All Episodes Talk: Countdown To The End

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Share Post

So glad that Kelly is finally back, even if this is last season.  I think one of the worst decisions this show ever made, in a sea of awful decisions, was getting rid of Kelly to replace her with Chardonnay.

I can't even with the Kierra-Blue-Malik triangle.  I'm tired of TV shows always telling us that male/female friends can't stay just friends.  First there was Malik and gay trainer; now it's Kiera?  And the way Blue was acting on the field seemed so out of character for him.  Yeah, yeah, I get that he's acting out of "hurt", but bullying someone was never really his thing.  Speaking of Blue, who was that chick that was helping him move?  I don't remember her from last season.  

Share Post

I really really wish I was into this show the way I was when it first started. After season five, I gave up. The show really DID revolve around Derwin and Melanie so their leaving the show and the direction the writers took just turned me off. I don't like any of the storylines. I'll be checking in to see what you guys think of the final season.

Share Post

Totally not feeling the Kierra/Blu/Malik triange either.  It makes little sense, plus it's somewhat of a retread of what they did with Derwin/Melanie.  After they broke up, Melanie tried to get with Malik, although he turned her down.  Melanie spent the season lost and kinda buckwild, but eventually made it back to Derwin.  They've spent the past couple of seasons trying to make us give a crap about Blu/Kierra (unsuccessfully), so I'd assume there will be a similar path back to Blu for her.   As this is the last season, I really hope Malik/Kierra is not the end game.   That would be a very unsatisfying conclusion.  I know the show will end with Malik finally finding true love, I'm just thought it would be with a past character in which he had a deeper connection.  Like the addict model, the thick chick he was with in one of the earlier seasons, or even the trainer..... or heck in Robin Givens.  Anyone but Kierra.   

Share Post

I really really wish I was into this show the way I was when it first started. After season five, I gave up. The show really DID revolve around Derwin and Melanie so their leaving the show and the direction the writers took just turned me off. I don't like any of the storylines. I'll be checking in to see what you guys think of the final season.

I feel the same way.  The only reason I continue watching is partly due to the level of affection I had for how awesome this show originally was, partly due to wanting to support a show that showcases a colored leading cast that despite being bad, is still better than those Tyler Perry shows, and partly due to knowing this is the end.  If I've survived all this time, I can survive 10+ more episodes.

Totally not feeling the Kierra/Blu/Malik triange either.  It makes little sense, plus it's somewhat of a retread of what they did with Derwin/Melanie.  After they broke up, Melanie tried to get with Malik, although he turned her down.  Melanie spent the season lost and kinda buckwild, but eventually made it back to Derwin.  They've spent the past couple of seasons trying to make us give a crap about Blu/Kierra (unsuccessfully), so I'd assume there will be a similar path back to Blu for her.   As this is the last season, I really hope Malik/Kierra is not the end game.   That would be a very unsatisfying conclusion.  I know the show will end with Malik finally finding true love, I'm just thought it would be with a past character in which he had a deeper connection.  Like the addict model, the thick chick he was with in one of the earlier seasons, or even the trainer..... or heck in Robin Givens.  Anyone but Kierra.   

Even without the triangle, I can't stand Blu and Kierra.  I hate them together; I hate them as individuals!  I would love for one of Malik's girls to return, the thick one or Robin Givens (couldn't stand the drug addict).

Share Post

The thick love interest Malik had is the lead in some TP show isn't she? Is that the same one?

Add me to the list of Blue/Kiera haters. From early on it seemed she was always begging his forgiveness. Sorry for being a virgin, sorry for wanting to act. Am I remembering a scene where she actually threw herself at his feet??

Share Post

Had to stop watching after Mel and Derwin bounced like many of y'all. Curious to hear how they end things, but will check in here, not watching.

Share Post

When the show came to BET it just wasnt the same The Game that I loved. Especially since Kelly and Jason were my favorites. And then when they hired one of the producer's niece's to play old azz Britt Brat and had Kelly acting like one of those BasketBall Wives I was done.

Share Post

When the show came to BET it just wasnt the same The Game that I loved. Especially since Kelly and Jason were my favorites. And then when they hired one of the producer's niece's to play old azz Britt Brat and had Kelly acting like one of those BasketBall Wives I was done.

That would explain why the actress who plays Britney is so awful! 

So this episode was uneventful.  Chardonnay shows up to argue with Kelly, why? Kelly wasn't the one to go behind her back.  And as Kelly pointed out, she left to give them a chance. 

This whole triangle storyline is still dumb.  And now Jason's storyline is dumb as well.  There's so much they could do with his steroid's story, but instead they're choosing to make him an incompetent coach.  It's idiotic.

Share Post

Brandy looked so gorgeous in this last epi. I don't like this new hard legged Kelly at all. And, why didn't they fix the miscasting of Brit Brat when all the fans complained in the beginning? This chick was too darned old!!!!!!!

Ii would love Maliek to marry that thick chick. But I DO NOT want to see him with Kierra or Robin Givens or the model with the abuse issues. Noooo.

Share Post

That would explain why the actress who plays Britney is so awful! 

So this episode was uneventful.  Chardonnay shows up to argue with Kelly, why? Kelly wasn't the one to go behind her back.  And as Kelly pointed out, she left to give them a chance. 

This whole triangle storyline is still dumb.  And now Jason's storyline is dumb as well.  There's so much they could do with his steroid's story, but instead they're choosing to make him an incompetent coach.  It's idiotic.

Chardonnay already said everything she needed to say to Jason.  I actaully liked the scene with her and Kelly.  Chardonnay could have gone all the way left on Kelly, but she managed to have a fairly mature conversation.  While Kelly did leave, she'd already interferred in their marriage at that point.  

Interesting while I love(d) Kelly and Jason.  I also loved Jason and Chardonnay.  But yet I loathe Blue and Kierra.  The right actors/actresses really do make a difference.  

Edited by After7Only.

Share Post

Brandy looked so gorgeous in this last epi. I don't like this new hard legged Kelly at all. And, why didn't they fix the miscasting of Brit Brat when all the fans complained in the beginning? This chick was too darned old!!!!!!!

Right now its saying this actress is 19 online but I remember looking up her age a few years back when she first started and she was already over 18. The girl doesn't look like Kelly, Jason, or his parents and no one liked her in the role.

Share Post

Even after Malaenie and Derwin left I kept up with the show because of Tasha/Malik/Jason but I just don't care for it like I use to. I have been watching this last season tho.

-I love Jason and Kelly they are soulmates IMO. I never cared about Chardonnay it's like the writers were trying the character too hard so I never cared for her. I do feel bad for her but it's always Jason/Kelly for me.

Malik steal has my heart and I love him and Tasha's relationship.

I don't care about Blu and Keira

Share Post

When the show came to BET it just wasnt the same The Game that I loved. Especially since Kelly and Jason were my favorites. And then when they hired one of the producer's niece's to play old azz Britt Brat and had Kelly acting like one of those BasketBall Wives I was done.

Yeah, same.  What disappointed me the most was how awful Melanie became.  It would've been way more interesting to see her juggling marriage, step-motherhood, and a full-time career as a doctor, but instead, she was a Sunbeam robot who put her career on hold, and tried to buddy up to Janae, annoyingly so, I might add, because she apparently had no friends.  The writers did a complete 180 with her.  She already had her cringeworthy moments earlier when she stalked Derwin, but this was worse. Melanie and Derwin were definitely the anchors for the show, but I really hated Derwin's hypocrisy and turning on the Christianity when it suited him.

I was also put off by the episode where Jason's blackness was questioned because he wasn't acting as stereotypically as Chardonnay. All because he didn't yell at the screen when they were at the movies and sneak food in.  I couldn't deal, so I was out when M&D left.

Edited by Sheenieb.

Share Post

I was also put off by the episode where Jason's blackness was questioned because he wasn't acting as stereotypically as Chardonnay. All because he didn't yell at the screen when they were at the movies and sneak food in.  I couldn't deal, so I was out when M&D left.

What! I can't believe a bunch of black people wrote that. I know they used to make little jokes about Jason and his lightskinnedness but because he's not loud and ghetto they called him whitewashed!

Share Post

A friend and I were watching reruns a couple weeks ago and I had to explain to her the reason Kelly was no longer on the show was because the people who do the show felt that BET's audience wouldn't approve of her.  Then came Chardonnay with her over the top, "this is how to be black" nonsense.  <eyeroll> 

Share Post

I know they felt Kelly wouldn't appeal to ewer even though she was on the show om the beginning plus Brittany had her health issues but did they have to bring on a ghetto girl to change Jason? They could've brought on a "Freddie"( ADW fans know this character) type character instead.

Share Post

Another ho-hum episode.  You'd think since they knew this was the last season, they'd try to make it a little interesting.  The Kelly-Chardonnay feud and Blu-Kiera-Malik drama just isn't working for me.

Share Post

I know they felt Kelly wouldn't appeal to ewer even though she was on the show om the beginning plus Brittany had her health issues but did they have to bring on a ghetto girl to change Jason? They could've brought on a "Freddie"( ADW fans know this character) type character instead.

Oh, a Freddie would have totally worked out. or (if anyone watched Girlfriends), A Lynn Character (or Lynn's sister Tanya. that actually would have been awesome). 

I wasn't aware the show was still on (the last thing I saw was that Tasha had Pookie/Rick Fox's baby). But this show seriously needed some Derwin and Med School. in the strongest way.  

Share Post

I just read on Tia's Instagram that she will be on the final episode....so guess I'll be watching after all...

ETA: Pooch will also be appearing and not just on the final episode, but the final season in general. Dammit, now I have to just watch the damn show...smh lol

Edited by Fairlily26.

Share Post

I love Brittany Daniel and she was Classic Kelly Pitts in that red riding hood scene, and Jason with his "I did hide a lot of money from you in the divorce" line felt like old times.

Why did Malik frown and hold his nose after having sex with Kiera?

Edited by anonymiss.

Share Post

Why did Malik frown and hold his nose after having sex with Kiera?

Because he didn't cry after having sex with her like he did with Yana(?). <eyeroll> I'm sure that this will lead to them breaking up and her trying to get back together with Blu. I did enjoy Tasha trying to railroad the relationship. What I don't get is that they spent so much time on scenes of them discussing why they were waiting to have sex with each other, but then the writers just decide to jump past when and why they changed their minds straight to the sex? That's annoying storytelling.

Edited by luckyroll3.

Share Post

Yeah that and it was super confusing, like Malik thought she smelled bad what with the frowning while touching his nose.

Share Post

It only feels like The Game with Kelly and Jason (Brittany Daniel and Coby Bell). I'd watch a spin-off of them with different writers/different network.

Share Post

40 weeks and 4 days pregnant so haven't be able to sleep AT ALL. Decided to watch some tv and found a gem. The first season of the show, when it was cute and fun to watch. Now, Im reminded to watch the series finale tonight....

Since the show has sucked for a while, it won't be hard to say goodbye, plus my favorites Derwin and Melanie had their characters destroyed. BYE SHOW!

Edited by Fairlily26.

Share Post

Well, that's all folks....I appreciate how most of the characters ended up especially my favorite couple Derwin and Melanie. Loved Tasha and Pookie getting their happy ending...glad that all the original characters were focused on. Speaking of original characters, it was so great seeing Tasha, Melanie, and Kelly have their moment. Don't understand why they made Jason and Kelly do that weird eyes wide shut craziness but whatever...BYE SHOW!

Share Post

Wow.  9 years, 2 networks, and that's the finale they come up with?  That was pitiful.

I spent most of the first thirty minutes wanting to hit Melanie in the head.  For once, I was in agreement with Tasha, why the hell was she even there?  She has a high risk pregnancy and she's toddling around San Diego in a pair of stilettos?  I'm surprised she wasn't on bed rest.  And wow, was her makeup caked on.  So unnecessary, especially since Tia is already quite pretty without it.

Tasha and Malik's endings were tepid, but not surprising.  Tasha finally closed the door with Rick and Malik learns his true love is football, I guess.  I was actually hoping Tee Tee would get a real ending of his own, being such a supporter for Malik all these years.  I liked his last line about always needing to be there for his friend.

Keira and Blue...didn't care for them then, didn't care now.

The only thing that did work was the reunion of the Sunbeams, although I didn't need to hear the reunion interspersed with the puking football players.  Gross.  But it was nice to see the women have their moment together without the drama for once.

It's odd that the show was revived by BET but the quality took a massive nosedive.  Here's hoping the cast moves on to greener pastures. 

Share Post

Not bad.....

I liked that Tasha got a second chance with Pookie, especially after the cold tongue lashing she got from him when he found out about her and Rick Fox ("We will never, EVER be cool!").

Chardonnay should have gotten a better send off than that two minute scene with her and Rick....would have loved to know where she ended up.

Bummed that Malik and Keira didn't get back together but their eventual places in life was the way it was meant to be.

Finally, 'Med School' and 'Ding-Dong'....as much as I loved the reunion of Mel, Tasha and Kelly, it seemed like they were disconnected from everyone.  And damn, couldn't Derwin have gotten some catch up time with Jason?  I know it wouldn't have happened with Malik, given all the shade comments Hosea/Pooch threw to each other when Pooch first left the show years back.

Share Post

Finally, 'Med School' and 'Ding-Dong'....as much as I loved the reunion of Mel, Tasha and Kelly, it seemed like they were disconnected from everyone.  And damn, couldn't Derwin have gotten some catch up time with Jason?  I know it wouldn't have happened with Malik, given all the shade comments Hosea/Pooch threw to each other when Pooch first left the show years back.

This. Way too much time spent with holier-than-thou boring as fuck Melanie.

Share Post

I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed.....I was just whelmed.  It just seemed like there wasn't enough for a series finale.  And waaaaay too much time spent on just Melanie and Derwin by themselves with limited interactions with the rest of the cast.  

I've been annoyed the past couple seasons with how they changed Titi's character.  When the show first started, he was a nice guy, smart, on top of everything, and always handled things in an appropriate manner.  It was a refreshing juxtaposition to Malik and made the relationship work.  Then all of a sudden, he was failing at life and was a hound being appropriate with women?  It was just characteristic of the changes that were made to the show when it came to BET that just didn't make any sense.

Also, can anyone tell me what is was supposed to mean when the doctor said, "African Americans....always hopeful."  It just seemed like such a random throwaway line to include....I don't know.  

Glad it's over.  I'll go back and watch episodes from the first few seasons, when it was a great show, so I'm not left with a bad taste in my mouth.  

Share Post

That was it?  The show deserved a better sendoff than that.

I didn't like Melanie AT. ALL. and she did look stupid tottering around in those high heels.  There was so much hype about Melanie and Derwin coming back, but I thought they were just boring.

I think Brandy has got a new series in the works but I don't know if it's with BET.  In any case, I won't be watching.

Also, can anyone tell me what is was supposed to mean when the doctor said, "African Americans....always hopeful."  It just seemed like such a random throwaway line to include....I don't know

That was strange and unnecessary.

Share Post

My only beef with Melanie was her unnecessary bitching to the surrogate she and Derwin recognized.  For bluedilly's sake girl, you are expecting twins!  Was it really that important to go to a woman and bitch at her like that?!

Share Post

Also, I didn't understand why Melanie had on all that makeup and those false eyelashes were distracting.

Share Post

My only beef with Melanie was her unnecessary bitching to the surrogate she and Derwin recognized.  For bluedilly's sake girl, you are expecting twins!  Was it really that important to go to a woman and bitch at her like that?!

Oh, that scene was horrible.  Talk about petty, self-righteous behavior.  Even with their history, I wouldn't have blamed the other woman if she'd delivered a right hook to Melanie's jaw.  

Also, can anyone tell me what is was supposed to mean when the doctor said, "African Americans....always hopeful."  It just seemed like such a random throwaway line to include....I don't know.  

I think it was just a poorly made joke that didn't land.  Like "haha, look how they prosper in the face of persecution!  Like slavery, remember?!?"  Sigh.

The comedic timing went to shit once the show moved to BET.  Most of the time, it seems like the actors kept pausing after their lines so they could hear the laugh track that was no longer there.

Share Post

I wasn't a huge fan of Keira, but I did like her scene with TeeTee, where he told her to run.  I like that she ran off to pursue her dreams, instead of ending up with Malik/Blu.  

The Mel/Derwin scenes were weird.  It felt like an add on, like they had already written and shot the finale, but decided to add them last minute.  So they shot their scenes and story line separately.  

I wanted a little more for Malik.  We already knew when the show started that he loved football.  Would have been nice to see some type of growth

Share Post

I thought Tasha having her baby was the end of it. So I caught up in two days. Insmonia yes....

The should have left it with Tasha having her baby. 

there were a lot of things that I had issue with  then I just realised. meh. Like didn't like Blue, hated Keira, whatever Mallik, I doubt that Kelly/Jason would willingly have sex in front of Grandpa especially that was the straw that broke their marriage back)...  Girl Melanie - whatever. Rookie.. whatever. Pookie was nicer with the beard, Rick Fox was over ages ago. and  9 years deserved a better finale than that.                                                                                                          

Share Post

Thought this might be interesting to other 5 of you who watched this show:  Tia has a podcast called Mostly Mom.  On a recent episode she had on Brittany Daniel (and the week before Wendy Raquel Robinson, who was hilarious!), who revealed that the reason she wasn't a part of the show when it moved to BET was because a month or two prior, she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and needed to immediately go into treatment.  She told the show and the cast, and asked them not to say anything publically about it. 

I knew she battled with cancer, but didn't realize it happened around this time.  I just remembered reading somewhere that the show creators wrote her off the show because she was white.  Glad to know this was false, cause I really couldn't understand how they could do away with Kelly Pitts, who was such a great character.

Anyway, not like it matters now.  Although I kinda miss this show, despite the end being such a damn mess!

Share Post