Justice League: Gods and Monsters The Movie

I saw the movie not realizing there was a web series prequel. I didn't see the trailer, either.  I won't go into details, but there were parts I had to watch more than once because I was confused.  I'm still perplexed at Magnus' plan.  

I enjoyed this version of Lois Lane. 

Share Post

I get Magnus' plan. Not sure it was a good one, but I get what he was supposedly trying to achieve--a groupmind and no individuality.

There were a few flaws here--for example the really awkward jump from Superman's ship landing to the present of the movie.  Also a lot of stuff implied in the prequels that wasn't really covered here--for example the extent of Trevor's relationship with Wonder Woman.

It was odd where they decided a character was pretty close to the normal DC version (like Ray Palmer) and where they weren't (like Lex Luthor). But if you accepted the characters AS presented, most of it worked reasonably well. 

Share Post

I do think the over-all plot is the weak point here.  The characterization and backstories were far better than the "current" plot (although they were tied together in the sense that all three heroes had elements of their past that manifested in the current story--Batman in the form of his relationship with his two supposed old friends, Superman in the form of his ongoing conflict with Luthor and Wonder Woman because Trevor was the on-the-ground antagonist for the three Justice Leaguers.

Share Post

I agree the main plot wasn't much, especially with how it ended.

They did a good job establishing this as parallel world, which I am grateful for, because that way I can absolutely divorce this Superman from the real Superman.

I don't like him. He's an obnoxious dick and a vigilante criminal as far as I'm concerned. But I do find the premise interesting. I liked Bekka's (dreadful name for Wonder Woman) backstory, and would watch a series based on her marrying and ruling with Orion. Batman is just a joke to me at this point. Almost in every medium he is becoming a caricature. So him being Kirk the vampire is amusing to me. None of them were that sympathetic, I was rooting against them in the fight scenes, but ho-hum, of course they would win.

Loved Lex. I'm glad the hunger for power was dialed back and other aspects of his character got to shine. It made me wish there was an animated show just for him.

Share Post