Jump to content

All Episodes Talk: Blades of Glory

8 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

I don't care whose fault it is; I just want to see well-made blades that are capable of making it through whatever the judges throw at them.  I like seeing the testing!

So do I, but people are going to make what they're going to make and it'll either hold up or it won't.

1

Share Post


Link to post

I had to laugh that one of the machines in Trevor’s shop had “Mr. Squishy” painted on it!

Yet another overcomplicated first challenge with too little time, and yet another catastrophic failure in round three. Disappointing. Both of the final blades were beautiful looking, though.

Edited by Maelstrom.
5

Share Post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I had to laugh that one of the machines in Trevor’s shop had “Mr. Squishy” painted on it!

Yet another overcomplicated first challenge with too little time, and yet another catastrophic failure in round three. Disappointing. Both of the final blades were beautiful looking, though.

I know....coal forge.....outside.....and Sanmei????

 

it was just too much...

4

Share Post


Link to post

We have to come up with a FiF equivalent to "Another one bites the dust".  Because last night, well...... another one bit the dust, and I could tell as soon as there were less than 5 minutes left and they hadn't had the final round tests. 

Now that we've sat out (what seems to be at least) a year of Doug healing from his injury, did anyone else wince when he went after than ram carcass?  I mean, he was going for it, and his arm wrapped around his body in the follow-thru. 

BTW, I am really over these episodes consistently running 3 minutes past the hour.  They're only doing it to skew the viewer numbers and what it really does is mess up my DVR if I've got something I'm recording right after.  With a few exceptions, there's nothing on the show where they couldn't edit out 3 minutes.  As is proven by the Cutting Deeper episodes, where they add content and are still edited down to 60 minutes. 

3

Share Post


Link to post
On 8/14/2018 at 11:53 PM, Eliza422 said:

I know....coal forge.....outside.....and Sanmei????

 

it was just too much...

Not to mention try to find good steel from all the stuff laying around a campsite. This challenge was so hard that I felt like it should of been some super duper fif master challenge. The first guy eliminated did not even meet one parameter of the challenge and I do not think that has ever happened before. The poor guy seemed like he was about to burst into tears during his exit interview.

1

Share Post


Link to post

I have to say I loved the testing in the second round when all 3 judges were going at it at once, on the spikes especially! You can tell they were trying to hammer in sync.

I'm totally shocked not a single blade broke in half during that test.

1

Share Post


Link to post

But in the final the guy with the clearly better blade was forced to leave when his pommel came off.   His blade didn't break, the pommel came off.  I just don't consider that a catastrophic failure.  So the winner, i.e., last man standing, presented a blade that was too heavy, bent, and bounced off the boar's carcass.  This one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

12

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

But in the final the guy with the clearly better blade was forced to leave when his pommel came off.   His blade didn't break, the pommel came off.  I just don't consider that a catastrophic failure.  So the winner, i.e., last man standing, presented a blade that was too heavy, bent, and bounced off the boar's carcass.  This one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree. They said catastrophic failure, but the blade was intact as well as the rest of the handle. This one definitely didn't sit well with me.

3

Share Post


Link to post

My heart broke for Drew.  It makes me wonder how much time they have between the in-studio rounds and the home-studio rounds.  His home forge looked clean and well organized and the lack of fuel for his torch an odd oversight.  Seems as though once chosen to be on the show they would pre-prep as much as possible for the prospect of making the final round.

If they invite previous players back, I hope he makes the list.

2

Share Post


Link to post
7 hours ago, clytierising said:

If they invite previous players back, I hope he makes the list.

During the "Judge's Choice" episode, Doug's pick was Mareko Maumasi because, as Doug said, "You had the better Gladius but lost due to a handle issue."  Drew's Arming Sword was clearly the superior weapon in every aspect the was tested (kill factor, sharpness, durability) except for that fucking pommel coming off.  If there's another Judge's Choice episode, I could easily see Doug wanting Drew.

3

Share Post


Link to post

Yeah, I'm pretty much counting on him getting a second chance, because he did a great job.  And I get why it was a catastrophic failure. First, on that sword, the pommel was a requirement. If your sword doesn't have a pommel, it no longer fits the requirements. Second, the pommel was an integral part of the sword because it serves to balance the blade. Drew's sword felt great in Doug's hand because it was perfectly balanced. When the pommel fell off, it was no longer balanced and no longer easy to wield.

Having said that, it still sucks to see that happen, and I'm looking forward to seeing him again. I think he would be a candidate for fan favorites, judges choice, or any other show that brings guys back for a second chance. The people who make this show saw (and probably thought) the same things we saw. I feel very confident that we'll see him again.

5

Share Post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Second, the pommel was an integral part of the sword because it serves to balance the blade. Drew's sword felt great in Doug's hand because it was perfectly balanced. When the pommel fell off, it was no longer balanced and no longer easy to wield.

I think even with the pommel missing it would still have been easier to wield than John's sword, which Doug and J. both noted was really heavy and also warped.  Hell the damn thing came in with a slight warp.  I get it.  The pommel was part of the requirement, but that was still such a shitty way for the guy with the clearly superior weapon to lose.

6

Share Post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I get it.  The pommel was part of the requirement, but that was still such a shitty way for the guy with the clearly superior weapon to lose.

Which is why I feel very confident that we'll see him again.

0

Share Post


Link to post

I have mixed feelings about some of these wacky historical weapons they come up with. The Sengese really seemed dubious. I have a hard time believing that historical smiths made them better than the modern ones or that ancient blades could have survived that kind of strength test either. I'm glad they tested both blades though. I don't like it when one blade fails and they don't finish the testing with the other one. Anyway, congrats to Ashe. (On a shallow note, he was pretty cute.)

3

Share Post


Link to post

So, this time everyone bites the dust............

 

20 hours ago, Kathira said:

I have mixed feelings about some of these wacky historical weapons they come up with. The Sengese really seemed dubious. I have a hard time believing that historical smiths made them better than the modern ones or that ancient blades could have survived that kind of strength test either. I'm glad they tested both blades though. I don't like it when one blade fails and they don't finish the testing with the other one. Anyway, congrats to Ashe. (On a shallow note, he was pretty cute.)

I noticed that Jay was really banging away with those weapons in both rounds.  The ice chop (or similar) is usually 3-6 hits at the most, but Jay was going 10 times.  (Plus, you could hear him grunting!)  I'm surprised none of the second round knives failed.  Also, a while ago someone posted some BTS info that says that David Baker makes the sample of the historical weapon.  I wonder if his version held up?

3

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

So, this time everyone bites the dust............

 

I noticed that Jay was really banging away with those weapons in both rounds.  The ice chop (or similar) is usually 3-6 hits at the most, but Jay was going 10 times.  (Plus, you could hear him grunting!)  I'm surprised none of the second round knives failed.  Also, a while ago someone posted some BTS info that says that David Baker makes the sample of the historical weapon.  I wonder if his version held up?

Since both blades failed at about the same point on the blade, I wondered if there was some trick in forging that would've made that point stronger?  Then again, I know nothing about blade forging except what I have seen on this show.

Doug was down right giddy for the second place blade during the keal test.  I thought he was going to giggle.

Jay enjoys his job.  Whacking away at ice must be incredible to expell stress.  He never seemed to go quite this hard in earlier seasons.  

Has there been an episode this season where a blade has NOT broken, at least at some point throughout the competition?  I mean, I think there is some kind of catastrophic failure every episode at some point.

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

Edited by Destiny74.
1

Share Post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

Since both blades failed at about the same point on the blade, I wondered if there was some trick in forging that would've made that point stronger?  Then again, I know nothing about blade forging except what I have seen on this show.

Doug was down right giddy for the second place blade during the keal test.  I thought he was going to giggle.

Jay enjoys his job.  Whacking away at ice must be incredible to expell stress.  He never seemed to go quite this hard in earlier seasons.  

Has there been an episode this season where a blade has NOT broken, at least at some point throughout the competition?  I mean, I think there is some kind of catastrophic failure every episode at some point.

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

Ashe's broke near the spike, but I thought the other guy's broke at the upper curve? 

Regardless, this has definitely been The Season of Broken Blades. So much so that I fully expect at least one to break every episode. Love this show and will continue to watch, but I wish they would dial back the chop tests.

All tall, skinny young guys with blondish hair remind me of one of my nephews so I always root for them, lol. He was a nice kid with good skills too, so I'm happy he won.

4

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

ITA, it seemed a bit poncey for a kid from a tiny town in New Mexico. 

 

3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Ashe's broke near the spike, but I thought the other guy's broke at the upper curve?

It was definitely low down towards the handle. 

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 8/30/2018 at 8:54 AM, Destiny74 said:

Since both blades failed at about the same point on the blade, I wondered if there was some trick in forging that would've made that point stronger?  Then again, I know nothing about blade forging except what I have seen on this show.

Doug was down right giddy for the second place blade during the keal test.  I thought he was going to giggle.

Jay enjoys his job.  Whacking away at ice must be incredible to expell stress.  He never seemed to go quite this hard in earlier seasons.  

Has there been an episode this season where a blade has NOT broken, at least at some point throughout the competition?  I mean, I think there is some kind of catastrophic failure every episode at some point.

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

I am glad I am not the only one that has noticed this about Jay. He was such a mild-mannered even-keeled guy in the earlier seasons and I have heard he is a great teacher. This season it almost seems like he is taking sadistic pleasure in breaking the blades.

19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

ITA, it seemed a bit poncey for a kid from a tiny town in New Mexico. 

 

It was definitely low down towards the handle. 

I wonder if his parents are some type off the grid intellectual hippies?

22 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Ashe's broke near the spike, but I thought the other guy's broke at the upper curve? 

Regardless, this has definitely been The Season of Broken Blades. So much so that I fully expect at least one to break every episode. Love this show and will continue to watch, but I wish they would dial back the chop tests.

All tall, skinny young guys with blondish hair remind me of one of my nephews so I always root for them, lol. He was a nice kid with good skills too, so I'm happy he won.

Ashe was a very impressive young man. I was impressed with his maturity and youthful enthusiasm.  

5

Share Post


Link to post
On 8/30/2018 at 10:36 AM, Gothish520 said:

Regardless, this has definitely been The Season of Broken Blades. So much so that I fully expect at least one to break every episode. Love this show and will continue to watch, but I wish they would dial back the chop tests.

I’ve scaled back to every 2nd or 3rd episode because of this. I think even the higher caliber of talent in the first season or two would have the same results with theses parameters and this stupid strength tests. 

And now for my controversial opinion. I like Doug and he seems like a nice guy. But I’m tired of the it will keallll tests. Knives aren’t just instruments of death; they are tools. It would be nice to see tests that don’t involve Doug wildly slashing and stabbing with large arcs from his side. Outside of being in a knife fight, who does that? Use the knife for a task that it’s intended for. 

1

Share Post


Link to post
5 hours ago, hkit said:

Outside of being in a knife fight, who does that? Use the knife for a task that it’s intended for. 

True, but the kill test only occurs with the final weapons, not with the knives they make in the first part of the show.  The knives are subjected to strength and sharpness tests. And I agree with everybody else, the strength tests recently are unnecessarily brutal. Nobody in their right mind would hammer a perfectly good blade into the metal rim of an oak barrel, so why is that a test?

They send the smiths home to recreate an iconic weapon from history. Pretty much every weapon they've ever been sent home to make was at one point used to kill somebody or something (usually somebody).  So I do think the kill test is relevant.

6

Share Post


Link to post
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

And I agree with everybody else, the strength tests recently are unnecessarily brutal. Nobody in their right mind would hammer a perfectly good blade into the metal rim of an oak barrel, so why is that a test?

Exactly. Slashing through bamboo or chopping ice, maybe, but who uses a knife on a metal spike?

1

Share Post


Link to post
On 8/30/2018 at 7:54 AM, Destiny74 said:

Since both blades failed at about the same point on the blade, I wondered if there was some trick in forging that would've made that point stronger?  Then again, I know nothing about blade forging except what I have seen on this show.

Doug was down right giddy for the second place blade during the keal test.  I thought he was going to giggle.

Jay enjoys his job.  Whacking away at ice must be incredible to expell stress.  He never seemed to go quite this hard in earlier seasons.  

Has there been an episode this season where a blade has NOT broken, at least at some point throughout the competition?  I mean, I think there is some kind of catastrophic failure every episode at some point.

I agree that Ashe was a cutie but the way he pronounced his name was killing me the whole episode.  I've never heard it pronounced Ash-A.

 

Believe it or not I’ve met quite a few people pronounce that name Ashe = A-shae. He didn’t seem poncy to me. Poncy means pretentious he just seemed polite and well spoken.

 

 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:28 AM, qtpye said:

I wonder if his parents are some type off the grid intellectual hippies?

 

SEASON 5 EPISODE 27 HOLLYWOOD EDITION

 New Mexico is full of retired military and people who only served 3-4 years and discharged back to civilian life. With the Ram skulls in his shop I’d say no one is a hippie. And not off the grid from looking at his shop and the fact that people order swords from him somehow. Great friend of mine moved from here in Florida to Truth or Consequences N.M he was a rich kid and sort of like Ashe. New Mexico also has a large group of people who move there to ski and snowboard so there’s that. 

 

Now to why I found this site. The episode I just watched had another 18 year old his name was  Trystan he said he was a nerd making video game knives. They sort of commented on how he worked and found it humorous. He quenched twice and his last one he only had 40 seconds of course. He turned the blade in they said he failed to meet the parameters. But they said the blades have to be between 12 & 15” that would be tip to guard or handle. They measured his and said it measured 10 5/8 to the plunge grind. It was a survival Rambo knife (Hollywood Edition episode). But his tape showed that the blade was 11” to the plunge. He was holding the tape at such an angle that it was off an 1/8”. But the blade measured from tip to guard / tang was 12.5” at least. The other contestant was 1/8” too narrow. It was supposed to be 2” wide so it makes me wonder if his was measured right by David Baker. The kid drew his design and parameters on the workstation as well as on paper like the beginning so he was particular about it. 

 

Did they cheat him?? Was it so they could move who they wanted to too the next round. 

Edited by JoeJoe.
1

Share Post


Link to post

Wait.  What?  A crossbow?  How is that about challenging a top-notch "Bladesmith"?

2

Share Post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now