Unpopular Opinions

This is the place to safely confess the Alias-related opinions you've found to be unpopular or just plain odd! 

My views may well be skewed by the fact that I just binge watched this series all at once for the first time---but definitely not the last. I had always held off on watching this show for various reasons, but I'm now totally obsessed and have already ordered the entire thing on DVD :) 

1. This is officially my favorite JJ Abrams show now---and this is coming from someone who loves LOST more than most :) I know it had numerous flaws, but somehow they never marred my overall love for the show.  

2) I LOVE Sydney. And Michael. And Michael/Sydney. They're now on that short list of couples who I "ship" to a shameful degree. I wasn't surprised to learn that they dated in real life. 

3) I had heard nothing but criticisms of the final three seasons, so imagine my surprise to find that S5 turned out to be my very favorite! Objectively, I can understand the issues people had with it, but for some reason it just worked for me on every level. (I had the unpopular opinion of loving LOST's final season as well...maybe I'm just a sentimental sucker for the way JJ ties things up at the end irrespective of what preceded it!) 

4) This show singlehandedly made me love Jennifer Garner, who I had never much cared for before. And I actually feel Sydney Bristow is underrated as a heroine.  

5) I loved Amy Acker in this (she's one reason for my unpopular S5 love!), and I have pretty much never liked Amy Acker before in anything ever!

6)  The show really overdid the conflict and angst and vaguely nonsensical "twists" sometimes, but somehow no matter how dark and/or convoluted it became it never lost its emotional hook for me or totally strayed from the infectiously fun energy that reeled me in 

Edited by amensisterfriend.

Share Post

I think most of your opinions are actually really popular about those of us who watched it live especially in regards to all things Sydney. For me, the show dipped lowest in quality only when she was less around (ie. when she became pregnant). She was the soul of the show and yes, hugely underrated. Sydney/Vaughn were a huge pairing and while they had issues, for me, they didn't have anyone else viable for Sydney as a partner. I also fell in love with Garner in this show, and I will always have a soft spot for her from when she was on. As evidenced by the posts in this forum, the show is a classic and was even a bit ahead of its time.

Share Post

I always felt that Lauren being evil was a cheat. It felt like the writers couldn't be bothered to try and make her likeable any more.

Share Post

One unpopular opinion I have is that I loved the Rambaldi stuff, even though people said it was too much in S3. Granted, the resolution of most Rambaldi threads was inadequate - the set up tended to build up the anticipation too much but landing the damn things proved to be tough (il dire anyone?) But the little unexplained pieces fascinated me so much. The 500 year old clock maker, hidden manuscripts, the Prophecy, all of it. I loved how a forgotten Rambaldi artefact could suddenly find use in some future episode. Was Rambaldi a good guy? Or the idea that maybe he just was, and that his followers fell into the two camps of good and evil? 

But all these fantastical elements of the show needed to be grounded by Will/Francine, or homework or office politics or relationship and family troubles. When the balance was off, notably in S3 and then swinging too much the other way for large parts of S4, that's when Rambaldi became a scapegoat, imo.

Share Post

I liked Will and Sydney as a couple.  In fact, I preferred Will and Sydney as a couple.  Also, I didn't have a problem with Melissa George's acting ability.

Share Post

Even though Will was a bit annoying in the first couple of seasons, I didn't realize how much I missed him until he came back later. Seriously, he should have been the new regular instead of Balthazar Getty's character.

Share Post

One unpopular opinion I have is that I loved the Rambaldi stuff, even though people said it was too much in S3. Granted, the resolution of most Rambaldi threads was inadequate - the set up tended to build up the anticipation too much but landing the damn things proved to be tough (il dire anyone?) But the little unexplained pieces fascinated me so much. The 500 year old clock maker, hidden manuscripts, the Prophecy, all of it. I loved how a forgotten Rambaldi artefact could suddenly find use in some future episode. Was Rambaldi a good guy? Or the idea that maybe he just was, and that his followers fell into the two camps of good and evil? 

I loved the Rambaldi stuff too.  I think it set the show apart from just typical spy stuff and I liked that the missions were all kind of connected because of the Rambali thread.  There probably never was going to be a way for them to do a decent pay off of all that though.  It would have been funny if it turned out it was all meaningless and not magical.  All these evil people were running around the world and literally was just collecting old clocks that didn't lead to eternal life (or whatever).

My other unpopular opinion is that I didn't like when they started sending Vaughn on missions.  I loved Vaughn and I loved Sydney/Vaughn but I liked the dynamic of him being her handler and her being in the field.

Share Post

My other unpopular opinion is that I didn't like when they started sending Vaughn on missions.  I loved Vaughn and I loved Sydney/Vaughn but I liked the dynamic of him being her handler and her being in the field.

Couldn't agree more!! The dynamic of handler/agent, who are also falling in love, was so good. Vaughn could get to places and find out things that Syd couldn't. And Syd could do things Vaughn couldn't or wasn't allowed to. That meant that they each brought something different to their interactions. When he started going on missions it felt like he was just tagging along and was being a plot device, it basically reduced him to nothing more than a love interest. All that CIA office politics stuff gave us a something different, a normalcy in the same way Will did.

Don't know how unpopular this opinion is but I hated Francinator. We got the best girlfight ever shown on tv out of it but I wouldn't hesitate to change that thread in the script if I had the chance.

Share Post

They got too scifi for when Red ball showed up.  JJ is obsessed with it since he also used it in Star Trek.  And Sydney either boo hooing over her mother or sister.

Share Post

Rambaldi stuff I never really had a probably with except for the green goo nonsense. In some parts is could have been done better but it was apparent they did not a "bible" for it.

I never really had a problem with Will, the him being in love with Sydney etc was pushed aside for his investigation which I thought was true to the character. I did miss Will and Francie when they were gone. I think it was a mistake not to have the Francinator as an ongoing villian in season 3.

Share Post

• I liked Lauren until they made her evil. I thought it was such a cheap plot twist. Same with Vaughn's death. I thought it was really brave of them to kill him off. It was disappointing when it turned out he had faked his death.

• I loved most of season three, except the finale which I absolutely hated and which kind of ruined the show for me. 

• I have to this day never seen season four, but I watched season 5 and thought the new characters played by Rachel Nichols and Balthazar Ghetty brought something new and fresh to the show, so that I was disappointed when they were cast aside once Jennifer Garner stopped being pregnant.

• To this day, I have never watched season four, because I was so angry about the season 3 finale.

• Sloan should have died in season 2 or season 3. He had run his course by then.

• ​I loved Lena Olin in season two, but every time when they brought her back, it failed to live up to her character in season 2.

• Always loved Will and Francie.

Share Post

46 minutes ago, doram said:

Oooh, can I join?

I loved Original-Version!Lauren and I think the show runners should have given the figurative middle finger to the fans who disliked her because she got in the way of Sydney/Vaughn* and followed through with whatever they had plotted for her  before they retconned it to Evil All Along. One of my favorite scenes in season 3 was when she and Sydney were chasing some dude in a car, and Lauren (whose back-story then was that her father stopped her from being an active field agent so she ended up being a desk) was totally having a blast on that drive. Then at the end of the trip, the two women (who had been testy around each other because of the small matter of Lauren being the wife of Sydney's ex whom she never actually broke up with) kind of eye and smile each other with this "yeah, I can totally see why he was/fell in love with you. I think I might be a little bit in love with you myself right now." Also with Frankie dead, Sydney needed female friendship badly and that was an opportunity they completely botched.

It has been a long time since I watched the show, but I really enjoyed Lauren until they turned her evil. That was a dumb choice.

I think one of the biggest mistakes the show made was repeating itself instead of going forward with new villains, the whole is Sloan evil or is he good thing, can we trust Jack or can't we trust Jack, will Sydney and Vaughn or won't they was really exhausting by the end. As much as I hated losing Will and Francie who I liked, at least they were written off when they were played out and because of that their storylines are much more memorable.

Share Post

I just recently hauled out my DVDs because I needed something familiar to mindlessly binge-watch (still digging this decision). I haven't gotten to Season 3 yet, but I definitely agree that making Lauren evil was a sucky choice, especially when it was so obviously retconned. One of the best things the writers on Grey's Anatomy did was make Derek's wife actually a delightful character. It adds way more interesting nuance to a triangle if one of the points isn't such an obviously unsuitable option. I had nothing against Lauren when she first showed up — it wasn't her fault that the late partner of the man she fell in love with and married turned out to not actually be dead. I mean, I still would have wanted Syd to triumph in the end and reunite with Vaughan, but I would have loved it if they'd written Lauren in a way that allowed for that decision to be a genuine struggle for Vaughan, and for us to actually feel for her when she inevitably got dumped.

Share Post