All Episodes Talk: Court is now in session

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

YES! We're about halfway through the season. Not sure how I feel about it, but I feel compelled to see it through to the end. 

Share Post

YES! We're about halfway through the season. Not sure how I feel about it, but I feel compelled to see it through to the end. 

That's how I felt about it after episode 4 too. I thought it improved beginning with episode 5.

Share Post

I was surprised to read of the critics hating on this show. I felt like the rape storyline mostly got ignored and not fully explored. Yes, Judge Harris got away with quite a bit. But I really liked the fleshed out characters. Even if the situations could be eye-rolling. Example, KD is a very scary zealot killer but I felt for him when he could not see the fruits of his hard work in regard to the lawn.

Share Post

I agree about the rape storyline. For the event that set everything else in motion, it seemed to get short shrift. In fact, I don't understand what it was all about.

Share Post

I really enjoyed it, and am also surprised to see the critical critiques. I don't think this was nearly as ludicrous in terms of plot and scope as many other shows (particularly much more "acclaimed" ones). I felt that what really grounded the series was the powerful performances and how the characters were very fleshed out, not caricatures like you often find. There were a few predictable moments, and I felt that the last minute revelation was a bit unearned. It seemed as if they started out with this idea of a story and an ending, but then they got so invested in the characters and wonderfully let them take us on their own journey, through their own voices, only to get caught up at the end needing to cap it off and bring it back to the original plot, but suddenly with no time to properly get it there. I think it might have been better to leave it as more of a cliffhanger in regards to the "whodunit" aspect, because I think that trying to wrap it up did a disservice to the incredible character arcs that were otherwise present.

Yes, there were a few missteps along the way (and I still can't help but feel as if KD's story got cut a little short, and Alicia and Paul took a sort of strange turn from their roles in the pilot; frankly, I liked them much better in episodes 2-10 than in episode 1), but otherwise, it was a very good series all the way through. Very grounded, in a way that much of what is out there in terms of "concept" stories isn't. 

I'm not sure where they will go with a season 2 (though they laid some groundwork for it), but if they don't get one, I feel very satisfied by what they left us with here.

Share Post

My two favorite shows of the late 80's were China Beach and Beauty and the Beast. I was in heaven

watching Ron Perlman and Dana Delany acting together.  I found the show to be engrossing. I hope

there is a season two.

Share Post

I'm about to start episode 3.

Would have said the same at the time, but I never did start the third episode, so at this point I can say I stopped watching. Nothing wrong with the show, just... exactly not what I am looking for right now.

Share Post

Just saw yesterday that Season 2 is out on Prime.  Four episodes in already but I think I need to go back a bit because I have forgotten who a lot of the characters are!

Share Post

On 3/10/2017 at 8:39 PM, wiscmom said:

Just saw yesterday that Season 2 is out on Prime.  Four episodes in already but I think I need to go back a bit because I have forgotten who a lot of the characters are!

Yep, me too. At least eps  9 and 10

Share Post

On 3/10/2017 at 8:39 PM, wiscmom said:

Just saw yesterday that Season 2 is out on Prime.  Four episodes in already but I think I need to go back a bit because I have forgotten who a lot of the characters 

Edited by OoogleEyes. Reason: Double nonsense

Share Post

I'm almost through S2.  It took a while to get on its feet and the production values sometimes falter but I'm really enjoying it.  By the time Bathwater and "why God is talking through Pernell" finally come together it's really quite cool.

I'm enjoying it very much.

(I am terribly distracted watching Dana Delaney's botox journey which is part of the production value complaint.)

ETA:  Sometimes the budget shows through because the choreography on the fight scene in the jail cell is just awful and Perleman can do much better than that, I've seen it.  Also there are a few actors who are sub-par and when you get them all in the same room, the whole ensemble suffers.

Edited by Captanne.

Share Post

Binged the whole 2 seasons over the last week. Overall I liked it, but if they had cut out the two Reverend Paul & his girlfriend plots: "religion for fun and profit", and "our parishioners won't accept us having out-of-wedlock sex & a bayyyybeeee", they could have had 2 really tight 6 or 7 episode seasons of Pernell and KD following clues to what really happened to PJ and why.

Paul & Alicia worked to introduce Pernell to both "God" and KD, but other than that most of the time spent on them was wasted.

Edited by NeenerNeener.

Share Post

Finished the series.  I felt a bit -- dropped off the end of it but that's all right.  Spotty show has spotty end.  It had flashes of "really great."

Man, but this was some Old Testament God, though, huh?  I think my favourite scene was the final conference table confrontation.  Anyone who knows the Old Testament story knows that there are serious grudges on both sides.  

Share Post

I've just finished episode seven, season two. I really need to wait until I can focus more, before putting these shows on. So, he's really getting visions? The doctor couldn't explain what was happening. 

Share Post

Spoiler

Yes.  He's Old Testament God and skinny Billionaire is Satan.

Share Post

The whole series is a thick inedible mash,
Unlogish, without voltage, yawn ... switched off to S2E5

Share Post