Going Undercover: The Cast in Other Roles

I had to make this thread because I've just finished a M*A*S*H marathon viewing and only just discovered (online) that Rizzo is Provenza!!! Mind. Blown. And man, talk about getting handsomer as you age!

tve797-918-207.jpg

(Couldn't think of anything wittier for a thread title, suggestions are more than welcome.)

Share Post

Raymond Cruz (Julio) also plays the drug lord Tucco in breaking bad. Imagine my suprise when they mention a big bad drug lord and when he comes on it's the loveable Julio staring back at you, except this time he's addicted to meth and has... studded teeth?? He did a great job in Breaking Bad, excellent acting.

Share Post

As mentioned in the "Open Line" episode thread, Mary McDonnell and Jaime Bamber are Battlestar Galactica alumni, though Ms McDonnell is so much Sharon Raydor to me that I'd totally forgotten. It's a pity Jamie Bamber's Major Crimes character was such a sleaze because he does a very pretty hero.

Share Post

Anthony Dennison (Lt Flynn) first came to my attention as Ray Luca the antagonist on Crime Story and later temporarily replaced a real life injured Ken Wahl as the undercover agent John Henry Raglin on Wiseguy in the garment trade arc which had Jerry Lewis in a dramatic role.

Share Post

Mary McDonnell was in a little known movie with Alfre Woodard and David Straithairn called Passion Fish. If you can find it, it's a gem! (and all 3 actors are high ranking in my book of favorites)

Share Post

I so agree slothgirl, that was such a good movie.  It remains one of my favorites; just a quiet, thoughtful, touching movie.  Another movie featuring her (albeit in a supporting role) and Straithairn (along with an unbelievable cast--Sidney Poiter, Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, RIver Phoenix, Ben Kingsley) is "Sneakers". Sneakers is just flat out fun!

Edited by pennben.

Share Post

Mary McDonnell was in a little known movie with Alfre Woodard and David Straithairn called Passion Fish. If you can find it, it's a gem! (and all 3 actors are high ranking in my book of favorites)

She got an Oscar nomination for Passion Fish.  

Share Post

I so agree slothgirl, that was such a good movie. It remains one of my favorites; just a quiet, thoughtful, touching movie. Another movie featuring her (albeit in a supporting role) and Straithairn (along with an unbelievable cast--Sidney Poiter, Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, RIver Phoenix, Ben Kingsley) is "Sneakers". Sneakers is just flat out fun!

I just caught Sneakers on TV awhile back because I remembered really liking it years ago. I forgot Mary M was in it, but boy, did I think she looked great with her hair short! That was quite the cast!!

Share Post

I remember hearing somewhere that Graham Patrick Martin (Rusty) was in two and a half men?? never watched the show, but I think he was in it.

Share Post

I remember hearing somewhere that Graham Patrick Martin (Rusty) was in two and a half men?? never watched the show, but I think he was in it.

Yes, he played Jake's idiot friend.  Looked it up on IMDB.  Pictures show him with a similar hairstyle to how he wears it on Major Crimes.

Slothgirl, thanks for the mention of Passion Fish - I will look for it!

Share Post

Nobody old enough to remember Mary McDonnell in Dances With Wolves? :)

To this day, one of my favorites!

Share Post

Nobody old enough to remember Mary McDonnell in Dances With Wolves? :)

We occasionally call my 3-year-old granddaughter Stands with a Fist because she is, um, feisty.

Share Post

Gram Patrick Martin (Rusty) turned up playing a Rusty like kid in the pilot of Impastor on TV Land

Share Post

Gram Patrick Martin (Rusty) turned up playing a Rusty like kid in the pilot of Impastor on TV Land

Yeah, and he's playing even YOUNGER on that show -- a high school senior. I don't think he's a regular, though.

Share Post

Reeeeally old episode (Return to Sender Parts 1 and 2) but that Tyler kid was played by Nathan Kress, the dude who plays Freddie Benson on that kids show iCarly that my cousins made me watch a couple years ago and the older guy with the beard at the institution where he stayed at with the serial killer was played by Jim Beaver, who plays a character named Bobby on a show called Supernatural that my sister made me watch a couple years ago (i only recommend the first 5 seasons bc then it gets really really bad, i look back on my supernatural phase now and cringe)

Impastor on TV Land

OOH that show looked really interesting from the commercials I saw, was it good???? (sorry this is unrelated but IT LOOKED SO GOOD)

Edited by beefcrucible.

Share Post

Graham Patrick Martin is in James Franco's new flick, Bukowski. So much better without the Trump hair, IMO:

w630_3182013-50923-PM-398025460292400859

Share Post

Raymond Cruz played soldier Vincent DiStephano in 'Alien: Resurrection' and Michael Paul Chan played 'Data's Father' in 'The Goonies'--two movies that I haven't watched in ages, although I probably won't watch them together.

ETA:  I also just realized that Michael Paul Chan played a cop in Tom Selleck's 1984 sci-fi movie 'Runaway'  (not a bad movie.  Not a great movie, but not a bad movie.)  I seem to remember that he played the tech-savvy cop in his one (I think it was one) scene.

Edited by BooksRule.

Share Post

I had to make this thread because I've just finished a M*A*S*H marathon viewing and only just discovered (online) that Rizzo is Provenza!!! Mind. Blown. And man, talk about getting handsomer as you age!

tve797-918-207.jpg

(Couldn't think of anything wittier for a thread title, suggestions are more than welcome.)

well that is a DELIGHT! thank you for sharing!

Share Post

And today I have been watching Season 1 of St. Elsewhere. I had forgotten G. W. Bailey played a leading role in the first couple of seasons. He played the staff psychiatrist. 

Share Post

G.W. Bailey also had a role in soap. If I recall correctly, he was a hobo in several episodes with Chester.

Share Post

Paul Michael Chan was in Alien Nation as a human chauvinist (Purist in the show's lingo.)

Not nearly as exciting as Gina Ravera in a guest starring role on Miracles, though. 

Share Post

Well, thank you for making me feel about 1000 years old. Ha.

Share Post

Last night I watched an episode of Murder She Wrote with G.W.Bailey as a very condescending police detective.  Fun!

Share Post

Nadine Velasquez on The Real Househusbands of Hollywood.

The actor that plays Julio, in the Lifetime 'ripped from the headlines' movie, about the guy in Cleveland who imprisoned a young girl for years.

Share Post

Malcolm-Jamal Warner is going to be playing Broncho-driving Al Cowlings in American Crime Story.

Share Post

I barely remember that movie except for the general feeling of really liking it and the scene where her former co-stars come visit and they are sharing early acting stories and one of them talks about her first role playing an alien abduction survivor -- her line was "I didn't ask for the anal probe," and she repeats it with different emotion and inflection over and over and it's so random and stupid and hilarious and I think of it all the time.  Sorry OT.

Share Post

I had never seen 'Donnie Darko' and finally got around to watching the director's cut this evening.  Mary McDonnell played Donnie's mother.  She didn't have a huge part, but I thought she was very effective.  She was kind of low key, but you could see how well she could act in a scene where she and Donnie's father are talking to the psychiatrist about Donnie's problems and his treatment and she is being all calm and matter of fact and you could see that she was close to breaking down.  

Share Post

I just caught a glimpse of a very youthful looking Raymond Cruz in a 1993 episode of Murder She Wrote, "Double Jeopardy" (9.12).

Share Post

On 8/17/2015 at 3:39 PM, BooksRule said:

Raymond Cruz played soldier Vincent DiStephano in 'Alien: Resurrection'

He was also a soldier, Ding Chavez  in one of Harrison Ford's Jack Ryan movies Clear And Present Danger 

Share Post

Michael Paul Chan and Raymond Cruz (in a guest role) were in Robbery Homicide Division, a one-season show from 2002.

Share Post

I always remember Michael Paul Chan for his excellent portrayal of the uber-jerk Harold in Joy Luck Club.  He made me hate him so much!  Plus according to IMDB he's guest starred on  just about every cop show ever made since the 80s.  

Share Post

On 8/31/2015 at 2:19 PM, sjohnson said:

Not nearly as exciting as Gina Ravera in a guest starring role on Miracles, though. 

It was cheesy, it was the '90s, but Gina Ravera and Robert Gossett appeared on...Silk Stalkings. Gina played a medical examiner, Dr. Diana Roth, and Robert Gossett briefly ran the precinct as Lieutenant Hudson during Season 2 once Ben Vereen's Captain Hutchison (the captain in the first season) left, with the character being transferred. (Vereen had been in a bad accident around that time but did return for a cameo.)

Don't judge me! (Hey, it was a fun USA series and the leads had chemistry!)

Share Post

No judgment here; I loved that cheesy show!  Remember when they had to make out as part of their cover?  Ah, good times.

I had completely forgotten about Robert Gossett being on it.

Share Post

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

No judgment here; I loved that cheesy show!  Remember when they had to make out as part of their cover?  Ah, good times.

I had completely forgotten about Robert Gossett being on it.

Yes, I remember. Not to mention that couples retreat and meeting the actors who would play the next captain and his wife, yet not playing them in the retreat episode...  :-)

Share Post

I just watched an episode of Murder, She Wrote last night and there was Michael Paul Chan - he was much younger, had a full head of hair, and a beard.  I only recognized him by his voice!

Share Post

Another episode of Murder, She Wrote, and there was Bill Brochtrup!  So far that makes four of the cast on that show, including Provenza, Tao and Sanchez.  So much fun to see their younger selves!

Share Post

Bill Brochtrup played a gay man on Hill Street Blues. He was one of the first openly gay characters.  Some of the other characters hated his character at first but then grew to respect and like him. He played that role and his current role as Dr Joe really well in an understated way.  Great actor.  I lovde when he was shot and then goofy n pain meds.  I would love to see more of him in a relax d setting.

Also Paul Michael Chan played a scary bad guy on US Marshalls with Tommy Lee Jones

Share Post

Kearran Giovanni appeared on Designated Survivor this week. I think it was the first time I saw her in any other TV shows.

Share Post

18 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

Kearran Giovanni appeared on Designated Survivor this week. I think it was the first time I saw her in any other TV shows.

I think Major Crimes is her first recurring or regular role. I remember her from a rerun in a small part on Royal Pains. As the Senate Minority Leader Diana Harris I am guessing she has a reoccurring gig on Designated Survivor. My first instinct was to google her age to see if she was old enough to be  a Senator, to my suprise she just met the requirement to be President.

Share Post

On April 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Raja said:

I think Major Crimes is her first recurring or regular role. I remember her from a rerun in a small part on Royal Pains. As the Senate Minority Leader Diana Harris I am guessing she has a reoccurring gig on Designated Survivor. My first instinct was to google her age to see if she was old enough to be  a Senator, to my suprise she just met the requirement to be President.

*Sigh* If only. . . 

Share Post

On 4/13/2017 at 2:59 AM, FinnishViewer said:

I've been meaning to mention that on one of the myriad syndications of Law & Order: Mothership she played one of their standard "interviewees-at-the-scene-of-the-crime-who-can't-recall-what-the-criminal-looks-like".  I can't recall the episode but the scene was in Times Square.

Share Post

On 9/15/2016 at 2:23 AM, Calamity Jane said:

I always remember Michael Paul Chan for his excellent portrayal of the uber-jerk Harold in Joy Luck Club.  He made me hate him so much!  Plus according to IMDB he's guest starred on  just about every cop show ever made since the 80s.  

We can add the current version of Hawai'i 5-0 to the list of cop shows that Michael Paul Chan has guest starred on.  I don't ever watch that show, but I just happened to have the TV on and tuned to CBS a few minutes ago.  The opening theme song caught my attention and a voice in the first scene after the opening made me look up from my sewing.  Michael Paul Chan!  His name tag on his cop uniform read, "R.[?] Tanaka," and he had four gold stars in a row above the chest pocket on the uniform shirt.  In a later scene, he's wearing an aloha shirt.  (Still sounded like Tao, though.)  Even so, the presence of MPC wasn't enough to make me watch the rest of the episode.

Share Post

2 hours ago, officetemp said:

We can add the current version of Hawai'i 5-0 to the list of cop shows that Michael Paul Chan has guest starred on.  I don't ever watch that show, but I just happened to have the TV on and tuned to CBS a few minutes ago.  The opening theme song caught my attention and a voice in the first scene after the opening made me look up from my sewing.  Michael Paul Chan!  His name tag on his cop uniform read, "R.[?] Tanaka," and he had four gold stars in a row above the chest pocket on the uniform shirt.  In a later scene, he's wearing an aloha shirt.  (Still sounded like Tao, though.)  Even so, the presence of MPC wasn't enough to make me watch the rest of the episode.

Turns out he was Captain Tanaka, retired, in charge of HPD Homicide and Danno's boss just before McGarrett left the Navy to form 5-0. It turned out that Tanaka/Tao was fighting the same actor who played the guy trying to bomb his ex wife along with LAPD on the season finale. That guy has been busy he also raced Dom in Fate of The Furious.

Share Post