S05.E01: Infestation 2015.10.04

It's that most wonderful time of the year - Autumn and the coming of Halloween!! Season 5 of Halloween Wars kicks off with it's first episode, Infestation, airing October 4th, 2015.

Episode synopsis:  Five teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator, and sugar artist go to battle to create mind-blowing Halloween-themed displays that capture a terrifying infestation. At the end of the battle, one team will be eliminated with help from a special guest judge, actor Robin Atkin Downes from The Strain.

Share Post

After watching other seasons, I really can't stand this host.

I thought it was just me who couldn't stand him.

They must not have a lot of people wanting to be on the show.  So many people this season seem to have been on before from the introductions. 

Share Post

I was prepared to dislike the new host because I was fond of Justin Willman but I ended up liking him just fine.  He used most of the same lines and even pulled a couple of Justin's goofy gags so I assume most of that was producer-driven.  I was happy with him.  He's cute too.

I love this show and all the holiday themed shows because they feature talented people who are who they say they are.  I have no problem with people being on for a second or third time.  There were familiar faces on the old Challenge all the time.  I liked that because I got to "know" them.

Share Post

I didn't mind Rossi Moreale.  He seemed like he was trying too hard - especially when he and Shinmin Li were joking about whether the former host (they didn't mention Justin by name) used to do whatever Rossi was doing at the moment.  But overall I can't say I minded him.  (btw - does anyone know why Justin Willman isn't hosting it this year?)

I'm not sure yet how I feel about any of the teams, other than that the woman who specializes in buttercream sculpting (I think she's on Team Morbid Morticians?) might get on my nerves.  

Too bad for the zombie dropping the phone, because that was a pretty decent work, but I agreed that the orange pumpkin deserved the win for the smaller challenge.  That face was the best thing in it.

Infestation is a gross subject anyway, but I wasn't a fan of MM's motel scene.  It was less "Halloween" and more "disgusting".

I liked the crawly effect of the centipede work but the child's eyeball was too cartoonish for that one to win. Glad they managed a second window, but wish the editing didn't make every drama so end-of-the-world.

I would have liked the movie theatre scene to win.  Those seats were great, even if the characters were cartoonish.

The two in the bottom were easy to pick out even while the work was going on.  The exterminator work just looked like a bunch of spun sugar and it was obvious they'd get tagged for the lack of detail in the shape.  And why do devils even count as an infestation?  There was some good detail work on some of the faces in that one, but in general it didn't work.

Still, glad to have this show back for another Halloween month.

Share Post

I love this show but miss Justin. I did think Rossi was hot on "Temptation Island" many moons ago, though.

I love spiders and want to try that tasting element so I was sad that team got bounced. That lawyer was awful.

Share Post

New host sounds like he's reading from a script. 

I had to laugh at the guy in "Two Ghouls and a Guy" because he just walked right out as soon as their name was called at the end. He didn't even think about waiting for the ghouls. 

Share Post

I liked this episode overall. I actually liked the spiderweb infestation, but I get what they said about no hint of a person there. But it was good. First time I've seen the judges raves about ALL of the treats.

Did think the demon "infested" Lawyer team should have lost though.

Really liked the cockroach/gross landlord in motel challenge, but yeah, the ButterCream Queen is annoying - it seems to be all about her.

New host is okay, but I think he's trying too hard. Still, love the artistry and the sheer talent these people have. Amazing.

Share Post

What was up with the curly cue, villain twirling mustaches in this episode. How can anyone think that's a good look?! Only if you are an evil cartoon character.

The buttercream lady got on my nerves as well. Its icing woman calm down you didn't cure cancer or something!

Share Post

I don't find that big a difference between Justin and Rossi. Since Cupcake Wars is long gone Justin probably didn't want to keep doing this.

I don't see how the motel won over the movie theatre. I thought it was the clear winner. Bigger shock is the loser. That devil's due piece was--not good. The other team was stupid to wrap their body entirely in in sugar web but the details were still better than that other mess.

I still wish they'd bring the Going Bats back every year and just have the other teams compete for second. No other team has ever come close to their work.

Share Post