hey, the conversation's kinda veering away from the show itself.  We do have a Small Talk forum for that kinda thing, y'know. :)

Heh. I had no idea the Small Talk forum was local to Jessica Jones. I was hoping it was available for all shows. I want to recommend a somewhat little known TV show to everyone. I'll have to find the proper forum for that.

Share Post

6 hours ago, AliShibaz said:

Heh. I had no idea the Small Talk forum was local to Jessica Jones. I was hoping it was available for all shows. I want to recommend a somewhat little known TV show to everyone. I'll have to find the proper forum for that.

Every forum has a Small Talk thread. It's a nice cozy little spot where viewers of a particular show can hang out together and chat about whatever comes to mind, including show recommendations.  So yeah, it is the perfect forum for that sort of thing. :)

Share Post

OK. For anyone who may be interested, I just thought of a good strategy they could use to defeat Kilgrave or anyone who ever gets a power similar to his.

You get maybe 20 people who don't speak a word of English and don't understand it and they surround Kilgrave and either bind him up and gag him and carry him off or beat him unconscious or kill him - depending on just what the circumstances are. That would be more effective than wearing earplugs or headphones which can always be removed.

Share Post

That's assuming Kilgrave only knows English. Which is not a given. Hell, he may at least know a few words like "Stop" in the most widespread languages just for a situation like that.

Share Post

Plus jessica and trish would need to find people who speaks no english that they can still explain there plan to. And there is still the fact that killgrave could have people around him that do speak english to defend him. Plus i can't remember if they even knew 100% how his powers worked and if they would not work on a non english speaker.

Share Post

On 2016-07-06 at 9:14 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus jessica and trish would need to find people who speaks no english that they can still explain there plan to. And there is still the fact that killgrave could have people around him that do speak english to defend him. Plus i can't remember if they even knew 100% how his powers worked and if they would not work on a non english speaker.

Yes. This is very true. They would have to do some research and maybe find some people who know two languages that could commuinicate. They'd have to know what language Kilgrave does speak but, it's a worthwhile strategy to study and the writers could probably make a good episode out of Jessica trying to use that strategy - even if it fails - it could be very entertaining.

Share Post

You wouldn't need fancy plans in order to kill Kilgreave. Just shoot him before he sees you.

Share Post

Official Post

For the record, this thread's for discussing what happens in the episodes themselves. This conversation's probably better suited in another thread. (This one, perhaps....)

Share Post

I watched the first 9 episodes and lost interest. Can't say exactly why. After 6-8 months and watching The Defenders, I went back and watched the last few eps. 

Loved the villain. Way better than The Hand. More real and relatable. 

She was the star of The Defenders. Would like a second season of JJ. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, Ottis said:

Would like a second season of JJ. 

It's filming now for release next year! Everything I've read makes it sound like it will be just as good as the first.

Share Post

I'm disappointed that this won't be coming back this year. I can't believe it's been almost two years since it first aired. Time is going way too fast. 

Share Post