The Catch In The Media: What You See May Not Be What You Get

This week's Entertainment Weekly has an article about all the changes this show has gone through on the road to broadcast.  In the first paragraph they tell me the star is 40 years old. and that they cast "newcomer Damon Dayoub" as her fiancé.    Two paragraphs later they tell me they replace Dayoub with a "more age-appropriate" Peter Krause, 50.

I couldn't resist:  according to IMDB, Dayoub was born in 1980 making him... 35.

So I guess it's inappropriate for a woman to be affianced to someone five years younger but hunky dory if it's someone ten years older.

WTF?

Share Post

Also Damon Dayoub, while I don't know his background, looks kind of "diverse" compared to Peter.  Not only a (VERY SLIGHTLY) younger man which is super cool and progressive but he even looks like a racial minority.  So yeah, everything about the changes creeps me out, because any of that 'difference' was erased.  I really don't know WTF to think.  I was so excited for that original trailer, and now...... ugh, I don't know.  

I just love Mireille Enos so much and she deserves a project worth her talent, so I'm just kind of terrified if I'm being honest :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay.

Share Post

Reviews aren't very good. These are just the first four from the search results list; I didn't cherry pick.

A.V. Club
[ben and Alice] seem like a robotically perfect couple instead of the real deal, which would be fine if that was the point. But The Catch seems to be desperately clinging to the idea that these two are still romantically pulled to one another, that they could still come back to each other.

Time Magazine
The show represents the most meaningful failing in memory of Rhimes’s usually razor-sharp casting. There’s a lot going against The Catch in its first hour, but it fails first—and most fundamentally—on the basis of its misbegotten central couple, both of whom are performing in shows different than this one.

NY Times
Thus Alice is by the premiere’s end a woman both scorned and professionally embarrassed, so she and her company are apparently going to spend this series chasing after Ben, and he is going to continue to torment them. Forget the incongruity of the premise — we’re asked to believe that Alice and Valerie’s company is both the best private investigation firm around and the most incompetent — and instead just be dismayed at the prospect of having to spend more time with Alice and Ben. They, like everyone else in this series, have a "Stepford Wives" blandness to them.

USA Today
The problem, beyond the fact that those promos have given away almost the entire plot of the premiere episode, is that the new changes are often an uncomfortable fit with the lingering remains of the old idea. What you get is a show that's neither here nor there, with actors who aren't always a good match for their roles and a tone that isn't always a good match for the plot.

Share Post

Also Damon Dayoub, while I don't know his background, looks kind of "diverse" compared to Peter. Not only a (VERY SLIGHTLY) younger man which is super cool and progressive but he even looks like a racial minority. So yeah, everything about the changes creeps me out, because any of that 'difference' was erased. I really don't know WTF to think. I was so excited for that original trailer, and now...... ugh, I don't know.

I just love Mireille Enos so much and she deserves a project worth her talent, so I'm just kind of terrified if I'm being honest :)

IMHO, Dayoub looks much younger than his age and much younger than Enos, but she looks much younger than Krause and has zero chemistry with him.

Share Post

This week's Entertainment Weekly has an article about all the changes this show has gone through on the road to broadcast.  In the first paragraph they tell me the star is 40 years old. and that they cast "newcomer Damon Dayoub" as her fiancé.    Two paragraphs later they tell me they replace Dayoub with a "more age-appropriate" Peter Krause, 50.

I couldn't resist:  according to IMDB, Dayoub was born in 1980 making him... 35.

So I guess it's inappropriate for a woman to be affianced to someone five years younger but hunky dory if it's someone ten years older.

WTF?

Sadly, it's a world where Michelle Pfeiffer is considered too old to play Kevin Costner's wife (she's 4 years younger than Costner), but Jennifer Ehle (who is 15 years younger) is just right.

Share Post

Sadly, it's a world where Michelle Pfeiffer is considered too old to play Kevin Costner's wife (she's 4 years younger than Costner), but Jennifer Ehle (who is 15 years younger) is just right.

What?!  Ain't nobody evah gonna kick Michelle Pfeiffer out of bed for cookie crumbs!

Edited by candall.

Share Post

Ratings for the pilot according to TV By The Numbers:

ABC

8pm Grey’s Anatomy: 7.85M

9pm Scandal: 6.20M

10pm The Catch: 5.80M

At 10 across channels:

NCAA tourney: 6.55M

Shades of Blue: 5.05M

"The premiere of The Catch”didn’t capture too many viewers for ABC Thursday, debuting with a 1.2 rating in adults 18-49. That’s two tenths off the finale of How to Get Away with Murder”a week ago and well below HTGAWM’s season average."

Share Post

Renewed for Season 2! Not really sure yet if it warrants an exclamation point there. Maybe it'll be like other Shonda shows and get a crapton better in season 2. Grey's and Scandal both started in late spring and got way better in season 2. 

Share Post

never take another person's word for something, look it up yourself,  - sorry, I have no idea why this has been renewed. this is as bad as Zoo - oh wait that is going into season 2 and I would not watch that if it did not start so many cat tree discussions.

Edited by holly4755.

Share Post