All Episodes Talk: Life in Greenwich Village

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

Sorry, nothing to say, but still, yay, a Kate and Allie board.

Edited by GaryE.

Share Post

Where is this playing? I haven't seen this show in years and years. I wouldn't mind doing a rewatch.

Share Post

Maybe no one will bother to read this but I have to get this out: IMO, it was a terrible mistake for Allie to rewed that sports broadcaster during the last season or so AND have Kate stay over to keep her company while he was supposed to be living in another city. It would have been better for them just to have both stayed single until the final episode then have one get married and the other consider what life would be on her own with an empty nest.

Share Post

This is a fantastic series. It should be syndicated somewhere on one of the many rerun based channels (Cozi, MeTV). In the episode where Charles and Chip are both dealing with Claire's new baby, it sounds like Emma's father had married for a second time, but I couldn't find a description of the episode where that happened. Did Max marry for a second time during the series? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Share Post

On 3/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, Blergh said:

Maybe no one will bother to read this but I have to get this out: IMO, it was a terrible mistake for Allie to rewed that sports broadcaster during the last season or so AND have Kate stay over to keep her company while he was supposed to be living in another city. It would have been better for them just to have both stayed single until the final episode then have one get married and the other consider what life would be on her own with an empty nest.

Agreed. It was definitely this show's shark-jumping moment.

Share Post

On 3/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, Blergh said:

IMO, it was a terrible mistake for Allie to rewed that sports broadcaster during the last season or so AND have Kate stay over to keep her company while he was supposed to be living in another city. It would have been better for them just to have both stayed single until the final episode then have one get married and the other consider what life would be on her own with an empty nest.

I think that's a pretty widely shared feeling, including those who made the show: they planned to (and did) end it just as you describe at the end of the fifth season, then CBS gave them an unwanted surprise renewal, and they had to somehow make it work. That new premise was pretty preposterous as well as not conducive to the kind of comedy they'd done through the series' run. The most one can do is notice a good scene here or there in the sixth season.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I think that's a pretty widely shared feeling, including those who made the show: they planned to (and did) end it just as you describe at the end of the fifth season, then CBS gave them an unwanted surprise renewal, and they had to somehow make it work. That new premise was pretty preposterous as well as not conducive to the kind of comedy they'd done through the series' run. The most one can do is notice a good scene here or there in the sixth season.

Too bad that the network did this. It sounds like how NBC managed to sabotage Remington Steele by dragging it out with virtually all performers involved sick of it when it was about to end and Mr. Brosnan was ready to be the next James Bond.

Share Post

Yes, it's very much the same situation as Remington Steele. A variation of the idea happened with Magnum P.I., but in that case the surprise renewal came before the planned series finale was filmed; the producers decided to film it as written anyway (Magnum being a "ghost" watching the action and walking off into the clouds at the end) and explain it as a "coma" when the show returned. And the network got plenty of publicity (and some short-term goodwill) by pretending that it was fan outcry that forced the post-finale renewal. That's the sort of PR subterfuge that would be hard to pull off today.

Share Post