All Episodes Talk: Creepy Cupcakes & Wormy Tidbits

On 11/1/2017 at 12:09 PM, backgroundnoise said:

What made the desserts glow?  They skipped over that so fast, I couldn't catch it.  Was it some kind of special gelatin?

They used tonic water.

Share Post

6 hours ago, 40Love said:

It may be my imagination... but it seemed like the other contestants were over Michelle and all her theatrics last night. All three could just barely muster a smile or reply. 

Seems like Jamal was tired or really spooked by the superstition associated with Tarot cards. Because he was really off his game. Hope he gets some sleep and comes back strong. I loved when Lorraine and Carla shot down negative Zack over Jamal's panna cotta.

Steven was the right one to be eliminated. He might be a great baker, but he seriously lacks imagination. Why in the world would you apply for a Halloween decorating show when you hate scary or gory designs. Do they just sign-up to be in any competition and don't find out what the holiday is until after they get picked? Because seriously... this show was not meant for him.

I totally noticed a tone shift last night with the other contestants and Michelle.  They were NOT amused.

Share Post

I have no opinion of Michelle but understand the first clown causing a scream , the second causing a gasp, but the third one? Come on!

Really? You were not expecting that?

Edited by Enigma X.

Share Post

I really hope Michelle doesn’t win this season. I think they like to push the ‘home bakers can do anything’ angle, but they have been grading her on a curve all season because she’s a home baker. Her flavors and techniques are simply not at the same level of Lyndsey and Jamal.

Also, on a shallow note, knock yourself out with whatever haircolor you want, lady, but please make sure your ponytails are at least vaguely even.

Share Post

I really thought Lindsey was going to get dinged for ALL THAT FONDANT. I mean, you don't eat that! Same with Michelle-- that "rice cereal treat" covered in fondant clown looked creepy BUT THEY DIDN'T EAT IT.

Shows what I know.

Share Post

17 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have no opinion of Michelle but understand the first clown causing a scream , the second causing a gasp, but the third one? Come on!

Really? You were not expecting that?

Probably should have been but I bet I would have jumped every time! I hate it when people or things jump out at me! I was surprised that no one complained about clowns because many people have a clown phobia. I really like Jamal but I am rooting for Lyndsy because she is from Sarasota(which btw, was the home of Ringling Bros for many, many years!) I lived in Sarasota for almost 50 years. Sarasota High School still has the Sailor(their nickname)Circus and have a huge circus tent on their campus. https://circusarts.org/programs/sailor-circus-academy/. 

Share Post

9 hours ago, rlc said:

I really hope Michelle doesn’t win this season. I think they like to push the ‘home bakers can do anything’ angle, but they have been grading her on a curve all season because she’s a home baker. Her flavors and techniques are simply not at the same level of Lyndsey and Jamal.

Also, on a shallow note, knock yourself out with whatever haircolor you want, lady, but please make sure your ponytails are at least vaguely even.

Yeah, the home baker thing is truly annoying. I was bummed Steve was eliminated, because I thought the only reason he was was so that Michelle could go into the finals. They have to have a home baker in the finals. And, yeah, her schtick has gotten even more tired and annoying than at the beginning of the competition. Lyndsey is so much more subtle and Jamal so much more personable, so their personalities are the ones with the most appeal to me. That and they appear to be vastly better bakers.

Share Post

3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Probably should have been but I bet I would have jumped every time! I hate it when people or things jump out at me! I was surprised that no one complained about clowns because many people have a clown phobia. 

I have a clown phobia and would not have been as dramatic as Michelle. But different strokes and all.

Share Post

Michelle gets on my last nerve. She's cute but her personality is tiring. I'll be here alone over in my corner of loving Lindsey. Didn't she say in the first episode that she wasn't used to doing scary? Her stuff always looks gory and great. I hope she wins.

Share Post

This new format of assigning each baker a theme AND a flavor is disappointing. It really limits their opportunities for creativity. I would rather they stick with assigning a theme and letting the bakers choose what flavors they want to incorporate.

Share Post

I don't like this new format either.  And there are just so many spooky or food puns I can take in a given period of time.  I don't like the judges very much any more.  Carla wears on my last nerve but once upon a time, she was one of my all time favs on Top Chef.  

Anyone know if there is a forum for Haunted Gingerbread Showdown?  I know it ended 10/28, but I would like to know if anyone shares my utter contempt and burning hate for contestant, Steve.  What an asshat he is!  I remember him from some other Food Network show & I disliked him immediately then.

Share Post

1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I don't like this new format either.  And there are just so many spooky or food puns I can take in a given period of time.  I don't like the judges very much any more.  Carla wears on my last nerve but once upon a time, she was one of my all time favs on Top Chef.  

Anyone know if there is a forum for Haunted Gingerbread Showdown?  I know it ended 10/28, but I would like to know if anyone shares my utter contempt and burning hate for contestant, Steve.  What an asshat he is!  I remember him from some other Food Network show & I disliked him immediately then.

Totally agree about Steve. He was a jerk start to finish.

Share Post

I was hoping that the artist/architect would win.  He was amazingly talented.  I thought the criticism that his characters were too big was lame.  They were brilliant.  I also loved the library and the bookshelves.  Steve's lighthouse was very good but I didn't think it was better.  I liked the woman who competed but she didn't seem to be on the same level as the other two.

Share Post

Yeah for Lindsey!  I thought Michelle's comment about Lindsey needing to fall when she assigned the theme was asshattery at it's finest.  And she very conspicuously did not congratulate Lindsey on her win.

I wanted Lindsey to win but I would have been fine with Jamal winning.  It's too bad he didn't have enough decorating time.

WTH was with Michelle's mermaid monstrosity?  I didn't get that at all.  It just looked like a mess and not like "visit from the dead'" in the slightest.

I'm getting bored with Carla and Lorraine.  Zac is a little goofy but I still like him.  They should change up the judges.

Share Post

I hated whatever that was that Michelle created.   I liked Lindsay's (spelling?) cake, and I know it was better than Jamal's, but I loved what he did too.   It was so sweet to see Lindsay and Jamal celebrate her win, and boo on Michelle for standing there like a lump when Lindsay won.   Even though you're unhappy you didn't win, you still don't stand there looking like you were robbed, when you simply weren't the best theme cake on that day.     

On the Gingerbread show, I really think Steve tries too hard to be a character, but I think his cake was the best at representing the theme, and his domino effect worked.     I couldn't believe he got the gingerbread boat to float.       The woman's domino effect was a total fail, and that was so sad.     The other man's characters were fantastic, but his domino effect didn't work too well either, and the characters were the focus.   I would love to see Steve and Jorge collaborate on one of the special team event competitions they have on Food Network sometimes, because I think they both have great talent in different areas.         

Edited by CrazyInAlabama.

Share Post

I stared at that mess Michelle made and listened to the explanation and I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at.  The judges' comments were way too kind.

I have to admit that Lindsey earned her victory but I just didn't like her and her flirty expressions.  I was hoping Jamal would win.  I hope good things come to him as a result of the exposure.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I hope FN finds something else for John Henson in the near future.  I really enjoy watching him.  

Share Post

5 hours ago, mlp said:

I stared at that mess Michelle made and listened to the explanation and I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at.  The judges' comments were way too kind.

I have to admit that Lindsey earned her victory but I just didn't like her and her flirty expressions.  I was hoping Jamal would win.  I hope good things come to him as a result of the exposure.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I hope FN finds something else for John Henson in the near future.  I really enjoy watching him.  

John is the best thing about this show. He is genuinely witty, engaging and natural. Unlike the disaster that was the ventriloquist guy. He and his characters were creepy and not in a good way.

Share Post

I suspect Michelle had already decided she was going to make a mermaid cake regardless of what the theme was. 

Edited by Maya.

Share Post

Although her pre-heat desserts sounded amazing, I had no idea what Michelle's cake was supposed to be, and her story didn't help.  I really liked Jamal's idea, but Lindsey's cake displayed a wider variety of decorating techniques. I could have been satisfied with either of them for the win, though. 

I'm not a baker, but can we please just ban fondant?  If you don't eat it, what is it doing on the plate?  

Share Post

7 hours ago, mlp said:

Jake said "the cake looks good" ?????????

Share Post

I rooted for Jamal all season but he really started to fade in the end.  He is very talented and seems very sweet, so I hope to see more of him on FN.   Lindsey was okay, better than Michelle, who was super annoying at the end.   Not annoying as Erin, the most annoying FN Baking Championship contestant ever, IMO, but Michelle was getting up there.

Edited by penbrat.

Share Post

Michelle’s cake looked like something preschoolers make from play dough. I can’t believe the judges didn’t comment on how messy it was. I wanted Jamal to win but Lindsey had a great cake and you could see the theme right away.

Share Post

I somehow missed the first half of this season (no fear, I've already set all of Holiday Baking Championship to record) so tuned in last night for a marathon from the episode where Brenda got eliminated with rosewater through the finals. Kept me going while working on making my own Halloween costume from scratch ... so here are my quick thoughts ...

I was absolutely rooting for Jamal who I thought was lovely and creative. It seemed he went through those last few challenges, though, with little (or not-so-little) careless errors each time in the process but with an end result of apparent deliciousness which kept him alive.

With no prior opinions built, I felt like Lyndsey was the favorite so not really surprised when she won. 

On the final challenge, all I could think of with Michelle was the time back when I was 10 that I competed in a sandcastle contest. Basically, I was surrounded by much better sandcastles (though we were all 10 so they weren't THAT amazing) whereas I made a big pile of sand with a few notches here and there but crafted such an elaborate story for the judges of "what everything was" that I actually won. Almost 50 years later I'm still sort of ashamed of that victory. And Michelle's decapitated mermaid twin head reminded me of that.

I REALLY thought if the title was supposed to be based on the performance in the finals then Jamal was ripped off ... I thought his creation was absolutely breathtaking (a big fan of night-sky designs) and it was clearly the most delicious based on the judges' response ... 

That said, it seems like the title was more of a "what you did all season or at least recently" pick and I can't really argue with that.

Hoping that we'll see Jamal on future shows because he's just a delightful breath of fresh island air!

PS Speaking of people I wish we were NOT still seeing from previous shows, I winced every time they showed the trailer for Ultimate Thanksgiving Challenge ... ugh Christopher ugh ugh ugh. 

Share Post

I am not a fan of Lynsey whatsoever and am so glad that her sing-song, baby voice is gone.  But I will absolutely give her props for a having great deal of talent and her cake was the most beautifully decorated of the three last night -- she deserved the win based on the final challenge.  Jamal has definitely missed the mark in the last couple of weeks' challenges which is a shame because I like him SO much.  I agree with the poster above -- FN, let's see Jamal on future shows (if he wants to do so)!!  Michelle's final cake was not even slightly appealing and she was not a gracious loser.  With all of the "your cake is so dry" comments, it could not have come as a surprise to her that she didn't win, but to just STAND THERE when everyone is hugging and talking at the end was bizarre.  It was like she couldn't leave her spot on the stage.

Love John Henson; Lorraine grew on me this season; Carla was the wonderful Carla; Zach is just meh for me -- his personality is not my cup of tea.

On to the Holiday Baking Championship... 

Edited by MerBearHou.

Share Post

Maybe Jamal will end up on Best Bakers, or one of the other FN shows where there aren't gimmicks.      I think Jamal would have won if he hadn't done fondant that was so thick.    I wish in the finale they would give the contestants a lot more time, even two days, and no gimmicks except the theme. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama.

Share Post

11 hours ago, mlp said:

I agree. To me it looked like a giant blob. 

15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Maybe Jamal will end up on Best Bakers, or one of the other FN shows where there aren't gimmicks.      

I would like to see him again. He is very talented and just a real nice guy. I didn't care for Lynsey, but she was really good. When I saw that last cake, I knew she was going to win it unless it was the WORST thing they had ever tasted. 

Share Post

Quit giving all these ridiculous complicated themes that are so hard to work with and guarantee failure. And the requirement for a smoke effect was lame at best.  For the final just tell them to make their best Halloween cake, pie and go with it. I am betting we would see more spectacular results.  

AND come back John Henson. For anything!

Share Post

At least they gave them the smoking theme early enough that it could be incorporated into the cakes.

Share Post

The smoke theme was lame mostly because everyone implemented it the exact same way, i.e. let's throw some dry ice into a little pool of liquid and be done with it.  I'm not saying I could've done better, but that tells you it was probably just a lazy theme in the first place.

I'm ok with Lindsay winning and would've been ok with Jamal, too.  So I guess all is right with the world.  Michelle's mermaid cake was a big ol WTF (and a clear indicator that trying to scale home baker talent to that level ain't easy!) 

Seems like opinions are mixed on the judges... I generally like Lorraine, has anyone ever seen that old baking school show she used to have on Cooking Channel?  She obviously knows her stuff.   I've always disliked Zac on every show he pops up on because he seems to be super into himself, even when he's joking around, it's still like, YEAH I'M JOKING AROUND SEE HOW COOL I AM BECAUSE I CAN TAKE A JOKE.  It just grates on my nerves.

Share Post

40 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

Seems like opinions are mixed on the judges... I generally like Lorraine, has anyone ever seen that old baking school show she used to have on Cooking Channel?  She obviously knows her stuff.   I've always disliked Zac on every show he pops up on because he seems to be super into himself, even when he's joking around, it's still like, YEAH I'M JOKING AROUND SEE HOW COOL I AM BECAUSE I CAN TAKE A JOKE.  It just grates on my nerves.

Ooh, I now want to hunt down Lorraine's old baking show. I like her a lot. She was on the worst baker in America show wit Duff and they were great together. I stopped watching Worst Cook in America and never would have watched this if not for Lorraine and Duff. It was ok because of them, though. Totally agree on Zac, too. 

I didn't mind Michelle but she did a terrible job on that final cake. Still, she had a pretty good run. As others have said, I would love to see Jamal on another show (and Jon Henson on a lot more shows). He's a delight. I liked Lyndsy and thought she deserved the win. Enjoyed the whole series. 

Share Post

I didn't mind Michelle and even defended her in the comments, but wow - she was super annoying in the finale. Also that zombie mermaid thing was god-awful ugly and wasn't even close to the theme - and she even got to choose her theme!

I agree with Lindsay's win but she still rubs me the wrong way. Jamal was my favorite.

Share Post

To my mind, Jon Henson was the best Talk Soup host EVAH. I haven't seen enough of him lately, so more More MORE Henson!

Glad to see everyone agreed on Michelle's mermaid monstrosity. Even after her story I couldn't tell what it was. Her clown face last week was nearly as lame. And she has annoyed me since the season began. When she made that crack when she was assigning the dreams to the other two and Lyndsey gave her a comment right back, she had such a nasty look on her face. Damn, Michelle, if you're gonna dish it out, you gotta learn to take it.

I like Jamal a lot, and I think he'd be great on a show of his own. Sadly, his cake had issues tonight. I think it was close between him and Lyndsey. Notice how he made the face on the running man character? So clean and well done. Michelle didn't even try. I will admit I LOL'd at Jamal's skull with a nose on it. Ha!

Share Post

What the HELL was that thing Michelle made? I don't think I've ever seen something so bad in the finale before. Damn.

Glad my girl Lindsey won. I loved that she had a dude gone splat with the blood and everything. Girlfriend did not shy away from the macabre this season. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, festivus said:

What the HELL was that thing Michelle made? I don't think I've ever seen something so bad in the finale before. Damn.

Somehow when it came out looking like a three year old smushed play-doh on a pile of dirt, she convinced the judges it was zombie mermaid. Way to go. Now the question is, would some one actually want to serve that at a halloween party? Unless it was a party for three year olds where the three year old guest of honor made it, I don't think so. 

Share Post

9 hours ago, festivus said:

Glad my girl Lindsey won. I loved that she had a dude gone splat with the blood and everything. Girlfriend did not shy away from the macabre this season. 

It was like she wanted to make a zombie even though she had a ghost theme and it turned out looking like a mermaid so she called it the ghost of a zombie mermaid.  Idiotic.

I liked Lindsey too and wanted her to win.

Share Post

On 10/31/2018 at 3:26 PM, ruffy666 said:

I really like Lorraine and Carla. I've never seen Lorraine's show on the Cooking Channel... but like the authority she brings to the show. She's super critical... but, to me, it seems like she tries to find something nice to say too. She and Carla seem to get along well too. Not like the older woman, who seemed to base her critique's on whether she personally liked the contestant. 

I agree with you about Zac. He seems to be trying too hard... whether he's trying to be funny, clever or snippy. He just needs to pull it back some. Carla can be a little over the top sometimes... but, in the end gives thoughtful and constructive critiques. 

I was rooting for Jamal... but I'm cool with Lindsay winning. Her cake looked the best...  I knew she was going to win, if her cake was tasty too. It was so nice to see Jamal give Lindsay a big congratulatory hug. I think we'll see both of them again. Unfortunately, I think Michelle will pop up a few times too. No way the producers are passing up on that camera mugging and attention grabbing personality.

Share Post