All Episodes Talk: Creepy Cupcakes & Wormy Tidbits

I wondered how Cliff even got selected for this show.  His skill level seemed quite inferior to the rest of them.  When he was talking about decorating and they showed shots of things he'd done, I thought they all looked pretty bad.  So far, my favorites are Jonathan and Tyler.

Share Post

I liked Cliff, but I wonder how old he was.  Again, that same stereotype comes back again: old people are always the earliest to get eliminated.

Jonathan is so annoying, IMO.

Share Post

On 10/4/2017 at 11:35 AM, Rammchick said:

It always seems to me that older baketestants don't do as well as the younger ones.  I've yet to see anyone over the age of 40 in the finals on one of these shows.  Not that I think Cliff did well, don't get me wrong, but it's as though these older people are set up as canon fodder.

Yes and as a competent older person myself this pisses me off. Jacques Torres is 57, Ron Ben-Israel is 58 and Nick Malgieri is 69. Odds are good that accomplished, capable older home bakers try out for this and aren't selected to compete. FN is desperately trying to attract a younger demographic without realizing that those folks are getting much of their cooking information online. They also don't get that there are lots of older folks out there and we could afford to buy their stuff if they'd actually market to us.

Share Post

Those brain cakes looked gross, but awesome lol. The reactions to the Baked Alaska brains had me rolling. SO funny.

Share Post

On 10/3/2017 at 3:16 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

That's why I like the Great British Bake Off. Everyone is lovely and helpful to each other.

Totally hooked on that show! No theatrics, trash talking, running around... and they're in a lovely tent. I still enjoy the American baking shows... but, there's something so calming and delightful about the Brit version that makes me enjoy the show even more. Plus they give them the appropriate amount of time to bake and create.  

Share Post

On 10/9/2017 at 7:57 PM, Passing Strange said:

Yes and as a competent older person myself this pisses me off. Jacques Torres is 57, Ron Ben-Israel is 58 and Nick Malgieri is 69. Odds are good that accomplished, capable older home bakers try out for this and aren't selected to compete. FN is desperately trying to attract a younger demographic without realizing that those folks are getting much of their cooking information online. They also don't get that there are lots of older folks out there and we could afford to buy their stuff if they'd actually market to us.

Passing Strange, I'm 56 myself.  I too find the age discrimination very apparent.  As I said, I don't think Cliff did well, nor did I think he shouldn't have been eliminated.  But it's as though these competitions are seeded with one, or two at most, older people who often fail miserably.

Share Post

I can't remember anyone's name, but I agreed with the judges regarding the bottom two for the phobias-inspired challenge.  That clown was just sad.  I know bakers often disregard the challenge and just bake whatever they want, but the ghost was particularly egregious.  "I know ghosts are white, but I'm going to make chocolate cake with fudge filling and dark chocolate icing!"  Really?

I'm watching reruns of The Great British Baking Show also right now and the juxaposition of judging really shows what a sham this kind of "baking" contest is.  Mary and Paul care about the actual baking aspects.  Carla, etal, just seem to care if it tastes good, regardless of whether it's a gloopy mess or underbaked.

Share Post

anyone know why it "wasn't a bouchon, it was a brownie"?

Was it just that he didn't get the shape right?

And I may be mis-remembering, but I think Carla used that "un done-te" joke on herself in top chef. I forget what it was.

(Ah, I am right-- it was her, and it was rice) http://www.tvguide.com/news/top-chef-carla-hall-1030520/

Edited by dleighg.

Share Post

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

anyone know why it "wasn't a bouchon, it was a brownie"?

Was it just that he didn't get the shape right?

I assumed it was just the shape but it would have been nice if he had explained.

Share Post

I didn't understand what Zac meant by "bouchon" in that context.  I tried Googling and found the usual French style restaurant and a bunch of other translations but ended up no wiser.

Share Post

A bouchon is a friken brownie in a particular shape

Thanks.  I have never heard the word used that way but, if Thomas Keller says so, it must be right.  

Share Post

I was so irritated and angry that Dina left, she was my favorite because I love hotels! But Jonathan doesn't bug me anymore, he now knows what he's doing.

Share Post

Am I crazy or is the level of talent this year... err, how should I put this... not particularly good?  There's a whole lot of sloppy piping and throwing Wilton(tm) candy bits at things, which surprises me since a lot of these people are allegedly in the industry.  Seems like they've shuffled most of the good bakers off to Best Baker in America.

Share Post

I think this crop is better than the last competition I saw but I can't remember if that was Spring, Holiday or the last Halloween series. They all just run together, don't they?

Let's face it: just about every undiscovered talent in the country has been found. The number of television shows looking for them has grown faster than the supply of worthy contestants.

Share Post

I suspect that one reason these contestants don't look great is the time constraints.  I suspect that most if not all of them do much better work when they can bake and decorate at their own pace - with no silly twists.  Tyler is probably a good example.  I had him figured for a finalist because he seemed quite talented but he didn't have time to fix a disaster which he would have had in a normal situation.

Rooting for Jonathan.

Share Post

Yeah, I'm sure the time constraints are the biggest factor. That's the only reason I can think of why Ray thought it would work to put the butter in his cheux (sp?) while it was in the mixing bowl when he realized he didn't incorporate it with the other ingredients in the sauce pan or why Tyler would put buttercream on his hot cakes and try to stack them and put them in the chiller instead of the other way around.

Edited by tobeannounced.

Share Post

17 hours ago, mlp said:

I suspect that one reason these contestants don't look great is the time constraints.  I suspect that most if not all of them do much better work when they can bake and decorate at their own pace - with no silly twists.  Tyler is probably a good example.  I had him figured for a finalist because he seemed quite talented but he didn't have time to fix a disaster which he would have had in a normal situation.

Rooting for Jonathan.

Agreed... It's ridiculous that they're so rushed they don't even really let their cake cool down before having to put icing on it. 

Share Post

This isn't much of a baking competition.  Where are the pies? Tarts?  There seems to be way too many non-baked entries, like mousse bombs.  When a baker is making chocolate cake for four challenges in a row, there's something wrong.

The funniest part of last night's show was when the male judge noticed fingerprints on the chocolate cake square.

I like spicy chocolate just fine, but raw jalopeno bits in a chocolate mousse?  Yuck.

I'm hoping the Holiday Baking one will be better.

Share Post

I love all the terms for name brand chocolate bars they can't say. Since I'm Canadian I have a hard time figuring them out sometimes.

I was cringing at the raw jalapeno ... I think that would've been super overpowering. I've had some fantastic spicy chocolate before with chili peppers, and it's really good, but it definitely wasn't raw!

Share Post

19 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

I love all the terms for name brand chocolate bars they can't say. Since I'm Canadian I have a hard time figuring them out sometimes.

That was really awkward! and didn't they know what they were "going for"? I mean, we all saw those euphemisms for the candy names on the front of the bottles@

Share Post

15 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

This isn't much of a baking competition.  Where are the pies? Tarts?  There seems to be way too many non-baked entries, like mousse bombs.  When a baker is making chocolate cake for four challenges in a row, there's something wrong.

Agreed. It's becoming the Halloween Decorating (and not much of that!) Championship.

Share Post

The jalapeño and turmeric combinations actually grossed me out. I'm not sure if the judges, especially that creep Zac Young, were actually enjoying that. They pretended to enjoy it. What does it taste like, anyway? Spicy? Sweet? We aren't judges, we're spectators. But I want to get an overall glimpse of the real taste of chocolate/turmeric and chocolate/jalapeño.

Ray was not so good in this competition at all. It was the right choice to get rid of him this week.

Share Post

The idea of pieces of jalapeños in the mousse and just stuck to the tombstone was nauseating. The turmeric combo sounded bad too. I do like this show and it doesn't bother me that they make different desserts and not just baked goods. I like the seasonal themes. 

Share Post

On 10/19/2017 at 6:48 AM, tobeannounced said:

Yeah, I'm sure the time constraints are the biggest factor. That's the only reason I can think of why Ray thought it would work to put the butter in his cheux (sp?) while it was in the mixing bowl when he realized he didn't incorporate it with the other ingredients in the sauce pan or why Tyler would put buttercream on his hot cakes and try to stack them and put them in the chiller instead of the other way around.

That was strange that Ray didn't go ahead and add it. I thought it was odd he forgot such an important ingredient in the first place. Tyler's was literally a hot mess. I know you can't start frosting a warm cake so he knows it too. When he flipped the cake layer off it was awful looking. Like someone had thrown up on the cake. 

I'm tired of Zac. He's an evil elf. I get that he's probably pissed that some of them make such egregious errors, but this is Food Network. Their ads showcase the baking failures, the running around the kitchen, someone's ingredients blowing up in their faces. The failure drama gets aired more than the successes. Eat that, Zac.

Share Post

Why didn't Ray make a jalapeno puree if he was going to put it in a mousse?  I feel bad, I liked him.  I totally want Jonathan's Almond Joy cake.  Mr. D and I were salivating over all the preheat dishes. 

Share Post

Of course the time constraints make it really difficult to turn out amazing baked goods, but the jalapeno thing is a perfect example.  That's not time management (except maybe in the sense of not having enough time to really think about why that concept is NOT GOOD).  I think a jalapeno puree would've been much smarter, or even a simple jalapeno jelly center.  Anything other than literal chunks of jalapeno floating in your mousse, which seems like just about the least creative option.

Share Post

I liked all three of the finalists as "people" but I thought Jonathan's (?) cake was the best looking (but perhaps a bit literal)  but if it tasted like baking soda that is not a good thing so I can see why Jasmin won (her cake was not too badly decorated, I just preferred Jonathan's)  The other female contestant?  I liked her but her cake was a hot mess.

Share Post

Yes, I felt so bad for Half-Shave. It was hers to lose and lose she did.

Share Post

1 hour ago, penbrat said:

I liked all three of the finalists as "people" but I thought Jonathan's (?) cake was the best looking (but perhaps a bit literal)

I liked them all to, but was rooting for Jasmin.  For me, Jonathan's was just too safe.  Nothing that interesting really.

Share Post

Jonathan was my favorite from the beginning and I thought he had the best "body of work" overall so I was disappointed when he didn't win.  I have to admit that Jasmin's final entry was very good but I just didn't like her personality.  Poor Jessica.  I give her credit for making the best of a mess but that black whatever had no chance.

Share Post

What made the desserts glow?  They skipped over that so fast, I couldn't catch it.  Was it some kind of special gelatin?

Share Post

24 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

What made the desserts glow?  They skipped over that so fast, I couldn't catch it.  Was it some kind of special gelatin?

Jonathan and Jasmin used tonic water for the glow. Jonathan said it makes things glow and considering the number of gin and tonics I've enjoyed in my lifetime, I should be the brightest night light in the galaxy. I don't think those two contestants used any other product but could be wrong. Jessica used edible glow in the dark paint. 

Share Post

It’s the quinine in the tonic water that is fluorescent.  I remember my 9th grade science teacher showed us a few tricks with it and black light.  In college I had a professor (not science dot) insist it was the carbonated water that glowed. But then I called him out on it and said the experiment he was talking about wouldn’t work if he substituted soda water.  He was not pleased with me.

Anyway, all three finalists had good showings.  I’m just not a fan of all the goofy “gotchas” thrown in to this (and other) FN competitions.  To quote Mel & Sue, can’t we just “on your marks...get set...BAyy-ke!” already?

Share Post

I wasn't surprised Jasmine won, but I was really hoping Jessica would.  She took a huge risk, and it looked like a bit of a hot mess (I would have gone the "it's a pumpkin that sat out too long" route if left with the black fondant - made it look extra gross and just go with it), but her cake was the only one they didn't find fault with.  Jasmine's had too much nutmeg (per Lorraine), and Jonathan's tasted like baking soda.  

The "pina colada" carrot cake is pretty much the King Arthur Flour recipe, only it calls for crushed pineapple and doesn't specify toasted coconut, just regular unsweetened.  And it.is.amazing.  Also a bitch to make, haha. 

On to the holidays!

Share Post

On 11/1/2017 at 8:56 AM, Qoass said:

Yes, I felt so bad for Half-Shave. It was hers to lose and lose she did.

I feel like if you win the preheat, it's yours to lose, and Jasmin didn't. I definitely felt bad for Jessica too.

Share Post

Coming in here very late, but I want to say that in addition to the time limits, I think pantry shortages are an unnecessary limitation. Jessica made a black pumpkin because all the white fondant was used up, and then got dinged on it. That’s not letting the bakers show their best.

Share Post