Season One: All Episodes

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

I'm not sure this can continue past one season because nobody would be surprised to see the other person any more, but it does add an interesting twist to the makeovers.

I thought the "after" sequined miniskirt outfit was a bit much for the track coach. Unnecessarily short and gaudy, and it also fit poorly across the stomach and made her look a little bulky even though she's quite thin.

As for the blond makeunder half of this episode -- I looked at her and guessed her age as early thirties, so am definitely not one of the many people who think she's 5-10 years younger than 35. She's going to have to get new friends if she doesn't want to fall back into her tight-n-tacky style again because they were sporting the same look.

Share Post

I sure hope there is some sort of trickery going on with the timing, or extra sets of clothes, or something. I am not a germaphobe (I've never used hand sanitizer in my life and find the whole idea of anyone using outside of a medical practice/hospital ridiculous) but there is no way I am putting on someone else's dirty clothes. And putting on someone else's wig straight off their head? Oh hell no.

When the woman who dressed like a fifteen year old with the miniskirts and headbands was shown with her headband off in the hair & makeup chair, I got why she was attached to the headbands. Super thin hair, to the point where you could see her scalp. I understand and can sympathize, because that's me too. She needs to stop relying on headbands and look into Toppik, toppers, and wigs.

and Lordonia, I absolutely agree about the sequined miniskirt on the athletic coach woman. I thought it was really over the top, especially for her. That skirt could be part of the "makeunder" half of a future show.

Share Post

This show is a total miss. There is a serious "ew" factor to wearing a stranger's clothes, taken right off her back, jewelry and all. And they do a horrible job of selling that as a necessary or even helpful exercise. What is the point? To teach them that people are judged by what they wear? Well, that makes no sense because the women are being judged by what someone else wears. To broaden their exposure to other styles? Does making them feel ridiculous and uncomfortable do that? I just don't get it. And the idea of two perfect strangers meeting and "supporting" each other through the process is ridiculous. There is no bonding between the two, and no time for it, as far as I can tell. They are awkward with each other, and the stiff, obviously prompted/scripted compliments they give each other belie the whole "we're in this together thing." 

This is TLC's typical m.o. They have one successful show that they milk relentlessly. Then when everyone is sick to death of it, they produce a bunch of half-assed, desperate clone shows, each with a slightly different twist, to try to hang onto the audience. They've done this over and over with wedding dress shows, makeover shows, little people shows, big people shows, gypsy shows, pageant shows and on and on. But the clones are never as good as the original, and some of the clones are just awful. This show is one of those. I've seen two episodes, and that was 1.5 episodes too many.

Share Post

So much relies on casting and while Tai seems pleasant enough, she kinda sucks at the styling part. I haven't watched Stacy London's new show because, bored, but at least she knows how to dress people.

Edited by lordonia.

Share Post

I think the styling by Tai has been hit or miss. Some I have really liked. The reveal look on the blue wig/blue lipstick lady was awful. She looked like she was wearing a Sexy Bride costume for Halloween.

Share Post

lordonia, I have watched Stacy London's new show and I think she has lost her touch.  I generally think the people look awful in their "after" outfits.

I'm with everyone on putting on someone else's clothes and wigs.  And shoes!  Last night one of the women was wearing dirty old flip flops and the other, prissy, woman had to put them on.  Yuck!  

Share Post

And they do a horrible job of selling that as a necessary or even helpful exercise. What is the point? To teach them that people are judged by what they wear? Well, that makes no sense because the women are being judged by what someone else wears. To broaden their exposure to other styles? Does making them feel ridiculous and uncomfortable do that? I just don't get it.

It does feel entirely pointless. Big waste of - what - 10 minutes of airtime? If they insist on having 2 people "share the experience", then why not have the women spend half a day getting to know one another, and then having each one take a crack at styling the other. At least that would be more watchable.

Share Post