Jazz and the Jennings Family in the Media

What the heck is going on with the grandmother's eyes ?  I have to admit that I didn't know what "bronzer" was until I saw it on the mother's face.

Is it suppose to look like that ? Seems kinda heavy/dark.

Edited by Taylorh2.

Share Post

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Just saw an ad for season 2, it starts June 8th.

I saw it as well. Not sure if I am going to like season 2 as much as season 1 if TLC will have their over exaggerated plot devices as: mystery threatening phone calls (yes I realize they will be getting crank and threatening calls but comeon, they are on national television. That is to be expected - don't be shocked) and Jazz's brothers feeling that they are getting the short end of the stick.  

I wish that TLC would just focus on the family as a unit and specifically on Jazz, her struggles growing up as a trans teen.

Share Post

The hate is real though. Just look at the comment section of any of Jazz's YouTube videos. As for her brothers, they shot this series during their senior year in high school (this past year) and maybe they did feel like they should have more of their parent's time since they both are going to college in a few months. Jazz's mom is too savvy to let TLC fuck with her family.

Share Post

Not sure if I am going to like season 2 as much as season 1 if TLC will have their over exaggerated plot devices

Yeah, the first season already had too much "just for the show" stuff for my tastes (my tolerance is low), so I'm nervous about how much of that they'll resort to in a second season.  But, although this has always been more of a reality show/less of a documentary series than I normally watch, I'm in just because of the subject matter.  I think it's great to get a glimpse into the life of a transgender person, and I'm sure as hell not enduring Caitlyn Jenner to do it, so I'm happy this series exists.  Plus, I like the family, especially Jazz -- it is so nice to listen to a teenage girl on TV who doesn't speak like a moron and who has numerous interests and concerns, rather than focusing almost exclusively on dating.

Share Post

From the previews, looks like Jazz is going into surgery. Is she having 'reassignment surgery ?

Share Post

39 minutes ago, stillhere1900 said:

From the previews, looks like Jazz is going into surgery. Is she having 'reassignment surgery ?

Crikey, I hope not. Many surgeons in this country (USA) consider those surgeries unethical in any case, and to perform one on a 14-15-year-old should be unthinkable. It's probably something else and they're just letting viewers think it might be SRS.

Share Post

3 hours ago, okerry said:

Crikey, I hope not. Many surgeons in this country (USA) consider those surgeries unethical in any case, and to perform one on a 14-15-year-old should be unthinkable. It's probably something else and they're just letting viewers think it might be SRS.

They aren't allowed to operate on a minor so it can't be that. Also, the new term is gender confirmation surgery.

Share Post

I am so glad that Jazz' parents allowed her to take female hormones early on. She looks completely like she was born female, and if anyone says different... they're just being mean

Share Post

I'm looking forward to this show starting up again.   I like Jazz; her and her family are informative without being preachy and I appreciate that.

Share Post

Official Post

This topic is for media about the show not arguments about specious websites and speculations about pet medical theories. Do not start arguments in here about this. Posts will be hidden and warnings given out. We had A LOT of issues with posts during season 1 and I do not want a repeat.

There is a thread for questions about what it means to be transgender where you can respectfully talk about this issue. Refer again to the glad media resources posted in this thread for language questions and how to respectfully talk about people. Transphobic language will NOT be tolerated. If you have a problem with this rule PM me.

This is your only warning about this.

Share Post

Thank you. I'm so tired of reading transgender bashing and would hope not to see it here.

Not sure I am in for a second season, although I am very fond of Jazz and her family. My tolerance for these kind of staged reality shows is waning. I do wish her nothing but good things, she seems like a great kid.

Share Post

Did anyone watch the special that was on last night on TLC?  It was catching up with Jazz and the family.  I have to say I really like the grandfather. For a man his age and his generation he is really accepting of his granddaughter and slams down haters. Kudos to gramps!

Share Post

It was a repeat of the interview special they aired at the end of season one - in which, yes, the grandpa was pretty much my favorite part - but it also included a sneak peek of the upcoming season.  I was making dinner, though, and didn't get to see that part.

Share Post

Once again, so impressed with the courage and intelligence of Jazz and her family. Grandpa was amazing. I love his honesty.

Share Post

On 3/30/2017 at 2:24 PM, biakbiak said:

I understand the financial benefits for doing this show, but Jazz is still a kid. Being on reality tv is hard in general, never mind those out there that would wish her physical harm (as well as the harrasment aspect). However at least she is trying to educate others and show support and empathy for other trans-kids, which is a good thing. 

Share Post

I am supportive of Jazz and that individual's quest to find their way. As someone in the arts, I've always been around TG people my whole life, am completely supportive, and know two who have completed all surgeries -- one, I know well. But I am a bio woman in my 50s and have some questions about how young people are now defining male or female. Women my age worked SO HARD to have equal rights, even to wear pants at work (I'm a full-time musician and we were not allowed to wear anything onstage other than a floor-length gown until recently), not to mention being allowed to work at all. But now it seems females are defined as giggly, brainless ornaments who wear pink doilies, earn $0.69/dollar and have few aspirations other than shopping for makeup. TG males make more sense, as identifying male will increase earning potential, being taken seriously, and participating in activities that will advance professional life and the ability to support oneself and a family. I don't understand what happened here. Thoughts? It just seems to set women back half a century -- including transgender women. I'm straight, but the transgender phenomenon seems at odds with lesbian interests too. I'm not trying to stir a pot here, but I'm honestly interested in others' perceptions so I can increase my understanding.

Share Post

54 minutes ago, orangeiguana said:

But now it seems females are defined as giggly, brainless ornaments who wear pink doilies, earn $0.69/dollar and have few aspirations other than shopping for makeup. TG males make more sense, as identifying male will increase earning potential, being taken seriously, and participating in activities that will advance professional life and the ability to support oneself and a family. I don't understand what happened here. Thoughts? It just seems to set women back half a century -- including transgender women. I'm straight, but the transgender phenomenon seems at odds with lesbian interests too.

I am not sure if you are assuming that transgender people *choose* to be transgender, since you say "TG males make more sense" which implies that they are identifying that way to gain a societal advantage. Gender identity is similar to sexual orientation in that it is innate and has been around forever, so not really a phenomenon in a "suddenly there's so many trans people" way. They are just becoming more vocal and visible. Within the transgender community there are very girly trans women and very "tomboy-ish" trans women, just like with cisgender women. It is impossible to pigeon-hole such a large and diverse group. I found "She's Not There" by Jennifer Finney-Boylan to be a great book about what it means to be transgender and go through transition, about how the hormones make you experience a second puberty and become basically a teenager (ie a bit more shallow) again, and about how you can identify as a woman but still like "guy stuff" like football and cars.

Share Post

Can someone star a new topic for Season 3?  I tried, but it didn't work.

Share Post

Typical Duggar, biting the hand that feeds him. I hope the Dullards are expelled from the Duggars' lame excuse for  "reality" show. 

Grown men should know better than to bully children. And yes, by singling out Jazz, I consider this an incidence of bullying. I hope she takes the high road and acknowledge the statements Dillard made without it becoming a pissing war. The latter will just cause Dillard to martyr himself. I've followed the Duggars for years; martyrdom is their MO when their backs are against the wall.

Share Post

I was looking up something about Jazz and found an article stating that she was caught by the paprazzi while buying weed back in December. I’ll admit that I got a bit of a chuckle out of it. It’s a bit weird though, you wouldn’t think Jazz is such pap bait that she gets followed and photographed around her city. 

But on the bright side, she’s biking! https://radaronline.com/photos/jazz-jennings-deal-suspicious-substance-photos-i-am-jazz/

Share Post

Eep... I don't care if an adult uses recreational marijuana, but a depressed teenager whose brain isn't done cooking yet? That makes me a little nervous. It probably doesn't help curb her appetite, either, which is not great considering she openly admits to binge eating.

Share Post

I didn't realize that Noelle goes to Marjory Stoneman Douglas. That school really produces some incredible advocates. Unfortunately, now she has one more thing to advocate for. 

I wonder if the show is planning to address the shooting and the aftermath next season. 

Edited by Kareny.

Share Post

On 3/9/2018 at 7:39 AM, Kareny said:

I didn't realize that Noelle goes to Marjory Stoneman Douglas. That school really produces some incredible advocates. Unfortunately, now she has one more thing to advocate for. 

I wonder if the show is planning to address the shooting and the aftermath next season. 

Does she? I just saw her onstage at the March for Our Lives.  Go Noelle!

Share Post

On 3/24/2018 at 3:07 PM, SongbirdHollow said:

I wish I'd seen that!

Share Post

On 3/24/2018 at 3:07 PM, SongbirdHollow said:

Yep, here she is on the HumansofMSD Instagram account. 

I realize it's not technically part of Jazz's journey, but it'd be a shame if the show doesn't touch on Noelle's involvement with all of this. For someone that we "know" (at least as well as you can know a supporting character on a reality TV show) to be part of something first so terrible and then so inspiring is really interesting. Does anyone know if they've been filming at all over the last month? 

Share Post

This is about Jazz's upcoming surgery.  I'm putting in spoiler since it does have some. Warning.

Spoiler

It says that Jazz has lost more than the 30 pound weight loss goal and that her surgery date is now June 20th.  She'll be 18 years old in October. I think that as her parents, I'd likely have waited, and she could have not needed parental approval in Oct.  

https://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/jazz-jennings-reassignment-surgery-157993

Edited by SunnyBeBe.

Share Post

11 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Another update from Jazz -more details on the upcoming surgery date.    https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/111087155.html?page=2#comments

I really hope she’s in a better place mentally than when we last saw her. Some of the quotes at that link make me nervous. I’m definitely not opposed to GCS as a general rule, but I worry (as a stranger on the internet) that Jazz isn’t the best candidate, at least for now. 

Based on what Greg said last season, I wonder if this means Jazz is delaying college. She seems like someone who could really excel in higher learning and maybe figure out who she wants to be, beyond the Trans-Kid Ambassador. There’s more to her than gender, just like anybody else. 

Share Post

10 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

wonder if this means Jazz is delaying college.

She still has a year left of high school.

Share Post

That last post says they pushed the surgery date forward for a week. It was scheduled for June 20.  I wonder if it's still set to go.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe.

Share Post

I know this answer and its specifics definitively. Not sure if it's a spoiler or not either way, so keeping quiet for now unless otherwise okayed.

Share Post

16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is in the media, so, I'm posting due to that. 

Photo of Jazz after her surgery.  She looks great.  Well wishes, Jazz.

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2018/06/jazz-jennings-gender-transformation-surgery-doing-great-after-derick-dillard-bullying/

I think Derick Dillard is weirdly obsessed with Jazz, regardless of his religious affiliation.

I just hope the surgery finally makes her feel at peace with herself.

Edited by Koalagirl.

Share Post