S03:E10:Ira Deorum

I'm about 10 minutes in--Leo is showing Vlad and NotCaterinaSforza (I will look up her name...) the field he wants to lure the Turks to and his armor has cap sleeves that look like bat wings. It's Vlad's armor so maybe his men wear it and I never noticed (averting my eyes because of gagging issues) but this is cool for 2 reasons: because Vlad=Dracula=bat, but also because Leo's big weapon and the invention that kicked off the series are flying machines. And the whole Icarus thing.

Laura Cereta, that's the character's name.

ETE: So I've paused in the middle of Riario's big speech to say this: From the beginning f the season, it seems like everyone, especially Laura, kept calling him by his first name--Girolamo. As the season progressed, I started wondering if they were trying to turn him into that other famous Florentine Girolamo, Savanarola. 

Edited by ABay.

Share Post

Girolamo Riario was an actual person though. Who married the actual Caterina Sforza.

This was rather subdued for a series finale. They had young Machiavelli and never really did any foreshadowing with him. Having a giant battle scene really wasn't what the series was about, and I'm finding it hard to believe DaVinci and Machiavelli would be in the middle of that. 

And not nearly enough Vlad for the series ender. I mean, come on. There's no next episode. 

I was surprised Zo survived, but I was glad it was him than Lucretzia. Don't yank the arrow out of your leg, idiot. You'll bleed out. 

Edited by ganesh.

Share Post

I actually liked that. The ending line was clunky, but whatever. The only part that I was kinda didn't like was I thought Lucrezia's death was a bit cheesy.

Lol at Vlad before the battle looking like he was daydreaming. Oh, and they should have let the brother see him pop back up.

I don't know why Tom Riley decided to say "you'll be missed" to Nico so sexily but hey can't complain about sexy line readings.

You couldn't've done that after the first naked hot bath, Riario?

Shut up Sofia! I think Lucrezia knew to be careful. And also, in what episode dod those to become besties?

Ah, Leo v Pope Riario would have been fun.

I liked Vanessa's small smile of ambition at the end.

I did feel kinda bad for sixtus, I think he was genuinely glad to see Riario back. Oh well, he did inflict naked bath time on us. And also killed tons of people.

All in all I liked it. Well, that was a bizarre, but fun, three seasons.

ETE: So I've paused in the middle of Riario's big speech to say this: From the beginning f the season, it seems like everyone, especially Laura, kept calling him by his first name--Girolamo. As the season progressed, I started wondering if they were trying to turn him into that other famous Florentine Girolamo, Savanarola.

I was thinking they were inferring that priest was him.

Ganesh, I wasn't thinking Leo should not have been there exactly, but when he shouted "for Italy!!" I was think Riario had a much better speech for battle cries.

Edited by ulkis.

Share Post

Starz should have a show about the life of young Machiavelli.

I'd take it.

I do think it was a bit subdued because they were quite sure they were 100% done when they were filming.

So, was that the book of leaves' huge contribution? Electricity? Not that that's insignificant of course.

Share Post

I watched this in a binge several weeks ago and have been waiting to post about it here. Now I can't remember what my questions were. This is what happens when you get old.

OK, one thing I was confused by. The two popes. What happened to both of them? The one who'd been in the dungeon all along was actually a worse bad guy than the one who'd stolen the first guy's life. Eh wot? I remember the imposter Sixtus was murdered by Riario who turned out to be his son (?), who then cut off the ring finger and acted like having the ring meant he would now become pope, which was silly. So what happened to the other real pope?

The whole Book of Leaves thing, huh?

And what was the deal with Leo's mother?

I would be so very grateful if someone would explain it to me. 

Share Post

I watched this in a binge several weeks ago and have been waiting to post about it here. Now I can't remember what my questions were. This is what happens when you get old.

OK, one thing I was confused by. The two popes. What happened to both of them? The one who'd been in the dungeon all along was actually a worse bad guy than the one who'd stolen the first guy's life. Eh wot? I remember the imposter Sixtus was murdered by Riario who turned out to be his son (?), who then cut off the ring finger and acted like having the ring meant he would now become pope, which was silly. So what happened to the other real pope?

The whole Book of Leaves thing, huh?

And what was the deal with Leo's mother?

I would be so very grateful if someone would explain it to me. 

I don't think anything happened to the other real pope. I don't recall him dying in the last episode at least and I just watched it on Saturday. I'm guessing if there had been another season maybe he would have been out there as a baddie.

With Leo's mother I'm guessing she is also still out there? It seems like she left Leo for Al-Rahim but then realized Al-Rahim was not so great so she helped out Leo again. Or maybe it was simply her loyalty was stronger to Leo.

Share Post

I don't know why Tom Riley decided to say "you'll be missed" to Nico so sexily but hey can't complain about sexy line readings.

Make out! Make out! You know you want to! Gah...

Share Post

With Leo's mother I'm guessing she is also still out there? It seems like she left Leo for Al-Rahim but then realized Al-Rahim was not so great so she helped out Leo again. Or maybe it was simply her loyalty was stronger to Leo.

wasn't her throat cut during the astral projection session with.... Leo's sister? or was it Lucrecia?

Share Post

It was *right* at the end of the episode, so it might not have been clear. 

Share Post

So, I just wanted to pop in here to say--yeah, yeah, yeah....exceedingly late to this party and it looks like everyone has already went home--I really enjoyed the this last season of the show. I put off watching it and now I'm kinda sorry I did. I feel like the show finally found that balance between the genres this season and now it's gone.

Never fails I get into something that's either dying or dead. 

Share Post

Well, that's that.

All things considered, it was a pretty satisfying season finale. The villains are defeated, the heroes are triumphant, but there was enough sadness to make it a bittersweet ending. I wasn't that upset by Lucrezia's death - she caused a lot of harm during her lifetime, but this allowed her to atone and go out on her own terms. I wasn't even remotely invested in Leo/Lucrezia as a couple, and she got a much better death than poor Clarice.

So a bit of sadness for Leo - but he's still got his genius sister and his bestie, as well as a studio to run back in Florence. He'll be fine.

Not so much for Riario, who was a tool to the very end. I wasn't sure whether the show was going to give him a redemption arc, but I think this was pretty fitting. Let's be honest, the guy had no self-possession whatsoever; he just adhered to whatever authority figure was in the vicinity, whether it be the pope, da Vinci, or the Architect. Whatever, dude. 

And then there was Nicco. Sadly the writers never gave him any Machiavellian scheming on any particularly great level, but I can also see him growing into the author of "The Prince" later in life. Between his dealings with Leo, Zo, Riario and Vlad, and losing the girl he loves to her own ambition, I can definitely see him as the figure as portrayed on "The Borgias" - giving tips to Cesare Borgia.

I wish they'd done a little more with Lorenzo and Vanessa. The former in particular was pretty shortchanged this season, and Vanessa's rise to power could have been given a little more attention, even as it had absolutely nothing to do with the A-plot.

Laura Cereta made for a good guest star (always nice to see older women in leadership roles) and Vlad stole every scene he was in. Definitely the high point of these last three episodes. 

But it crossed my mind: what on earth happened to Alfonso's wife? The blonde woman who was in love with Lorenzo? Did she survive the assault on Naples? 

It was a crazy little show, and it never got much of a following, but three seasons isn't anything to be ashamed of. The main plot was wrapped up while still leaving room for further adventures (even if we never get to see them) and it was fun while it lasted. 

Share Post

On 2/15/2017 at 4:33 AM, Ravenya003 said:

Well, that's that.

All things considered, it was a pretty satisfying season finale. The villains are defeated, the heroes are triumphant, but there was enough sadness to make it a bittersweet ending. I wasn't that upset by Lucrezia's death - she caused a lot of harm during her lifetime, but this allowed her to atone and go out on her own terms. I wasn't even remotely invested in Leo/Lucrezia as a couple, and she got a much better death than poor Clarice.

So a bit of sadness for Leo - but he's still got his genius sister and his bestie, as well as a studio to run back in Florence. He'll be fine.

Not so much for Riario, who was a tool to the very end. I wasn't sure whether the show was going to give him a redemption arc, but I think this was pretty fitting. Let's be honest, the guy had no self-possession whatsoever; he just adhered to whatever authority figure was in the vicinity, whether it be the pope, da Vinci, or the Architect. Whatever, dude. 

And then there was Nicco. Sadly the writers never gave him any Machiavellian scheming on any particularly great level, but I can also see him growing into the author of "The Prince" later in life. Between his dealings with Leo, Zo, Riario and Vlad, and losing the girl he loves to her own ambition, I can definitely see him as the figure as portrayed on "The Borgias" - giving tips to Cesare Borgia.

I wish they'd done a little more with Lorenzo and Vanessa. The former in particular was pretty shortchanged this season, and Vanessa's rise to power could have been given a little more attention, even as it had absolutely nothing to do with the A-plot.

Laura Cereta made for a good guest star (always nice to see older women in leadership roles) and Vlad stole every scene he was in. Definitely the high point of these last three episodes. 

But it crossed my mind: what on earth happened to Alfonso's wife? The blonde woman who was in love with Lorenzo? Did she survive the assault on Naples? 

It was a crazy little show, and it never got much of a following, but three seasons isn't anything to be ashamed of. The main plot was wrapped up while still leaving room for further adventures (even if we never get to see them) and it was fun while it lasted. 

I have no clue about Alfonso's wife.

The finale was definitely no where near as wacky as I thought it was gonna be.

Share Post