The Real Men of Easy Company: Documentaries, Books, their lives, and their Final Jump

It's now been 13 years since BoB originally aired on HBO (and even longer since Stephen Ambrose's book that inspired the miniseries).  Since then, several documentaries have been done about them (as well as other Airborne units), several books have been written about them, and many of the men have written books sharing their perspectives and experiences.

Also, during that time since the original airing, several members of Easy Company have passed on; most recently Bill Guarnere died on March 8th, Babe Heffron on December 1, 2013, and Frank Perconte on October 21, 2013.  Donald Malarkey, now 92 years old, is the last surviving member of the men featured in Band of Brothers, and only eighteen men of Easy Company (both Toccoa men and Replacements) remain.

Rather than typing up a brief recap for it, I figure this speaks for itself:

Share Post

I believe Edward Shames (the screaming lieutenant) is still alive.

Yup -- just checked, and Ed Shames, now 91 years old, is alive and well in Virginia Beach.  I just read the Wikipedia entry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Shames ) for him, and from what's written there about him, he remained in the Army as a Reservist and retired with the rank of Colonel.

Wikipedia also has an entry for the List of Easy Company (506 PIR) veterans, which makes for a quick go-to link to find out the current status of the surviving Men of Easy:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Easy_Company_(506_PIR)_veterans

Edited by OriginalCyn.

Share Post

Aww, he was my favorite. I saw him in a documentary at the WWII museum this summer and in the documentary he discussed his wife Irene who had already passed away and noted he still felt married to her. At least he is with her now.

Share Post