Episode Discussion: TFGH

Carly's idiotic defense of her actions ("Kevin prescribed a safe dosage of medicine, so what's the big deal that I forcibly injected a woman with it?") and Jason and Sonny's responding looks of dismay was just delightful. In that moment you could tell they hated her just a little for making their job of protecting her incredibly more complicated.

Nelle's been pregnant forever and a day, those pains she experienced should have been the onset of labor. Guess she can't give birth until Lucas and Brad's baby is due and we finally see how these stories dovetail (whatever happens, please let it be good for Lucas and Brad).

I'm lost as to the point of Sam and Drew's scenes. I thought it was pretty clear she didn't regret their relationship (how could she, since it produced Scout?) so I don't see the need for them to keep talking about it. Maybe I'd be interested if they engaged in some breakup sex instead of talking. This is the most sexless triangle I've ever seen.

Share Post

I'm over Griffin.  I don't know why he is so hellbent on Carly, Sonny, and the band of merry mobsters always being in the right, but it has gotten old.

Ava was right on when she called the cops on the ESCAPED MENTAL PATIENT.  Good grief.  This is a person who escaped the home for the criminally insane showing up at the wedding of the person she admitted to pushing down the stairs in a time of insanity.  What's with Jordan apologizing for sending her back to the booby hatch? That's where that pistachio belongs.  

Somehow I missed the ugliness that was Sam's dress on Friday.  It looks like a casual summer dress but in black and with a dominatrix collar. Lulu's was very Laura Ashley.

Carly threatening Big Van Vader the orderly is textbook Carly and a great example of why I now hate-watch this show. And, for the love of sushi, why are they back on this whole "prove Nelle set up Carly" idea?  Diane made it clear that even if they could prove that Nelle set up Carly, it would just reinforce that Carly pushed Nelle down the stairs because she is either evil or crazy. I guess we are all supposed to forget that part of the story?

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Linny said:

Nelle's been pregnant forever and a day, those pains she experienced should have been the onset of labor. Guess she can't give birth until Lucas and Brad's baby is due and we finally see how these stories dovetail (whatever happens, please let it be good for Lucas and Brad).

But didn't the birth mother go into labor today, isn't that what Brad said?

And yes, nothing better happen to Baby Tony Jones-Cooper.

Share Post

8 minutes ago, Linny said:

This is the most sexless triangle I've ever seen.

It really is, isn't it? No yearning glances, no stolen kisses, no illicit sex—nothing about this has been written for me to think "Thank god Jason and Sam got back together! They're truly each other's lobsters!" (Not that I'd ever think that about those two, but you get what I mean.)

Share Post

And by the way, Sonny and Jason JUST NOW came up with the idea of trying to find something on DA Elizabeth Hendrickson?  Crack job, team.

Share Post

If Michael were smart, he would just trick Nelle into thinking they were legally married and get her to admit that Carly didn’t push her down the stairs.  She would think that he wouldn’t be able to testify against her, due to spousal privilege but if they weren’t legally married; he could. Instead, we are being tortured by this inane plot by a bunch of morons.

Share Post

Did Ned sign the marriage papers with the invisible ink?  They kept focusing on it, so it must be important.

Share Post

1 hour ago, AuxArx said:

Did Ned sign the marriage papers with the invisible ink?  They kept focusing on it, so it must be important.

I thought so too!  That would actually be kinda funny.

Nelle could have faked those pains to get Mikey to marry her right?

Share Post

1 minute ago, Kiki777 said:

Nelle could have faked those pains to get Mikey to marry her right?

No—getting married was Michael's idea in the first place, or at least he's been the one pushing to get married now instead of later.

Share Post

1 hour ago, AuxArx said:

It reminded me of when Ned married Lois but was already  married. I wondered if he didn't sign his legal "mayor" name, making the marriage null and void.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

No—getting married was Michael's idea in the first place, or at least he's been the one pushing to get married now instead of later.

But since. Nellie doesn't know about Mikey's plan, she was probably worried that Carly's appearance would change his mind right?  I dunno, I just got suspicious when. Lucas said she and baby were perfectly fine.

Share Post

Michael has been pretty firm that he'll marry Nelle despite everyone's misgivings.

Share Post

1 hour ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

f Michael were smart, he would just trick Nelle into thinking they were legally married and get her to admit that Carly didn’t push her down the stairs.  She would think that he wouldn’t be able to testify against her, due to spousal privilege but if they weren’t legally married; he could. Instead, we are being tortured by this inane plot by a bunch of morons.

Unless he were wearing a wire, don't know that would do much good.  I wouldn't put too much weight on that testimony if I was on a jury.

Share Post

27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Michael has been pretty firm that he'll marry Nelle despite everyone's misgivings.

No one can mess with the plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn--regardless of how lame or ill-advised it might be.  He is his mother's son.

Share Post

37 minutes ago, AuxArx said:

That's what I thought as soon as Jason handed him the pen.  But didn't Nelle take that back?

If I never hear Carly again go on and on about what losing Morgan did to her, it still won't be enough.  LW has been doing that almost non-stop since Morgan died.

"She couldn't get me so she went after the next best thing, my wife."  God, Sonny, get over yourself.  As far as the DA knows, Carly tried to kill Nelle.

It's also ridiculous how every thinks it's okay for Carly to drug her nurse and break out of her cell at a psychiatric jail. For all Carly knew, Mary Pat could have been allergic to the drug.

When Bobbie told Ava to have some compassion for Carly after taking Avery, I wanted Ava to say "I'll have as much compassion for her as she has for me."

56 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm over Griffin.  I don't know why he is so hellbent on Carly, Sonny, and the band of merry mobsters always being in the right, but it has gotten old.

He could have been a romantic hero on the show. Instead he's just a limp dishrag.

22 hours ago, NutmegsDad said:

He care more about who killed Morgan, plus Helena is dead. If Jason had the same widespread hate as he does the Jeromes, he'd blame Sam and Alexis for being Cassadines.

Jake was badly traumatized by Helena just because he's Jason's son.  Jason should have some concern for him, wanting to make sure that he's recovering and there aren't any lasting effects. Instead Jason's only concern is how Carly and Michael are doing. He's basically left Jake to the care of Liz and Franco and only drops in to look hurt that Jake is closer to Franco and Drew than he is to his bio-dad.

5 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I mean, I get Brad having a soft spot for a "redeemed" bad girl - see his far superior friendship with Britt - but yeah, at this point in his relationship/marriage with Lucas, he should have relationships with Carly and Bobbie that far outstrip any kind of friendship with Nelle.

I can't see Carly and Bobbie making time to have a relationship with Brad though. Would they invite him to family get-togethers?  Both of them seem too selfish to reach out to Lucas' husband.

Share Post

15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Instead he's just a limp dishrag.

Griffin is also a hypocrite.  Morals, shmorals.  Yet he acts superior to Ava.  And some of the responsibility for Duke's death is on mobbed-up Duke, not Julian. 

Share Post

18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

But as far as I recall, Franco has treated Jake decently.  He's encouraged Jake in his art and other things, and just generally being there for Jake when he needs him. And Franco does want to do nice things for Liz and her kids even if often they're seflish.

Is there any relationship on the show for Jake to aspire to?

The first problem is, Jake was a vulnerable patient when Franco got to know him and he clearly wanted to get close to the kid and his mother, Elizabeth, because of their connection to Jason.

The second problem (which is associated with Franco's crimes) is he said to Elizabeth: "You make me a better." She then told him it wasn't her job to make him better, and not to come home. Well, it's even more not Jake's job to make Franco better.  The kid has been through enough in life; he shouldn't be one of the two people a sociopath focuses on for redemption. He deserves a normal childhood.  He more or less admitted when he hastily proposed to Liz in the hospital some months ago that he wanted to get married so he'd have as much say in decisions about Jake's life as Jason ... or almost as much.

Jake could aspire to Molly and TJ's relationship, Mac and Felicia's relationship, and up until recently, Drew and Sam's. It was established that he was comfortable with the Drew, Sam, and Danny family dynamic. 

Share Post

Anyone else find it amusing that AVa called the police, and Chase phone rang, 4 feet away, since he was already at the wedding.  

Share Post

3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

But didn't the birth mother go into labor today, isn't that what Brad said?

No.  He said she had her final check up and that everything was fine and on track.  

3 hours ago, Linny said:

Guess she can't give birth until Lucas and Brad's baby is due and we finally see how these stories dovetail (whatever happens, please let it be good for Lucas and Brad).

I'm now wondering if she's switch the babies so that if Michael does leave her and take the baby, she'll know that he doesn't have the Benson/Corinthos/Quartermain but some rando baby.  Then she can hang out with Brad and help parent her own child.  

Share Post

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

That's what I thought as soon as Jason handed him the pen.  But didn't Nelle take that back?

I guess Spinelli could have whipped up another one just for the occasion (maybe Ned is in on it, too).

Share Post

3 hours ago, AuxArx said:

I kept thinking he just wasn't going to file the paperwork, so that they wouldn't legally be married, but invisible ink would be funnier.  Although I thought Ava or Nelle herself had the pen last.  

Share Post

3 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

If Michael were smart, he would just trick Nelle into thinking they were legally married and get her to admit that Carly didn’t push her down the stairs.  She would think that he wouldn’t be able to testify against her, due to spousal privilege but if they weren’t legally married; he could. Instead, we are being tortured by this inane plot by a bunch of morons.

But spousal privilege doesn't mean a spouse can't voluntarily testify against the other, it simply means they cannot be compelled to do it.  Not that I expect the writers to get that right.

Share Post

Spousal privilege means that what a spouse says to the other in private cannot be used in court unless there was a third party present.  Thank-you Law and Order!

Share Post

50 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"She couldn't get me so she went after the next best thing, my wife."  God, Sonny, get over yourself. 

LOL. The essence of Sonny: It's always all about him. I also loved how everyone tried to excuse Carly's escape because she has a son! Who's going to make a terrible mistake! What else was she supposed to do, sit by and watch him make the biggest mistake of his life? That reasoning is as dumb as Sonny not being able to go to jail because of his claustrophobia. Thank Jasus that Jordan mentioned Carly had drugged the nurse and Jordan had no choice but to arrest Carly. 

51 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

When Bobbie told Ava to have some compassion for Carly after taking Avery, I wanted Ava to say "I'll have as much compassion for her as she has for me."

Ugh, and then Debbie Downer comes in and tries to persuade Ava that Carly isn't crazy. Shut up, Griffin.

Francesca—that nurse or ob resident—had on more makeup than Nelle, and Nelle was the one getting married.

4 minutes ago, Perkie said:
3 hours ago, AuxArx said:

I kept thinking he just wasn't going to file the paperwork, so that they wouldn't legally be married, but invisible ink would be funnier. 

I think there's something about the license that isn't entirely correct, so if/when something happens to Michael and Nelle claims to be his widow, or she sues him for a huge chunk of the Quartermaine fortune or something, the license will be proof the marriage wasn't legal. The closeup on Ned signing it was so anvilicious it has to mean something like that.

"So this plan of Michael's? It better kick in before Carly gets in too deep." Yes, Sonny, whatever happens to Michael will be a shame, but the real issue here is how it will affect Carly.

5 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

But spousal privilege doesn't mean a spouse can't voluntarily testify against the other, it simply means they cannot be compelled to do it. 

There's also something called marital communications privilege, where a spouse "shall not be required, or, without consent of the other if living, allowed, to disclose a confidential communication made by one to the other during marriage.” So if charges were brought against Nelle, Michael couldn't say anything unless she said it was okay, and I can't see that happening. 

Share Post

14 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

But spousal privilege doesn't mean a spouse can't voluntarily testify against the other, it simply means they cannot be compelled to do it.  Not that I expect the writers to get that right.

It depends on the jurisdiction and specific privilege as to which spouse holds the privilege.  There are two spousal privileges, the Spousal Testimony Privelege and the Spousal Communications Privilege.

The Spousal Testimony Privilege is a criminal matter privilege and states that a spouse cannot be compelled to testify against his or her spouse on any subject, including conduct which occurred and communications prior to the marriage, as long as the two remain married.  It is generally held by the testifying spouse, but some jurisdictions also allows the defendant spouse to invoke the privilege.   When the defendant spouse is allowed to invoke the privilege, there is usually an exception for criminal matters in which the defendant spouse is accused of committing a crime against the testifying spouse or their children/children in their care.

However, the Spousal Communication Privilege is always held by the communicating spouse and survives the marriage, i.e. is still in place after divorce.   Spousal Communication Privilege applies only to communications made during the marriage. It does not cover communications made before the couple married.

Or what dubbel zout said. 

Edited by RachelKM.

Share Post

11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The closeup on Ned signing it was so anvilicious it has to mean something like that.

That, and later on, when he was with Lulu and Olivia and he said he'd file them in the morning and the camera stayed on them way longer than necessary. Something is up with those papers.  

Share Post

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's not like that isn't the only pen that has invisible ink. We know that Jason was adamant that Michael should not marry Nelle. Why would Jason be walking around with a nice looking pen.

I could see him asking Spinelli to getting one of those pens for just that moment. However if Carly didn't interrupt the wedding and Nelle wasn't taken to the hospital, did Jason have a plan to hand the pen during the ceremony. And if there was invisible ink of the marriage licence, that doesn't stop Ned from signing it later when he files the paperwork.

Share Post