House Hunters: Buying in the USA

7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

So what do they look like/what makes them different/why do you need/want them?

Here's a blog from an expat in Singapore with pictures explaing the purposes. 

Share Post

4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Here's a blog from an expat in Singapore with pictures explaing the purposes. 

Thanks. Don't know why anyone would want this arrangement, which makes the MO woman's demands even more bizarre.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks. Don't know why anyone would want this arrangement, which makes the MO woman's demands even more bizarre.

Depends on how you cook, I was sort of surprised she wanted it because a lot of expats hate them. It was such a ridiculous ask in MO as was her acting like having two laundry rooms was a normal thing. 

Share Post

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I've never heard of wet/dry kitchens either, but the wife said the wet kitchen is for "dirty" cooking and the dry kitchen is for baking. Which makes no sense to me at all, because I make a much bigger mess when I bake - flour everywhere.

Even in the fanciest kosher homes that I've seen, they have one kitchen with two dishwashers (to keep the meat and dairy dishes completely separate).

I can see how separate kitchens would work for families who keep kosher or halal.  Also, for families with at least one person with a really sensitive allergy or other medical issue.

That said, I know what you mean about baking leaving huge messes!

Share Post

Well, if the main feature of a wet kitchen is that it's not air conditioned, I cannot see Her Ladyship ever using it.  I wonder if she was even aware of that when she was harping about it. I'd wager not.

Share Post

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, if the main feature of a wet kitchen is that it's not air conditioned, I cannot see Her Ladyship ever using it.  I wonder if she was even aware of that when she was harping about it. I'd wager not.

She was most likely quite familiar with them because they mentioned that they had lived in Singapore. 

Share Post

But surely she must have known that there were no wet and dry kitchens in the U.S.

Share Post

3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

But surely she must have known that there were no wet and dry kitchens in the U.S.

Yes which is why I am assuming she created it for tge show because it was a stupid ask. 

Share Post

14 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Her Ladyship

Hehe.

When I see house hunters demanding tons of square footage for their small/normal sized families, I feel as empty as the huge spaces they're about to buy. 

Share Post

8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Because they could apparently afford it and she wanted it.  There's a big difference between want and need.  Greedy witch.

And like the rest of us simple folks who are apparently in the dark about how the upper echelon live, what IS a dry kitchen?

It's an Asian thing though from what I have read, it's more like two parts of the same kitchen.  There's an area/countertop where you do things like pour cereal, make toast or sandwiches; stuff that isn't very messy and serve it there, too.  Then. there's a separate area where you cook messy stuff like fried foods, work with messier foods like chopping meat, etc and have the sink and dishwasher so clean up, which is more involved than the 'dry' part is easier.  Seems to me that many of us accomplish this using our kitchen islands or peninsulas or even serving cart; but. of course, this House Hunter expected two separate, fully equipped kitchens because she is just that special.

I've known a couple people with really fancy houses who had two kitchens (and a couple people with in law suites with small kitchenettes).  One of them has a home she and her husband built in an expensive suburb and it is a showplace and cost a couple mil which for where I live is the top of the line.  On the first floor of her home, she has sort of an open concept with a huge living space opening into a huge modern kitchen with top of the line everything.  At the back of that kitchen is an out of the way staircase down to another kitchen which is more of a workspace type kitchen. professional stove, huge refrigerator, etc.  Apparently, one has the caterers use that kitchen to make the food and bring it up the back stairs for serving in the 'show' kitchen.  Or to sneak it past the guests and pretend you made it yourself or something.  I don't live that lifestyle, so it's hard for me to fathom.  My friend really doesn't either, but has a huge family who often stay with her and she says, on weekends, there will often be several people cooking at once in both kitchens which is why she had it built and why she likes it.

Edited by doodlebug.

Share Post

OMG, that dimwitted Fefe and her tiny house idiocy made me stabby.   Wants a washer and dryer, a fireplace, a bathtub and apparently a main floor bedroom because she has a "thing" for ladders but all in 275 square feet. Then it has to have drywall but also be able to be moved so on wheels.  Does she not know that dragging that thing over rough roads will end up with cracks in the drywall?  Then she throws in the fact that she works from home so needs office space plus storage space.  NONE of these things scream tiny house, moron.

Share Post

2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

OMG, that dimwitted Fefe and her tiny house idiocy made me stabby.   Wants a washer and dryer, a fireplace, a bathtub and apparently a main floor bedroom because she has a "thing" for ladders but all in 275 square feet. Then it has to have drywall but also be able to be moved so on wheels.  Does she not know that dragging that thing over rough roads will end up with cracks in the drywall?  Then she throws in the fact that she works from home so needs office space plus storage space.  NONE of these things scream tiny house, moron.

As we were watching, my husband turned to me and said "She doesn't want a tiny house!" And who cares if the refrigerator is stainless steel? Why, HGTV, why? Especially since appliance manufacturers are already telling us in commercials we need black SS. Waiting for that to show up on HH and HGTV.

Share Post

Fefe and Her Tiny House in NC

I liked her friend a lot. He was pleasant and supportive. The camera would've caught me rolling my eyes at least a few times in his shoes, but he put his best foot forward. Her, on the other hand...When she mentioned wanting a beachy tiny house, all I could think of was a cabana. 

Share Post

12 hours ago, wovenloaf said:

He agrees to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars over the budget on a 5,000+ sq ft house, and then there's the ending scene where he's like "I was able to convert this room in the basement to my office" and it shows him going into what was essentially a large closet - cramped, no windows, and filled with mismatched Ikea furniture, next to the gym equipment.....

I want to believe that he chose this specific room so he could hide away from his b!tch wife! He kept saying the house was "too much" - size wise and financially.But, I guess in the end, it's worth spending the extra $300k to just shut her up! He was good looking and seemed so nice...I don't understand why he's with her? 

Share Post

Fefe is a giant pain in the butt.  What was with her and the small vanity?  In the first house that vanity WAS very, very small.  Hell how much smaller did she want it to be?  What was with her wanting glitz and glam?  Sorry, you're not going to get glitz in a tiny house.   And didn't she know that in a vast majority of tiny houses that the sleeping area is a loft?  I really liked her friend, and I wished he would have kicked her in the butt. 

Share Post

The voice of Fefe's friend was what kept me watching when I realized it was a switcheroo tiny house episode. He could solve so many problems in the world with that voice. (I am drifting away remembering it) He was so darn nice and professional! Yeah, he ninja'd the hell out of the second home, but still, he did it so professionally!  Eh, I kind of liked what she wound up doing. If I were single I would want girly glitz and simplicity. I would do a soft purple along with all shades of purple instead of the soft pink though. Hate the fireplace and tv on the wall, it looked horrible. Also, a lot of those downtown homes and the business section, riverfront shots with the large river boat, were in Wilmington a little bit north from Shallotte. My oldest son's prom was held on the boat going up and down the river (none of the kids had any appreciation for it, especially since it is an hour plus drive from our county). This episode reminded me of the couple who came from Delaware or somewhere, he was an anesthesiologist, and they showed Wilmington and Leland areas. Shallotte is in the same area, just down south a little more. I think she is getting a bargain in the lot rental, especially if it has some amenities like a pool and such. 

Ugh, the two kitchen woman. I heard her say it was an Asian thing (did they travel or something for work? I came in after the introductions and then when I realized she was horrible, I just fast forwarded and watched the reveal). There was an edition of Southern Living Magazine in 2017 where a home was showcased that had a "pretty kitchen" in the open concept area of the house and a work kitchen around the back of that part. Also, I think Shannon Beador had a kitchen kitchen and a catering kitchen in her previous home. I loved that house, sad to see their whole life turned upside down. I was only a casual viewer of the OC franchise but I loved Shannon's house.

Edited by stewedsquash.

Share Post

34 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

did they travel or something for work? I came in after the introductions and then when I realized she was horrible, I just fast forwarded and watched the reveal)

Yes it was mentioned tgat they lived in various places for his job including Singapore.

Share Post

On 4/13/2018 at 8:55 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Fefe is a giant pain in the butt.  What was with her and the small vanity?  In the first house that vanity WAS very, very small.  Hell how much smaller did she want it to be?  What was with her wanting glitz and glam?  Sorry, you're not going to get glitz in a tiny house.   And didn't she know that in a vast majority of tiny houses that the sleeping area is a loft?  I really liked her friend, and I wished he would have kicked her in the butt. 

The HH voiceover called her a "self-proclaimed diva." Let's see how long tiny living lasts!

Share Post

Buffalo engaged couple wanting a ton of things on a shoestring budget, well at least the woman did.  The guy was pretty laid back, except for wanting a detached garage with a workshop for his projects.  I had to agree with the woman that a detached garage in Buffalo seemed odd.  I think he wanted to get away from her voice.  What's with these young women and their shrill, upspeak voices.  She worked with seals or porpoises or dolphins at the aquarium I think, so maybe that voice was an asset in her line of work.   I turned on closed captioning for the last house they toured.  

The house they chose was the best of the 3, IMO, and it had a high ceilinged basement which will make it less cave like when they get around to finishing it.  I can't remember which house had a bathroom where the toilet was in the front part of the room with a doorway dividing it from the tub and vanity portion.  That's totally reversed from what is usually done.  It may have been the house they chose, but no one mentioned that.  Reversed with a door installed, would make the bathroom usable for 2 people if one was taking a shower and the other person wanted to put on makeup or wash their hands.  At least there was no mention of needing 2 sinks, but they said they have never lived together in their several years of dating, so I guess they don't know yet that they can't possibly exist with only 1 sink in the bathroom.          

Share Post

Re Missouri diva needing 2 kitchens: I had a Vietnamese friend who put a stove in her laundry room (she could’ve done that!). My friend said she did because so much of their food was fried or sautéed and made a big mess. So really she just needed the range top, not so much the oven.  But from what I could see, that little alcove only had an oven, not a range top. I don’t know about her, but I don’t make a big mess in my oven. No need for a “wet” kitchen for that!

Share Post

Fefe Fefe Fefe.  Maybe one of the most annoying house hunters in recent memory.  Agree with above poster...did she want a doll house vanity?  She may be very pleasant and was just putting on the diva act for the teevee.  But boy, I just wanted to slap her.

And where did they film the scenic river scenes?  As posted from someone above, it sure did look like Wilmingon.  Which is maybe 50 miles north of Shallotte...maybe a little less.  I hope FeFe enjoys her house...her friend was a keeper.  Wouldn't mind seeing her in an episode of Where Are They Now.  Or Look What They Have Done To Their House.  Or in Fefe's case, her She Shed.

Share Post

OK, did people see last nights one?  The three friends in Atlanta?  From the way the woman talked about the house, and the "starting our own life", I kinda got the feeling they were a polyamorous relationship.  Just me?

Share Post

39 minutes ago, Janie430 said:

OK, did people see last nights one?  The three friends in Atlanta?  From the way the woman talked about the house, and the "starting our own life", I kinda got the feeling they were a polyamorous relationship.  Just me?

I saw that episode and, honestly, I didn't know what to make of them, although I concluded that the "starting our own life" comment was in reference just to her and the boyfriend who purchased the house.  What I thought was strange was that after she said that, he didn't have much of a reaction.   In any event, I hope he can afford the mortgage by himself, just in case the relationships go south. 

Share Post

55 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I saw that episode and, honestly, I didn't know what to make of them, although I concluded that the "starting our own life" comment was in reference just to her and the boyfriend who purchased the house.  What I thought was strange was that after she said that, he didn't have much of a reaction.   In any event, I hope he can afford the mortgage by himself, just in case the relationships go south. 

I liked that he was concerned about the budget and said that he was the one on the hook for it. I didn't think three-way relationship, particularly since the girlfriend made a joke about children and he didn't seem into it. I DID think the podcast discussion of which house to buy was kind of corny.

Share Post

I got the feeling that Atlanta HH and his girlfriend were not on the same page. He sees moving her in as a way to help with his mortgage and she thinks it's a step towards marriage and children. The voiceover lady even said explicitly in the beginning that both the girlfriend and the buddy would be paying rent. There have been other episodes where a girlfriend/boyfriend would be moving in with the HH, but there was never any mention of rent. Like @Ohwell said, I hope he can manage the mortgage on his own, because I don't see that relationship lasting long.

Did the HH say what he did for a living aside from podcasting?

Share Post

Regarding Atlanta Trio, I saw zero chemistry between the couple. On a shallow note, not fat shaming, but her gut area looked awful in those jeans. She needed to wear a longer shirt. 

Share Post

On 4/7/2018 at 11:02 AM, laredhead said:

Can basements be made to smell like the rest of the house - clean and fresh?  

I lived in Philly and the basement was just for the washer/dryer & the oil furnace. It was dark and clammy, with the bare foundation showing. My understanding is a lot of the older houses in Philly were like that. I lived in DC and we never had dampness or mustiness with a finished basement. I'm in the Midwest now, where you kinda need a basement because of the tornadoes. The 2 places I've lived in have had finished basements, no mustiness.  I guess it all depends on how the basement is finished and if there is good drainage around the foundation.

Share Post

8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The voiceover lady even said explicitly in the beginning that both the girlfriend and the buddy would be paying rent.

One has to wonder if this was just play acting to get 15 minutes of fame and appear on TV.  They may have been little more than acquaintances.  Certainly appeared that way.

Share Post

Anaheim episode with the doctor and lawyer buying their first house after searching for the perfect east facing front door house for 3 years.  This couple has gone to the top of my most annoying HH's list.  The word pretentious came to mind all through the episode.  I think they needed to keep the floor to ceiling mirrors in both the living room and dining rooms because there wasn't enough reflective space in that house for each of them to admire themselves.  Her comment about the 4-year old daughter tripping on the stairs made me laugh.  Where do some of these HH's get the idea that children cannot climb stairs?

I knew that was the house they would choose since the front door faced directly east.  That long suffering real estate agent had to be a relative or really need the commission to have stuck with those 2 for 3 years.  In the end she was planning to take out perfectly good granite counter tops and replace them with another granite top, and either replace the cabinets or refinish them.  I'm sure they will be white, but I don't think she ever said what color, only that the present color was not to her liking.  The last scene showed her and the hubby pulling away a corner of the bathroom carpet and her asking what was under it.  Uh, it's the padding, lady.  I'm sure she's never seen what goes into a house, only the end result.  Yes, I would have removed the bathroom carpet too, but to pretend that these 2 would have had anything remotely to do with a home renovation project was laughable.      

Share Post

8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I got the feeling that Atlanta HH and his girlfriend were not on the same page. He sees moving her in as a way to help with his mortgage and she thinks it's a step towards marriage and children. The voiceover lady even said explicitly in the beginning that both the girlfriend and the buddy would be paying rent. There have been other episodes where a girlfriend/boyfriend would be moving in with the HH, but there was never any mention of rent. Like @Ohwell said, I hope he can manage the mortgage on his own, because I don't see that relationship lasting long.

Did the HH say what he did for a living aside from podcasting?

He was an engineer. And I thought the same thing about them not being on the same page, which is a thing you really should get straight before you move in with someone. She definitely saw it as a progression in their relationship and I don't think he did. I could see them having the "Where is this going?" conversation and ending up on different sides.

The Anaheim Hills husband had a speech impediment. The wife seemed like a lot. When she said there's no way she was cleaning a pool, I was like "No shit." There was nothing about her that said "skimming leaves." They'll outsource that like I'm sure they do most of their other household maintenance tasks - they probably have ample money and less time. You could tell their agent was sick of them.

5 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Anaheim episode with the doctor and lawyer buying their first house after searching for the perfect east facing front door house for 3 years.  This couple has gone to the top of my most annoying HH's list.  The word pretentious came to mind all through the episode.  I think they needed to keep the floor to ceiling mirrors in both the living room and dining rooms because there wasn't enough reflective space in that house for each of them to admire themselves.  Her comment about the 4-year old daughter tripping on the stairs made me laugh.  Where do some of these HH's get the idea that children cannot climb stairs?

I knew that was the house they would choose since the front door faced directly east.  That long suffering real estate agent had to be a relative or really need the commission to have stuck with those 2 for 3 years.  In the end she was planning to take out perfectly good granite counter tops and replace them with another granite top, and either replace the cabinets or refinish them.  I'm sure they will be white, but I don't think she ever said what color, only that the present color was not to her liking.  The last scene showed her and the hubby pulling away a corner of the bathroom carpet and her asking what was under it.  Uh, it's the padding, lady.  I'm sure she's never seen what goes into a house, only the end result.  Yes, I would have removed the bathroom carpet too, but to pretend that these 2 would have had anything remotely to do with a home renovation project was laughable.      

Also, kids get older and more capable of climbing stairs as time goes on. Jesus. She's not going to be little for that much longer. (She was cute. "I can do surgery and shots!")

Share Post

Where do some of these HH's get the idea that children cannot climb stairs?

With all the unnecessary and often untrue bragging people do about their children, why do so many in turn make their kids seem completely uncoordinated and unable to navigate the simplest terrain?  Geez....it seems they'd be shouting from the rooftop how their 4 year old can back handspring down an entire flight of stairs, instead of falling to their death off of a five inch step. 

I gave up on these two right around the second house.  They were sooooo impressed with themselves.  Glad they found each other.  I was also surprised with her Dr. Kardashian look that she chose to wear her scrubs for her big t.v. debut instead of a different evening gown for each scene.  But even the scrubs came across as pretentious, like a fake scammer who wears a stethoscope to the bar. 

Share Post

7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

He was an engineer. And I thought the same thing about them not being on the same page, which is a thing you really should get straight before you move in with someone. She definitely saw it as a progression in their relationship and I don't think he did. I could see them having the "Where is this going?" conversation and ending up on different sides.

The Anaheim Hills husband had a speech impediment. The wife seemed like a lot. When she said there's no way she was cleaning a pool, I was like "No shit." There was nothing about her that said "skimming leaves." They'll outsource that like I'm sure they do most of their other household maintenance tasks - they probably have ample money and less time. You could tell their agent was sick of them.

Also, kids get older and more capable of climbing stairs as time goes on. Jesus. She's not going to be little for that much longer. (She was cute. "I can do surgery and shots!")

7 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

With all the unnecessary and often untrue bragging people do about their children, why do so many in turn make their kids seem completely uncoordinated and unable to navigate the simplest terrain?  Geez....it seems they'd be shouting from the rooftop how their 4 year old can back handspring down an entire flight of stairs, instead of falling to their death off of a five inch step. 

I gave up on these two right around the second house.  They were sooooo impressed with themselves.  Glad they found each other.  I was also surprised with her Dr. Kardashian look that she chose to wear her scrubs for her big t.v. debut instead of a different evening gown for each scene.  But even the scrubs came across as pretentious, like a fake scammer who wears a stethoscope to the bar. 

Seriously, I am constantly having to pull my 10 month old granddaughter down from the things she climbs up. If it goes up, she goes up it. 

Share Post

I swear I've seen at least one other episode before where the HH wanted the house to face east, and I believe it was an Indian HH as well. I have to ask one of my Indian friends what that's about.

9 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I was also surprised with her Dr. Kardashian look that she chose to wear her scrubs for her big t.v. debut instead of a different evening gown for each scene.  But even the scrubs came across as pretentious, like a fake scammer who wears a stethoscope to the bar. 

My thoughts exactly. "Dr. Kardashian" down to the over-the-top makeup and hair extensions. The voiceover lady called them a "power couple" several times. Blech.

9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Also, kids get older and more capable of climbing stairs as time goes on. Jesus. She's not going to be little for that much longer.

My five-year-old nephew is all smug that he gets to go on the stairs and his one-year-old cousin doesn't. "Stairs are for big boys," according to him.

Edited by chocolatine.

Share Post

I wonder what kind of doctor the Anaheim wife is?  One things for sure, I don’t think I’d want her to be my doctor, especially if she paints her face like that every day.  What is it with these parents and their concern over things that can happen?  Anaheim wife didn’t like steps or a pool.  There was a Mom the other day who said the pond, which was quite far from the house, was an accident waiting to happen.  Haven’t these people heard of fences?

Edited by KLovestoShop.

Share Post

KLovestoShop, I believe that was the eastern Kansas couple who couldn't agree (big shock) on size of lot or house style.  He wanted 20 acres and a house that needed some work.  All she wanted was a place to do her artwork and get away from the husband and 2 boys.  As long as she got what she wanted, she was going to be happy.  Those 2 boys would have a blast growing up on 20 acres with a pond.  The dad wanted to show the boys how to fix things like his dad had done with him, and he loved home improvement project.  I was thinking the entire episode why I couldn't find a man like that because I love that type of thing too.  What a wonderful childhood those boys will have on the 20 acres, and their memories of helping their day will stay with them.  In the end the wife won on the no pond ultimatum, and she got her art studio area, but the husband got his 20 acres and a great workshop.   

Share Post

14 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

One things for sure, I don’t think I’d want her to be my doctor,

I am serious that it took only three words out of her mouth to turn me off.  They were both pretty plastic.  I'm guessing that she is in the cosmetic surgery medical field.  Or...since it was in Anaheim, perhaps they were really Disney audio animatronic people.

Share Post

9 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Did the woman in Naples, FL seem ditzy to anyone else?

Yes. I still have to finish it, but in 5 minutes I watched, she annoyed me. 

Share Post

43 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Did the woman in Naples, FL seem ditzy to anyone else?

Yes, she seemed to think there was something really cute about acting like an idiot.  No way she had the money, the time or the expertise to completely renovate the first home and she knew it, IMO.  But, yet, she had to run through the place declaring she was gonna knock out walls and rebuild it from the studs out. She's one of those folks who thinks it's adorable to be quirky! and perky!  No.  It's not.

Also, if your plan for homeownership involves renting out bedrooms in your house to strangers in order to pay the mortgage, you really need another plan.  It's one thing to buy a duplex or a place with a separate apartment for rental income; letting strangers share your living space is not cool once you're out of college.

Share Post