All Episodes Talk: In The Wilderness

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

This has got to be one of the strangest shows ever. I started watching the first season but it was so repetitive I gave up. I can't believe it's back for a second season, but at least they moved it out of the Appalachian mountains.

Share Post

I see it as a kinder, gentler survival show.  Creek has to put up with three numbskulls for - what is it, five days?  And somehow, they all manage to learn to survive.  I like that they decided to expand to other locations this season.  Creek is a little hippie MacGyver type, and has an encouraging, patient nature about him. 

Share Post

I like it too. Yet again, though, it's for MEN only. Sexist pigs.

I like the move to different areas, though I *do* prefer the woods. There are some things they do or don't do that leave me scratching my head, though. Creek picks a "type" of survival and then sticks to it, even when something else would have better results. In the one this week, some of the cacti we saw were edible, and I would have been crawling around those rock outcroppings looking for snakes and such.

If I were a contestant on one of these shows I would go Paleo and get my body switched to fat burning and accustomed to fasting before I left!

Oh, one of the things I love about this show is that the men rarely have any hunting experience, so they react emotionally when they have to take a life. Creek empathizes with that, which I also appreciate. Killing something would kill me, even though I'm an avowed carnivore.

Share Post

Not without its interest. Yet, I have to wonder why these men couldn't have found  wilderness survival training closer to their homes- and why they opted to have their very first time in the woods be broadcast so the world could see it.

Share Post

I caught up with a couple episodes over the weekend - looks like I may be the only one judging by the dearth of comments here.  One episode was in the caves somewhere in the South.  They made some yummy (or so they claimed) maple syrup drink, then thickened it up to spread on rocks to catch crickets to eat.  LOVED their expressions when they were crunching on those crickets!  But, what the heck was Creek wearing!?!?  It was some kind of sweater contraption with a huge cowl neck, but the body of the sweater was a series of huge knitted loops (hard to explain, but I've never seen anything like it).  I've seen Creek wear some "interesting" getups, but never anything so obviously fashionable with no apparent practical purpose.  Very weird in that setting. 

They must have missed some crickets because I can hear them chirping here . . . . .

Share Post