All Episodes Talk: DC Super Hero Girls: Get Your Cape On!

I like the merchandise associated with the line... I'm anxiously waiting for the dolls to get released (and my daughter will be welcome to play with some of my dolls if she likes *grin*). But I hate the webisodes. It's high school hijinks using superhero names and looks, but it's not superheroics. I want my daughter to see something age-appropriate, yes, but age-appropriate superheroines actually doing heroism... more like SBFF.

Share Post

Press release about the special:

Tune into Boomerang on Saturday, March 19 at 10 a.m. for an action-packed hour with Super Hero High, a special featuring the stellar lineup of female Super Heroes from DC Super Hero Girls, the new comic universe from Warner Bros. Consumer Products, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and Mattel. In addition to the special, exclusive shorts inspired by this fun and immersive world that encourages girls to discover their own super-heroic potential are also now available to view on the Cartoon Network video app.

More info at the link.

Share Post

I get what you're all saying, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that this line has been released.

But there hasn't been a non-sexualized option for my niece at all. And now there is.

How was SHS for boys only? That's one of the few toy lines to release pretty much every female hero in addition to the males. They are a bit before my son's time but I've been buying them on ebay to augment his Playskool Heroes sets and it's just great that I can find almost every female I can think of because he thinks female superheroes are just as great as male ones and I don't want his lack of female figure to make him think otherwise. He has Spider-woman and Volcana (who is Firestar as far as he's concerned) in his Spider-man house. And Scarlet Witch, Wasp, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Sif and Black Widow in his Avengers set. I already have some female X-Men and the Invisible Woman in the attic for when his superhero tastes branch out.

I do custom figures so I have lots of the 2 variations of the Black Widow figures (which cost cents on ebay) and some Gwen Stacys to turn into other characters. He's already got custom Batgirl (Black Widow V1) and Supergirl (Gwen Stacy) and will be getting Batwoman (Black Widow V2) in his Easter basket. Because the DC Imaginext toys are fabulous but have only a handful of female figures to date and all but Wonder Woman are villains.

Share Post

Here's the trailer for the special... and look who's here (with a square tail on the \S/, no less)!

Share Post

Also, here's an "unboxing" video of the toys, from NY Toy Fair (also from the official DCSHG YouTube channel):

Share Post

Glad Kara has stuff to do, finally. Not loving her outfit, which I guess has been the same as in the previous glimpses we have had of the character, but she's been on so sparingly I didn't notice till now.

The random white collar strikes me as ugly and unnecessary. :shrug:

Edited by Chicago Redshirt.

Share Post

Here's the second trailer for the special... it does give away at least one partial surprise.

I watched the show this morning.  Given that it's rated TV-Y7 (which is about as young as anything but TeleTubbies) and aimed at that age range, it was fun, and had a few nice DCU Easter eggs thrown in. Anyone who knows the comics will figure out the "mystery" almost immediately, but my hunch is that most of the kids won't have that background.  All in all, it was a fun watch.

Share Post

I wish they'd do a smaller set of figures, like about Playmobil scale :). I kind of want to put Wonder Woman up against my Playmobil History sets :). And, in all seriousness, my own superhero girl, at the older end of the age range, is more into making model worlds than Barbie type play, so some super hero girl figures that are bigger than the Lego ones, but smaller than the current line would come in handy and fit more into the 'tween market which is more into crafting and cosplay themselves. That's one thing My Little Pony has done right-you can get ponies in a range of sizes.

Share Post

I wish they'd do a smaller set of figures, like about Playmobil scale :). I kind of want to put Wonder Woman up against my Playmobil History sets :). And, in all seriousness, my own superhero girl, at the older end of the age range, is more into making model worlds than Barbie type play, so some super hero girl figures that are bigger than the Lego ones, but smaller than the current line would come in handy and fit more into the 'tween market which is more into crafting and cosplay themselves. That's one thing My Little Pony has done right-you can get ponies in a range of sizes.

What about Imaginext. You can get Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Harley and Poison Ivy fairly easily. And they have just released Batgirl on a very cool Batbike, though she is like gold dust at the moment. She might be more available by Christmas. Or if you don't like the look of the Imaginext Wonder Woman, because I think she is a bit bland and disappointing, you can get the Action League figures on ebay. There is classic Wonder Woman, Flashpoint Wonder Woman (who in my house lives in my son's castle playset as a cool female knight) and Element Girl, who's a very obscure character to have a figure in a toyline aimed at young children but there are a lot of Flashpoint characters in that line. Imaginext figures are better as the stand easier and are fully articulated.

Edited by AllyB.

Share Post

Heh.. Season 2 of the webisodes premiered this week, although this one's more of a prequel for the TV special.

Share Post

They had to do it... Batgirl v Supergirl!

Also, the Super Hero High cartoon is apparently going to run on Cartoon Network on Monday, May 30.

Share Post

Fortune has an interview with Diane Nelson (head of DC Entertainment) about DC Super Hero Girls.  Very business-focused, of course.

Why choose the teenage years for these characters?

In some of our comic books, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are villains, but in high school, the characters are discovering their strengths and weaknesses while sitting alongside Wonder Woman and Supergirl. If you look at Batman and Superman, there are adaptations that appeal to six year olds, as well as 40 year-olds. I hope that young girls get the things I hear about from every fanboy—an incredible sense of empowerment and aspiration. It’s about getting hope and inspiration from powerful role models. It’s about saving the day, alongside men.

Share Post

New HQ-centric episode!  Nice to see Batgirl going around in-costume now!

Share Post

For everyone who asked why there wasn't a Katana doll in the DCSHG toy line... apparently, they wanted to make her special.

Get ready to add some flair to your shelves because the first DC Super Hero Girls Katana action doll is almost here. The collectible from Mattel will debut in style as an exclusive item at San Diego Comic-Con in July....

She's a talented sword-fighter, and the 12-inch Katana doll has all the right accessories to ensure she can keep her fighting techniques sharp while she resides on your shelf. You can pose Katana with her legendary katana (of course), two sai, three shuriken, a naginata or a sheathed tanto.

Share Post

Time to get caught up here... first, Harley gets Hero of the Month (listen for the Easter egg phrase near the very end of the clip):

Then, Batgirl's tech gets ahead of her...

Share Post

I haven't updated the shorts in here for a while (they're all on the YT site in multiple languages), but here's a Sneak Peek at the "Hero of the Year" movie.  Note the expanded set of heroes in the titles, and also Diana's costume change near the beginning.... :)

Share Post

The SuperHero Girls have released their first music video... with Fifth Harmony.

Share Post

I just watched the "Hero of the Year" movie on OnDemand; it was less predictable than the original Super Hero High movie was, and there was one cameo I did NOT expect at all!  Very nicely done!

Share Post

It was better than I'd been expecting after seeing some of the episodes.  I'll never be a fan of making everyone the same age and turning everyone good or evil into students (or teachers) at the same school and they play fast and loose with secret identities, but I enjoyed the plot and the interactions and yeah, the Girl Power.  

Completely confused on the ages and timeline though since

Spoiler

Lois Lane is still a teen

but the show implied Clark is all grown up since there's no Superman or Batman at the school (but there is Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, and Hal Jordan as Green Lantern)

Share Post

So its been a while, folks............

"Fourth Season"  has just begun, and a "new" Super Hero Girl is about to join the team.

Hal Jordan has been "put on a bus", and Jessica is about to be the new Lantern.

For those who don't read comics, Jessica Cruz stumbled upon the Lantern ring of the (deceased) Evil Earth-3 Green Lantern who called himself "Power Ring".

In these kid-friendly web cartoons, Jessica is Lois Lane's camera-person, who apparently is afraid of her own shadow.

Share Post

These are the first shorts I've seen that had a full credits sequence padding them out.

I've noticed that, in addition to the semi-annual "movies" like "Welcome to Super-Hero High," they've been doing more multi-part stories in the shorts like the one with Lena Luthor and the Kryptomites.  If they're willing to do that, I have to think the project is working well for them.

Share Post

It reminds me of what they did with "Gotham Girls".

The first "season" (or two) was just quick "one and done" adventures.

In the final "season", they made a big story arc, which I found much more enjoyable.

P.S.  I got the complete (one season) series of the live-action show "Birds of Prey",

and it includes (as a "special feature") every webisode of "Gotham Girls".

I watch those more than I watch the actual live-action show.

Bwah-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA-Ha!!!

Share Post

So, "Ring Me Maybe" went to 4 episodes.... and ends with

Spoiler

Lois actually recognizing someone (Jessica) who was wearing a mask!

And there's a teaser trailer for the next ep... introducing yet ANOTHER DC Hero...

Share Post