Small Talk: The Queen Vic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Share Post

I converted the show request into the Small Talk topic for the show -- a social topic and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk topic jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

Share Post

I'd like to watch it and I bet there's a way, even in the U.S. but I haven't figured it out yet.

Share Post

Comments on the recent storylines airing in the US:

- Chloe.  I hope this storyline is over.  I don't find Sonia and Martin interesting at all (too much whining, I wish the characters would suddenly immigrate) and Pauline has been reduced to a shadow of who she once was.  She used to have common sense.  Old Pauline would have recognized the value of maintaining stability in the life of the little girl and seen that as more important than the number of people sitting around her table on Sunday at tea time.

- Den's murder.  It seemed for a few weeks that the interaction between Chrissy, Zoe, and Sam might have calmed down for a while, but that must have been the quiet before the storm.  Chris gave Sam a good tweak over Pauline's doorstop, Zoe is melting down yet again, and I think we're finally going to see the murder be discovered.  Who goes down for it is anyone's guess, though.

- Johnny Allen has been a good addition to Albert Square, especially as he replaced Andy Hunter.  Andy was too much of an arch-villain.  Johnny's more complex and interesting, an old time crime boss who runs the underworld activities while trying to keep a veneer of calm and orderliness in his own community.   His interactions with Pat, short as they are, are great.

- Freddy.   Good grief, I'm sick and tired of Billy and Little Mo.  Resolve this storyline.  The two of them taking turns dramatically running away from each other has gotten tiring.

- Couples.  I love the interactions within and between the older couples.  Over the years, Dot has transformed from a harpy to a more complex character with whom it's easy to relate.  She and Jim work well together, likewise the Traverniers.

Share Post

It used to be easy to watch it here when BBC America showed it. They were only a few weeks behind UK, if I remember correctly.

I also used to be part of a group in the olden days that traded DVDs. You used to be able to watch on Dish Network for a fee. Is this still a thing?

The promise of BBC iPlayer in the US seems to have fizzled out, which is unfortunate.

Share Post

I'm able to watch current shows on the BBC website using the tunnelbear app.  So, I'm watching current shows and seven year old episodes.  But since some are the same storyline, its not that confusing.

Share Post

You are my peeps!!!!!

I'm in season 2005.  Just  few thoughts:

Martin and Sonia--don't care, and I HATE the way she talks--she cannot pronounce ths, they come across as wifs.

The Millers--HATE THE PARENTS, especially Keith--doesn't he ever bathe?  I ADORE Mickey, he's so sweet.

I'm OK about Johnny, but his whiny girlfriend Tina just has to go.  Immediately.  I'm so not interested in their relationship.

Stacey is slowly becoming someone I like.

It's been so long since we've seen Chrissie, Zoe and Sam, I'd almost forgotten them.

I wish little Mo would divorce Billy.

Pat--where the hell do you buy your earrings?

Share Post

Stacey is slowly becoming someone I like.

Agreed.  She was annoying as all get out when she was first introduced, but they've been fleshing out the character slowly and rather nicely.   The Johnny Allen storyline has helped with that immensely.

The Millers--HATE THE PARENTS, especially Keith--doesn't he ever bathe?  I ADORE Mickey, he's so sweet.

The Dad does look a bit aromatic.  Is he still working with his son on his reading?  It'd be nice if they showed a little victory for him, have him read a sign (or maybe the packaging on a bar of soap).  Don't make a massive deal about it, just show his progress.   

Share Post

Since we seem to have different people watching different eras, should we make a couple of different topics? Do we want each episode to have its own topic or maybe take it by month or week?

Share Post

Going by the TWOP thread, there are two groups - the 2007 US PBS Group and the 2014 England group.  We could probably just divide into two threads.    

Share Post

Going by the TWOP thread, there are two groups - the 2007 US PBS Group and the 2014 England group.  We could probably just divide into two threads.    

That's probably the best idea.  Current BBC versus the delayed PBS broadcasts.

BBC America was showing up to date Eastenders a while back, but that didn't last long.  I wish they'd put it back on and replace, say, the hours of Star Trek Next Generation that seems to run each weekday.   It'd be nice to be able to look at the wiki for some history without accidentally running into a spoiler.

Share Post

Gotcha. It might make sense to divide it up by season/year instead of just two long threads going on forever. Based on the seasons listed at the TVDB, where do y'all think the PBS airings are? If they are 2007, I think that is Season 23. I am watching the 2014 episodes which is Season 30.

EastEnders at theTVDB.com

Share Post

Gotcha. It might make sense to divide it up by season/year instead of just two long threads going on forever. Based on the seasons listed at the TVDB, where do y'all think the PBS airings are? If they are 2007, I think that is Season 23. I am watching the 2014 episodes which is Season 30.

EastEnders at theTVDB.com

PBS vs BBC might work better, assuming that they both stay on their current pace.

Share Post

Let's start off with that and go from there depending on how long the threads go.

Share Post

Hey everyone!

We have two new topics for discussion of the show. One for the 2007-Era PBSers and one for the 2014-Era BBCers. Please be careful where you read and post as not to spoil someone by accident.

This Small Talk thread will serve as a place for intros and off topic chatter!

Share Post

I saw that! Looks like an awesome job, actually.

Share Post

I would really love to know how they test your Eastenders knowledge.

Share Post

I've been watching since the late 90's, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp.

Maybe it's a fill in the blank family tree.

Share Post

Name three ways that Ian is an idiot - including as many of his marriages in your answer as possible. . What do you think Tracy's last name is?

Share Post

Sad to hear the news, I really enjoyed him and June Brown onscreen together.  I wonder if it will be written into the show at some point.

Share Post

I loved him and Dot.

I actually cried last year when Dot was going into  hospital for her cancer surgery and she and Jim admitted to each other they basically  married just for company and then they found themselves in love with each other. Beautifully done and brought tears to my eyes.

Share Post

That is so sad.  I'll always remember Den.

Share Post

I only watched him after he came back from the dead. He was a really great character and actor.

Share Post