House Hunters: Buying in the USA

Both the Boston area and Cleveland couples were going to wait on big renovations. A refreshing change from “We have to immediately gut this kitchen!”

Clearwater, FL: They picked the house I liked the best. The guest house was neat. Bet one of the daughters will move in there.

Share Post

On 9/19/2018 at 2:11 PM, suebee12 said:

I really enjoyed the Boston episode! I liked all three houses and would have had a hard time choosing between them. The basement in the second house was cave-like but when my son and family lived in Boston for a semester, the house they rented had a stone cellar like that. It was interesting to say the least. I think I would have picked house #1 and not worried about a swimming pool. How much time is there for enjoying it during the short summer season and if they really wanted a pool there was time and space to add one at a later date. All in all, a fun episode with a nice couple willing to compromise and think wisely.

I liked all too, although for me I liked #3 the least. I personally would love the second, but I get why it wasn't right for them (and was thinking that even when they were looking at it).  I was rooting for the first, which I thought was really charming (and I also would have gone with the preferred kitchen and dealt with the pool later), but I'm sure they made a good choice for them.  A nice and agreeable couple.

Share Post

The Pittsburgh couple were refreshing with their attitude.  None of the "Where's my....." or "I need....".  

And, the agent was my agent when we moved here a few years ago.  

Share Post

11 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Pittsburgh couple were refreshing with their attitude.  None of the "Where's my....." or "I need....".  

And, the agent was my agent when we moved here a few years ago.  

Well that's cool that you know the agent! I thought the couple were nice too. Professional; ballroom dancers are amazing athletes.

Share Post

9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

How did that couple afford two houses (Nashville and Pittsburgh area)?

It didn’t look like either house was hugely expensive. Pittsburgh has really affordable housing as we saw with their house there costing under 200 grand.  I’ll bet the combined value of both houses is less than a shack on the west coast.

He said he was an iron worker in addition to boxing. That seems like a Pittsburgh kinda job and one that would have regular hours. I wonder if, with a baby coming, she wasn’t going to be cutting back on her singing career so he was going to be working more at a regular job.

i thought she was really pretty but, from the snippet we heard, her singing career is unlikely to be very lucrative.  Not a very good singer, IMO.

Share Post

One thing they were smart to do was to stay out of Allegheny County.  The property taxes where they purchased, in Beaver County, are half as much as in Allegheny.

i liked the house they purchased and I think it would have great resale potential if they wanted to sell in the future.  

I agree with Doodlebug----her singing left a bit to be desired.  

Share Post

I fell asleep after seeing the first two Pittsburgh houses.  Which house did they choose?  (Although with my luck they probably chose the 3rd.)

I liked the couple but I have to agree that her singing didn't impress me.  Nashville attracts loads of talented singers, so if her singing career is the only reason they're keeping the Nashville house, they might want to rethink that pretty soon. 

Share Post

22 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I fell asleep after seeing the first two Pittsburgh houses.  Which house did they choose?  (Although with my luck they probably chose the 3rd.)

I liked the couple but I have to agree that her singing didn't impress me.  Nashville attracts loads of talented singers, so if her singing career is the only reason they're keeping the Nashville house, they might want to rethink that pretty soon. 

They went with the first one, the ranch.  It looked like they did some very sensible and nice renovations to it.  Removed a couple of extraneous walls, got rid of the wallpaper, got hardwood floors.

Share Post

7 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

They went with the first one, the ranch.  It looked like they did some very sensible and nice renovations to it.  Removed a couple of extraneous walls, got rid of the wallpaper, got hardwood floors.

Ok, thanks!

Share Post

Chicago rerun I'd seen before.  That's the one where they bought in the first building I owned a condo in.  At the time I sold (late 2002), I would have loved to buy one of the bigger ones in the complex, but none were available.  It's for the best, but interesting to see them on TV.  Of course, they were presented as the vintage place, since built in around 1992, gasp!  I bought in that building in 1998, so it seemed pretty new then.  I was glad they noted the nice floors, since they really were lovely.  Also my place had nice cabinets and amazing parking for Chicago -- I had a 2/1 and had one indoor, one outdoor space (and no car) plus extra garage storage. That place also had nice loft-like details in general. Negatives, small bathroom, and I could hear everything from my upstairs neighbors, and I recall when I first moved in they were obsessed with the Titantic soundtrack -- blast from the past.

When I lived there the building was definitely not energy efficient, so funny that was the husband's thing.

Share Post

I enjoyed the Pittsburgh episode, but co-sign what Doodlebug said above.

I assume they must be renting or Air BnBing the Nashville place at least part of the year.

Share Post

As someone who was a long-distance commuter for ~25 years (2 hours per day minimum), I scoffed at the Mississippi guy claiming  15 minutes was just too far from work. I get it, he's an ER doc, so maybe it was true, but I still scoffed.

Share Post